Most boring PvP to date!

Comments

• monsieurmojo
    monsieurmojo Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Have to agree with everything above. I jumped into this to see what it was like, and was immediately matched against a championed 4* Cage/Fist combo. My highest non-5* (non-boosted) character is probably level 188. Mega-fail on the matchmaking.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    I love it. Super fast matches and breaking through mmr was incredibly easy. Very awesome combined with double iso.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Without having played it myself, it sounds like what might be happening is that it's calculating MMR matches based on top 3 characters strength but applying that to 2 person teams. In other words, if your top 3 characters were all around level 200 (so your combined level is 600), then it's placing you against teams that have a total level of 600 (which in this case would be 2 300 level characters).
  • I wouldnt say boring, I'd say frustrating and impossible.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    The real problem with BFF is that you don't get a unique benefit for using a pair.

This is really just a 2v2 event that favors chars that work well together irrespective of if they are comic book friends.

For example, this format makes
    hulk/patch
    fist/storm
    drax/loki
    etc....
    viable and preferred teams for this type of event.

BFF should really be about selecting a few pairs and giving them enhanced bonuses.

Perhaps one issue is how would you really structure the buffs for this event?
    Could you consider them "feature" buffs ie. war machine/im40 should get a bonus buff ontop of the weekly buff list. So this event should have 2 buffs

1a. normal weekly buff
    1b. special pairs get an additional 15 level buff
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    The bit I don't understand is in the video one of the guys said something like he was the lead for developing BFF, how did that meeting go;

We need a new special Anniversary PVP
    What if we just delete the loaner and make it a couples event
    We did that at valentines
    Ok a buddy event then
    How will it be a buddy event?
    There'll just be two of them ...

That's genius - pub anyone?
  • JFisch
    JFisch Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Champion Professor X.

Suddenly all those OML/Phoenix matches are pushovers against the glass-cannon might of Prof X/IF. They don't defend for tinykitty, but what team does?
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is the matchmaking on this super broken? Because I'm only seeing teams with significantly higher levels than my own. If this was at the 900 to 1200 point mark, maybe I'd begrudgingly understand, but this started happening only a few hundred points in. Hitting 500 was way more difficult than any PvP I can remember.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    They should have done it as a variant of BoP with just the pairings boosted.
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    Yeah this is a stunning oversight.

Make it FUN and unique, not just boost random characters while providing additional artwork. Sigh.

As others have said, it should have been a very limited event and everyone should have come in pairs (you know, like best friends?).

Ugh, next time just the consult the forum or something.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    One issue for this event is they have taken a lot of 4* issued releases this year and buffed them. Miles morales, WS, war machine, Luke Cage, spiderwoman were all issued this year. I do have a championed Miles morales, but WS who has 13 covers needs s lot of ISO love. My war machine is almost fully covered at level 70 and LC and Spider woman are too new. This means 2 5* PVP is all I see and all I play. 2V2 has promise but needs the right buff list. Also with 5* in the game for a year 2V2 might be a year too late.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    I do not believe it is the fault of the event, but the fault of the imbalances power, and ability to aquire, meaningful 5*'s. That level of the game is utterly imbalanced and broken. If you're under that though, its quite diverse and fun!
  • xcience
    xcience Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    My basic experience with this is that I see nothing but 450 + level 5 Star teams. As soon as I broke over 1200... The only teams AR 2 star teams.

Although this is a giant problem the biggest problem is that the fun of this event would have been making boosted theme teams. I really wanted to play some of the teams displayed on the main splash page like Beast Professor X... But unfortunately I have never had the chance because none of them would stand up to the max 5 stars. And now that I'm over 1200 the only teams that they can go up against are completely underpowered and won't be fun.

This could have been really great and I appreciate the effort to try and bring some new things to the table but unfortunately this has been my least favorite PVP in all of the three years I played
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    wirius wrote:
    I do not believe it is the fault of the event, but the fault of the imbalances power
    That IS a problem, but it IS the fault of the event that this format BROKE MMR, and as usual, the lack of the most minimal playtesting kept this from being noticed.

I disagree with the the subject header though... it's not the most boring PvP, because I can't be bored by something I can barely play. I have no champed 5*s, and EVERY **** MATCH I see is against champed 5*s. I'm pretty damn sure there are more than a dozen people playing, but you'd never know it based on what I'm seeing.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    MMR might just be messed up because many people punched above their weight class during the off season events. I know it always happens after Balance of Power, but not sure about the off-season PVP's we had.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Yep, I'll go ahead and agree. This stinks. After clearing the 3 seed teams, I'm immediately thrown into nodes containing nothing but maxed 5* pairs. 90% OldManJean, a few IM46 thrown in for good measure. I don't even want to bother honestly. Not a fantastic way to kick off the anniversary with a tournament that's isn't fun for the majority of the playerbase...
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    scottee wrote:
    MMR might just be messed up because many people punched above their weight class during the off season events.
    Please, stop. MMR doesn't look at past events. We're not carrying ELOs across events. Hell, there's no concept of ELO matchmaking WITHIN events...

This is the same as PvE where if you're fighting one Hulk, or the Hood/Cmag combo, the scaling looks crazy because they're putting 3 characters worth of difficulty into one or two. Except in this case, no one on the crack development team realized that since WE only have a team of two, that kind of overmatching is NOT APPROPRIATE HERE.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah super high leveled opponents only is frustrating.

But on the flip side. I am not bleeding points by being hit non stop by teams 100 levels higher than me. I come back from a 4 to 8 hour break, and instead of seeing red I'm seeing blue for some defensive wins.
  • RoboDuck
    RoboDuck Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Just finished up my 3 seed teams & every single fight available to me now is atleast 60 levels above me. Skipped about 10 times & finding nothing even close to my level. This has to be bugged or something. Its never this stupid.

(Playing champed Xpool & XFW. Available fights all in 330+ range.)
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    i'd also like to cast my vote for "this sucks". bring on the next event please.