Character Rebalance Plan

Options

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Blahahah wrote:
    It's odd you say that, because I've yet to see any 5* videos put out that don't have OML in them. That is beyond the point though.
    If you're making a 3 person team in this game, and you have a well-covered OML, chances are extremely obnoxiously good that OML is always going to be a part of that team.

Why do videos matter? everyone agrees that OML is the most commonly seen 5*, followed closely by Phoenix. My point is that that is for reasons totally separate from his strength relative other 5*s. You second sentence just a restatement of the fact that OML is common.
    might even say that unless the enemy team specifically counters it (like Bss) then you have no reason not to choose him at every avenue. I don't buy that it is just "he's been out longer so people use him" because SS has been out way longer and is debated for a spot in comparison to (who else) OML. People can say that bss/gg, phx, im and them are better, but at the end of the day, OML is the one they'll use. At the end of it all, OML is still the best, even if not the strongest. Herein lies the issue between us, and that's what our definition of being "the best" is.

You claim it's because other characters do better. I say it's because those characters have to be compared to how they deal with, or compliment, OML.

Definitions certainly are important. But you make some unsupported claims here. you argue that people may say that other 5*s are better, but "at the end of the day" they will use OML. I only ever use 5*s to for lower level nodes, and I don't have any 5*s with more than 6 covers. It's anecdotal, but I can certainly say that "at the end of the day" I will use my 2/2/2 phoenix for some things and my 0/1/0 OML for others. And ignoring my own limited direct experience with 5*s, there is still evidence against your claim. Just above our discussion in this thread is a post from Jobob. He has ALL of the 5*s at 450+. There are a (relatively small) number of players in the game with a roster that strong. Why don't we ask them if they always use OML "at the end of the day." (hint: I have asked them, and they don't! sometimes they do use him, sometimes they don't. it depends on many factors. just like my own use of my now fairly deep bench of 4*s and very deep bench of 3*s.)
    Let's take BB for example, for the sake of him being the most recent. Despite his clear synergy with SS, he was only regarded as being really "good" when people mixed him with OML and saw what happened. Up until then, as I know you saw, people were saying he was mildly underwhelming.

BSS is literally only good because his passive counters OML and PHX as a team, but primarily he counters OML and that's his play in.

I disagree with this analysis. People were unsure about BB at release because everyone focused on his yellow power, which is mediocre. And his green power was somewhat analagous to Fury's yellow, which is fairly meh. We largely ignored his passive. Then people got more experience with the passive and discovered that it was REALLY good. It's basically free AP for the player, or free damage every turn. And either one is great!
    In fact, it's been evidenced that the only time you'd use BSS/GG is to counter the OML/PHX team specifically. Otherwise, there isn't much point to it. I see it as a problem when how good a character is falls squarely on how they interact with one single character. As much as you'd like to deny it, for a VAST majority of players it is true. OML is probably the most complained about character in the current day, and the joke "Only character who matters" moniker didn't come from nowhere. One character shouldn't define an entire meta from the ground up, but OML does, and you know he does.

How has it been evidenced? I am told that every single person uses OML all the time, so who is using BSS/GG to counter him? icon_e_wink.gif But I don't really know if your 'otherwise' statement is fair. If Team X is a great counter to Team Y, does it necessarily follow that the components of Team X have no other value. There are several posts on the forums suggesting BSS is the best 5*. Same for GG. BSS is a good counter to OML or Phoenix because of the strikes, but he can also be annoying to fight because he goes invisible so easily. and his blue can hit very hard for just 6ap if you build around it. GG has a very powerful black, an awesome mechanic in fortifying tiles, and a great utility power with purple. Surely you can see that he is very strong on offense?

As for defining the meta, OML only defines the 5* meta because he was the first really good 5*. Thorverine defined the 4* meta for a while because they were the first really good ones to be released. But when there were nerfed, IMHB and JG defined the 4* meta for a while. Should jeanbuster have been nerfed as well? In that case XDP and Iceman would have defined the meta. And if THEY had been nerfed, then Cyc and Rulk would have defined the meta. SOMEONE is always going to be first character around at a new, higher tier of power. That character will become the measuring stick. It doesn't necessarily mean they are too powerful.
    So again, for those at the 0.01% who already don't use OML, him being changed won't shake anything up. According to you, there's plenty of other options already and that works out. For the rest of us at the 99.9% who have to shape our gameplans around having, not having, or going against OML, it matters more to us. I'd say name me one other 5* who affects the meta in the way OML does, but that character doesn't exist. That character hasn't existed since OML came out.

There actually AREN'T many other options for most players. The problem isn't that OML is too powerful. It's that 5*s are too hard to get, and most people who have a useable set of 5*s will have OML and Pheonix and SS. And they will use PML and Phoenix because that's the best team from those 3. But that's ONLY true of the first flight of people to have 5*s. They were able to collect LTs last fall and winter, when there were fewer 5*s and the odds were better of getting one of the early ones. Early 5*s players tend to have deeper, narrower benches with more covers focused on the first few releases. Players who only started earning LTs later on will have a broader spattering of covers spread out among all 10 5*s. Moving forward, characters will start to get other 5*s as their first usable 5*. That is very likely to be true for me. I already have more covers of recent 5*s than I do of OML. You can bet that I won't be pining for a missing OML if I manage to 8 or 10 BB or IM46 covers. OML is very good and I would use him if I had him. But the players who have options at the 5* tier are telling you that OML is not the "one and only 5*." Any reasonable analysis of 5* powersets will reveal that other 5*s are better options for winning a single match than OML. He is not the best, and his ubiquity has much more to do with extrinsic factors than it does with him being OP. If he is nerfed, then we will just start to see lots of Phoenix teams (or SS teams if he is buffed and becomes strong) because those are the oldest 5*s. If 5*s became easier to get, or if we were to look a year or two into the future, you would not see nearly as many OML teams because people would have other viable options.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Blahahah wrote:
    If you don't touch the one reason people bring him along, then nothing changes.

Shave the power off of all 5 cover levels, make him a tactical choice and not just a health pack saver. ESPECIALLY at lower levels though.
    I thought the problem was he did everything well? Now healing is "the one reason people bring him along." ?

What is wrong with a health pack saver? They exist at every level. It's an important role to be filled.

Patch is a great parallel to OML. If we turned back the clock to a very early 3* game, and then out comes 3* Spidey and Patch... And slowly 8 more non-regen characters were added, including Cage, IF, SW, but 99% of players only had Spidey and Patch covered, people would whine about how OP Patch was. Obviously, though... Just because he's the best that most people have covered at that point, and just because he's a health pack saver, I think we can agree he wouldn't legitimately be an OP 3*.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'd love to see D3 take a gradual approach to character balance like they started with 4* Falcon. Bump some of the numbers, track things for a month or so and then revisit as needed.

KEEP THINGS SIMPLE.

That said I am babinro....known partially for wanting everything nerfed in the name of balance. So in that spirit I will point out a couple of actual power reworks I feel would benefit the game.

1) Nerf JG's Purple
    I complained about this when she was released and my opinion has never really changed. The damage of the skill isn't so bad with power creep these days but the idea that a her 'kicker' removes 6 special tiles for NO real cost in terms of damage or AP cost has always been ridiculous. That's not a tacked on bonus and I feel it actively hurt characters like Thing and KP.

How do you fix it?
    Take your pick. A) Reduce the AoE damage substantially. B) Make the damage single target C) Retain the damage but reduce the kicker to 1 tile that you can select. D) Apply the purple kicker to her blue passive instead. When an enemy makes a crit she damages them and destroys special tiles. This would potentially entice build changes.

2) Nerf Juggernaut OR Buff other 1*'s
    Tons of people can live off ddq with Juggs on his own. If ever there was a sign of a potential imbalance in 1* tier that's it.

3) Nerf Ares OR Buff other 2* single target damage dealers.
    Given that 2*'s are limited from champion bonuses I'm inclined to say that others should actually be buffed. Ares is essentially the Juggs of 2* tier. He's a high damage, high health powerhouse who makes others in his tier feel weak.

4) Rework EVERY character that has a mechanic that revolves around them tanking damage. This just doesn't work in a game with boosted characters and championed levels. The only exception is Colossus because of how his yellow operates.

Vision, Captain Marvel, Xavier, 3* Hulk, Gamora black....all need those skills need to be retooled IMO. Find a way to keep the spirit of those skills without depending on the match damage tanking mechanic. Tie them all to CD tiles if you have to but figure out a way to make these characters more universal.

5) Invisible Woman: Reduce her Green to 6 AP
    Seriously, that's about all she needs. This character is FUN to play and she's a unique character. Acknowledge the fact that green is ONLY good when it's followed by blue and reduce the cost to reflect this. There's absolutely no reason the blue/green combo should cost 19 total AP. Significantly buffing the defensive values on her her yellow power would go a long way to making people second guess her best build as well.

7) Buff all active protect tile skills.
    Stop equating 1 protect to 1 strike tile. That math doesn't work out in MPQ's reality. Skills that focus heavily on protect tiles need to improve drastically. Mags yellow, Falcon purple, IW's yellow just don't cut it. Cage, Thing and MrF are examples of this working pretty well because they are all passively added or in the case of MrF it's added as a kicker to improve an already strong stun skill.

8) Elektra - Let her purple target attack, strike, CD and protect tiles.
    A simple fix like this would make this character far more appealing.

9) TRAP tiles can no longer be overwritten by other special tiles.
    This simple change would be a HUGE buff for plenty of characters who really need it. The simple fact that red strikes shut down DD and Elektra traps are what kills those characters. This simple change wouldn't make Fury or Doom OP either. You can still counter traps with cascade effects.

That was fun...and while it was probably a waste of my time here's hoping we see some positive changes in terms of character balance.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jobob wrote:
    Patch and Daken need nerfs, since they are the 3* OML, and thus cosmically OP.

I must not know how to use Patch very well because I think he's silly.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:

Why do videos matter? everyone agrees that OML is the most commonly seen 5*, followed closely by Phoenix. My point is that that is for reasons totally separate from his strength relative other 5*s. You second sentence just a restatement of the fact that OML is common.

They don't, which is why I said "that is beyond the point.". Yes OML is common, but it's because he is strong enough that anyone and everyone can use him, and for a vast majority of players, they are worse off for not doing so.

Definitions certainly are important. But you make some unsupported claims here. you argue that people may say that other 5*s are better, but "at the end of the day" they will use OML. I only ever use 5*s to for lower level nodes, and I don't have any 5*s with more than 6 covers. It's anecdotal, but I can certainly say that "at the end of the day" I will use my 2/2/2 phoenix for some things and my 0/1/0 OML for others. And ignoring my own limited direct experience with 5*s, there is still evidence against your claim. Just above our discussion in this thread is a post from Jobob. He has ALL of the 5*s at 450+. There are a (relatively small) number of players in the game with a roster that strong. Why don't we ask them if they always use OML "at the end of the day." (hint: I have asked them, and they don't! sometimes they do use him, sometimes they don't. it depends on many factors. just like my own use of my now fairly deep bench of 4*s and very deep bench of 3*s.)

The claims aren't completely unsupported, because Jobob has verified that OML would be the one he kept out of all of them if he had to choose. You don't just pick a "He isn't that good maybe top 5 at best" character over all of the others unless there is some big lapse in scaling. OML would be the character he picked. For a majority of people, OML is the one they would pick too. The problem isn't his strength, as I've said lots of times, it's the fact that 9/10 times he is the best option. Yes, supposing you wouldn't always use him if you had a better option, but that's selecting niche. I'd never use Antman's Blue at 5 covers normally, but put me up against Luke/IF/HB/OML and you'll see me steal everything. That doesn't mean that 5 blue is a better option, and it doesn't mean I won't swap him back to purple after I'm done stealing everything. It means that, yes, there is situations where there ARE better options, but it's hard to deny after you've used your BSS to counter someone that he can fight for that spot OML needs. In your situation, you're openly comparing a 6 cover phoenix with a one cover OML and even then you're saying that the OML contends for a spot. How is that not imbalanced?

I disagree with this analysis. People were unsure about BB at release because everyone focused on his yellow power, which is mediocre. And his green power was somewhat analagous to Fury's yellow, which is fairly meh. We largely ignored his passive. Then people got more experience with the passive and discovered that it was REALLY good. It's basically free AP for the player, or free damage every turn. And either one is great!

I don't disagree, because his passive was the first thing people focused on. The idea of charged tiles and the passive was a topic of discussion up until the numbers dropped. Thats when people started looking into yellow and green. The passive was always on the table, but I recall distinctly that it wasn't until people mentioned dipping with OML strikes that people took it with any weight. I remember people even debating if he was around Hulk tier. (Also admittedly it took me a second to realize you were referring to Black Bolt and not Bruce Banner)

How has it been evidenced? I am told that every single person uses OML all the time, so who is using BSS/GG to counter him? icon_e_wink.gif But I don't really know if your 'otherwise' statement is fair. If Team X is a great counter to Team Y, does it necessarily follow that the components of Team X have no other value. There are several posts on the forums suggesting BSS is the best 5*. Same for GG. BSS is a good counter to OML or Phoenix because of the strikes, but he can also be annoying to fight because he goes invisible so easily. and his blue can hit very hard for just 6ap if you build around it. GG has a very powerful black, an awesome mechanic in fortifying tiles, and a great utility power with purple. Surely you can see that he is very strong on offense?

GG, yes. BSS, specically, no. There's several posts on the forums suggesting a lot of things, but I'm doubtful that any of them honestly put the assumption that BSS is solid on his own out there with no regard to, say, how he handles OML and PHX which is the most common team out there. But yeah, no, GG is actually ludicrously strong. I'd believe him for being the best 5* if the AI weren't terrible with him.

As for defining the meta, OML only defines the 5* meta because he was the first really good 5*. Thorverine defined the 4* meta for a while because they were the first really good ones to be released. But when there were nerfed, IMHB and JG defined the 4* meta for a while. Should jeanbuster have been nerfed as well? In that case XDP and Iceman would have defined the meta. And if THEY had been nerfed, then Cyc and Rulk would have defined the meta. SOMEONE is always going to be first character around at a new, higher tier of power. That character will become the measuring stick. It doesn't necessarily mean they are too powerful.

The problem is I'm not referring to the 5* meta, though it's good to know he dominates that too. OML dominates pretty much all but the 1* meta, maybe early 2* meta. The moment someone gets their hands on an OML yellow cover, the game changes completely for them. 3* players are using OML as a benchmark, I probably don't need to point out that such a thing never happened for SS or PHX or BSS. Even at that relatively low level of play, OML decides if you can compete for top placement or not, because not having him (or his yellow, specifically) more or less decides if you can compete with people who do. No character should have that kind of sway.

There actually AREN'T many other options for most players. The problem isn't that OML is too powerful. It's that 5*s are too hard to get, and most people who have a useable set of 5*s will have OML and Pheonix and SS. And they will use PML and Phoenix because that's the best team from those 3. But that's ONLY true of the first flight of people to have 5*s. They were able to collect LTs last fall and winter, when there were fewer 5*s and the odds were better of getting one of the early ones. Early 5*s players tend to have deeper, narrower benches with more covers focused on the first few releases. Players who only started earning LTs later on will have a broader spattering of covers spread out among all 10 5*s. Moving forward, characters will start to get other 5*s as their first usable 5*. That is very likely to be true for me. I already have more covers of recent 5*s than I do of OML. You can bet that I won't be pining for a missing OML if I manage to 8 or 10 BB or IM46 covers. OML is very good and I would use him if I had him. But the players who have options at the 5* tier are telling you that OML is not the "one and only 5*." Any reasonable analysis of 5* powersets will reveal that other 5*s are better options for winning a single match than OML. He is not the best, and his ubiquity has much more to do with extrinsic factors than it does with him being OP. If he is nerfed, then we will just start to see lots of Phoenix teams (or SS teams if he is buffed and becomes strong) because those are the oldest 5*s. If 5*s became easier to get, or if we were to look a year or two into the future, you would not see nearly as many OML teams because people would have other viable options.

The problem isn't him being the strongest, for the eleventh time. I'm fully aware that other characters are stronger than him, in terms of numbers it's not surprising. The problem isn't him in terms of the 5* tier, which comprises what... 0.01% of the playerbase MAYBE at the most. The problem is that OML dictates if you can compete or not long before you should even be concerned about 5* tier. For a lot of players, that yellow cover means the difference between top 10 and top 100. You're right that, given time, everyone would be on equal covers and maybe, just maybe, OML will only be on half as many teams rather than 80% of them. Until then, the fact of the matter is that OML's healing and power at one cover is probably equal in value to most other characters at 7 to 8 covers. That's a problem.

When you have entire subsections of people whom lack this one cover and thus are heavily disadvantaged against those that do, that is a problem.

OML doesn't NEED to be healing that much. He doesn't NEED that power early on. Nerfing his healing to make getting/not getting him less decisive would be almost a non-factor for top level players whom, by your claim, don't even need the character. Changing his aim to be a "transform him for value" rather than a "sit here and gimme swords kthx" would make him interesting and a tactical choice, and not a mandatory one outside of choice situations. The problem lies in the fact that he is the BEST 5* to have, even if he isn't the strongest 5* at 13 covers. He only needs one to change the way you and everyone around you experiences the game. That is a problem.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I can see, and even accept a nerf to OML. As long as he isn't knee capped.

However, my suggestion, as with other posters on here, is to start with the buffs. Give that some time, and then look at things again. Nerfs may not even be needed at all.
    If they are going on "how often certain characters are used", then make the useless ones useful. I promise, more people will start using them.

Now if a nerf is completely necessary. I beg you to please, do not over do it like you have in the past with almost every single one you have ever done.

If nerfs do happen, and they are done correctly, then I can, and will accept it as necessary and continue to support you guys. Even if Peggy is on the nerf list. I can accept a minor nerf to her. I won't like it, since I don't think she needs it, but I'll deal with it. However, in anticipation of this, I'm going to hold off spending any more money until I know for sure what is, or isn't, going to happen.

Seriously, I'm always on here supporting you guys/gals over at Demiurge. I continue to have faith in you, and I believe in you. I've posted many times defending you guys and thanking you all for the awesome work being done.

So please do not make a fool out of me. I do not like that. Not one bit. I hate being made a fool of so much in fact, that I state publicly here and now:....

"If Demiurge nerfs Peggy into uselessness, I swear, I will Uninstall MPQ that very day and never look back. I'll just consider the 10's of thousands I've spent over 3 accounts for the past 2.5 years a lesson learned and move on".

commandpointsbig.png JCT commandpointsbig.png
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Options
    jobob wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:
    If you don't touch the one reason people bring him along, then nothing changes.

Shave the power off of all 5 cover levels, make him a tactical choice and not just a health pack saver. ESPECIALLY at lower levels though.
    I thought the problem was he did everything well? Now healing is "the one reason people bring him along." ?

What is wrong with a health pack saver? They exist at every level. It's an important role to be filled.

Patch is a great parallel to OML. If we turned back the clock to a very early 3* game, and then out comes 3* Spidey and Patch... And slowly 8 more non-regen characters were added, including Cage, IF, SW, but 99% of players only had Spidey and Patch covered, people would whine about how OP Patch was. Obviously, though... Just because he's the best that most people have covered at that point, and just because he's a health pack saver, I think we can agree he wouldn't legitimately be an OP 3*.
    Except Patch isn't a health pack saver, per se. His green kinda invalidates that, Daken requires blue, Spidey isn't true-heal.

He does do everything well. This includes healing, which is why most people bring him along. He is A tier in everything, S tier in healing. Those aren't mutually exclusive ideas.

Nothing. Now when that healthpack saver exists in every single tier and solely decides if you can compete with others based on if you do or don't have him, that's an issue.

If Patch gave you free tiles with no downside, healed for 200 more every turn, did about 1k for a match-4, had a good color combination, and had about 4000 more health? Yeah people would probably complain, especially if he did all that only needing two covers and both of those abilities were free.

However, he doesn't do any of those things. The fact that he spits out tiles for the opponent makes it an apples-and-oranges comparison. Imagine if Patch had no downside to his abilities and his yellow healed for more, then yeah people would complain for more reason than just him saving some health packs.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm sure there's no plan to nerf a character 'into uselessness'. They're clearly aiming to increase the diversity of teams, in pvp and (presumably) elsewhere. The post clearly indicates a desire to start small, make tweaks, examine, and continue to make tweaks.

For one character to dominate the meta game is clearly not desirable, whether or not they are "the best".

Let's stop blindly assuming that d3 and demiurge are just blindly taking characters that are "overused" and nerf-batting them until we stop using them. (Yes, I know that's happened in the past. Magneto and 4 Thor are hardly unusable today, however)

This seems like a new design team (wasn't Will J-H the lead designer at the last video?) Let's give them a chance.
  • Quest34
    Quest34 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Options
    If You flipped the release of OML with BSS, Green Goblin, Black Bolt, or IM46. The conversation would be about how anyone of them should be nerfed and not OML.

My best comparison would be If X23 was the first 4 star released she would have been considered so oppressive. Easy true healing, one strong attack and one nuke. Could pair well with daken, another true healer to excelerate her skill. Now she is Mid tier and I feel that Oml is upper tier in 5 star world but not oppressive.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    Blahahah wrote:

The problem isn't him being the strongest, for the eleventh time. I'm fully aware that other characters are stronger than him, in terms of numbers it's not surprising. The problem isn't him in terms of the 5* tier, which comprises what... 0.01% of the playerbase MAYBE at the most. The problem is that OML dictates if you can compete or not long before you should even be concerned about 5* tier. For a lot of players, that yellow cover means the difference between top 10 and top 100. You're right that, given time, everyone would be on equal covers and maybe, just maybe, OML will only be on half as many teams rather than 80% of them. Until then, the fact of the matter is that OML's healing and power at one cover is probably equal in value to most other characters at 7 to 8 covers. That's a problem.

When you have entire subsections of people whom lack this one cover and thus are heavily disadvantaged against those that do, that is a problem.

OML doesn't NEED to be healing that much. He doesn't NEED that power early on. Nerfing his healing to make getting/not getting him less decisive would be almost a non-factor for top level players whom, by your claim, don't even need the character. Changing his aim to be a "transform him for value" rather than a "sit here and gimme swords kthx" would make him interesting and a tactical choice, and not a mandatory one outside of choice situations. The problem lies in the fact that he is the BEST 5* to have, even if he isn't the strongest 5* at 13 covers. He only needs one to change the way you and everyone around you experiences the game. That is a problem.

My OML is 0/1/0. He isn't all that powerful. he has 10.5k health and heals 600-odd points each turn. I use him to grind PVE trivial nodes. I use nova + OML + IF. It's pretty fast and I enjoy it, but if I didn't have oml, I would just use x23 or xpool, or xfw or boosted R&G or daken or patch to the same effect. And my scaling tends to top out around 350 or so, and I generally can't find any non cc teams without at least 1 370 character in PVP. My OML is hopeless against such opponents. I can assure that you there is absolutely no one who COULD NOT do better than top 100 in any event, PVE or PVP, with a given roster, but COULD reach top 10 with the same roster + a single OML yellow cover.

If you are a 4* player like me, then PVE scaling and PVP MMR will make your OML laughably useless once you reach the hard nodes/high scores. If you are a 2* or 3* player, then OML might remain viable longer into your PVE set, but he will still struggle against level 200+ opponents, and you could probably do just as well without him, because you scaling will be set to your 2* or 3* roster. And you can still forget about PVP above 500 points with a 0/1/0 OML.

Now maybe a 6 or 7 cover OML would be a different story. A 2/2/2 OML would probably be a useful addition to my team in PVE. But I suspect that might also be true of a 2/3/1 IM46, or a 1/5/1 Phoenix, or a 2/3/1 GG. And I assure you that a 6 cover OML would be a big liability for me in PVP. I am just a lowly 4 star player with only 9 4* champs, and even I hunt for low-cover OMLs during my climb. They have low health and go down nice and easy. What do you imagine players with 370+ boosted 4* champs or real 5*s will do to that same low-cover OML?

I like OML a lot, and I would never suggest that he is bad. But I routinely hit 1300+ in pvp, have finished top 10 in new character release events, and have never once used my OML in ANY maximum difficulty match. I am hardly the best MPQ player in this thread, let alone in the game, and my roster is so-so by 4* standards. I don't list my credentials or accomplishments, such as they are, to brag, but to illustrate that you don't need to have him to compete. He just isn't what you think he is.
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Dormammu wrote:
    jobob wrote:
    Patch and Daken need nerfs, since they are the 3* OML, and thus cosmically OP.

I must not know how to use Patch very well because I think he's silly.

Patch can be great, but he requires specific partners and a fairly specific strategy. If you are using his green and then letting the enemy strike back at you, you are doing it wrong. You need to follow up in some way to prevent that before the end of the turn, whether by destroying or converting the enemy tiles you made, or by stunning or defeating the enemies that would be capable of counter attack.
  • Blykmyk
    Blykmyk Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I wonder if they realize that one of the biggest hit to team composition was when they nerfed the boost to three stars. When a guy like Bullseye or Rocket/Groot were boosted in the old game it was kinda fun to use them on teams and the boosted powers.

Now...even if Thor is boosted he isn't worth using more than you would because the scaling is so average.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    Jaedenkaal wrote:
    I'm sure there's no plan to nerf a character 'into uselessness'. They're clearly aiming to increase the diversity of teams, in pvp and (presumably) elsewhere. The post clearly indicates a desire to start small, make tweaks, examine, and continue to make tweaks.

For one character to dominate the meta game is clearly not desirable, whether or not they are "the best".

Let's stop blindly assuming that d3 and demiurge are just blindly taking characters that are "overused" and nerf-batting them until we stop using them. (Yes, I know that's happened in the past. Magneto and 4 Thor are hardly unusable today, however)

This seems like a new design team (wasn't Will J-H the lead designer at the last video?) Let's give them a chance.

Promoting roster diversity is exactly the same thing as reducing the "overuse" of certain character (though I definitely agree that this doesn't necessarily need to be accomplished by nerfing the most-used characters). We are not blindly assuming, we are interpreting Demi's statement.

As for "small tweaks" that's also what they said prior to nerfing Sentry, Thor, and Xfw. I don't want to get into a discussion about whether those characters should have been nerfed. But I think most people agree that the particular nerfs given to those characters were all too strong. Of course they don't plan to nerf anyone into oblivion. It just happens anyway. They took arguably OP characters and rendered them effectively dead for meta purposes. Sentry is barely worth using at all. Thor was only resurrected by IM40's redesign, and XFW is basically too fragile to do anything in the current 4* environment unless boosted. Demi's philosophy in the past has been to nerf characters in multiple ways to make sure that they only have to do the nerf once. But the frequent result has been that that they go too far and render the character useless.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Like I said, this seems like a new team, different from the nerfhammer team from last year and before (When did they nerf a character last? Ragnarok?)

Let's give them a chance and see what they can do. They've rather plainly committed to multiple rounds of off-season changes as needed to promote roster diversity.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jaedenkaal wrote:

You're right. We should give them a chance. That's exactly what I plan to do. And if they nerf certain characters that need it, then fine. I'll accept it. As long as it's done correctly. Like someone else said above. "They don't plan to nerf them into uselessness, it just happens." They could do a tiny nerf to tweak the numbers just a bit. Then if it's not enough, do a little more later on after rechecking the data. But instead, they tend to do it all at once resulting in over nerfs.

See, when it comes to nerfs, they don't exactly have the best track record. Sentry, Hood, 4thor, Venom, Moonstone, Xforce and all the 3* just to name a few. All nerfed far more than they needed to be. Yes, they were over powered, but the nerfs they received were more than they needed.

And I'll say it again, I have faith in Demiurge and believe in them. They have made some truly great changes the past few months. They are most definitely on a roll and taking MPQ to heights that it's never seen. And I believe the guys/gals over at Demi will continue to take it higher. To a much better place.

But right now there is only one character I care about. Not because she has powerful abilities. Not because her animations are wonderfully done. But for personal reasons. (fun fact: everytime I make a post, or go past an old one, I stop and watch my sig banner play thru 3 - 4 times. just to see her in action).

I love Peggy just the way she is and I don't think she should be changed in anyway. But if she were nerfed, I could deal with it. As long as she isn't made useless.

Like if her red no longer ignored enemy protect tiles. Or if it ignored protect tiles and just did 15% less damage.

Or her yellow only increased enemy ap cost by 3 or even 2 instead of 4. Or if it increases enemy ap cost by 4, but places a count down tile every time an ally fires a power. As long as Peggy had at least one count down tile on the board, all enemy ap costs were increased by 4.

Or if her blue only stunned the one enemy in front instead of the 2 in the back. Or if she only put out 2 CD's instead of 3. Or just reduce the Damage by her 3 CD's by 10%. Or only stun the 2 enemies in the back for 2 turns instead of 3.

Changes like that I can accept. I won't like them, but i can accept them. Anything more than that is just too much. And by too much, I mean I'm done. For good. Because I truly believe Peggy is perfect just the way she is.

And I'll say this again, when it comes to nerfs, Demiurge doesn't exactly have the best track record. However, lately, they've been making some truly amazing changes.

So for now, I'm going to wait and see. Give them the benefit of the doubt and continue to have faith in the Demi Gods. I just pray that my faith and loyalty is rewarded by Peggy being spared the nerf bat beat down.

commandpointsbig.png JCT commandpointsbig.png

P.S. a simple solution to stop players from using the same characters over an over is to give everyone enough iso to actually max them. That way we could use more than the 4 - 5 we have that are the only ones leveled high enough to survive the insane scaling.

*edit for spelling
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So for now, I'm going to wait and see. Give them the benefit of the doubt and continue to have faith in the Demi Gods. I just pray that my faith and loyalty is rewarded by Peggy being spared the nerf bat beat down.

Send my Peggy some covers. I'll protect her.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    Jaedenkaal wrote:
    Like I said, this seems like a new team, different from the nerfhammer team from last year and before (When did they nerf a character last? Ragnarok?)

Let's give them a chance and see what they can do. They've rather plainly committed to multiple rounds of off-season changes as needed to promote roster diversity.

I agree that we should wait and see what they do before we burn the forums down.

That said, I think it's worth vocalizing player concerns. I think the last major character revisions were vision and Quicksilver. Those were at least small, they just didn't make much impact (though QS is a bit better now). The last time they really aggressively nerfed a character was Thorverine in spring 2015. (Rags was a redesign that was intended as a buff). And they used similar language to explain the thorverine nerfs. They also used similar language when explaining why they stealth-nerfed 3* boosting when the champion system rolled out. I think some caution is warranted.

I also don't know that I agree with JCT's "demiurge has done a lot of amazing things recently" argument. I think there have been some signficant quality of life improvements from demi in the past two months. But I also think that some of them were late, too small, and fixed problems that had been obvious and were sources of player frustration for many months (e.g. the 1-cover 5* scaling problems for lower roster or the iso economy). They also pushed some fairly bizarre format changes through in PVP, and there are still some real problems in the game (e.g., RNG-only roster progression in 5* tier). I think it's possible to praise demi for the positives (Thanks for the good changes demi!) without forgetting about the negatives (Please don't think the iso economy is fixed by shield ranks, and please fix the 5* transition curve!), and while continuing to advocate for additional player-friendly changes (buff the weak characters instead of nerfing the strong ones! Don't nerf an older good character just because they are old and not really OP!).
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You're right. We should give them a chance. That's exactly what I plan to do. And if they nerf certain characters that need it, then fine. I'll accept it. As long as it's done correctly. Like someone else said above. "They don't plan to nerf them into uselessness, it just happens." They could do a tiny nerf to tweak the numbers just a bit. Then if it's not enough, do a little more later on after rechecking the data. But instead, they tend to do it all at once resulting in over nerfs.

See, when it comes to nerfs, they don't exactly have the best track record. Sentry, Hood, 4thor, Venom, Moonstone, Xforce and all the 3* just to name a few. All nerfed far more than they needed to be. Yes, they were over powered, but the nerfs they received were more than they needed.

In the past they tried to make all their changes to a character in one go, if this is actually meant to be an ongoing process then it doesn't seem unreasonable to think that they are going to take a much lighter hand when it comes to any tweaks.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Blahahah wrote:
    Except Patch isn't a health pack saver, per se. His green kinda invalidates that, Daken requires blue, Spidey isn't true-heal.
    If Patch isn't a health pack saver because of his green, then OML isn't a health pack saver because of his red & black. But, as every 3* user will tell you... Patch is most definitely a health pack saver.
    He does do everything well. This includes healing, which is why most people bring him along. He is A tier in everything, S tier in healing. Those aren't mutually exclusive ideas.
    Of course he does everything well when you compare him to 4* and 3*! Cap is A/S tier in everything if you use that metric.
    solely decides if you can compete with others based on if you do or don't have him, that's an issue.
    ...I think you are over-stating OML's usefulness. I guarantee you that if you were running Iron Man/BSS you could compete with anyone running OML/Phx. And that's not speculation, I'm telling you from experience that when I upgraded from OML/Phx to OML/BSS to GG/BSS to 5IM/BSS... my scores and placement got better each time.
    If Patch gave you free tiles with no downside, healed for 200 more every turn, did about 1k for a match-4, had a good color combination, and had about 4000 more health? Yeah people would probably complain, especially if he did all that only needing two covers and both of those abilities were free.

However, he doesn't do any of those things. The fact that he spits out tiles for the opponent makes it an apples-and-oranges comparison. Imagine if Patch had no downside to his abilities and his yellow healed for more, then yeah people would complain for more reason than just him saving some health packs.
    Patch is a 3*, OML is a 5*. No one is arguing that Patch is better than OML. But if this were a 2* game, and he was one of just a handful of 3*, people would talk about how much better he was than SW or IF or Cage or IM40 or any of the other top 3* because he tanks, he heals, and he dishes out tons of damage compared to 2* and under-covered 3*.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Frankly, I'm terrified all we will see are significant nerfs to top tier characters. Outside of the IM40 buff, it's what they've done in the past.
    The buffs we will get will be minimal, at the level of the almost unnoticeable one Captain Falcon got several months ago, and the Quicksilver one. Quicksilver is only good when boosted, and didn't change the 3-Star power rankings at all.

We simply do not know if a max Moon Knight, Winter Soldier, or War Machine will supplant any of the mostly agreed upon top 5 4-Star characters (4Clops, Iceman, Red Hulk, Jean Grey, Hulkbuster) in the power rankings because they are so rarely maxed, let alone highly covered to be usable. That's not even including the ones that have most recently been released either (though Spider Woman looks weak and could use a buff).
    The issue of accessibility & usability (I'm not going to put ISO into a 4-Star with less than 6 covers when I have others that are near cover max) is a huge one when looking at use metrics.

The obvious 4-Stars that need a buff are Totally Terrible Hulk, Spider-Gwen, Mr. Fantastic, & Star-Lord at a minimum. Captain Falcon, Elektra, Xforce, & Lady Thor are probably in that next tier. Again, the last 5 to 6 4-Star releases I have no idea how good they are cause I don't get covers for them. Kate Bishop, Punisher Max, & Spider Woman don't look that great, and even Nova is kinda meh, but I simply don't know due to accessibility.
    Gotta love game progression that is 100% RNG...