MPQ At Marvel.com: Spider-Woman & S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank

Comments

• The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    "I can’t wait to tell you guys about her pheromone secretion"

I think that says everything we need to know.

Dude never learned: Don't secrete and tell.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    I cant wait... this will be the longest weekend ever icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hi,

A quick note on some of the thinking behind S.H.I.E.L.D. Ranks and S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Levels.

These systems have been worked on behind-the-scenes for some time now and the teams at Demiurge and D3 Go! are pretty excited to finally be bringing them to you very soon. The hope here - and the reason these new features are coming in - is to give players what they have been asking for; improved rewards, improved matchmaking, more choice, recognition of veteran status, and more ways to reward everyone for simply playing the game. These are lofty goals, but hopefully we can hit all or most of them.

I know some of the more cynical folks out there will not want to believe this, but the new S.H.I.E.L.D. Ranks & Clearance levels were not created to gouge players for cash. We consider them quality-of-life changes and improvements to the game. Hopefully, once parts 1 & 2 arrive on Monday and part 3 arrives with R109 in a few weeks, players will consider the updates to be awesome additions. Please play with the new features for a bit once they are in place and let us know what you feel is, and isn't, working for you.

Thanks for reading.

Thanks for the feedback Hi-Fi!

Unfortunately for demi/d3, I think some level of cynicism is the inevitable result of a freemium game model. When players are forced to make almost every in-game decision in "how much $$ is this worth to me?" terms, then it's easy to assume that the dev team is doing the same thing. And I think to some extent, that's appropriate. It's one of the things I hate most about gaming in a micro-transaction world.

That said, I think it's important for us players to remember that, by and large, the devs and publishers probably just want a game that is lots of fun to play AND profitable. So it's not exactly fair of us to assume that everything is designed *just* to gouge cash from the players.

This is a very enjoyable game that I have been playing for a little over 2 years (got my SS black last week, even with having missed 15-30 days here and there), but there are an awful of lot of quality of life improvements that could be made. I am cautiously optimistic that rank and clearance levels are going to be an improvement (if not a panacea). I look forward to learning more about the new systems next week and beyond!

Thanks as always for the communication.
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    broll wrote:
    Can you answer if part 3 is the final part and if not how many parts until everything is released?

It's difficult to give an absolute answer to that but, basically part 3 will be the last part for S.H.I.E.L.D. Ranks & Clearance Levels for now.

The next steps will be assessment and any needed tweaking. (For example, this won't solve every concern regarding matchmaking, but it should be a big step in the right direction). I don't believe there is a part 4 being actively worked on right now.
  • Cthulhu
    Cthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 410 Site Admin
    "I can’t wait to tell you guys about her pheromone secretion"

I think that says everything we need to know.

Dude never learned: Don't secrete and tell.

Haha, I didn't make up her abilities! How could I not have fun with that?
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hi,

A quick note on some of the thinking behind S.H.I.E.L.D. Ranks and S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Levels.

These systems have been worked on behind-the-scenes for some time now and the teams at Demiurge and D3 Go! are pretty excited to finally be bringing them to you very soon. The hope here - and the reason these new features are coming in - is to give players what they have been asking for; improved rewards, improved matchmaking, more choice, recognition of veteran status, and more ways to reward everyone for simply playing the game. These are lofty goals, but hopefully we can hit all or most of them.

I know some of the more cynical folks out there will not want to believe this, but the new S.H.I.E.L.D. Ranks & Clearance Levels were not created to gouge players for cash. We consider them quality-of-life changes and improvements to the game. Hopefully, once parts 1 & 2 arrive on Monday and part 3 arrives with R109 in a few weeks, players will consider the updates to be awesome additions. Please play with the new features for a bit once they are in place and let us know what you feel is, and isn't, working for you.

Thanks for reading.

Since I am quick to criticise poor communication, I also need to give props when warranted. This is a very honest, genuine-sounding post, devoid of corporatese and quick to address the concerns of players. Coming on top of a properly-hyped, potentially awesome feature, I have to say this is all I ever asked. Please keep up the good work.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hi,

I know some of the more cynical folks out there will not want to believe this, but the new S.H.I.E.L.D. Ranks & Clearance levels were not created to gouge players for cash. We consider them quality-of-life changes and improvements to the game. Hopefully, once parts 1 & 2 arrive on Monday and part 3 arrives with R109 in a few weeks, players will consider the updates to be awesome additions. Please play with the new features for a bit once they are in place and let us know what you feel is, and isn't, working for you.

Thanks for reading.

only concern i have is if this update been play tested and won't be bugged. anything that will help QoL is greatly appreciated, but if not tested it can become like the bug that was supposed to send 5 covers but instead only sent 2 cover powers from championed characters. good idea but poorly executed. and messed us up for 3 weeks.
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    Punter1 wrote:
    Part 3 of a Trilogy always sucks though... icon_e_wink.gif
    Well, not always... Toy Story 3, Iron Man 3, Captain America: Civil War, The Dark Knight Rises.

You had me till TDKR
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hi,

I know some of the more cynical folks out there will not want to believe this, but the new S.H.I.E.L.D. Ranks & Clearance Levels were not created to gouge players for cash. We consider them quality-of-life changes and improvements to the game. Hopefully, once parts 1 & 2 arrive on Monday and part 3 arrives with R109 in a few weeks, players will consider the updates to be awesome additions. Please play with the new features for a bit once they are in place and let us know what you feel is, and isn't, working for you.

Thanks for reading.

I am really hopeful these features are going to be very good and will serve as a motivation to keep playing.

The game has stalled completely for me in the last season, so this feature is something I really need. And I need it to be good, if they are not I will probably leave the game (after almost 3 years).

This is why I believe that this is not a cash grab, I really do so, because I think Devs have noticed a lot of vets and mini whales, like me, are leaving. So this is not a cash grab at all, this is a new feature to keep as interested in the game, which is what we all wanted. This doesnt need to be a cash grab, we will spend the money somewhere else, as long as we still want to keep playing.
  • Polares
    Punter1 wrote:
    Well, not always... Toy Story 3, Iron Man 3, Captain America: Civil War, The Dark Knight Rises.

IM3 good? Well maybe as a Bond movie, but as an IM movie it sucked HARD, but really bad. It is the only movie made by Marvel that I think it insulted me as a comic book fan. Really Worst Movie Ever!

Then TDKR is by far he worst of the Nolan films. In fact this one would barely get a 5 out of 10 if I was reviewing it.

TS3 is really good though, maybe the best of all. And cap:Cw is good too, but Winter Soldier is still the best Marvel movie.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Earning XP by "rostering and championing" is an incentive to cycle the 2*s. I was against that for awhile because I didn't want to sacrifice certain sacred cows and the return didn't really seem worth the effort. One more carrot makes it seem like a normal activity for anyone that's already transitioned to 3* or above.

Sorry, Thor. You have to start over.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2016
    Punter1 wrote:

You had me till TDKR

Iron man 3 was bad. And toy story 3 is a not as good retelling of toy story 2.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Punter1 wrote:
    Army of Darkness. I win.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    Punter1 wrote:

IM3 good? Well maybe as a Bond movie, but as an IM movie it sucked HARD, but really bad. It is the only movie made by Marvel that I think it insulted me as a comic book fan. Really Worst Movie Ever!

Then TDKR is by far he worst of the Nolan films. In fact this one would barely get a 5 out of 10 if I was reviewing it.

TS3 is really good though, maybe the best of all. And cap:Cw is good too, but Winter Soldier is still the best Marvel movie.

Agree on everything except IM3. I like IM3. I would have to watch 1 & 3 back to back to decide which I liked better, but it's 1000 times better than IM2 was...
  • Polares
    broll wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    Punter1 wrote:

Agree on everything except IM3. I like IM3. I would have to watch 1 & 3 back to back to decide which I liked better, but it's 1000 times better than IM2 was...

IM2 is bad, I agree, but at least tries to honor the source material. When IM3 was made Robert Downey was too much in control of the character that he was able to do whatever he wanted with it. He brought his friends to direct and write the movie, just so he could just show off. This is why he is out of the armor for almost the whole movie! They even designed this control remoted armor, so he could act without being inside the armor. Then IM3 twist is just stupid, a twist just for the sake of surprising the expectator, but destroying one of the best, if not the best, IM enemies. That was INSULTING as a Marvel fan. Then the ending is again just a mess with all the armors basically just being destroyed and the bad guy being beaten by Potts. IM did absolutely nothing in this movie, just have a mental breakdown icon_razz.gif (and what about the battery being surgically removed in the epilog just because? He couldn't do it in three movies, but everything is fixed in 10 seconds, laaaaaame).

IM3 is THE WORST comic movie ever made, it really ofended me, as a long time reader of IM. And yeah it is a fun movie, and a fun spy movie, but as an IM movie is HORRIBLE.

And I think even Marvel agrees, even though they won't say it publicly. This is why all this short stories that were released afterwards trying to explain that there is another Mandarin, etc, etc. Marvel really dropped the ball with this one. They need a new actor for IM.

PS: And I usually don't have problems with Hollywood adapting and changing comic histories for the big screen, but not this time icon_razz.gif
  • TheDrStrange
    TheDrStrange Posts: 89 Match Maker
    broll wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    Punter1 wrote:

Return of the King is also a super good third movie.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    [/quote]

IM3 is THE WORST comic movie ever made, it really ofended me, as a long time reader of IM. And yeah it is a fun movie, and a fun spy movie, but as an IM movie is HORRIBLE.

[/quote]

Not to totally derail the topic at hand, but I had a completely different take on the IM series. Think of it this way:

IM1: Tony quits being a selfish jerkweed and becomes a regular jerkweed with a power suit
    IM2: Tony _becomes_ Iron Man. He doesn't take off the suit barely at all and becomes drunk with the power of the suit to the detriment of his personal life and friendships.
    IM3: Tony is stripped down. Proves that he is a hero even without the suit and accepts himself for who he is, character flaws and all.

I'm not saying that they don't each have flaws on their own. But if you look at them as three parts to one over-arching story, I think it tells a nice little character driven story, which is kinda what Marvel does best.
  • Polares
    pheregas wrote:

Not to totally derail the topic at hand, but I had a completely different take on the IM series. Think of it this way:

IM1: Tony quits being a selfish jerkweed and becomes a regular jerkweed with a power suit
    IM2: Tony _becomes_ Iron Man. He doesn't take off the suit barely at all and becomes drunk with the power of the suit to the detriment of his personal life and friendships.
    IM3: Tony is stripped down. Proves that he is a hero even without the suit and accepts himself for who he is, character flaws and all.

I'm not saying that they don't each have flaws on their own. But if you look at them as three parts to one over-arching story, I think it tells a nice little character driven story, which is kinda what Marvel does best.

Yeah, except they could have done that without ruining The Mandarin, and with a much better ending. They also ruined completely the Extremis storyline.

I dont have problems with wanting to be original, but then don't use really great comic book stories as source and then ruin them just because you want to be original.

Ps: Sorry for derailing the topic :S
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    pheregas wrote:
    Polares wrote:

I agree with this. Let me preface by saying that I haven't read many comics. My love for the comic universes come from other adaptations, mainly TV shows and movies (well that and wikipedia and discussion like this with people that did read them). So I don't have the sense betrayal that someone deep in with source material does. But I think IM3 showed huge growth in Tony and him proving that HE is Iron Man and not the suits he makes. I saw this as no different than the story lines where X character loses their powers and have to prove the powers aren't what makes them a hero and I thought it was done well from that respect. He still did some pretty bad **** stuff without spending much time in the suit.

I understand the rage over the Mandarin, I would probably feel the same way if I had the attachment to the comics you do, but look at it objectively. What MCU or any other comic movie for that matter, has a villain that actually lasts for more than one movie? So even if they did him right, he'd either just have been killed off or forgotten about anyway. It's not like it permanently damaged the character, they simply tried a different angle the same way the comic multiverse does all the freakin time.

/soapbox
    Back to your regularly scheduled thread.
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    so are we still talkin bout movies in an MPQ thread, or