MPQ At Marvel.com: Spider-Woman & S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank

David [Hi-Fi] Moore
David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
edited August 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
MPQ fans!

It's time to get your first-look at Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew) over at Marvel.com. D3 Go! Producer Josh Austin provides debut details - including skill info and screenshots. The new S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank feature is also discussed so, head on over right away.

You can READ IT HERE.

PIECING TOGETHER MARVEL PUZZLE QUEST: SPIDER-WOMAN
Quote:
"Marvel.com: Jessica's been an agent of Hydra and S.H.I.E.L.D. while also patrolling for baddies in a spider outfit. Did any of her history inform the design choices of Ms. Drew or did the team focus more on the modern Spider-Woman?

Josh Austin: The team has been on quite a roll with the selection of some very interesting characters that allows us to have some fun with the design because of their unique abilities. I can’t wait to tell you guys about her pheromone secretion, which either infatuates or terrifies her opponents. Players will have a lot of cool options depending on what enemies they’re facing."

Comments

• stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    tl;dr: xp system on Monday, Tiered events with better rewards that you can opt into 2 weeks later.

Looking forward to this for sure.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards

I'm really trying to stay positive here, surely they're not implementing another system that can be abused by whales?

*Admin removed quote by another poster containing misinformation and trolling.
  • ProfessorGumby
    ProfessorGumby Posts: 132 Tile Toppler

I'm really trying to stay positive here, surely they're not implementing another system that can be abused by whales?

Please stop calling me Shirley.

Cheers!
    - PG
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is a quote from the article,
    Players will gain XP from everyday actions like buying packs, and improving their roster by recruiting, leveling and championing characters.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can we get an idea of what a "maximum player" is?
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2016
    We'll probably find out soon enough, but it might not be immediately apparent at release. Is Rank 65 the maximum rank for the forseeable future, or just the current maximum rank?

It seems like the maximum XP possible would increase with future character releases, so will that result in periodic increases to the XP cap?

EDIT: Or looking at the screenshot in the other thread, it seems like Rank 65 just might be the highest rank that you can be grandfathered into? If so, that makes me want to hold off on championing characters until it goes live, just in case I'm already a "maximum character," as there's a possibility that some XP-gaining events could be wasted if you're over whatever the grandfathered cap is.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    This first version will give players Iso-8 rewards and access to different features. Players will gain XP from everyday actions like buying packs, and improving their roster by recruiting, leveling and championing characters. All existing players will be grandfathered in starting at the very least at level 5 which grants access to all the in-game features (Versus mode, Alliances, etc). Maximum players will be grandfathered into level 65 and gain all the rewards they would have gained the day they log into R108!

Wonder how this affects the tutorial/prologue, since it sounds like new players won't be able to access modes currently gated off by the tutorial/prologue until they reach rank 5. Or maybe things will happen exactly the same way, but by the time they hit that point, they'll have earned their way to rank 5 anyway?
    We will have more info on S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Levels in the following update that will allow players to choose the rewards they want to compete for…wait I said too much! In all seriousness, we’ll definitely have more info to share once we get closer to that release at R109, so stay tuned!

And this I anxiously await more information on.
  • DFiPL
    We'll probably find out soon enough, but it might not be immediately apparent at release. Is Rank 65 the maximum rank for the forseeable future, or just the current maximum rank?

It seems like the maximum XP possible would increase with future character releases, so will that result in periodic increases to the XP cap?

Screenshot in the other thread shows a rank 66, doesn't it?
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    DFiPL wrote:

Yup, just saw that and edited accordingly. I don't feel like I'm a Rank 65 kind of person, but I'm still gonna sit tight between now and patch day to be safe, as I'd hate to waste possible XP-gaining events that I can delay until then.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards

Please stop calling me Shirley.

Cheers!
    - PG

Please stop signing your posts, Shirley.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    "I can’t wait to tell you guys about her pheromone secretion"

I think that says everything we need to know.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sounds interesting... I'm going to have to create a new noob to try it out...
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards

EDIT: Or looking at the screenshot in the other thread, it seems like Rank 65 just might be the highest rank that you can be grandfathered into? If so, that makes me want to hold off on championing characters until it goes live, just in case I'm already a "maximum character," as there's a possibility that some XP-gaining events could be wasted if you're over whatever the grandfathered cap is.

The more I think about this, the more I think level 65 is probably ridiculously high. Like...it'd be weird that they set a grandfather rank that a whole load of players attained, no?

This strikes me as certain well known megawhales are at 65, and everyone else trickles in behind.

I'm hoarding anyway though, because I was already. Just more incentive.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL wrote:

Yup, just saw that and edited accordingly. I don't feel like I'm a Rank 65 kind of person, but I'm still gonna sit tight between now and patch day to be safe, as I'd hate to waste possible XP-gaining events that I can delay until then.

I'm morally certain I'm not, but I ALSO don't have the self-control to look at 40 CP and wait to spend them.

So I now have shiny new covers for Teen Jean and Hulkbuster.

If that means my grandfathered level is somewhat lower than what I would have been by waiting a few days and THEN spending the CP, so be it.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    So basically everyone gets a bunch of Iso in a few days? I'm up for that.

I don't love the whole "you get xp for buying packs" bit, though. That seem abusable and exactly like the sort of cynicism that will probably ruin this feature in the long term. But hey, at least the Iso boost at the beginning seems hard to screw up.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    So basically everyone gets a bunch of Iso in a few days? I'm up for that.

I don't love the whole "you get xp for buying packs" bit, though. That seem abusable and exactly like the sort of cynicism that will probably ruin this feature in the long term. But hey, at least the Iso boost at the beginning seems hard to screw up.

lol that is what we thought when update note said "sent TU's will be 5 covers".
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    As a day 600+ player who became disenfranchised this could be the feature that makes me log in for the first time in over 3 months.

I will assume that paying players will get more xp and quicker than free players, and I'm okay with that as long as it can't be abused by creating alliances of buyers clubs like cp is.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    The most interesting data in all of MPQ right now is the table of what earns XP and at what rates. Hmmmmmm.

Buying packs earns XP ... past purchases going to be grandfathered in? Rostering, leveling, champing characters earns XP ... what about characters sold in the past? Or will the grandfathering be based on what's currently rostered as of [time/date] ? And what is that time and date?
    I doubt the system will remember what you sold. But leveling and championing grant experience. I'm guessing the 2 star heroes won't give a whole lot (working on second copies of several of those for champion rewards).
  • Wjohnson992
    Wjohnson992 Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    They have jacked progression up 22k for this event, as usual they dont give a kitty about new players and are making it vet only. Heaven forbid they touch brackets, this feature will be useless for non-vets or non-whales.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yikes you guys are getting super transparent, or missing the mark entirely unintentionally.
    This first version will give players Iso-8 rewards and access to different features. Players will gain XP from everyday actions like buying packs, and improving their roster by recruiting, leveling and championing characters.

Something very important is missing here.

How about playing the game?
    Clearing nodes?
    Participating in PVP and PVE events with different exp values rewarded for placements?

Buying things should already have obvious and direct rewards.
    Stop creating every system in the game to simply incentive-ize those who spend to spend tons and do something to make those of us who aren't whales to actually feel like we can spend 10 bucks here and there while doing things besides throwing money at the game to progress.

Championing and command points were already the last big features HEAVILY stacked in vets and whales favor.

Spread the good will and the rest of us will likely open our wallets too.
    All retroactive means is hey whales who already have most of the 5 stars and 4 stars champed and covered, get ready for even more rewards.

i'll be patient but literally listing buying packs as a normal activity leaves a very negative sentiment.
    purchases in this sort of game are supposed to be supplements to playing, not actually playing.

I hope this is better than it sounds right now.