Lord of Thunder PvP Event - 3/17/14

Comments

• Daken plus OBW is killer. Especially when you're going OBW and Wolvie. Tried to take out the, then #2 guy now #1, but failed. Sitting in fourth, would LOVE some more Psylock covers.
  • zaymac wrote:
    I don't think they've given Hulk covers out once yet in PVP. icon_evil.gif

I am under the same impression. Still I've managed to 5/0/0 my Hulk - it's always green =/

I'm very disappointed about what they've done to the 2* cover rewards. I thought it was better when they were giving 3 covers at 45-75 position. It made the 1* to 2* transition more manageable. I pity the new players that will only get 1 cover whether they place 50 or 200.

I'll be trying hard for 2-5 place. Psylocke is my first and highest ranked 3*. So glad this even ends at a reasonable time for us Europeans.
  • SUPERTOM wrote:
    Dayraven wrote:
    I'd love to hear an explanation as to why having a max OBW, lvl 18 Lazy Thor, and lvl 100 Patch = a lvl 183 Thor (boosted but still), max OBW, and lvl 80 BP.
    It's quite possible that the player you're facing is on average about as successful in battles as you -- after all, when you discount the required character, you've got an 85 and a 100 against an 85 and an 80 -- but they've recently either won or paid for a lot of Modern Thor covers where you haven't.

That may be true but having a Thor with 11000hp and a BP that can do 1300 damage to the entire team it seems unlikely. It's just a balancing issue they need to fix. Max level players should face other max level players. Mid tier players should face other mid tier players, and so on... Seems like common sense.

That's exactly how it works. Until you outperform your peers and your MMR rating goes up. If you don't want your rating so high, fight those battles against harder teams and lose. If you win all the time your MMR rating will go up. What, you think you should get to beat up on weak teams for your entire time playing the game?
  • The MMR doesn't care about any recent adjustment to the roster, so if someone who has been toe to toe with you suddenly spent a lot of money on a lazy Thor and get him to level 141, you'll be in for a rough time until the next tournament when that guy should've performed well enough to no longer be on your matchup list. After all the point of these tournaments is to give an incentive for people to get whoever is featured and if it immediately matched you up against someone with an equally weak (or strong) featured hero that kind of defeats any incentive to spend on those guys.

I always thought it's pretty funny people complain about opponents are too hard but don't actually lose to them. What, is the game supposed to look at your record, sees virtually no losses, and just decide that you actually suck and spontaneously lower the difficulty of your opponents? If the opponents are too hard, the game can't possibly know about them until you lose. I'm guessing defensive losses counts as a loss too, but I'd think offensive losses have a bigger weight, since everyone loses a bunch defensively all the time.
  • jozier wrote:
    SUPERTOM wrote:
    Dayraven wrote:
    I'd love to hear an explanation as to why having a max OBW, lvl 18 Lazy Thor, and lvl 100 Patch = a lvl 183 Thor (boosted but still), max OBW, and lvl 80 BP.
    It's quite possible that the player you're facing is on average about as successful in battles as you -- after all, when you discount the required character, you've got an 85 and a 100 against an 85 and an 80 -- but they've recently either won or paid for a lot of Modern Thor covers where you haven't.

That may be true but having a Thor with 11000hp and a BP that can do 1300 damage to the entire team it seems unlikely. It's just a balancing issue they need to fix. Max level players should face other max level players. Mid tier players should face other mid tier players, and so on... Seems like common sense.

That's exactly how it works. Until you outperform your peers and your MMR rating goes up. If you don't want your rating so high, fight those battles against harder teams and lose. If you win all the time your MMR rating will go up. What, you think you should get to beat up on weak teams for your entire time playing the game?
    I wouldn't call playing other players at or around my level "weak teams".
  • Phantron wrote:
    The MMR doesn't care about any recent adjustment to the roster, so if someone who has been toe to toe with you suddenly spent a lot of money on a lazy Thor and get him to level 141, you'll be in for a rough time until the next tournament when that guy should've performed well enough to no longer be on your matchup list. After all the point of these tournaments is to give an incentive for people to get whoever is featured and if it immediately matched you up against someone with an equally weak (or strong) featured hero that kind of defeats any incentive to spend on those guys.

I always thought it's pretty funny people complain about opponents are too hard but don't actually lose to them. What, is the game supposed to look at your record, sees virtually no losses, and just decide that you actually suck and spontaneously lower the difficulty of your opponents? If the opponents are too hard, the game can't possibly know about them until you lose. I'm guessing defensive losses counts as a loss too, but I'd think offensive losses have a bigger weight, since everyone loses a bunch defensively all the time.
    Oh no, I lost. I lost hard.
  • Justdangit wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    Twysta wrote:
    Microtom wrote:
    Strange, no event tokens.

Looks like the event token which while states is a "heroic" token is a "heroic event" token, so there it's characters from teh powered up heroic juggernaut event.
    Those are "unstoppable" tokens

But the picture is of an event token and not a heroic one. They are trying to mind fcuk us. Only one way to find out. Get to 300.

I just got a Heroic Token, I'm not opening it yet. Is it a bug or is it supposed to be an event token? If it's supposed to be an event token I'm sending a report in.
  • The Progression Awards list says it is supposed to be Heroic.
  • SUPERTOM wrote:

I'm pretty sure your status is not updated until the next tournament though. If it did, there would be no incentive to level whoever is featured if all that means is you immediately get matched up with someone else who also has a level 141 Thor or anyone else. For example I can see that in the Daredevil tournament, the crazy guys that leveled him up to level 100 does retain an advantage throughout the entire tournament.
  • Phantron wrote:
    SUPERTOM wrote:

I'm pretty sure your status is not updated until the next tournament though. If it did, there would be no incentive to level whoever is featured if all that means is you immediately get matched up with someone else who also has a level 141 Thor or anyone else. For example I can see that in the Daredevil tournament, the crazy guys that leveled him up to level 100 does retain an advantage throughout the entire tournament.
    Makes sense. But man it's tough. When I had a decent roster of lvl 85's I was consistently placing in the top 20 and for the most part, seeing opponents around that level. Nothing really changed much between tournaments. I was facing a pretty consistent roster of opponents for a month or so. Then right after I bumped up Patch and Punisher to 100 it jumped from lvl 85 Thors/OBW combos to lvl 141 Hulk Spidey Combos. Seems like my MMR jumped a step. Hence the rant.
  • SUPERTOM wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    SUPERTOM wrote:

Makes sense. But man it's tough. When I had a decent roster of lvl 85's I was consistently placing in the top 20 and for the most part, seeing opponents around that level. Nothing really changed much between tournaments. I was facing a pretty consistent roster of opponents for a month or so. Then right after I bumped up Patch and Punisher to 100 it jumped from lvl 85 Thors/OBW combos to lvl 141 Hulk Spidey Combos. Seems like my MMR jumped a step. Hence the rant.

I found that in tournament that features either a very restricted roster or a brand new hero, the opponents tend to have a much wider variety, probably because the algorithm can't be very sure how strong a typical 141X3 team is when one of those guys is replaced by a level 15 guy.
  • Unknown
    edited March 2014
    The top 2 people in my bracket just got Sandboxed! whoo in third and steadily climbing. I must now defeat AzmHero and sailorjr for top spot!

Edit: more detail

Edit: now in first at 966 points, shielded for 24 hours... 2nd is below 600... hope no one beats me.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Top guy in mine just got sandboxed, so now the only person standing between me and my 2nd xforce yellow is il palazzo...
  • How can you tell someone is sandboxed? You assume that because he vanishes from the top 10, or is there another indication?
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Narkon wrote:
    How can you tell someone is sandboxed? You assume that because he vanishes from the top 10, or is there another indication?

Basically. My top 10 has multiple people at 500ish, and I doubt that a roster like that guys (141 lazythor, etc) would get attacked enough to drop below 500 points.
  • Narkon wrote:
    How can you tell someone is sandboxed? You assume that because he vanishes from the top 10, or is there another indication?

3 guys in the 700 - 850 range in my bracket were shielded and disappeared. So they didn't just take a massive beating.
  • Did no one really like this event? Just climbed to top 6 in my tourney and expect to hit at least top 50 for at least one psylocke cover. Did they always give a character cover at 700 pts? I'm happy I got another m. Magneto blue cover.
  • Sitting at 1k shielded waiting for my rewards. Hehe. Hopefully I don't have to break shield.
  • Top guy in mine just got sandboxed, so now the only person standing between me and my 2nd xforce yellow is il palazzo...

I'm in your bracket, I'm coming for both of you! icon_e_smile.gif Nah, I'm happy if I'm in the top 5.
  • Pasta25 wrote:
    Did no one really like this event? Just climbed to top 6 in my tourney and expect to hit at least top 50 for at least one psylocke cover. Did they always give a character cover at 700 pts? I'm happy I got another m. Magneto blue cover.
    It looks to me that people are focusing on the Lightning Rounds, so it's good to grind while the LR is on. The 30mins break is the moment when I'm hit the most.