Lord of Thunder PvP Event - 3/17/14

Options

Comments

• Hmm... so much for the intentions of keeping gold characters interchangeable with their basic versions? Because 2* Thor is locked out.

Not that my lvl 6 Thor would have served me better that his fat lvl 20 version (soon 51 hopefully), just a bit disappointed icon_neutral.gif
  • 3/3/5 Psylocke, glad I only need top 50 for her red.

...gonna push for first though, my X-force is approaching completion and I'm expecting that rework any day now. Maybe. Eventually. 2015.
  • I may be sitting this (and most of this week) largely out - headed to Megacon in a few days and that's going to severely limit my MPQ time.
  • Hm, I can definitely use P covers. May favorite black on top? DOH.

Also we'll likely have the 2nd sound of jugs where she's usable though not sure if I want to put more ISO there.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've heard quite a few people on this board talk about the best time to join events so they get a good bracket. When is that?

I understand that you don't want to jump in as soon as the event opens because you'll be competing against all the eager beavers. Don't want to join too late either because then you'll be competing against everyone else who's trying to do the same thing you are.

What's the rule of thumb? Should I wait 24 hours after the event starts? In this particular case, Heroic Juggs pt. 1 will end at that time so there might be a flood of new entrants.

I have a pretty decent 2* team but I need to heal after every fight or two so I can't wait until the last possible moment to start the event because I won't be able to play enough to get a high ranking (I typically shoot for top 25).
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Having been absent from these forums for a while I couldn't figure out why everyone was calling 3* Thor 'Lazy' Thor. I didn't want to look dumb and just ask, but I finally just got it. Hahaha. (Yeah, I'm a little slow.)
  • vudu3 wrote:
    I've heard quite a few people on this board talk about the best time to join events so they get a good bracket. When is that?

I understand that you don't want to jump in as soon as the event opens because you'll be competing against all the eager beavers. Don't want to join too late either because then you'll be competing against everyone else who's trying to do the same thing you are.

What's the rule of thumb? Should I wait 24 hours after the event starts? In this particular case, Heroic Juggs pt. 1 will end at that time so there might be a flood of new entrants.

I have a pretty decent 2* team but I need to heal after every fight or two so I can't wait until the last possible moment to start the event because I won't be able to play enough to get a high ranking (I typically shoot for top 25).

Personally I always try to start later at night here (pacific time) so that usually ends up being either 12 or 24 hours before the tourney ends. I can usually climb to anywhere between 500 and 700 easily then I base shield usage on the placement I want and what it looks like my mmr range currently is. Then before the tourney ends I'll make another push if need be (always like that 1000iso progression reward).
  • vudu3 wrote:

I don't think there is a real "ideal" time to join. A lot of your success depends on your willingness to shield and/or your team make-up.

Joining later means you will need less points to land in the top tiers, but also means you will be more susceptible to wild swings of points due to retaliations. Especially as those people you hit "on the way up" start hitting you back and they are doing -20 hits on your score.

In your case, I would probably start working on building an 'A' team and a 'B' team of useable heroes so you can grind up more points in each sitting. It's real hard to stay in the top 25 when you constantly run out of health packs. No matter when you join.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Yeah, there really isn't a "best" time. If everybody joined at that time, then it wouldn't be the "best" anymore.

I try to avoid the very beginning and the very end. A lot of it depends on luck with your bracket. I also think it reallllly only matters for the people shooting for top 10s, where one or two extra heavy hitters might actually make a difference.
  • I join at the very beginning if I can find the seed teams up for some free iso8s. Otherwise I join whenever I actually plan on playing.
  • Phantron wrote:
    I join at the very beginning if I can find the seed teams up for some free iso8s. Otherwise I join whenever I actually plan on playing.

I always try to at least look at the tourney so I can have some seed teams in the queue when I actually start. But unless I set an alarm I usually forget to check if a tourney started.
  • vudu3 wrote:

From my experience, top5 is the same regardless when you join. Everything after that, the later the better.
  • Phantron wrote:
    I join at the very beginning if I can find the seed teams up for some free iso8s. Otherwise I join whenever I actually plan on playing.

I always try to at least look at the tourney so I can have some seed teams in the queue when I actually start. But unless I set an alarm I usually forget to check if a tourney started.

If you leave the application running the whole time (easier on PC) you'll always pick up at least the 3 starting seed teams.
  • Phantron wrote:
    If you leave the application running the whole time (easier on PC) you'll always pick up at least the 3 starting seed teams.

You learn something new everyday, thanks icon_mrgreen.gif
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Considering these things tend to end at 12am EST, I tend to join a bracket around 2-4am sometime during the middle. Greater chance to get international players in my bracket who won't be up during those last 6 hour's where I start to push. So far it's been working out as I only try for top 5, not #1. At least we haven't had a situation since that one tourney where they gave out IW and second place was Spidey. Never seen so much forced tanking for second place.
  • daveomite
    daveomite Posts: 1,331 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Glad some psy cards are in this one, but would have thought, considering it's a modern/lazy Thor event, that his cards would have been in the ranking prizes too.
  • daveomite wrote:
    Glad some psy cards are in this one, but would have thought, considering it's a modern/lazy Thor event, that his cards would have been in the ranking prizes too.

Has it ever been that way? He is in the progression rewards as usual (as the featured character).
  • daveomite
    daveomite Posts: 1,331 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Has it ever been that way? He is in the progression rewards as usual (as the featured character).

Not sure, first one I've really played a lot of since starting a few weeks ago. Just noticed it.
  • I joined this one pretty early and everyone in the top 10 has a mid level 2* roster, so I imagine they have glorious MMR. I have moved to #1 rather easy and I don't even have a lazythor. Unfortunately I don't really care for Psylocke. I don't think they've given Hulk covers out once yet in PVP. icon_evil.gif
  • Holy cow, #1 in my bracket: ericeast from the num6er Alliance. First two characters:
    IW 055 lvl 189 and... Lazy Thor 544 lvl141. I guess I can say bye bye to that yellow X-Force cover.