Changes to Mission Difficulty

Comments

• The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Huatimus wrote:
    Very welcome changes, especially the 1 less grind required.
    So basically changes that only make it easier for high level rosters and everyone else just continues with the current **** system. Only more difficult because the point value for the 2* node is less. So when youve caused all the new players and mid tier people to quit caring about your game with all these changes and difficulties how long do you expect the game to last? I mean youre basically only catering to whales at this point and eventually they will get bored no matter what, then who will be left to play the game?. Ive already seen more people quitting than ever before, and even hardcore players have quit caring about pve. The recent new char pve was the least competitive new char event ive ever seen apparently due to the lack of interest from players who all hate the new pve system.

You're doing something wrong then. I always found PVE easier to clear as a soft cap low level roster with minimal scaling. Did you perhaps accidentally recruit a 5* in your roster before your roster was ready to handle it and thus screw up your own scaling?

I'm a 3* player with no playable 4*s and four 5*s.

I've been playing the game fine. Even got four clears on the infamous Invisible Woman X-Men node. Only thing holding me back is a lack of time to play.

Maybe the scaling just has a sweet spot before you head on up to 4* land (which would then still need some tweaking) but having some difficult nodes that actually challenge you DOESN'T make the game impossible.

That being said, we haven't seen Venom Bomb or the Gauntlet yet under this system :p
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    The Herald wrote:
    Huatimus wrote:
    Very welcome changes, especially the 1 less grind required.
    So basically changes that only make it easier for high level rosters and everyone else just continues with the current **** system. Only more difficult because the point value for the 2* node is less. So when youve caused all the new players and mid tier people to quit caring about your game with all these changes and difficulties how long do you expect the game to last? I mean youre basically only catering to whales at this point and eventually they will get bored no matter what, then who will be left to play the game?. Ive already seen more people quitting than ever before, and even hardcore players have quit caring about pve. The recent new char pve was the least competitive new char event ive ever seen apparently due to the lack of interest from players who all hate the new pve system.

You're doing something wrong then. I always found PVE easier to clear as a soft cap low level roster with minimal scaling. Did you perhaps accidentally recruit a 5* in your roster before your roster was ready to handle it and thus screw up your own scaling?

I'm a 3* player with no playable 4*s and four 5*s.

I've been playing the game fine. Even got four clears on the infamous Invisible Woman X-Men node. Only thing holding me back is a lack of time to play.

Maybe the scaling just has a sweet spot before you head on up to 4* land (which would then still need some tweaking) but having some difficult nodes that actually challenge you DOESN'T make the game impossible.

That being said, we haven't seen Venom Bomb or the Gauntlet yet under this system :p

I think part of the "issue" with scaling once you get to 4 star land is that because they're so expensive to level, most people only have a few of them at the highest level (since the PvP meta basically dictates that you level up the top 4 stars as fast a possible), and since scaling is based on your top characters, their nodes are scaled to those over-leveled 4 stars. Most vets/competitive players still on the 3 star level have a bunch of 3 stars champed, and even if they roster 5 stars a boosted 3 star is at about the same level as an unleveled 5 star, so they get to use more of their roster for the nodes.

Well, that and the fact that HP and damage don't seem to scale at the same rate, so once you get that high up that high matches take longer and require more powers to be fired off.
  • h4n1s
    h4n1s Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    LakeStone wrote:
    - The amount of points that the 2-Star Required Mission is worth has been reduced while the amount of points the 4-Star Required Mission has been increased. The amount of points a 3-Star Required Mission is worth has stayed the same."[/i]

I was so happy to read the changes until I read this one...

So if you're a 2*-3* player, who doesn't have 4* roster much developed, you basically have slightly more complicated way how to progress. Because the points are necessary for progression and for placement awards. Meaning the people with less 4*s in their roster will have bigger problem to get some. I would expect that it is aiming for some revenue increase, but I don't see how, since you buy LT with CP, not by HP.... And to get CP you need higher placement/progression, but you cannot reach it if you don't have 4* roster developed... kind of a loop here.

Anyway, forgetting this one line, good job on the tweaks.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,728 Chairperson of the Boards
    Allow me to speculate: the Devs know there is a problem getting 4* (and 5) covers, especially with increased characters every couple weeks. They may turn on a "faucet" similar to DDQ and 3* at some point but that would "devalue" the covers. So I think one way to help is keep progression goal for CP lower than previously and allow earning of CP at a slightly higher rate for more people.
    So. If the 4* nodes are worth more points but progression goal is still around the current level (after the new system, it seems to have dropped), then people who are missing the 4* should still hit progression, BUT the will have more difficultly with high placement. Which I think most players would agree is a fair system if it works that way. This is also a way to allow the stated goal of an advantage to advanced rosters with many characters.
  • DTStump
    DTStump Posts: 273 Mover and Shaker
    I like all the changes in theory. Let's see how effective they are in practice.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    h4n1s wrote:
    I was so happy to read the changes until I read this one...

So if you're a 2*-3* player, who doesn't have 4* roster much developed, you basically have slightly more complicated way how to progress. Because the points are necessary for progression and for placement awards. Meaning the people with less 4*s in their roster will have bigger problem to get some.
    Relax, it's not going to be a "problem". Grinders are currently hitting the prog less than halfway into these events. There are way, way more points available than what anyone needs. Them tweaking the point values on one or two nodes isn't going to change that.
  • I wonder what this will do (if anything) to the issue rostering a 5-star cover in an otherwise 2- and 3-star roster.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    WEBGAS wrote:
    These changes go in the right direction, thank you
    ....once you will make PVE with Progression rewards only, it will be PERFECT!

icon_e_biggrin.gifiso8.pngicon_e_biggrin.gifcommandpoints.pngicon_e_biggrin.gifiso8.pngicon_e_biggrin.gifcommandpoints.png

That exists in game already. It's just not run frequently enough. (Gauntlet) Though I don't personally play it but a few nodes.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    All of these changes look great, and the communication is appreciated.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    It's good that you're making quality of life changes. People still playing PvE will likely appreciate that. This is unquestionably an improvement to the prior iteration.

But, it's still unequivocally worse than the Old PvE system for people with big rosters. The scaling is still worse than the Old PvE system, and after years of PvE scaling, there's no prize scaling to compensate. For everyone playing competitively, the Supergrind is still there, just one clear shorter. Vet/new brackets still punish long-time and regular players on top of the laughably tight-fisted ranking reward structure which persisted through all of these revisions.

And those are the metrics that matter for me and my time/money, not the marginal improvement between iterations. Since it's still an overall step backwards from the Old PvE system, and the major problems are still unaddressed, I still won't be touching the newest New PvE system.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for continuing to improve the experience.
  • hesjingixen
    hesjingixen Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    I definitely like these changes. The only other thing I'd like to see now is the difficulty increase 1 less time. It always annoys me that the nodes are hardest right as they begin to be worth less.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    These changes sound sooooo great!!!!!

I think. :+D
  • ViralCore
    ViralCore Posts: 168 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2016
    Thanks for the update! These changes sound great. Please consider removing 1-2 more clears. That'll be a much welcomed change for those of us with families.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    Simply excellent! Maybe this doesn't feel so much as work from now on
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    ViralCore wrote:
    Thanks for the update! These changes sound great. Please consider removing 1-2 more clears. That'll be a much welcomed change for those of with families.

From the beginning grind. 3 for the end grind is good.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    it should been flipped

2 stars get more pts
    3 stars stay same
    4 stars gets less pts

that way people who dont have the 4 stars can still hit cp easy
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    ViralCore wrote:
    Thanks for the update! These changes sound great. Please consider removing 1-2 more clears. That'll be a much welcomed change for those of us with families.

I dont understand what your saying here... so you want 1 clear to get you the cp?

ALSO CONFUSED

educed the amount of times a mission can be played after it reaches it's maximum difficulty. Missions can be played three times (down from four) before being worth 1 point.

So say node is worth 500

1 play 500
    2nd play 500
    3rd play 500
    4th play 1 pt? or scaling (i think they mean scaling) 250 125 70 35 1
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:
    it should been flipped

2 stars get more pts
    3 stars stay same
    4 stars gets less pts

that way people who dont have the 4 stars can still hit cp easy

If progression remains attainable I actually think 4* getting more points is the way to go. It's a panacea to the folks who chase placement - their stronger rosters put them in a better position to score more points, which reduces (though doesn't eliminate) the chances of a soft-capped roster beating them out for T10.
  • GritsNGravy
    GritsNGravy Posts: 114 Tile Toppler
    Good changes, thanks!

Personally I'd still think things cut up a little more so optimal play isn't hammering everything 4 times right at the start and then waiting and grind near the end. It makes for a REALLY long play session when a sub flips...