***** Black Bolt (Inhuman King) *****

Options

Comments

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I lucked into a 0/3/1 Black Bolt and screwed around with him a bit in the Lightning Rounds. He intrigues me, particularly his black passive. I will probably end up running him with GT and MoStorm at some point, see if I can't reap those charged tiles.

I didn't see anyone else mention this, so I thought I would. I'm trying to remember the exact phrasing, but the game states the "Motivation Tile" that is created by his yellow can't be matched, locked, or destroyed, nor can it be changed into something else (like by Redwing or JG's purple.) I don't know if they left anything out, but it looks like it's pretty indelible unless the whole board is destroyed.
  • KingDreadnaught
    KingDreadnaught Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Options
    Check out Full power Bolt.
    repeating over and over again, He's one hell of the best 5* so far.

https://youtu.be/r_IS-GYcJSM

Enjoy.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    GrimSkald wrote:
    I lucked into a 0/3/1 Black Bolt and screwed around with him a bit in the Lightning Rounds. He intrigues me, particularly his black passive. I will probably end up running him with GT and MoStorm at some point, see if I can't reap those charged tiles.

I didn't see anyone else mention this, so I thought I would. I'm trying to remember the exact phrasing, but the game states the "Motivation Tile" that is created by his yellow can't be matched, locked, or destroyed, nor can it be changed into something else (like by Redwing or JG's purple.) I don't know if they left anything out, but it looks like it's pretty indelible unless the whole board is destroyed.

I think the motivation tile will work just like a singularity from SS (I think the wording is the same).

That means it can't be matched and won't fall when tiles below it are destroyed. But SS's black holes CAN be destroyed by boardshake powers and match4s. That sucks IMO, as it makes an already weak 5* even weaker. But that's the way it currently works.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    I think that's correct hodoyathink. The ai treats charged tiles just like any other tile.

If you're prioritizing the CTs, and can match them, the APs are yours, as the power fires right before your turn. The problem arises when you can't match them right away. If they build up, you get the per-turn damage to start firing, but you also leave a board littered with CTs for the AI to "luck" into cascading into their bank.

right, and that's where I can't really tell just how valuable the power will be without some playtesting experience. If, overall, the player reaps a significant advantage for the reasons you state, then this power will be awesome. But if the power creates so many charged tiles that the ai always ends up getting a fair bit of AP acceleration, then this passive is just meh. My only basis for comparison is 4* thor, who is the only character that can really flood the board with charged tiles (more than BB will ever make, but also at a fairly high cost, so the analogy isn't perfect). But when she does it, the ai is generally stunlocked, so I don't think the comparison is especially useful.
  • monsieurmojo
    monsieurmojo Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    right, and that's where I can't really tell just how valuable the power will be without some playtesting experience. If, overall, the player reaps a significant advantage for the reasons you state, then this power will be awesome. But if the power creates so many charged tiles that the ai always ends up getting a fair bit of AP acceleration, then this passive is just meh. My only basis for comparison is 4* thor, who is the only character that can really flood the board with charged tiles (more than BB will ever make, but also at a fairly high cost, so the analogy isn't perfect). But when she does it, the ai is generally stunlocked, so I don't think the comparison is especially useful.

What's funny is, almost every other match where I'm using him, I look at my AP and think "Oh...I guess I can fire off Quasi-Sonic Scream." The 5-across-the-board does build up deceptively fast with Energy Channeling.
  • GrimSkald
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    GrimSkald wrote:

I think the motivation tile will work just like a singularity from SS (I think the wording is the same).

That means it can't be matched and won't fall when tiles below it are destroyed. But SS's black holes CAN be destroyed by boardshake powers and match4s. That sucks IMO, as it makes an already weak 5* even weaker. But that's the way it currently works.

You are correct, here's the exact phrasing:

"While this tile is on the board: Black Bolt motivates XX to work harder, increasing the level of all powers by 1. This tile cannot be matched or locked and does not fall. It cannot be converted into any other type of tile."

So it is vulnerable to board destruction and match-4 targeting, but that's it. Bear in mind that the description doesn't indicate any of this, so it's all bonus (as far as we knew by the description it was a normal tile.)

As far as a weak 5* even weaker - KD described Black Bolt as the best so far, though of course that is on the merit of his other two powers...
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    GrimSkald wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    GrimSkald wrote:

You are correct, here's the exact phrasing:

"While this tile is on the board: Black Bolt motivates XX to work harder, increasing the level of all powers by 1. This tile cannot be matched or locked and does not fall. It cannot be converted into any other type of tile."

So it is vulnerable to board destruction and match-4 targeting, but that's it. Bear in mind that the description doesn't indicate any of this, so it's all bonus (as far as we knew by the description it was a normal tile.)

As far as a weak 5* even weaker - KD described Black Bolt as the best so far, though of course that is on the merit of his other two powers...

I meant SS is weaker.

BB seems somewhere from average to strong depending on that passive. Motiviation is meh, and the green is both over and underwhelming, for literally all my iso, I want a win button, not a 1/2 damage on a 5* button. Other wise it's a decent offensive power. So BB really needs to be a strong accelerator to be good.
  • jostos
    Options
    i like him
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:

I meant SS is weaker.

BB seems somewhere from average to strong depending on that passive. Motiviation is meh, and the green is both over and underwhelming, for literally all my AP, I want a win button, not a 1/2 damage on a 5* button. Other wise it's a decent offensive power. So BB really needs to be a strong accelerator to be good.

I dont care that much about this one, but SS black hole should be INDESTRUCTIBLE, I was really annoyed the first time a match4 destroyed my bhole. A 13 AP power in 5 land should be much stronger than that...

As I said before, I think BB black is the key, is what makes him one of the good 5s. This passive is REALLY strong, 5k free damage and 2 charged tiles EVERY turn! With this power, getting the required mana for green is not that difficult at all.

And maybe green is not an I win button (I think it is an "I win button in 4 turns" though icon_razz.gif), but it will 100% kill the featured 3, if there is a 4 it will probably be almost dead or dead too and will damage seriously the 5s in the other team. Then if OML is on the other team, he will start to heal much less because at least one ally will be down, and between match damage and the extra 5k he will be down to in one turn most probably (3k heal against at least 6k damage every turn). Then you can easily kill the other 5.

BB looks REALLY good. It is a pity my 1/0/1 won't be playable anytime soon...
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Polares wrote:

I was really annoyed the first time a match4 destroyed my bhole.

You probably get your bhole destroyed all the time now though, right?
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I got Boltagon fully covered and champed a week or two ago, and I must say, I like him better than I thought I would. The passive is really nice, but I think you need to run him with a full rainbow team to take advantage of it, otherwise you may be helping the opponent out as much as you.

I ran him with 5IM and GG in all the CW Boss fights, and it was a heckuva team.
  • GrimSkald
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    As I said before, I think BB black is the key, is what makes him one of the good 5s. This passive is REALLY strong, 5k free damage and 2 charged tiles EVERY turn! With this power, getting the required mana for green is not that difficult at all.

And maybe green is not an I win button (I think it is an "I win button in 4 turns" though icon_razz.gif), but it will 100% kill the featured 3, if there is a 4 it will probably be almost dead or dead too and will damage seriously the 5s in the other team. Then if OML is on the other team, he will start to heal much less because at least one ally will be down, and between match damage and the extra 5k he will be down to in one turn most probably (3k heal against at least 6k damage every turn). Then you can easily kill the other 5.

BB looks REALLY good. It is a pity my 1/0/1 won't be playable anytime soon...

The passive is actually "or." Two charged tiles or 5k damage a turn. Regardless, it's pretty awesome - you can go out and hunt the charged tiles while the computer gives no preference. It does mean that if you have a color you don't use, it will get frustrating from time to time - it always charges the color with the most on the board.
  • monsieurmojo
    monsieurmojo Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    GrimSkald wrote:
    The passive is actually "or." Two charged tiles or 5k damage a turn. Regardless, it's pretty awesome - you can go out and hunt the charged tiles while the computer gives no preference. It does mean that if you have a color you don't use, it will get frustrating from time to time - it always charges the color with the most on the board.

And it seems like that color is black a lot; at least it's extra match damage.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    The final node in this gauntlet run was my first real experience with BB.

I can't form much of an opinion on his value as an offensive character from one match. But i have to say that in a match against equally leveled opponents, he seems like he is suicidal on defense. The player seems likely to beat the ai to the punch on a lot of those charged tiles.

So for those in the 5* tier: is he weak defensively? Do you enjoy fighting him because the ai is so dumb?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:

I can't form much of an opinion on his value as an offensive character from one match. But i have to say that in a match against equally leveled opponents, he seems like he is suicidal on defense. The player seems likely to beat the ai to the punch on a lot of those charged tiles.

So for those in the 5* tier: is he weak defensively? Do you enjoy fighting him because the ai is so dumb?
    What level BB did you face? Mine was 409, I Think, and while he was no pushover he didn't give me much trouble. I assume a Bolt around level 450 might be more difficult to deal with...
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quebbster wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

What level BB did you face? Mine was 409, I Think, and while he was no pushover he didn't give me much trouble. I assume a Bolt around level 450 might be more difficult to deal with...
    I re-played that node last night and wiped six times with OML/Phoenix/Surfer.
    BB is a terror at 466.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

I re-played that node last night and wiped six times with OML/Phoenix/Surfer.
    BB is a terror at 466.
    Right now I feel very thankful OML is my only maxed fivestar. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    Quebbster wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

Yeah. That's why I added the caveat about against equally leveled opponents. My node was scaled to 350 or so, and my top character was a boosted cyc at 370-something. My other two were kk and xfw (just cos I kept ending up with black at the of matches and wanted an outlet that wouldn't soak up healthpacks).

Do my experience might have been a lot worse if he were a much higher level than my prime damage dealer. But at least in my match, he was a bigger help for me than the so. Curious to see how subsequent attempts go if I decide to grind out iso/xp.
  • bpcontra
    Options
    The motivation tile is unmatchable and unmoveable like SS singularity title. I can confirm thay
  • d3guser
    d3guser Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Options
    A question on BB yellow.

Faced a BB(1/1/1) + OML(0/1/0) with 3* strange.
    Half way during the match , BB cast his yellow and OML got all his Powers temporarily.

Due to board shake and charged tiles, OML was able to change from Passive yellow to Active yellow in next 2 turns..

Can this happen????
    Any one else has witnessed this coincidence????

Come to think of it, this is a great way to use the combo 0/1/0 OML for 2-4 * transition players provided you can time it.