***** Black Bolt (Inhuman King) *****

Options

Comments

• xKOBALTx
    xKOBALTx Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Cthulhu wrote:
    The Silent King - 8 yellowtile.png AP
    Black Bolt’s noble stoicism and supreme wisdom motivate his subjects to work their hardest. If one does not exist, converts a random basic tile into a 3-turn Motivation tile targeting 1 other alley, increasing all their powers by 1 level (to a max of 5).
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: Motivation tile lasts 4 turns. Level 3: Motivation tile lasts 6 turns. Level 4: Motivation tile targets all allies. Level 5: Motivation tile increases all powers by 2 levels (to a max of 5).
    Max Level
      Level 3: Motivation tile lasts 6 turns targeting 1 ally, increasing their powers by 1 level (to a max of 5). Level 4: Motivation tile lasts 6 turns and targets all allies. Level 5: Motivation tile lasts 6 turns and increases all powers by 2 levels (to a maximum of 5).
    xKOBALTx wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:
    I'm too lazy to type this out twice, so I'll quote myself:
    I'm calling it: Black Bolt's yellow is the worst skill in the entire 5* tier. The stronger his companions are, the less value it gives you. And, not mentioned in the article but visible in one of the images, it causes friendly damage too (not clear if it damages the target or Black Bolt himself).

This is inaccurate based on what's been disclosed; we don't have the final yet, but his yellow does not deal damage to the team, that's his black. So if there were 5 charged tiles, he dealt damage to himself and the target. Now if his yellow has some detail level not yet disclosed in the precis, right on, and I'll stand corrected, but as written it's purely a single target buff.

It's in a screen shot found in the interview. The description of the power shows it costs him health per turn:
    http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/9/f0/57aa2468e8bd9.jpg
    So was the health cost from "overexertion" removed from the final build or is it just missing from these numbers?
  • Cthulhu
    Cthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 410 Site Admin
    Options
    xKOBALTx wrote:

So was the health cost from "overexertion" removed from the final build or is it just missing from these numbers?

The power Energy Channeling can damage Black Bolt at less then 5 covers, and The Silent King does not damage the player or the player's team. Powers can slightly change as the character gets closer to release based on balancing during gameplay testing.
  • Cthulhu
    Options
    I was incorrect with a couple stats, Black Bolt stats are now edited and correct.
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Cthulhu wrote:
    LordXberk wrote:
    At this point, we're more likely to have KDN review the character for us before Cthulhu...
    Trying, i just got back from gen con this week and had a lot of catching up to do! Sorry for taking so long!

Don't mean to sound harsh, but you guys must realize we are super eager to hear about new characters (and hopefully new game play and content!). A quick proactive post that says "hey, busy at Gencon but will update in a few days or ASAP" or whatever is much more effective than a reactive one. We love communication even if it isn't always what we want to hear. Thanks!
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    LordXberk wrote:
    I hope you're right. 28k +10k AOE would be pretty awesome. Also hope Cthulhu gets some specs up sometime today. And, while it seems unlikely, I'd love to hear what changes they're making to the Latest v. Classic LTs.

Haha, boy was I wrong. No tile destruction damage puts a damper on it, but at least it's 27k across the board.

A 5k damage passive that starts on turn 3 is like Iron Fist on steroids.

He's gonna be nasty, even if his yellow is basically filler.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Well, I played with him, and I have to say, even though he essentially only has one active skill, I really liked him. His black is, while unpredictable, really good. His green does a lot of damage. His yellow is useless. Surprisingly, it is tough choosing who his teammates should be, mainly because of his green. OML and Phoenix could make good teammates for him to double tap on his black with strike tiles and match damage, but then you destroy the whole board with green. I guess if you view green as the match ending move, it doesn't matter as much. Green Goblin and OML means OML tanks for 2 colors for both teammates. Green Goblin and Iron Man gives full color coverage for active skills, massive AOE and spike damage potential (although Iron Man's red isn't as impressive with these two as teammates). It also gives crazy board shake with blue for Iron Man and green for Black Bolt. Black Bolt's black also really puts Bruce Banner to shame. Banner's green tile creation is so conditional, as is the damage, plus it does so little damage compared to the 5k from BB. I think Black Bolt is not that great alone because of his lack of healing and only one active skill, but in a team, he can be a top 3 5 star now. I will be uploading my video on youtube soon so you can see what his skills look like.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If the "over-exertion" damage has been removed from his Yellow, then that's a really significant improvement for that ability. It's still going to be useless most of the time, but it's not a potential threat to your own team. Black looks strong, and Green looks like a finisher (I guess technically dual purpose, since using whisper on a single target may still be better than waiting for all that AP).
  • notamutant
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1NTQiMs5Rw

My youtube video showing Black Bolt in action. If you just want to see him in a match, skip to around 15 minutes.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Options
    notamutant wrote:

My youtube video showing Black Bolt in action. If you just want to see him in a match, skip to around 15 minutes.

Nice video. Thought it was funny when you were like "why was there a countdown" when it was Jean Grey's passive revive.
  • Blahahah
    Options
    Also looking at it, you could run 5/5/3 and just run your other two people at 4/4/5 and he would max them out anyhow.
  • notamutant
    Options
    Blahahah wrote:
    notamutant wrote:

Nice video. Thought it was funny when you were like "why was there a countdown" when it was Jean Grey's passive revive.

Yeah, I realized that later, but I thought it only showed up on their turn, so I was confused.
  • notamutant
    Options
    Blahahah wrote:
    Also looking at it, you could run 5/5/3 and just run your other two people at 4/4/5 and he would max them out anyhow.

But why risk having their moves not do max damage if you don't have the yellow for BB? There is no real spin for his yellow, it is officially the most useless move in 5 star land, unless you magically cover max BB and have other 5 star almost but not quite cover maxed.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 691 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Black at level 5 is 5312, not 5132.
  • Cthulhu
    Options
    Black at level 5 is 5312, not 5132.

Thank you, I fixed the typo!
  • d3guser
    d3guser Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Cthulhu wrote:
    Black Bolt (Inhuman King) icon_blackbolt.png
    5 Star Rarity (Legendary) Wiki Link
    At Max Level: HP: 48835 Tile Damage: 460/75/69/63/592/526/4.2x

Energy Channeling - 0 blacktile.png AP
    (PASSIVE) Black Bolt uses his antenna to draw out the ambient energy surrounding him. Every turn, creates 1 Charged tile in the color most present on the board. If there are at least 4 Charged tiles on the board, deals 789 damage to the target and 218 damage to Black Bolt instead.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: Creates 1 charged tile in the color most present on the board, if there are four deals 941 damage to target and 164 damage to Black Bolt. Level 3: Creates 2 Charged tiles. Level 4: If there are 4 or more charged tiles Deals 1069 damage to the target and 109 to Black Bolt. Level 5: If there are 4 or more charged tiles Deals 1322 damage to the target. No longer deals damage to Black Bolt.
    Max Level
      Level 3: Creates 2 charged tiles in the color most present on the board. If at least 4 charged tiles on the board, Deals 3782 damage to the target and 656 damage to Black Bolt instead. Level 4: If there are 4 or more charged tiles Deals 4296 damage to the target and 437 to Black Bolt. Level 5: If there are 4 or more charged tiles Deals 5312 damage to the target. No longer deals damage to Black Bolt.

The Silent King - 8 yellowtile.png AP
    Black Bolt’s noble stoicism and supreme wisdom motivate his subjects to work their hardest. If one does not exist, converts a random basic tile into a 3-turn Motivation tile targeting 1 other alley, increasing all their powers by 1 level (to a max of 5).
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: Motivation tile lasts 4 turns. Level 3: Motivation tile lasts 6 turns. Level 4: Motivation tile targets all allies. Level 5: Motivation tile increases all powers by 2 levels (to a max of 5).
    Max Level
      Level 3: Motivation tile lasts 6 turns targeting 1 ally, increasing their powers by 1 level (to a max of 5). Level 4: Motivation tile lasts 6 turns and targets all allies. Level 5: Motivation tile lasts 6 turns and increases all powers by 2 levels (to a maximum of 5).
    [/list]

His black is going to be a double edged sword as opponents can gain benefits of charged tiles.. so in 4* world Thorress will benefit a lot.
    Guess thats the reason self damage on black was removed..

His Yellow will be IM40 yellow of 5 * world, where instead of generating AP, it maxes the damage level across boards...
    Bring ur 3/3/3 builds with BB to wreck havoc !!!
  • KingDreadnaught
    KingDreadnaught Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Options
    I'm Back.. LOL

A lot of haters on BlackBolt (which I don't know why and how would they know without testing and just looking at the stats), but I love him so much at this point.
    One of few time I regret did not hoard Cps or tokens for him to complete him fast enough but I got 1/1/1 for now LOL.

First of all, I love his Passive Charged Tiles. Every turn creating charged tiles is like christmas. Even though this can backfire you hard if enemy matches them but we always have a choice to manage the board. With higher covers (553) and passive no longer damage himself, he will be extremely powerful with strikes such as OML or Phx. And for the first time, I can pair Silver Surf has his bff. I tested on a board with a lot of red and with Phx to create even more reds, Silver surf keep shooting Red every 2 turns from plenty of charged tiles (red in this case). We are talking about Charged Tiles only, so I was able to TRIPLE black OML for 3 turns and match 3 damage became 30,000... LOL.

Second, I love his Green. OMG, if you investing in your AP boosts a bit, and BlackBolt is fully maxed 450 or even higher, you are talking about almost end game within few turns after collecting few missing AP and Green to trigger it. Shattering middle roll only also very effective and deal pretty decent damage.

His Yellow is quite SO SO cos I have all power rights. But This is one of a few times I can put OML to 544 (if you have only 1 yellow cover of Black Bolt) and take advantage of all his 555 power to the fullest. Good for Phx in some case and JG.

I vote him is top 5 of all 5* under BSS, GG, OML, IMXL and BlackBolt as 5th cos of his lower health at this moment comparing to others and average match damage.

PS** Goodbye Cap5, I won't be chasing you in Classic. Rest in Peace in that frozen ice cube...
  • Blahahah
    Options
    notamutant wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:

But why risk having their moves not do max damage if you don't have the yellow for BB? There is no real spin for his yellow, it is officially the most useless move in 5 star land, unless you magically cover max BB and have other 5 star almost but not quite cover maxed.

Some team mates for him wouldn't suffer from having the 4/4/5 build such as Hulk or Silver Surfer or Phoenix. In fact, the only time I can see myself running 5/5/3 type builds with him on the team is only in the case where the other member has just an all-around better active yellow which is... what... post-transformation OML, and even that's debatable.

I mean his green is too good to simply pass up, and his black is absurdity, so realistically speaking there's no reason to run more than 3 yellow ever. So in the cases where between level 4 and 5 is marginal at best (like 200 healing for SS or blowing up one more tile, Bruce flipping strike tiles to green or getting 200 more damage on his black, Phoenix not adding 400 power to her enemy tiles but not losing any damage and coming back 1 turn earlier) it could be workable to use his yellow to gain the temporary benefits each side includes.

Phoenix about to die out? Throw an inspire on her last minute and let her reap the quick revive. Want to really juice out an extra charge tile or have a black hole out and want it to be just a little bit more black hole-ish? Throw the yellow. It's one of those "there if you need it" type deals, but running 4/4/5 when 3/5/5 or 5/3/5 on a character makes almost no difference makes the most out of the ability. Know what I mean? To be fair, and I mean COMPLETELY fair, yellow isn't exactly a color you need in spades in 5* land. Only 3 other characters use it, and even then to only meager effect.

I'd even say running OML as a 5/4/4 would be viable. You can use his black then BB yellow to make the most of his beserker mode since, let's be really honest here, 8 yellow AP for 9000-ish damage is meh in the first place but you wouldn't have to sacrifice the passive healing in his normal form.

Then again, I see myself running him in a team with Hulk and SS so maybe that's just me.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well his numbers are in, and he looks quite decent.

His green is really really strong, and I don't think it is that hard to get the extra AP to get the full extent of the power (this is how 5 Cap yellow should be). Even just using 10 green is good enough, 14k for 10AP is not GG good but it is quite ok. It is a pity we don't get damage from the destroyed tiles icon_lol.gificon_twisted.gificon_razz.gif

Black looks also quite good, much better than expected. I wasn't expecting the ability to create 2 tiles every turn and the damage is also quite good so this one looks promising. Specially if combined with PH or someone who produces tiles of the colors you want. The only thing I dont like is that it creates charged tiles in the most present color, so this usually means that this is a color you are not chasing... I guess it will work best in rainbow teams with very high match damage. And again ****! Why SilverS doesnt benefit in any way of the extra charged tiles in the board?!?!?! If he was a bit more like 4hor those two together would be super good (BB and SS).

Yellow as expected is not very good.
    Second, I love his Green. OMG, if you investing in your AP boosts a bit, and BlackBolt is fully maxed 450 or even higher, you are talking about almost end game within few turns after collecting few missing AP and Green to trigger it. Shattering middle roll only also very effective and deal pretty decent damage.

If max AP boosted, so +2AP all, +2 gb, +2pbl then we need 2 green matches, 1 red match, 1 yellow match and one extra 1 AP for black, blue and purple so in the worst case scenario that is 7 matches (most of the time it is going to be 5 probably). So in the worst case, without any match4 or more, in 7 turns the other team will suffer 27k AoE. Not bad icon_razz.gif

The only problem is that after green, you are at 0 in everything, so I guess it is a power that is best used as finisher icon_razz.gif
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Does his Yellow work if you have 0 in a Power?

For example if you had a 0/0/1 character and brought along Black Bolt would he make that character 1/1/2 (2/2/3) or would it just be 0/0/2 (0/0/3)?

KGB
  • Koffitok
    Koffitok Posts: 87
    Options
    KGB wrote:
    Does his Yellow work if you have 0 in a Power?

For example if you had a 0/0/1 character and brought along Black Bolt would he make that character 1/1/2 (2/2/3) or would it just be 0/0/2 (0/0/3)?

KGB
    I managed to pull a Yellow yesterday, it does give you abilities you're missing!