***** Black Bolt (Inhuman King) *****

Options

Comments

• Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Options
    People sure do like to complain before we've even seen him in action.

For all we know, having a 5/5/5 might end up being stupid good.
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    jobob wrote:
    whathappened.jpg

I really hope you are wrong Jobob because Blackbolt would obliterate Cap and Ironman with a mere whisper.
  • SangFroid
    SangFroid Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Blahahah wrote:

This is not something we need to wait to see though. We all know what the power sets of each character is at 5 covers. Obviously having 5/5/5 would be nice on a lot of characters, but the power increase is completely useless in most cases. Example Goblin at 553 nobody really cares if his yellow is five so that would be virtually useless. SS you are going 5 red regardless but 3-5 in blue or black does not really make an impact . Same with OML. It might be nice with Phoenix but really his yellow is completely giving up a slot that could be filled by an actually useful ability.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    First off, I agree with everyone that his yellow is pretty much useless; however, I do think it has one very specific "meta" use. This use is basically acknowledging that there is a serious RNG problem for getting 5 stars covered. A 5 star at level 390 can be very useful with this yellow skill active, but not so much without the yellow active. The problem with this concept is that BB is coming out pretty late in the 5* game, so you need him covered before he is useful.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Blahahah wrote:

Let's talk about this then. Black Bolt yellow sucks if you are basing it on going 553 to 555. I shall lay out why below:

First off... not a passive. Costs AP, and you don't even get to place the tile.

For 8 yellow AP, you get a randomly placed tile that for a few turns:

OML (I run 553) - 3 -> 5 red isn't awful. Strike tiles go from 354 -> 409 (x 2 tiles). And it should go into effect as soon as you cast BB yellow. That's an extra 110 damage on everything for 2 turns. If he transforms, I don't have the exact number for my level, but at 450 it's an increase of 1040 damage, or +7409 if he's low on health (and the threshold becomes 60% instead of 40%). Unfortunately, I could use the 8 yellow instead to cast another "Old Habits," which at 450 does up to 26,655 total damage to their team. 26,655 > 7409. Black Bolt sucks.

PHx (I run 355) - 3 -> 5 green does nothing 95% of the time. In the 5% of matches that she dies, the CD tile drops to 1 turn, and it adds 7% resurrected health (3,389 in my case). BUT you have to time that CD tile out perfectly so that it's out when she dies... so in effect you're trading one random CD tile (the res) for another (BB). Ugh. I'd rather concentrate on red or purple and get off another one of those powers. Black Bolt sucks.

BSS (I run 455) - 4 -> 5 blue & green adds some damage to those moves. I usually don't cast green until I have enough blue for 2 hits, so that would add a total of 6499 extra damage. Of course, that now means that in addition to needing 14 green, and 12 blue, I now need 8 yellow. I'd rather try to get 6 more blue and add 9859 damage, instead of 6499. Black Bolt sucks.

Green Goblin (I run 553) - 3 -> 5 yellow doesn't matter. Sure, it reduces all CD tiles instead of 3 (INCLUDING, BB's, btw)... but I just used up all my yellow AP casting a BB power that is worthless because I can't cast the power it just boosted. Black Bolt sucks.

5IM (I run 553 most often) - 3 -> 5 yellow raises max damage by 6381... but, uh-oh, I just used all my yellow again. So a power that does 1861 dmg/AP at 3 covers, now does 1436 dmg/AP (at the cost of 20! yellow). So BB yellow actually nerfs the damage by 23%. Black Bolt sucks.

SS (I run 535) - 3 -> 5 red adds 2042 damage. Just awesome for 8 yellow AP. Or, get 7 more red and do another 6411 damage instead. Your call. Black Bolt sucks.

Craptain (I run 553 or 535 or 553 because they all suck) - If yellow is at 3, then same thing with IM... you just made that power a lot more expensive for no good reason. If red, you've added 1931 damage at the cost of 8 yellow AP you should've just put toward Cap's yellow. If blue, hey, it could be up to 2664 more damage and 1848 more healing! Awesome, right? Except there's no way there's gonna be 8 special tiles out most of the time, and you've just brought along black bolt, who doesn't make any special tiles instead of someone who might actually help Cap suck less. Black Bolt sucks.

I don't have the Bannerman yet, so can't give details on him.
  • jobob
    Options
    notamutant wrote:
    First off, I agree with everyone that his yellow is pretty much useless; however, I do think it has one very specific "meta" use. This use is basically acknowledging that there is a serious RNG problem for getting 5 stars covered. A 5 star at level 390 can be very useful with this yellow skill active, but not so much without the yellow active. The problem with this concept is that BB is coming out pretty late in the 5* game, so you need him covered before he is useful.
    True, but that requires you to adequately cover BB despite the aforementioned RNG issue, and take along a not-so-useful character instead of pairing your level 390 him with another solid 5*.

I also worry that this will be D3's default excuse when speeding up the frequency of 5* releases that no one has time to cover.

"We gave you Black Bolt so you don't have to cover them. What more do you want?"
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jobob wrote:
    I also worry that this will be D3's default excuse when speeding up the frequency of 5* releases that no one has time to cover.

"We gave you Black Bolt so you don't have to cover them. What more do you want?"
    Does that make Black Bolt the Star-Lord of the 5* tier? He pairs well with everyone!!!1!!one!
  • jobob
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:
    jobob wrote:

Does that make Black Bolt the Star-Lord of the 5* tier? He pairs well with everyone!!!1!!one!
    lol... Well played Dayv. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hey everyone is not realizing the great thing about BB not being great and a 5*. It means you can play PVE for ISO and the 25 CP instead of grinding the new format for PVE for a new 4* that has a bad power. Also you get to save 1000 HP on roster slots by not pulling latest LT and just stick to the classic.

On another note his other 2 powers don't look bad. His green when you have 5 in all colors will probably one shot someone and his passive will be either good or bad as the charge tiles can be used by either teams for AP. I would image the damage will be good at level 5 so bring your Ragnorok TU!!!
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    You know what would be great? If someone in Red would post the dang damage #s!!!
  • d3guser
    d3guser Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Options
    At this point, i would be happy if atleast the title is changed... Why are the updates slow???
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    At this point, we're more likely to have KDN review the character for us before Cthulhu...
  • KingDreadnaught
    KingDreadnaught Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Options
    I will report and analyze within 4 hours... icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Cthulhu
    Cthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 410 Site Admin
    Options
    updated with his powers now listed
  • Cthulhu
    Options
    LordXberk wrote:
    At this point, we're more likely to have KDN review the character for us before Cthulhu...
    Trying, i just got back from gen con this week and had a lot of catching up to do! Sorry for taking so long!
  • Cthulhu
    Options
    jobob wrote:
    notamutant wrote:
    True, but that requires you to adequately cover BB despite the aforementioned RNG issue, and take along a not-so-useful character instead of pairing your level 390 him with another solid 5*.

As I keep saying, we are working on a lot of things! When things are closer we will be updating the community with all the stuff we have been discussing and working on.

edit: i can't wait to share them
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Cthulhu wrote:

Black Bolt's character stats use Wasp's icon and not his.
  • Cthulhu
    Options
    Cthulhu wrote:

Black Bolt's character stats use Wasp's icon and not his.

Oops! thank you!
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Cthulhu wrote:
    jobob wrote:
    notamutant wrote:

As I keep saying, we are working on a lot of things! When things are closer we will be updating the community with all the stuff we have been discussing and working on.

edit: i can't wait to share them

Hopefully one of these things you have been working on is actually coming soon.
  • We_are_Venom
    We_are_Venom Posts: 308 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm not sure I think looking at a 5* based on how it performs with other maxed 5*'s is the best idea, or what they are doing when creating them. That's talking to the topp, small ℅ of the players. Most players will use a 5* as a "front of the rotation" character and fill out the team with any mix of 4,3,2. I'm not saying it's a end all, be all power, but if it was people would complain about how OP it is. It has uses, it's just not across the entire spectrum of characters.