Double-tap apologies

Comments

• JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vohnkar wrote:
    whitecat31 wrote:
    Linkster79 wrote:

That is complete and utter bull ****. How does Player A know that they have broken the rules of your sacred covenant? Is Player A even aware of the unwritten rules of player versus player? Would you like it if Player A got a load of their cronies to gang up on you for refusing to conform to their rules of which you had no knowledge?

The only rules of the game are those that the developer has put into place, which is usually you have to use a certain character, if you want to play your own fictitious rules among your alliance and friends that's fine, but don't expect others to do the same and certainly don't bully others when they don't comply.

If a player is unshielded they are fair game.

I can't help it, if they don't know the "sacred covenant". For us, it is cooperation and teamwork. Our play style helps our teammates win and place in PVP's and our alliances get better awards. It is the advantage of having friends and teammates who have our backs as well as quality communication. We are not going to change the way we play. If the developers did not want us to act like teammates, they would not have created alliances. You can call us names, but it won't change the facts or the results.

The problem with that play style is that you are ruining the game for a lot of players. I didn't know that this hole CC, baking and other things existed until I read this post and searched on the forums other similar threads to get the info. I've never looked at the names of people I hit. I'm not a high ranked player nor I do a lot of points in PvP, but sometimes I get 2-3 "easy" target that can make me hit the 800 mark and I usually just hit them without thinking twice.

today on Iron man PvP I've seen a couple of 1*-2* teams in the 800+ and I was like O.o "can i get 1k for the first time?" I was unshielded when I noded those teams, If I wait I'm being hit by 200+ points If I don't it seems I get blacklisted and I won't be able to get 1k again? (BTW now, that I know this unwritten rules I've waited, got hit and climbed again again).

Well, sorry if I double tapped or triple anyone on this Iron Man event, it's been my first event trying to get to 1k without shields until the end. I've been yoyoing from 300 to 800 the last couple of days, so I've done a ton of matches and maybe I've been hitting some teams 3,4,5,6 whatever amount of times....
    Players that don't know about this play style "ruin" the game for (some of) those that play this way when they hit their cupcakes.

I think the point here is this:

There are lots of different play styles. All are equally valid regardless of if you're playing a certain way to be a jerk or not.
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    Vohnkar wrote:
    whitecat31 wrote:
    Linkster79 wrote:

That is complete and utter bull ****. How does Player A know that they have broken the rules of your sacred covenant? Is Player A even aware of the unwritten rules of player versus player? Would you like it if Player A got a load of their cronies to gang up on you for refusing to conform to their rules of which you had no knowledge?

The only rules of the game are those that the developer has put into place, which is usually you have to use a certain character, if you want to play your own fictitious rules among your alliance and friends that's fine, but don't expect others to do the same and certainly don't bully others when they don't comply.

I can't help it, if they don't know the "sacred covenant". For us, it is cooperation and teamwork. Our play style helps our teammates win and place in PVP's and our alliances get better awards. It is the advantage of having friends and teammates who have our backs as well as quality communication. We are not going to change the way we play. If the developers did not want us to act like teammates, they would not have created alliances. You can call us names, but it won't change the facts or the results.

The problem with that play style is that you are ruining the game for a lot of players. I didn't know that this hole CC, baking and other things existed until I read this post and searched on the forums other similar threads to get the info. I've never looked at the names of people I hit. I'm not a high ranked player nor I do a lot of points in PvP, but sometimes I get 2-3 "easy" target that can make me hit the 800 mark and I usually just hit them without thinking twice.

today on Iron man PvP I've seen a couple of 1*-2* teams in the 800+ and I was like O.o "can i get 1k for the first time?" I was unshielded when I noded those teams, If I wait I'm being hit by 200+ points If I don't it seems I get blacklisted and I won't be able to get 1k again? (BTW now, that I know this unwritten rules I've waited, got hit and climbed again again).

Well, sorry if I double tapped or triple anyone on this Iron Man event, it's been my first event trying to get to 1k without shields until the end. I've been yoyoing from 300 to 800 the last couple of days, so I've done a ton of matches and maybe I've been hitting some teams 3,4,5,6 whatever amount of times....
    Sounds like whitecat is a little extreme in his playstyle. Look, you have to play your game too. If you are topped out at 850 and find two 75 point targets to get you to 1k without a shield, and don't have time to wait - you should absolutely hit them. You wait as a common courtesy....if you can, but those of us who are reasonable understand that not everyone is in a position to wait around. When I get hit by a random from under 800 I chalk it up to my own slow play - I should have finished my last match and shielded more quickly, oh well. I only get upset and target people that are repeat offenders or have been around long enough to know better.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Vohnkar wrote:
    whitecat31 wrote:
    Linkster79 wrote:

You say this play style is ruining it for a lot of players, but the whole reason, many people are able to get large amount of points and get those 1300 commandpoints.png points and 1000 point star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png rewards is specifically because of that play style.
    Also, we don't blacklist people, there are very few players who are kill on sight all the time. Those players who are, have gone out of their way to get noticed. We just protect out teammates the only way we can, within the rules of the game.
    There is a matchmaking system, that allows players only within a certain range of points to see other players. You have to pass a threshold of points, based on some algorithm made by the developers to see certain players. If we hit you, and you lose points, then you might not be able to climb up and see our high point scorers for a while. Now the development team won't tell us the specifics of the matchmaking algorithm, but it is just another unwritten rule we have to accept.
    We also know some people when they are hit, will shield up shieldgrey.png to protect their points after they have sniped one or more of our friends. If they are not hit, they will keep hitting our friends.
    You made a choice to not shield. shieldgrey.png You chose to not spend any heropointsbig.png but you are hitting people, who are spending a lot of heropointsbig.png to earn points. They spend that money just so they can help other players and teammates. Many of us show that appreciation, by protecting them as well. Please keep that in mind.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Vohnkar wrote:
    whitecat31 wrote:
    Linkster79 wrote:

I can assure you that neither bakers nor enforcers are ruining your game. I really wish people would stop being so damn paranoid and think they are getting enforced or bullied. You are what Line users call a "Random". A guy with a smaller roster who happened to stumble onto a cake. Bakers know that you don't know the "rules" and they also know that a smaller roster has less time to wait. They forget your name in less than 5 minutes.

You will not get enforced ever because enforcing requires a strong roster. Enforcers won't even be able to queue your team. If you're getting hit a lot then you're just getting hit a lot by other "randoms". That's it.

The one's who do get enforced are the repeat offenders who do know better. A former baker who goes rogue because someone peed in his cereal, someone who smashes cakes on purpose to make a statement, someone who dumps points just so they can hit the cake harder etc. Fighting these people off is not bullying like a lot of people here are saying. I'd call it standing up to a bully. I think enforcing is largely counterproductive, but that's a whole different topic.
  • Vohnkar
    Vohnkar Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    Understood, my apologies then for not understanding correctly the hole thing. "rules" learned, and I will try not to be a "random" hitter and wait if I find a CC when I manage to get high enough icon_e_wink.gif
  • PeterGibbons316
    Ruinate wrote:
    I can assure you that neither bakers nor enforcers are ruining your game. I really wish people would stop being so damn paranoid and think they are getting enforced or bullied. You are what Line users call a "Random". A guy with a smaller roster who happened to stumble onto a cake. Bakers know that you don't know the "rules" and they also know that a smaller roster has less time to wait. They forget your name in less than 5 minutes.

You will not get enforced ever because enforcing requires a strong roster. Enforcers won't even be able to queue your team. If you're getting hit a lot then you're just getting hit a lot by other "randoms". That's it.
    So much this. Most enforcers are 5* players, and they can't even find most randoms to enforce them if they wanted to.
  • Mathrim
    Mathrim Posts: 63 Match Maker
    Excuse for double tap? This topic is just lol

If someone don't want get hits, go play pve.
  • Shemhazi
    Shemhazi Posts: 28
    Hits happen. Get over it. Unless someone is targeting you specifically, then it's just part of the game. Does it suck sometimes? Sure, but it's part of the game.
    Shemhazi wrote:
    What are SSOLU
    You don't have the required clearance for that information.

Haha... my mind almost immediately went to "Secret Society of Line Users", but then I remembered this is a Marvel game, not DC.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Blahahah wrote:
    "Double Tap". I'm sorry, were you looking to climb? I should sit back here and just not punch you for 75 points 5 times over because you're a tinykitty cupcake factory.
    Maybe if I'm lucky, when you walk by with your shiny new cover you'll let me smell it. That's just as good as having it.

Sorry but if I wanted to put myself through the seven arts of bushido I'd play PvE. PvP is about winning. I don't care if you feel like the attitude isn't "nice" or if it's "mean spirited". If I see a Luke Cage and Iron Fist worth more than 40 points you'd better bet I'm going to come plowing in with my Ant Man until that team isn't worth my time anymore. I'm nice enough to not shield and let the buzzards pick my bones when I'm asleep or at work, but when I rise back up it's go time.

Plain and simple. Your characters aren't owned by a player to me, they're an amalgamation of points that I need to keep climbing. Don't worry about "those other teams to hit", I'll hit them too. I'll punch all of the things.

Say what you want about codes of ethics and all of that jazz, when it comes down to it if the person wants to get his points back I'm right here waiting. We'll see who can keep going the longest. icon_mad.gif
    3c09d14adcdd6626599b630020298af374a0fd836295a829a62c17c45770fd64.jpg

You are adorable. Unfortunately the biggest detriment to you not earning those shiny new covers is your over-aggressive playstyle. Every time you hit a cupcake early you reduce the points you get from it - substantially. Your brownie of an A-team isn't fast enough to double cakes, and you are wasting points trying to do so. When you queue up a cake the game loads several other teams on that node - often the same cake team is loaded again. So when you hit the same team twice in a row it's because you loaded it twice from the start, not because you hit it so fast that you were able to reload it after the first battle. So if you would actually relax for a couple minutes and wait and hit it, it will be worth quite a bit more.......both hits. You see, the etiquette doesn't come from people being pansies, and the desire to hold hands and sing Kumbaya. It comes from being the most effective way to maximize points.

For one, old meme is old.

Second, I earn covers just fine thanks. I climb, fall, climb again and that's what it is. I've taken top 5 and first in my fair share of PvP events, don't think I've ever seen a 75 point team appear for 67 then 58 again and thought to myself "Oh gee, I better not eat this cupcake a third time." In fact, to be honest with you I don't think I've ever seen a high value target pop up when I'm cruising around 800-900 points and not just eaten it. If it gets me to 1k, it's devoured.

It's cool that you guys have a system in place but I don't find it particularly agreeable or, honestly, necessary in the first place. That's just me, I still hit my markers just fine without it. I know there's the "but it could be infinitely easier if you followed the system" type argument, but if I have to follow stricter rules just to do what I do normally without much trouble, then like what's really the point? I sort of see it like the Indians and the Redcoats battles, how the Redcoats had codes of war and specific regiments and things like that, but the Indians weren't really going to form up battle lines and fire volleys. They dipped in, killed, and dipped back out to prepare the next strike. If everyone is redcoats, then sure the battles go great and I'm sure its the best time for them, but for folks like me I just see it different.

Also, try to be less pedantic. I promise, no one is slapping you with a white glove and challenging you just because they have a differing opinion. You don't need to try and be "right" when there's no argument to begin with. It makes you come off less... Maybe snarky is the word? Obnoxious? Something like that. It's easier to take you seriously when your post doesn't start off with a 6 year old meme and "you're adorable".
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Blahahah wrote:
    It's cool that you guys have a system in place but I don't find it particularly agreeable or, honestly, necessary in the first place. That's just me, I still hit my markers just fine without it.

I'm not going to argue with your playstyle. This is just a game, and anyone can play it as they see fit, and that's totally fine by me.

The comment I just wanted to make is that you would probably find it difficult to hit your markers without all of the coordination that is going on. One of the reasons why you (and I, and everybody else) can hit your markers is because you can find reasonable value targets when you're climbing at 700, 800, and 900 points. Those targets are there because additional points have been injected into the shard by people coordinating shield hops etc, and spending a lot of HP doing so. Try playing in a slice where that sort of thing doesn't happen, or frontrunning early on in an event when the points aren't there. You'll reach 800 points, and then everyone is going to be worth 20 points or less, and it's a slog to get to 1K. The major alliances and check rooms have found it necessary to have a system in place because it trickles down points to everyone in the shard, so that people climbing later can hit their markers. You're actually benefiting from that system too.
  • lokiagentofhotness
    lokiagentofhotness Posts: 192 Tile Toppler
    whitecat31 wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    whitecat31 wrote:
    If you are double or triple tapped by me, it is very likely it was because you hit a friend/alliance mate. There are certain members of our alliance that play the "enforcer role" from time to time. We get revenge for hitting our climbers.
    Why not save the revenge for people who actually do something dickish, rather than people who are just playing the game?

I see your point, but as far as many of us our concerned, hitting our point generators is "kittyish", and we will protect them.
    For us, it is part of playing the game, in which you have alliances and groups of people who communicate well with each other.
    Example, Player A sees a CC team of Player B, and hits Player B immediately, instead of waiting for Player B to shield. Player A gains 75 points for his "kittyish" move.
    Player B, shields and post screen shots of Player A, hitting him, in a chat room.
    "Enforcers" Player C, Player D, and Player E, target and hit Player A, for hitting a CC team. Player A has lost 300+ points.

Another example. Player A sees player B with high points who is climbing and preparing to do a CC. Player A hits Player B, and ruins the CC node that Player B had. Player B posts the screen shot and tells a bunch of disappointed people that he can't CC, because Player A ruined Player B's CC node.
    Again Player C, Player D, and Player E, target Player A, for hitting the climbing Player B, again Player A has a net loss of 300+ points.

Later Player A sees player B, and doesn't hit him immediately, because he knows what might happen, if he does, and hits the node 15 minutes later without any consequences.
    Even later Player A, joins the chat groups, and learns about how these people who communicate well, working as a team, are able to generate points for a bunch of other like minded players.
    Even much, later he is invited to join one of these well communicating alliances, and finds himself getting higher points and much higher rewards.
    Oh and on that note, the Xmen have a few openings in our lower level alliances.

if you cc you deserve to get hit, repeatedly.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    morph3us wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:
    It's cool that you guys have a system in place but I don't find it particularly agreeable or, honestly, necessary in the first place. That's just me, I still hit my markers just fine without it.

I'm not going to argue with your playstyle. This is just a game, and anyone can play it as they see fit, and that's totally fine by me.

The comment I just wanted to make is that you would probably find it difficult to hit your markers without all of the coordination that is going on. One of the reasons why you (and I, and everybody else) can hit your markers is because you can find reasonable value targets when you're climbing at 700, 800, and 900 points. Those targets are there because additional points have been injected into the shard by people coordinating shield hops etc, and spending a lot of HP doing so. Try playing in a slice where that sort of thing doesn't happen, or frontrunning early on in an event when the points aren't there. You'll reach 800 points, and then everyone is going to be worth 20 points or less, and it's a slog to get to 1K. The major alliances and check rooms have found it necessary to have a system in place because it trickles down points to everyone in the shard, so that people climbing later can hit their markers. You're actually benefiting from that system too.

Possibly, and I'm not saying the system doesn't affect me. What I'm saying is I don't see any point or value into investing into it as an average everyday player.
    Though lately with pokemon go it seems like the upper levels are a little dry, but that's beside the point. All I'm saying is a lot of people use LINE and all of that stuff and work with the alliance and other teams to make cakes and eat them too. I don't see the point in it, at least, not in making myself involved in the specifics. See a cake, eat a cake.

See something worth 75 points, and when tapped it pops back up again for a high value still? I'll hit it again. That's how I do things. Though personally I would be partial towards just none of it affecting play at all for anyone, I'm equally aware of the amount of players which such a system benefits. Hence my statement, not saying the system is unnecessary in total, just it's not a system I find necessary to become a part of. I could see how it could be misinterpreted the other way though. Just doesn't work for me in a direct sense.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    2f9.jpg
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    What percentage of the players coordinate? I doubt it's 10%.
    What percentage of the players "know the rules" - to not double tap, to wait on cupcakes, whatever. I doubt it's 50%.

To those individuals and alliances that love to hunt and "punish" rule offenders (who many have mentioned - probably don't know the "rules"!) - realize those players also probably never look at names or alliances. Since I went off line I look at names/alliances much less. Did I hit the same eight-alliance team a bunch of times this event? Maybe, I couldn't possibly know...and I'm sort of looking since I know the "rules".

But if that player is punished for hitting the mega-alliance team-mates, what do you think the un-aware player will do? Keep climbing...and if your mega-alliance is punishing the player with your strong players, they will probably be climbing on your weaker players. Isn't it better to further encourage cupcaking/coordinating/shielding at all times?

I've always thought that hunting/revenge for the mega-alliance will overall hurt the alliance/shard points more than help it. You've suddenly made sure many of your team-mates might lose many more points, since they are now worth so much more.

I've also always thought this is the very reason for eliminating visible names - don't let the player getting hit curse out/complain about specific people or alliances. Don't let the enforcers out there hunt like they do, giving these complaints further advocates.

Or do another suggestion that I've seen for almost all of my playtime here - if you are attacked, remove the name from queue and don't allow multiple D-losses at once. But suggestion one the multi-alliances could get around; suggestion two here would eliminate cupcakes.
  • PeterGibbons316
    Blahahah wrote:
    I don't see any point or value into investing into it as an average everyday player.

I don't see the point in it, at least, not in making myself involved in the specifics. See a cake, eat a cake.

See something worth 75 points, and when tapped it pops back up again for a high value still? I'll hit it again.

You care enough to come on here to post about it, so please take the time to let me explain why your playstyle is detrimental to all of us (including you). When someone bakes a cake the second they win a match with their cupcake team that easy team shows up for others to queue. At the same time they are off fighting another cupcake themselves as quickly as possible. Here they are using their best defensive team, as well as boosts and/or team ups to help finish as quickly as possible. As soon as they win they shield, and now anyone that loads them will see this new team. So for you to queue that cupcake twice you have to find it the first time (unlikely that you are skipping the second they finish their battle, so they already have a head start on you), then defeat that cupcake with your best team (Ant-man not exactly known for his speed), then go back and start skipping to find it again - all faster than the baker can beat another cupcake and put up a shield. This is unlikely to occur, but when it does occur the baker gets hit hard, and everyone suffers.

What you are experiencing is a result of the cache system. When you skip nodes the game loads several opponents (I think typically 5?) into a cache for you on that particular node. This helps keep the server from getting bogging down by checking for a fresh target every single time you hit the skip button - it just loads 5 at a time for you. When you find a 75 pt target, hit it, and then find it again - it's NOT because you hit it so fast that you were able to queue it again before they put their shield up. It's because when you loaded it the first time you actually loaded it twice in your cache. When I was a 3* player I used to pay attention to the top of my leaderboard and hold on to queues of top players until their scores were really high and then hit them last to give me that final bump to 800 or 1000. Often times they would be shielded at the top of my leaderboard and I would hit them, then skip that same node and find them again and hit again - even though they were shielded. It's because I was loading them from my cache. The most effective way to maximize points from a cake? When you find one skip it....keep skipping that node until it loads again. If you find it again within 4 skips you will usually have it in your cache. Then move to one of the other nodes and skip it 5 times - it's likely to be loaded into that cache as well. Then wait for the cake to shield, hit it, skip the first node until you find it again and hit it, then move to the final node and hit again. It doesn't work every time, but it's FAR more effective than trying to hit a cake as quickly as you can.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    What percentage of the players coordinate? I doubt it's 10%.
    What percentage of the players "know the rules" - to not double tap, to wait on cupcakes, whatever. I doubt it's 50%.
    What percentage of players get to 800-900 points in pvp? What about over 1000?
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    suggestion two here would eliminate cupcakes.

I don't get you. You cry about variety but you want to get rid of cakes? You do realize that a giant portion of the front running bakers have monster 5* right? If cakes are gone, not many are going to continue to hit each other's A teams to 3k. Instead of baking, shielding, and getting out of the way, they will float forever clogging your queues even more while farming you.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    On reflection, when I constantly waste iso skipping high value targets that I have already waited for and then hit once, and see the same names from their alliances hitting me multiple times in every available event from lightning rounds to pvp and shield sim, I find myself questioning why I feel obligated to play nice.

MMR hell? I have it too. I still manage to find plenty of targets who have not been hit by me.

Maybe it's just that I'm not a part of that visible community and thus do not get targeted in the same way, but these days I find members of supposed nonfriendly, non-checking alliances hit me far less often and only once. I used to consider hitting them immediately fair play since they hit me as well, but now I wait for them too.

Whereas there have been multiple times when I shielded to wait because I had picked up a cc and found that the cc in question had not shielded, so I gained nothing, and in one exceptional instance got an instant retal and double tap by the "baker" during my hop for waiting. That's hardly altruism... it looks more like malice with forethought.

There are people not in my alliance that I skip by default as friendly no matter what. Some I go out of my way to shield check if no better targets present themselves, and skip again if they are planning to hop.

And then there are some that definitely make me reconsider joining a shield check room at all, because I don't want to play with them or their friends.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ruinate wrote:
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    suggestion two here would eliminate cupcakes.

I don't get you. You cry about variety but you want to get rid of cakes? You do realize that a giant portion of the front running bakers have monster 5* right? If cakes are gone, not many are going to continue to hit each other's A teams to 3k. Instead of baking, shielding, and getting out of the way, they will float forever clogging your queues even more while farming you.

My point was I don't like suggestion two (which I don't suggest but see out there often - don't allow multiple attacks at once on any given team), I like suggestion one (get rid of names when attacking) which when I suggested in page 2 and folks complained it would eliminate CC's, many popped on and said no it wouldn't. Easy to say "I have cupcake with Capt. Marvel/Juggy/X out" and two minutes later say "cupcake with Capt. Marvel/Juggy/X shielded".
    What percentage of players get to 800-900 points in pvp? What about over 1000?[/quote]

-LOTS- of people get to 1K without coordination. Some get to 1300 without coordination. It takes timing and shield hops, but it's completely doable depending on your roster.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    What percentage of players get to 800-900 points in pvp? What about over 1000?
    -LOTS- of people get to 1K without coordination. Some get to 1300 without coordination. It takes timing and shield hops, but it's completely doable depending on your roster.
    -LOTS- is not a percentage. The vast majority of players don't operate at the level required for any of this discussion to be relevant, and as was helpfully explained, random folks that climb to 1000 a couple of times a season aren't on the enforcers' radar.