Comments

• Legasher
    Legasher Posts: 67 Match Maker
    My personal guess is Man-Thing.
  • Phaentom
    Phaentom Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm curious. With his personality aspect changing before each "round." Is a round the start of a match, or is a round the start of a wave? Having him flip flop all over the place between each wave may be interesting, or maddening.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Great. So the purple option for the passive is one-third as good as obws passive. On top of that obw steals AP. That's great design, strictly outclassed by a 2*. If you are going to go with boosting match damage at least make it boost all three of his colors. Right now it's just an awful option to get assigned randomly.
  • Legasher
    edited June 2016
    Wow, I have terrible timing, lol.

I didn't know much about Moon Knight. He looks alright. The randomness will make it harder to make a team around him, but you're always going to use him in some way. The extent to which he's actually useful despite that randomness is questionable. Maybe a good pairing with FalCap, since there's no color overlap and FalCap doesn't care what kinds of tiles MK makes? The randomness is going to be his biggest detriment though, especially with OML still running rampant. Any green bomb is going to be better when you can make sure the damage is going to go to a character that isn't going to just heal it away in a couple turns.

I'm talking myself out of liking this character pretty quickly...
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Legasher wrote:

I didn't know much about Moon Knight. He looks alright. The randomness will make it slightly harder to make a team around him, but you're always going to use him in some way. Maybe a good pairing with FalCap, since there's no color overlap and FalCap doesn't care what kinds of tiles MK makes?

Except when he doesn't actually make a tile.
  • Legasher
    Legasher wrote:

I didn't know much about Moon Knight. He looks alright. The randomness will make it slightly harder to make a team around him, but you're always going to use him in some way. Maybe a good pairing with FalCap, since there's no color overlap and FalCap doesn't care what kinds of tiles MK makes?

Except when he doesn't actually make a tile.

Yeah, so even that's out. icon_e_confused.gif
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    pheregas wrote:
    I'm curious. With his personality aspect changing before each "round." Is a round the start of a match, or is a round the start of a wave? Having him flip flop all over the place between each wave may be interesting, or maddening.
    Pretty sure they're going to lock in the ability at the start of a fight.
  • Skygazing
    Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    pheregas wrote:
    Pretty sure they're going to lock in the ability at the start of a fight.

It'll happen at the beginning and be locked in.
    Mawtful wrote:
    The Black ability doesn't really sound like a black ability (unless the drawback is that you heal instead of create special tiles). Is is true healing or fake healing? If it's true healing it's worth noting that because the heal is a part of the ability and not a passive, it will still resolve if you use this to kill the last enemy standing.

The way it's worded suggests true healing, and the drawback is that normally you create enemy Attack tiles when using it.
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Skygazing wrote:
    Mawtful wrote:
    The Black ability doesn't really sound like a black ability (unless the drawback is that you heal instead of create special tiles). Is is true healing or fake healing? If it's true healing it's worth noting that because the heal is a part of the ability and not a passive, it will still resolve if you use this to kill the last enemy standing.

The way it's worded suggests true healing, and the drawback is that normally you create enemy Attack tiles when using it.
    I also think it's true healing. Fake healing (?) usually uses burst of health in the description. Moon Knight says it restores health, similar to Ares' yellow.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Early to tell for sure because scaling from 1 cover to 5cover is inconsistent in the tier (or has a formula I haven't cracked), but his green should be a minimum of 8125 damage, and could be up to 13k if he scales 'normally' (with a 4.2 multiplier for covers and the standard 1.95 for base to max)

Same for his black, 1269 is a lot of base damage for 1 cover. Though this one has other components, so probably scales to 6k or so.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tiger Wong wrote:
    Cthulhu wrote:
    Pre-release ability precis:
      Damage/Special Tile - 9 AP - Deals damage and creates Special Tiles, if the enemy dies on attack the hero is healed instead.

Special Tile - 0 AP - (PASSIVE) At start of battle this power will randomly be one of three powers shown to player with animation that will create a Special Tile when matching Black, Purple or Green tiles.

Damage - 12 AP - Deals damage to a random enemy.

Hmmm....

A power that heals.
      Two powers that are random. Random is usually magic
      Generates special tiles when matching black purple and green.

Who's got a movie coming out later this year?
      Doctor Strange is still five months away in theaters, so I expect his in-game reveal is at least four months out. He also might end up as a 5* character.
    • Warbringa
      Warbringa Posts: 1,289 Chairperson of the Boards
      edited June 2016
      Ok a few things here:

His power of healing actually is in effect draining the life of his victim. If the enemy dies, he gains life...very vampire in nature so you would expect a darker character.

His second ability truly does seem random. You won't know which ability you get until you start the match however when you match a green, black or purple tile that particular ability effect will happen. I don't believe it implies that you each color you match give you a different effect because it says when you match any of the those three colors. It is a very random ability and unless all three effects are good could limit the character. In addition the fact there are three different powers could represent perhaps three other minions or allies?

His green ability is the definition of randomness.

Possibilities: Lord Chaos, Rogue (life force absorption and randomness certainly but I don't think they will do any more X-Men)

My best bet: Jubilee (she was turned into a vampire and her powers are extremely chaotic and almost random) - this guess still though has the X-Men factor against it

51b0fa61e4551.jpg

Never mind....I now read a post above and it is Moon Knight. Awesome but were his powers really so random?
    • Dayv
      Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
      Great. So the purple option for the passive is one-third as good as obws passive. On top of that obw steals AP. That's great design, strictly outclassed by a 2*. If you are going to go with boosting match damage at least make it boost all three of his colors. Right now it's just an awful option to get assigned randomly.
      No AP theft, you have a point.

We have no idea how much extra damage he does, so we can't compare the damage aspect. It should be big since you can only get it from one color, and this is a 4* at the late end of power creep.

Also, we don't yet know if Moon Knight has to tank purple to activate the power. If he doesn't, that nearly automatically is a huge boost in strength over the OBW (or non-bugged Vision) model.

We also don't know if this will combine with the match damage, like Vision, or double-dip like OBW. Double-dipping is a huge benefit in a strike-tile-dominated meta, but increases the value of protect tiles.

tl;dr: I'll wait for full numbers to join the gloom brigade.
    • Vhailorx
      Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
      From skimming the reveal oage, and assuming "strength tiles" mean strike tiles, it appears that his passive works as follows:

At beginning of match the game randomly selects a personality which has one of the following effects:

Green matches make strike tiles
      Purple matches do extra damage (presumably a la vision)
      Black matches make attack tiles

So all three possibilities are decent effects, but the randomness makes it very hard to team build around is this power. Is he a strike tile generator, in which case you should bring attack tiles? Or is it the other way 'round?

This mechanic is fine in vacuum, but weak in a game that requires strong team synergy to fight massively over-leveled opponents, and charges a flat 1/3 health penalty for retreating.
    • STOPTHIS
      STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
      I don't have a ton a faith he will be a good character when I see who the devs put him alongside with.

57617c2d316e7.jpg
    • udonomefoo
      udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
      STOPTHIS wrote:
      I don't have a ton a faith he will be a good character when I see who the devs put him alongside with.
      57617c2d316e7.jpg

I'm thinking the opposite. If he can take down Goblin with those teammates then he must be the strongest 4* we've seen yet.
    • Skygazing
      Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
      STOPTHIS wrote:

On the flip side, maybe pairing him with a 1 cover Chulk and IW mean he's just that good that he can hold his own without teammates icon_e_wink.gif

On another more positive note: his art looks incredible. People have been complaining about the more recent chars like WM and Kate (whose animations I actually like a lot), but I don't see how they can here.
    • Mawtful
      Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
      Skygazing wrote:
      STOPTHIS wrote:

On the flip side, maybe pairing him with a 1 cover Chulk and IW mean he's just that good that he can hold his own without teammates icon_e_wink.gif

On another more positive note: his art looks incredible. People have been complaining about the more recent chars like WM and Kate (whose animations I actually like a lot), but I don't see how they can here.

Kate's animations are so much better than her roster art!

But, yes, her roster art, like War Machine, is a bit off. I think it lacks definition, so they both kinda look like these formless shapes - the effect is worse on Kate since the human face is one of the most identifiable images, so when it looks wrong we realise innately.
    • Cthulhu
      Cthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 410 Site Admin
      Posted the details, will review and make any fixes or answer questions when I can.