Character Discussion Meta-Banter (Quick Links Index)

Options

Comments

• Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    locked wrote:
    Don't take offense, Moon Roach icon_e_biggrin.gif I was refreshing my own memory as well.

No offense taken, I'm sorry if I gave the impression I was offended.

For fun I started going through the event threads, looking for tournaments and when characters were released. It's amazing how little information there is for things more than a few months old. Though this thread is helpful: http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10212

In between battles I've gone back as far as July's simulator and the introduction of the maligned-at-the-time-but-now-considered-one-of-the-best-of-the-2*-characters HT, and I'll continue tomorrow, but right now it is the hour of scampering and time for bed.
  • Ryz-aus
    Ryz-aus Posts: 386
    Options
    locked wrote:
    Ryz, I know that there were even fewer truly original characters. I wrote off everyone before DD as an original character for ease.

No worries - just trying to give ark as good an answer as I can.

Original list documented back on 17 October:

Common:
    Iron Man
    Storm (Modern)
    Black Widow (Modern)
    Hawkeye (Classic)
    Juggernaut
    Venom
    Yelena Belova

Uncommon:
    Thor
    Storm (Classic)
    Wolverine (Astonishing X-Men)
    Magneto (Marvel NOW!)
    Spider Man (Bag Man)
    Bullseye
    Daken
    Hawkeye (Modern)

Rare:
    Loki
    Black Widow (Grey Suit)
    Doctor Doom (Classic)
    Spider Man (Classic)
    Ragnarok
    The Hood
    Magneto (Classic)

Legendary:
    Wolverine (X-Force)

Captain America was released in October 2013, and I think he was the first new character. There was some discussion back then questioning whether he was better than IM35.

IM40 and Moonstone were at the end of October/ beginning of November, so just after cap. This was all timed with the release of Unstable ISO-8, the first story after the original prologue, which back then was called story.

OBW release was mid-late November.
    Invisible woman was very end of November, early December - this might not have been all covers.

Punisher was released in mid-December in new PVE "the hunt"

Hulk was released at the end of December and was widely unlocked for all players. This was welcome because the end of the hunt was massively flubbed - players woke up getting passed and having zero points available when punisher was released.

Right after hulk came out, shields were first introduced to the game. This was a pretty huge improvement - shield hopping wasn't the mess it is now. Instead, it gave those of us who couldn't play near the end of an event a chance to get decent rewards. Before this, I could do great in lightning rounds but always had trouble finishing well in the regular tournaments.

Patch came out in mid-January - from here on out, you can probably look at the threads in Character Discussion and sort by the start dates. Reading the initial bits of this thread are pretty funny - first the people who thought he was fake, followed by the non-believers.

Hope that helps - I feel like Pepperidge farm now.
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    Options
    IIRC, Black Panther came right after Psylocke and before Lazy Cap
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Arktos if you go into the old posts in the Events and Announcements forum that was where they used to announce the release tournaments and that will help with exact dates.
    From my potentially faulty recollection here is what I remember from the last few months of 2013:

Mid October 2* Cqp
    End of October Moonstone
    Beginning of November Iron Man 40
    Mid-November Original Black Widow but initially only blue and purple covers. Espionage would be added about a month later
    Beginning of December Invisible Woman all covers to top finishers in PvE
    Mid-December The Hulk
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lazy Thor was just before Lazy Cap...around the launch of Alliances if I recall.
  • Arktos if you go into the old posts in the Events and Announcements forum that was where they used to announce the release tournaments and that will help with exact dates.
    From my potentially faulty recollection here is what I remember from the last few months of 2013:

Mid October 2* Cqp
    End of October Moonstone
    Beginning of November Iron Man 40
    Mid-November Original Black Widow but initially only blue and purple covers. Espionage would be added about a month later
    Beginning of December Invisible Woman all covers to top finishers in PvE
    Mid-December The Hulk

That's what I did, but it looks like the earlier events were not as documented as they are now.

Just made a 1st update including Dr Octopus. Now have to read the new posts thoroughly.

Thanks a lot for your help guys !

So, in 1 year of existence, MPQ has released 50 characters. Nearly one a week (average).
  • New edit with Ryz information. I wish I had such a good memory...

I started playing end of January and even that time is very blurry to me...
  • Gathering information from the Facebook page. Should make things easier. Here is Oct-Dec 2013.

30th April 2013 : Facebook Subscription
    3rd of October 2013 : Launch

5-6/10/2013 - Venom PvP
    8/10/2013 - Launch of Forum
    10/10/2013 - Avengers PvP
    11/10/2013 - Sale 25% more
    13/10/2013 - Thor free
    15/10/2013 - Thor PvP
    19/10/2013 - One Star Tourney - Release of Captain America
    22/10/2013 - Avengers PvP
    24/10/2013 - Race for Iso8 - Moonstone
    29/10/2013 - Avengers PvP
    31/10/2013 - Sale 20% bonus
    05/11/2013 - Free for All Versus Tournament
    06/11/2013 - Lightning Rounds
    09/11/2013 - Iron Man Versus Week-end
    14/11/2013 - Lightning Rounds
    15/11/2013 - Heroic Mode Chp 2
    16/11/2013 - OBW Week End
    19/11/2013 - Update, New Look
    19/11/2013 - 3* Characters Tournament
    21/11/2013 - Lightning Rounds
    23/11/2013 - One Star Tourney
    23/11/2013 - Avengers PvP
    05/12/2013 - MPQ Available on Steam
    05/12/2013 - The Hunt
    07/12/2013 - Thor PvP Week-end
    10/12/2013 - Avengers PvP
    14/12/2013 - Dr Doom Week-End
    16/12/2013 - No Holds Barred - Free for All
    20/12/2013 - The Hulk Mini-Episode - Hulk Release
    20/12/2013 - 3* Characters Tournament - Punisher Release
    24/12/2013 - Avengers PvP
    25/12/2013 - Lightning Rounds
    28/12/2013 - Ladies Characters Tournament
    31/12/2013 - Black Widow Tournament
  • arktos1971 wrote:
    So, in 1 year of existence, MPQ has released 50 characters. Nearly one a week (average).

Almost half the characters were there at launch, so it's closer to one every two weeks since then. That being said, they've sped up, in the last few months, ever since they started the "every other pve" approach.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options
    arktos1971 wrote:
    [...]

21/11/2013 - Lightning Rounds
    23/11/2013 - One Star Tourney
    23/11/2013 - Avengers PvP
    05/12/2013 - MPQ Available on Steam
    05/12/2013 - The Hunt
    07/12/2013 - Thor PvP Week-end
    10/12/2013 - Avengers PvP
    14/12/2013 - Dr Doom Week-End
    16/12/2013 - No Holds Barred - Free for All
    20/12/2013 - The Hulk Mini-Episode - Hulk Release
    20/12/2013 - 3* Characters Tournament - Punisher Release
    24/12/2013 - Avengers PvP
    25/12/2013 - Lightning Rounds
    28/12/2013 - Ladies Characters Tournament
    31/12/2013 - Black Widow Tournament

I installed the game near the end of November. I'm due day 303 reward this evening, and I don't think I've missed it after the first week of play (incubation period). And I remember playing with solo Moonstone in a Dark Avengers only PvP before Ladies only PvP where I had a decent covered mStorm/oBW/Moonstone team. Is it possible one of the Avengers PvP you listed (10.XII, 24.XII) is actually DA? I'd bet on the 10.XII, but it was long ago... icon_e_smile.gif
  • Unfortunately, there was no further information about these Avengers events... The picture used was always the same...

Will work on 1st term of 2014 soon.
  • I've been playing this since it was maybe about a week old, and the first new character I can remember is Captain America. However, I do remember an event a while back where only characters introduced post-launch were usable, and **Hawkeye was one of them. Not sure why this was. Was he a late addition, or was this a mistake?
  • Hey, hey, hey ... when are we going to see that release date for the Winter Soldier? Just sayin' ...
  • some release date from the wiki if it helps
    Patch - January 15 2014 (accidentally given before that date as a daily reward)
    Hulk - December 20 2013
    Punisher - December 6 2013
    IW - November 28 2013
    OBW November 18 2013
  • some release date from the wiki if it helps
    Patch - January 15 2014 (accidentally given before that date as a daily reward)
    Hulk - December 20 2013
    Punisher - December 6 2013
    IW - November 28 2013
    OBW November 18 2013
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've been playing this since it was maybe about a week old, and the first new character I can remember is Captain America. However, I do remember an event a while back where only characters introduced post-launch were usable, and **Hawkeye was one of them. Not sure why this was. Was he a late addition, or was this a mistake?

Yeah, I started playing around the same time and I remember Cap being the first new character post-launch.
    I did a few quick searches on the Announcement board and found a few interesting tidbits:

The Reinforcements PvP ran on 11/24. Buffed characters included OBW, Cap, IM40, Moonstone, and Hawkeye.
    However, M.Hawkeye was offered in the Avengers Only PvP Comic Pack. This ran on 10/10. Since MPQ's launch date is 10/03, this means that M.Hawkeye was introduced within the first week.
    The Patch Notes for 10/18 read:
    Take your best common characters into the training room to battle to win the next brand new character earlier than otherwise available, Captain America!

Guess he really wasn't the first. icon_e_confused.gif
  • Updated with Devil Dino.

The Anniversary week will be quite busy, so I'll update the thread next week icon_e_smile.gif
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just a though, but it'd be cool if the OPs started adding the cover art for the characters to the posts. There are several sites that have high quality images of comic covers that could be used. If the dimensions are too big, upload them to imgr and resize them.
  • Yeah, that could be a nice one. I vote in favor!
  • Just a though, but it'd be cool if the OPs started adding the cover art for the characters to the posts. There are several sites that have high quality images of comic covers that could be used. If the dimensions are too big, upload them to imgr and resize them.
    Even if no art can be found, PC users can provide good quality screenies I think.