Character Discussion Meta-Banter (Quick Links Index)

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Original Black Widow came with Patch I believe.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Kuchiri wrote:
    Original Black Widow came with Patch I believe.
    Wrong. She was one of the original characters, she was just buffed alongside Patch in Thick as Thieves.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Original widow wasn't an original character. She was actually released without her black power and most people were able to have her at 5/5 before the black power was released for her.

There was a tournament early on that featured the 5 new characters that were added after the original cast. I don't think I remember but I want to say Captain America, Moonstone, Grey Widow (?), Modern Hawkeye, and I don't remember the other.

Iron Man 40, Invisible Woman, OBW, Punisher, and Hulk rounded out the 2013 additions in no particular order.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Regalis wrote:
    Original widow wasn't an original character. She was actually released without her black power and most people were able to have her at 5/5 before the black power was released for her.

There was a tournament early on that featured the 5 new characters that were added after the original cast. I don't think I remember but I want to say Captain America, Moonstone, Grey Widow (?), Modern Hawkeye, and I don't remember the other.

Iron Man 40, Invisible Woman, OBW, Punisher, and Hulk rounded out the 2013 additions in no particular order.
    For me, any character from 2013 (before Launch edition) counts as original *shrug*
  • Unknown
    Options
    I love how I missed Patch by a week or so. I'm not sure if it would have mattered though because I didn't do PvE when I started. I spent the first few weeks on the prologue.
  • Unknown
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I put a "Best build" poll on Captain Marvel when I set up her page; Deadpool got one since then. No one else has. Personally, I find them useful, and I suspect some of the newer players especially could use them to help guide their builds - and since the advent of respec, they can always change it if they decide they like something better later.

Is there a desire to put these on the other character pages? I'd like them; I came up with the idea when I was trying to figure out how to build some of the less-seen characters. If so, can people who create(d) character pages add them? Or could mods/devs?

Edited to add final poll results.

Item - Votes - % of Total Votes
    I find them useful - 21 - 81%
    I don't use them, but I can see how they'd help other people - 4 - 15%
    I don't see the point - 0 - No votes
    I hate them and wish vengeance on anyone who would create them - 0 - No votes
    Other (please explain in comments) - 1 - 4%
  • It'd be nice if it was the SAME person putting up the character discussion threads for each character. I've noticed when it's random people doing it, we miss things like build polls and things like that. Seems like people just want to be the first person to put one up, but then they aren't done or maintained properly.

Similar thoughts on the tournament/events page. If one single person would be doing it, it would be so much more consistent. Just my 2 cents.
  • FaerieMyst
    FaerieMyst Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I play MPQ literally side by side with my husband. We often discuss character builds and why we make the choices we do. Sometimes we agree. Sometimes we don't. We have very different playing styles and it is good getting different perspectives.

That is not what usually happens on these boards. Rather than discussions, there are pronouncements. This character is good. That character sucks. These pronouncements don't take into account differences in playing styles and roster depth.

While the polls are interesting, I think it would be more useful to have some sort of discussion about the differences in the various builds.
  • xKOBALTx
    xKOBALTx Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I don't really use them, but I can see their usefulness for anybody that doesn't want to put a lot of thought or study into their decision. I prefer reading through the actual back-and-forth discussions on the character threads, chatting builds within my alliance or using putting actual character use experience to work. I'll use any insight I get from those in building what I think best suits me.

I was reading through Mohawk Storm's thread a few days ago and we were discussing her builds within our alliance as well. All sorts of possibilities with not a lot of consensus, but it helped me decide how I plan to build her out to best work the way I would like.
  • I have already agreed with you on exactly this subject in another post but like to reiterate my opinion again as this helps the newer players who will eventually replace the vets. Of course different play styles need differing builds but these polls and Polarity's Guide are needed because it's a quick reference guide to builds that are proven true in combat. Now as characters are nerfed(Spider-Man/Daken) or completely changed(Classic Magneto) then of course we can always open polls back up to allow the community to decide the "most" effective builds and new players can choose for themselves when they collect enough covers. Thanks Grimm for making this a topic so that the community can be aware that polls should be made when creating character posts.
  • Unknown
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It's been a long time since I wanted to compile a list of the characters released with the released dates.

Going through the forum, I found these so far, but will work further to find any character missing.

If you have more information, please post, so the list is as accurate as possible.

The release date is the day when the last cover was given (ie Nick Fury) - Sorry the days are written the European way (for once !).

Thanks !

Gamora 04/12/2014
    Lady Thor 01/12/2014
    Rocket & Groot 25/11/2014
    Mystique 09/11/2014
    Blade 28/10/2014
    Ms Marvel 24/10/2014
    Devil Dino 10/10/2014
    Dr Octopus 31/09/2014
    Colossus 15/09/2014
    Beast 01/09/2014
    Deadpool 03/08/2014
    Captain Marvel 24/07/2014
    Nick Fury 13/07/2014
    Human Torch 2* 11/07/2014
    She-Hulk 25/06/2014
    Mohawk Storm 11/06/2014
    Sentry 28/05/2014
    Daken 14/05/2014
    Falcon 27/04/2014
    Human Torch 07/04/2014
    LCap 30/03/2014

Psylocke 20/02/2014

Ares 19/01/2014
    IM40

Patch - mid January
    Hulk - End December 2013
    Punisher - mid December 2013
    Invisible Woman - end of November 2013
    Original Black Window - mid November 2013
    Moonstone - early November 2013
    IM35 - end of October 2013
    Captain America - October 2013

Original characters upon release (22) :

Common (7):
    Iron Man
    Storm (Modern)
    Black Widow (Modern)
    Hawkeye (Classic)
    Juggernaut
    Venom
    Yelena Belova

Uncommon (8):
    Thor
    Storm (Classic)
    Wolverine (Astonishing X-Men)
    Magneto (Marvel NOW!)
    Spider Man (Bag Man)
    Bullseye
    Daken
    Hawkeye (Modern)

Rare (7):
    Loki
    Black Widow (Grey Suit)
    Doctor Doom (Classic)
    Spider Man (Classic)
    Ragnarok
    The Hood
    Magneto (Classic)
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dunno how this is supposed to work, but wasn't 3* Storm introduced around about the end of April? That's one of the first that was new when I was starting out on this MPQ journey.
  • Spencer75
    Options
    IM40 was released before I started playing the game, no later than November 2013

Also fury was released before she hulk, this I'm certain of.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    Moon Roach wrote:
    Dunno how this is supposed to work, but wasn't 3* Storm introduced around about the end of April? That's one of the first that was new when I was starting out on this MPQ journey.
    what what what? My records show Mohawk was first given out in TaT that ended June 11.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    Okay... a quick glance through my old records for [Just]:

LC - not later than March 30 (Simulator Basics)
    Sentry - May 28 (Prodigal Sun)
    Storm (Mohawk) - June 11 (Thick As Thieves)
    mini Torch - July 11 (The Simulator)
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    locked wrote:
    Moon Roach wrote:
    what what what? My records show Mohawk was first given out in TaT that ended June 11.

Yeah, my bad, I think you're right, okay, I know you're right, spreadsheets or other records never lie. I got my foreign trips confused, it was when I was in Kiribati, not Solomon Islands, or the other way round.

If you've got these tournaments / release dates recorded, why not let our friend arktos know the dates you have? And amazingly, just as I was submitting this, you have. Good show.
  • I've updated according to the recent posts.

I'll go through the Facebook page and see what I can gather from there.

For those who started Day 1, do you remember which characters were available then ?
  • over_clocked
    Options
    Don't take offense, Moon Roach icon_e_biggrin.gif I was refreshing my own memory as well.

The original characters (up to Patch & Ares) included:
    1*s - mBW, mStorm, IM 35, Venom, Juggernaut, Yelena, cHawkeye (7). This number hasn't changed.
    2*s - oBW, Bag-Man, mHawkeye, cStorm, MMN, Thor MN, A.Wolvie, Moonstone, Captain America (Modern), baby Daken, Ares (12).
    3*s - cMagneto, Patch, IM 40, Doom, Loki, Ragnarok, Hood, GSBW, Spider-Man, Hulk, Punisher. All Lightning Round characters (11).
    4*s - IW, X-Force (2).
    Total 32 characters.

Since then (not in order) we got Daredevil, Psylocke, Black Panther, Lazy Thor, Lazy Cap, Lazy Daken, Lazy Storm, Human Torch, Sentry, baby HT, Falcon, She-Hulk, Nick Fury, Deadpool, Captain Marvel, Beast, Colossus = 17 new characters, total 49, with Doc Ock/Miss Marvel being the potential 50th.
    I could look up dates for Daredevil/Psylocke/BP/LT in Events & Tournaments... but... lazy.
    I do seem to remember that Daredevil was awarded in the very first run of Thick and Thieves. Or was it Heroic Oscorp? One of those gave out Patch too.
    Psylocke was awarded in the very first Simulator Basics in February/March - 100%.
    BP was awarded in Iso-8 Brotherhood I believe.
    LT in the Hulk.
  • Ryz-aus
    Ryz-aus Posts: 386
    Options
    locked wrote:
    Don't take offense, Moon Roach icon_e_biggrin.gif I was refreshing my own memory as well.

The original characters (up to Patch & Ares) included:
    1*s - mBW, mStorm, IM 35, Venom, Juggernaut, Yelena, cHawkeye (7). This number hasn't changed.
    2*s - oBW, Bag-Man, mHawkeye, cStorm, MMN, Thor MN, A.Wolvie, Moonstone, Captain America (Modern), baby Daken, Ares (12).
    3*s - cMagneto, Patch, IM 40, Doom, Loki, Ragnarok, Hood, GSBW, Spider-Man, Hulk, Punisher. All Lightning Round characters (11).
    4*s - IW, X-Force (2).
    Total 32 characters.

Since then (not in order) we got Daredevil, Psylocke, Black Panther, Lazy Thor, Lazy Cap, Lazy Daken, Lazy Storm, Human Torch, Sentry, baby HT, Falcon, She-Hulk, Nick Fury, Deadpool, Captain Marvel, Beast, Colossus = 17 new characters, total 49, with Doc Ock/Miss Marvel being the potential 50th.
    I could look up dates for Daredevil/Psylocke/BP/LT in Events & Tournaments... but... lazy.
    I do seem to remember that Daredevil was awarded in the very first run of Thick and Thieves. Or was it Heroic Oscorp? One of those gave out Patch too.
    Psylocke was awarded in the very first Simulator Basics in February/March - 100%.
    BP was awarded in Iso-8 Brotherhood I believe.
    LT in the Hulk.

From what I can remember, OBW, Captain America, Moonstone, and Ares were not original. I think cap was a featured release in one of the first PVE tourneys, and moonstone may have been in the same one or very shortly afterwards. OBW was later, Ares later than that.

For 3* - patch, IM40, Hulk, and Punisher aren't original. I think IM40 was released first, followed by Punisher. Hulk was released around Christmas - I was visiting family in the US at the time. I think X-force is the only original 4*. it's hard to say for sure - I started right around the very beginning but didn't start PVP until I had mostly finished the prologue so may have missed some early character intros and I wasn't active on the forums so I don't have old posts to refer to.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    Ryz, I know that there were even fewer truly original characters. I wrote off everyone before DD as an original character for ease.