[PVE] scaling [Merged Thread]

Options

Comments

• TheRealJRad
    TheRealJRad Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    MojoWild wrote:
    Hey everyone,

I wanted to take a moment to explain what happened with the Gauntlet level scaling. There are a couple different things that you will see in this run of the gauntlet that are different from the previous runs of the event. The first is that you will see 5-Star characters. This is new because we were not able to have them scale below their minimum level (which you'd see if you were a new player). The next is that the levels are taking advantage of the new levels system that was introduced with the champion feature. When updating The Gauntlet for these features, the levels for players ended up being too high and thus too difficult.

We apologize for the unintended change to the difficulty to the Gauntlet. It was our intention to have the difficulty similar to previous runs and hope the update tomorrow will alleviate that frustration for a lot of players.

Will there be an official announcement stickied post, and/or an in game splash to let people know that have given up or are dropping ISO on boosts and hp on health packs?

Yea, I'd like to know when I can play again...just a rough ETA would suffice.
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    Options
    MojoWild wrote:
    Hey everyone,

I wanted to take a moment to explain what happened with the Gauntlet level scaling. There are a couple different things that you will see in this run of the gauntlet that are different from the previous runs of the event. The first is that you will see 5-Star characters. This is new because we were not able to have them scale below their minimum level (which you'd see if you were a new player). The next is that the levels are taking advantage of the new levels system that was introduced with the champion feature. When updating The Gauntlet for these features, the levels for players ended up being too high and thus too difficult.

We apologize for the unintended change to the difficulty to the Gauntlet. It was our intention to have the difficulty similar to previous runs and hope the update tomorrow will alleviate that frustration for a lot of players.

Will there be an official announcement stickied post, and/or an in game splash to let people know that have given up or are dropping ISO on boosts and hp on health packs?

Yea, I'd like to know when I can play again...just a rough ETA would suffice.

Daily patches usually drop around 5 PM Eastern or so.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So if I understood correctly, the scaling is fine in that we're supposed to fight opponents of this level but since levels scale exponentially that made the opponents too powerful? So my roster of zero usable four-stars is really supposed to meet lvl 400 opponents.

I also find it weird that no one in playtesting noticed that the scaling was utterly crazy. Don't they play through the event in playtesting? Do they play the first three nodes and call it good? How does it work in a way that managed to miss this?

Happy for the communication, though! Even if it leads me baffled it's still much appreciated.
  • Leadggb
    Leadggb Posts: 23
    Options
    Leadggb wrote:
    Hey everyone,

Thank you for the response.

Can you acknowledge the concerns from this thread about a fundamental issue with this game: As your roster gets better, everything scales up, but the rewards remain the same. In fact, you get put into a harder bracket, so you actually get worse rewards for upgrading your roster.

Is it intentional that you get punished for progressing your roster? If not, what are you doing to improve on this aspect of the game?

Apparently, the answer is, "No, we can not acknowledge this fundamental flaw in our game."

That's unfortunate.
  • PeeOne
    PeeOne Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So for those us us that don't speak fluent D3...

In layman's terms... Will the simulations still show the same Levels and just play easier???

Or will the levels on the nodes drop??
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So... we're not rolling back the scaling on The Gauntlet today? With 3 days and 13 hours left, I would have thought this was top priority.
  • PeeOne
    PeeOne Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It just updated!!!

For me sim 27 when I started it 3 minutes ago was 305 Hard...

Just tapped it again and now it's 227 normal
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Update went live.

I'll dig out my previous first sub comparisons tomorrow, but for a quick assessment...

Top Loki essential in sub 2 during the ball smashing scaling gauntlet was 360 for me.

New and improved?

Great job bringing down that scaling problem guys.
  • madsalad
    Options
    Yup, my Deadly Sim 39 with lvl 414 JG, HB and LThor is now merely Hard with 351 JG, 352 HB/LThor.

Like a breezy summer day...
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,274 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Patch is live (on Steam), sim 42 went from 418 to 352... I mean, that's still pretty high but more in line with previous runs of the event.

Don't forget that levels past a certain point (about 350) do impact a lot more overall power level.
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Confirmed, I just got an in-game pop-up about the lowered levels. My "Deadly" Sim35 went from L376 foes to "Normal" L319. Yay?
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    SIM 42 went from 451 DEADLY to 383 NORMAL

I cleared Global Domination before update, 1 whales used
  • John Wayne74
    John Wayne74 Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Options
    Thank you for listening and taking a corrective action.

That being said I start sub 2 now at 345 on node 15. This still negates the use of the majority of my roster. Given that you plan to keep trying to tweak your scaling issues in pve without even mentioning why this is even necessary or if it is mandated by some higher power leads me to my final hurrah. All I wanted was to be able to use my roster. Now that I have two 5*'s at level 435 you have shown me that the use of all 3*'s and the majority of my 4*'s is irrelevant. That is not the game I stsrted playing almost 2 years ago and is not the game for me. Thanks for the almost two years of fun though. I did have a blast until as of late. Good luck all. I'll be deleting my forum account now. If I figure out how lol!
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tried playing the new and improved Sim28 for the cp.

Down 6 health packs and sure the only way to beat it is with GSBW/ProfX, boosts, and luck.

If one team and one team only is the only way to beat a node, I'm out.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It is good that they have been reduced, but they still seem excessive for the amount of rewards the event gives out.
  • madsalad
    Options
    Once the scaling dropped about 60 levels I was able to get through the last 7 nodes with only using one health pack, and I didn't have any of the boosted 4* dudes. My opponents were in the 360 range for those last 7 nodes. I actually felt most of Sub 2 was harder due to Iron Man and Wolverine being used on liberally on the opponent teams and thusly locking out my OML and Hulkbuster.

I even went back and hit the final nodes on the subs in order to get the 1k and 2k iso.

Once the scaling was adjusted this felt like good ol' gauntlet. Challenging and fun but not crazy hard.
  • Azoth658
    Azoth658 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This Gauntlet is simply not fun. Even after the scaling adjustment my first node in the third sub (still locked) starts at 285.

I have a 3* roster with only X23 able to reach level 192 if I plough more ISO into her.

I don't have a chance of completing this unless I had millions of Whales available to me from deadpool.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    madsalad wrote:
    Once the scaling dropped about 60 levels I was able to get through the last 7 nodes with only using one health pack, and I didn't have any of the boosted 4* dudes. My opponents were in the 360 range for those last 7 nodes. I actually felt most of Sub 2 was harder due to Iron Man and Wolverine being used on liberally on the opponent teams and thusly locking out my OML and Hulkbuster.

I even went back and hit the final nodes on the subs in order to get the 1k and 2k iso.

Once the scaling was adjusted this felt like good ol' gauntlet. Challenging and fun but not crazy hard.

Challenging fun for your OML and HB, sounds like there's nothing wrong with that scaling then. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • madsalad
    Options
    Crowl wrote:
    madsalad wrote:

Challenging fun for your OML and HB, sounds like there's nothing wrong with that scaling then. icon_mrgreen.gif

I'm also guessing my scaling was adjusted to accommodate my lvl 360 OML. Loki 277, IMHB 275, 4hor 272. That's an average lvl of 296. My very last node was in the 370 range, so a 70 lvl difference (on average). I actually found that last node to be pretty easy w/o OML. IM40, 4hor and Jean Grey worked fine. Yes, 2 champed 4*s but no OML, no boosts, wasn't even close to needing a health pack.

I've also beaten the Guantlet for at least the last 4 or 5 iterations. The only one I didn't beat in the last couple of times it was run was the one that had Mr. F as a required (because I didn't have him at the time).

It's just between the last iteration of Gauntlet and this iteration that I finally champed some 4*s (XFW, IMHB, JG and now 4hor).

I stand by challenging and fun but not crazy hard. Not everyone will finish the gauntlet. Some folks will get scaled out, just like in Civil War. You are meant to get the rewards that you can fight up to. Sometimes you will get lucky boards, sometimes boosts will push you those couple of extra rounds.

I've always enjoyed the gauntlet, before my OML, before my 4*s.
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My top 5 are OML 360, 4Cyc 355, JG 281, HB 280, Thora 279. The average here is 311.

Previously I was stuck on Sim 30 (SW Shulk 3Cyc) at level 384. After the nerf, it's down to 325, still higher than my average - however, I was able to tear through everything with OML Thora/4Cyc IM40. I went from Sim 30 to completing the gauntlet in under 90 min with maybe 4-5 health packs used. My final node at Sim 42 was level 359, and still not too bad. For what it's worth, I still don't have a usable Angels team, so that has never been my easy way out.

Last run of Gauntlet, I needed 2 whales. This time, I needed 0. Either my roster has better synergy now, or something...