CW scaling goes boom

Comments

• Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Another classic Demiurge production
  • chaos01
    chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    This scaling issue is ridiculous. How can it be intended to jump from lvl 30 goons to lvl 200 in all hero wave nodes. Give your heads a shake. I guess we were lucky to get that second hulkbuster cover prior to getting a repulsor punch up the ....
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hi all,

I checked with the dev team regarding 'Civil War' event scaling and the official word is:

"The difficulty scaling is intended. We will look at how everyone does and adjust accordingly."

You know...I don't always like being proven right...

You guys really didn't learn from Galactus, huh? you know, when we said the minion nodes were too high level and the idea of making them as big a threat as the boss wasn't fun and perhaps making them a pest to swat aside while you fought the main threat was more thematic and, again, fun?

I'm just...baffled, really. Why? Why whack the small fights up to level 240+? Why? Seriously, I'd like to know. It's not fun and the points you earn from them haven't increased, so it's immensely unrewarding to beat them.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    it's always based on after 3rd refresh it's been like that since ultron first run. i remember one opening node with waves, the last one had a "super" Gorgon surprise, that wiped the floor with almost everyone.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    The jump is jarring and probably higher than it should be, but I'll take this:

40, 40, 40, 240

Over this:

40, 100, 140, 240
  • Bryan Lambert
    Bryan Lambert Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hi all,

I checked with the dev team regarding 'Civil War' event scaling and the official word is:

"The difficulty scaling is intended. We will look at how everyone does and adjust accordingly."

Any chance you could check with the team and find out WHY it was intended?

Just knowing that something the players find unpleasant was intentional doesn't really help. What would help is knowing the actual intent behind a timer-based 500% jump in essential node difficulty.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2016
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hi all,

Why? Seriously, could you please go back and ask them why this was intended? Why did they think a 200 level jump blindsiding us was a good idea? Why did they think an alliance clearing something yesterday and a different alliance clearing it today having wildly different difficult levels was a good design? I'm just trying to grock the thought process here.
  • xdogg
    xdogg Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Any chance you could check with the team and find out WHY it was intended?
    Real Simple, it would break their hearts to see too many people get 1 5* cover
  • Quick Fire
    Quick Fire Posts: 67 Match Maker
    STOPTHIS wrote:
    This was incredibly deflating.

I thought, I suppose more like I was hoping, that the devs were keeping the nodes trivial, because how strong a 5* boss is. I saw the jump and had hoped it was because of the round we were on and that maybe we could try the other team for fun, but no. I'm in a super casual alliance and it was cool seeing all the lower/newer players trying to make it work. Most couldn't, but they at least had a shot. Now, a bunch of them all completely out. 3.5 day event and the wind was taken out of their sails after 1 day. Not to mention it's punishing on anyone who wasn't there day 1. Work? Family? Real world fun? Too bad.

It's a real bummer.

This.

Although I play somewhere between casual and hardcore, my alliance is super casual which is fine. There's not usually a lot of chatter. But everyone was all in on this and discussing strategy. They were excited about where there were ranking in the alliance and their contribution to the event. Boom. Not anymore. Now it's back to just the three or four of us that have a decent roster. And those few of us aren't four star rosters. We won't clear round five now. It was fun while it lasted.
  • Esheris
    Esheris Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    If they brought in any new players for the new movie and the CW event...they just lost them.

I do wish it scaled off of roster, I want everyone in my Alliance to have fun, not our top 5 rosters.
  • an1979
    an1979 Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hi all,

So "you are supposed to lose" once again?
    Only 5* whales allowed?
    No fun permitted?

That's nice! Thanks. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • gamecat235
    gamecat235 Posts: 107 Tile Toppler
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hi all,

I'm going to echo the general sentiment, but spice it with a little bit of glass half full. The launch of this event was perfect. Perfect. Minimal server issues, scaling built into the boss, the essentials nodes were so neat as to make me wish I had screen capped them (nerfed OML!!!), it was in a nutshell a breather with streaks of 'Let's see if we can put our best team forward to beat Cap (in my case)". And the progression of the boss was expected.

But to go from trivial to Normal/Hard essentials nodes in one fell swoop, and suddenly only have enough health packs to manage a couple of runs at the boss (who I did manage to take down once so far in R7, after spending CP to cover falcon completely). Well, to put it mildly, it was jarring. I've now lost while playing the essentials nodes, and playing the team cap nodes (still round 1) on the other side, for the essentials I don't have? That's not something I'm looking forward to now.

The scaling took the wind out of my sails. And designed or no, I think that's a message worth passing along. But don't lose sight of the fact that day one of this event was universally appreciated by the players. That's a massive thing, and it still felt like a challenge, just not an insurmountable one.
  • xdogg
    xdogg Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    I guess we're doing too well because the difficulty just went up a little bit more
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, fighting 2 waves of level 200 opponents with my level 170 characters is great fun. Nice work on ruining another event.

How is it right that the nodes are harder than the boss fight?
  • Dragon_Nexus
    BTW, just wanted to add. The other day a developer said they were less keen to speak to the community due to a fear of backlash since the forum can turn hostile when bad news is given.

I'd like you to just sit back for a moment and reflect on that. Just...give it a bit of thought as to why, maybe, the community on this forum might react negatively to the choices you've made in this event.
  • zulux21
    zulux21 Posts: 249 Tile Toppler
    xdogg wrote:
    I guess we're doing too well because the difficulty just went up a little bit more
    yup, I was having fun with the event and thus buying the vault tokens and was about to spend 19.99 to get more HP to open up a roster slot and continue buying the daily vault tokens, but due to this jump I will likely skip that as clearly they don't want money for actually running a fun event, and only want money by beating us down to make us buy health packs.

Just want to say. It is alright to run easy events from time to time where players have fun. Everything doesn't have to be a huge grind where players have to devote 4-10 hours a day to compete. I am sure I am not alone where I am far more likely to give a game money when I am having fun with it rather than give it money to continue to compete. The howard event was still complete garbage, and I was hoping you guys were finally making up for it, but alas, you guys clearly still don't remotely get what your fanbase actually wants, and really it's a huge shame.

oh well, I've been playing for 2.5 years and will continue to play. I should just stop hoping you guys actually get it, because it seems like every time you seem to get something, you then fail hard to get two other things.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    BTW, just wanted to add. The other day a developer said they were less keen to speak to the community due to a fear of backlash since the forum can turn hostile when bad news is given.

I'd like you to just sit back for a moment and reflect on that. Just...give it a bit of thought as to why, maybe, the community on this forum might react negatively to the choices you've made in this event.
    There will always be negative voices, no matter what you do. If you've been on teh nets, you should know that and know what to ignore. The devs should know that the trick is to learn to tell constructive criticism and whining apart. There's a lot of good input to distill from the boards, if you care to take the time to look into it.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    DeNappa wrote:

There will always be negative voices, no matter what you do. If you've been on teh nets, you should know that and know what to ignore. The devs should know that the trick is to learn to tell constructive criticism and whining apart. There's a lot of good input to distill from the boards, if you care to take the time to look into it.

I made pretty much that exact point the other day, too. I completely agree.
    Absolutely you get posts that just vent and offer nothing constructive...but you also get a bunch of really helpful advice in there too. You can usually find those because their posts turn green ¬¬
  • Thevipper
    Thevipper Posts: 90
    Im trying really hard but top 3 star lvl 90(hulk kk colussus someone cant remember then bp and mystique at 86 and 85 respectivly top 2 star 126(thor blackwidow) boosted 3 star 153 dd and pun boosted 2 star 191 storm 17somthing hawkeye facing 120 something and now that its higher 134 i do have a 5 star but never had scailing like this its oml and just entered r6 so yea... Probaly wont get r7 lucky just to get r6 done and lucky just to pick up that blue switch cover let alone the purple...
  • Cioper
    Cioper Posts: 10
    Do this scaling work properly now anyway? Why not only on round 7 of Team Cap, but also on just round 2 Team Iron Man all enemies in my missions have 254 level???