Is it time for daily 4* in DDQ?

Comments

• rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    I keep having a lot of "If I had my way" moments when thinking about this game. One of those was 4* DDQ.

"How D3 SHOULD Implement the new 4* DDQ" (If you know of Whatculture on YouTube - you get the reference icon_e_biggrin.gif )

Okay, so I don't know if it's really the right way or not, but here's my idea: Keep the DDQ as it is, but add a second one for 4*s - complete with 5 nodes but with the following changes:
    • All iso8.png prizes doubled (tacos stay the same - so a total of 4 can be earned a day)
    • Nodes 1, 2 & 3 - enemy levels double
    • Node 3: 3* team instead of 2*,
    • Node 4: 4* required vs 3* and/or 4* enemies at level 120 - 130
    • Node 5: Always starts with 3 goons level 180, then each node after is random - if 3*, they are no higher than 166, if 4* they are no higher than 180, and yes, a 5* can appear, but only a level 255 1/1/1 version, and only 1 per node max.

So daily, just by playing DDQ, you could earn a guaranteed 3*, a guaranteed 4*, 4 taco tokens, and 11,100 iso.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    smkspy wrote:
    Then they'd have to increase 5 stars to 10 for all the people like me that sell them whenever drawn.

Nah, those could be something like 5k plus 5 or 10cp instead.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd say add a node or two that reward prizes similar to what you get in a 4* Champ -- a mix of 2500+ Iso, CPs, and Legendary Tokens.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    grunzadin wrote:
    If I was pulling 4*s any faster, I'd have them all covered within a month.

4 months ago, I had a single cover maxed 4* (XFW, mostly due to him being around forever). I now have 14 cover maxed 4*s and probably another half dozen that are 1-2 covers away.

If you invest the time, the 4* transition is accessible to anyone. Admittedly, it requires a lot of time and/or money, and I selfishly want it to stay that way. I want my 4*s to set me apart from the average MPQ player. That's half the fun of the game for me.

I can understand why casual players feel the 4*s are unfairly gated. But I don't think the casual players fully appreciate that the haves/have-nots status quo is desirable to a portion of the player base. Some players enjoy that scarcity and would stop playing if it disappeared.

I REALLY like this post. This addresses a very real concern. Would a daily 4* ruin the exclusionary nature of those who have put blood sweat and tears in the game?

I don't think it would.

First, there will be about 33 4*'s very soon. Each has 3 covers. Realistically, you need 12 covers at minimum. 12*33=396 days. That's over a year IF you already have the 4* cover. And the best part is, while others are getting 4*'s, YOU are championing yours getting more iso and HP than them! Meaning that you still have a massive advantage and exclusion over others.

Also in the time of one year, do you honestly think there won't be more 5*'s and 4*'s? In fact, by a years time, there will likely be very real transitions into the 5* game with flat cover rewards and the release of 6*s. This game never ends. No one will ever catch up to you. Its just letting the more casual players, and top players who are feeling burned out, a way to still enjoy the game and feel like they're making a little progress.
  • kirk justice
    kirk justice Posts: 60 Match Maker
    Unfortunately, I feel that the reality of the situation is that D3 thinks that progression is at a pace where a majority of players feel they are moving slowly, but they won't quit the game. Instead they might spend their money to speed up their progression slightly. I've been on these forums since November and ISO has always seemed like an issue on the forums, but D3 won't even address that there's a problem. The only way D3 will consider making changes to the flow of ISO and 4* covers is if a lot of players just stop playing. That's just how I see it though. Could be totally off base and they could be implementing fixes next week for all I know.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    Unfortunately, I feel that the reality of the situation is that D3 thinks that progression is at a pace where a majority of players feel they are moving slowly, but they won't quit the game. Instead they might spend their money to speed up their progression slightly. I've been on these forums since November and ISO has always seemed like an issue on the forums, but D3 won't even address that there's a problem. The only way D3 will consider making changes to the flow of ISO and 4* covers is if a lot of players just stop playing. That's just how I see it though. Could be totally off base and they could be implementing fixes next week for all I know.

Well Kirk, I'm one of those players that has stopped playing due to the amount of effort versus reward to obtain and level a 4*. I would come back if there was a 4* ddq, and go back to PvP as well.
  • kirk justice
    kirk justice Posts: 60 Match Maker
    wirius wrote:

Well Kirk, I'm one of those players that has stopped playing due to the amount of effort versus reward to obtain and level a 4*. I would come back if there was a 4* ddq, and go back to PvP as well.

I know that the current rate of progression has caused some, if not many, players to quit the game. I'm just saying I don't think enough players have quit to cause D3 to feel the changes would be a good business decision.
  • theo199
    theo199 Posts: 79
    Then what? Hellooo I$O-8 ...

Real problems in this game are:
    * PvE progression rewards (and not ladder rewards with fake noobs/randomly intermediates/true veterans & flipped slices + my life = 8h alarms: what's wrong with you people?)
    * RNGesus: we don't want a lottery game (do you? - not you guys with 13 OML covers)
    * Character Balance Revamps: Seriously, CHulk vs RHulk, both 4* ...

Is that too much out-of-the-box for the devs team?
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    wirius wrote:

I know that the current rate of progression has caused some, if not many, players to quit the game. I'm just saying I don't think enough players have quit to cause D3 to feel the changes would be a good business decision.

I think their change from "buy HP for covers" to "buy CP to have a chance for 5*'s" eliminated many of the mini-whales ($100/character) and either converted them to mega-whales or simply rely on more purchases from the mega-whales.

The reality is that D3 has to wake up and realize that the FTP community matters as "content" for the whales. If you lose your content, you lose your whales.

I've said many times it was possible to stay about 6 months behind the whales (seeming like you are "catching up", never quite doing so unless you spend) - but that is no longer a possibility. Without the progression transition no longer visually transparent, but the pay/transition seeming to be the only way to progress, it is no wonder that many of the FTP (Again - read this as "content" D3!) have stopped playing or will stop playing soon.

Covers (this thread) are certainly one reason why. ISO and RNG are two big more reasons, all -must- be addressed....and soon.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Orion wrote:
    I just updated my roster in my signature, so I can see just how many 4* covers I got in the last 11 days (since the last time I updated).

1 Carnage
    1 Cyclops
    1 Ghost Rider
    7 Howard the Duck
    2 Iceman
    2 Hulkbuster
    2 Jean Grey
    1 Kingpin
    1 Miles Spidey
    1 Star Lord
    4 Punisher MAX

That doesn't even cover the ones I received but had to sell because they were already cover maxed.

I think the flow of 4* covers is just fine. The problem, as always, is ISO. They need to find a way to feed the 4*/5* transitioners more ISO without flooding the lower levels players. A daily DDQ node with a 4* required character for 5k ISO would be an excellent addition.

Omg. You vets are CONTINUALLY sooooo out of touch with reality......
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why do vets always say they want more iso but it shouldn't be given to lower level players?

Its completely irrelevant to noobs anyway since they've nothing to spend it on. I say give it to everyone.
  • SnowcaTT
    Why do vets always say they want more iso but it shouldn't be given to lower level players?

Its completely irrelevant to noobs anyway since they've nothing to spend it on. I say give it to everyone.

I think everyone should get it - in proportion to how much they've spent (on leveling roster spots perhaps). Have they spent 30 million? Kick 3 million back. Have they spent 1 million? They'll still like 100,000.

One reasons vets might suggest give it to higher players is last time it was essentially given -only- to the lower players...through lowering leveling costs primarily at the lowest levels for 3* and 4*'s.
  • grunzadin
    grunzadin Posts: 52 Match Maker

Current DDQ format already discriminates against newbies by requiring a 3* for the fourth node. I haven't seen anyone complain about it being unfairly friendly to people with all the 3*s rostered.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    wirius wrote:
    stowaway wrote:
    wirius wrote:
    No, bringing in, "Just make 1300" is NOT a valid argument.

I've never scored higher than 1050 in PvP, only sore as high as 1K if I really want the cover, I've spent less than $2 a month on the game, and I have 6 championed 4* so far, with a 7th hanging out in my queue until I get enough iso. . . because iso is a far bigger problem than covers are.

This is not a post about lack of iso. This is an OP about 4* covers. You're bringing up barn issues when we're building a skyscraper.

Also, a person who only looks at themselves, then says, "Well I have this, its fine." is not a person focussed on the game as a whole. This is not about the people who already have great rosters, or have played for years, or the top 10% of people in the game. Its about bringing the 4* covers to a more casual level, perhaps expanding the cover base to the top 30% of the player base.

Why would that be bad? Why would that be good? Its not about you. Its about other players who aren't you.

PREACH!!!!!! I didn't know I'd get a video game sermon on a Sunday, but I am so happy that I did!
  • buffbeardo
    buffbeardo Posts: 154
    Imo YES!!!!! I'm on day 622 and, at this point, only play 20 minutes per day to complete the DDQ (because I do like this game at it's core). I use to play much more and I use to spend $ on this game but I haven't in a long time due to lack of progression in regards to the 4 star barrier. I know, I just have to play more and I would see more progression. However, there are other pastimes I enjoy and I am not willing to sacrifice everything else for MPQ. From my perspective, that seems to be what it takes.
  • buffbeardo
    buffbeardo Posts: 154
    TLCstormz wrote:
    Orion wrote:
    I just updated my roster in my signature, so I can see just how many 4* covers I got in the last 11 days (since the last time I updated).

1 Carnage
    1 Cyclops
    1 Ghost Rider
    7 Howard the Duck
    2 Iceman
    2 Hulkbuster
    2 Jean Grey
    1 Kingpin
    1 Miles Spidey
    1 Star Lord
    4 Punisher MAX

That doesn't even cover the ones I received but had to sell because they were already cover maxed.

I think the flow of 4* covers is just fine. The problem, as always, is ISO. They need to find a way to feed the 4*/5* transitioners more ISO without flooding the lower levels players. A daily DDQ node with a 4* required character for 5k ISO would be an excellent addition.

LOL! I absolutely can't relate to being frustrated by obtaining 23 4* in 11 days. However, I also can't relate to caviar not hitting the spot today. I guess we all have our problems.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I guess the point I was making is: why not flood all players with iso?
    The lower level players aren't going to suddenly catch up to vets because they've got tons of iso because during the 2* level you always have more iso than covers.

Saying they'll catch up to vets is like saying if I pay no tax and Bill gates pays 95% I will catch up to his bank balance pretty quick.

Vets and whales are light years ahead of noobs and it will always be that way no matter how much iso noobs get so just give it to everyone in all levels of play. By the time the noobs can spend it (during 3* transition) they'll have the issue of a lack of covers to slow them down again.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    TLCstormz wrote:
    Orion wrote:

1 Carnage
    1 Cyclops
    1 Ghost Rider
    7 Howard the Duck
    2 Iceman
    2 Hulkbuster
    2 Jean Grey
    1 Kingpin
    1 Miles Spidey
    1 Star Lord
    4 Punisher MAX

Couldn't agree more.

Here are the 4*/5* I've gotten in the last 11 days (including today):

1 Phoenix (20CP)
    1 Kingpin (Heroic 10-pack)
    1 Hulkbuster (daily reward)
    1 Starlord (championed Falcon, cover maxed, sold off)
    1 X-23 (20CP)
    1 Mr Fantastic (Captain Marvel PvP token)
    1 Quake (20CP)
    1 Drax (Deadpool PvE)
    1 Punmax (20CP)

9 compared to 23++. Cool. Those 80CP include the 25CP daily reward
    so, for those 9 covers, you'll eventually need 250K+ of iso. have you made over 250K iso in these last 11 days? if not, congrats, your covers are outpacing your iso and your iso deficit is growing every day. covers will not be what holds even you back. it will be iso.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Blahahah wrote:
    Two things...
    One: getting more covers doesn't solve the issue that there's not enough iso to level them.
    Two: getting more iso doesn't solve the problem that there aren't enough covers to make it worth it.

There are valid arguments from each camp. The ones without covers aren't affected by the iso shortage, the ones with covers are starved for iso.
    So the answer should be simple:

Each DDQ is a 5-day week. So...

Day 1: Cover
    Day 2: 7500 iso
    Day 3: Cover
    Day 4: 7500 iso
    Day 5: Cover

I think this is fantastic. My only change would be for say 5 to remain Titan. So, we'd have fixed cover, ISO, fixed cover, ISO, LT as rewards for a cycle.

It is very frustrating to see people bickering over covers vs ISO when they both clearly should be improved. Unfortunately, the devs are usually so stingy, they've conditioned us all to expect not to get anything good, and to think getting progress in two areas is a complete impossibility. Thus, we all end up fighting with each other about a particular area where we're stuck. It is misguided anger, born of progression being screwed up on multiple fronts.

I've said it before, and I think will become my new sig. The presence of two problems doesn't mean both cannot be fixed. Both can, and should, be fixed. Blahahah's rotation is a good example of that.
  • SnowcaTT
    Oh - hey - look at that, two more 4*'s, getting the game to 33. Really looking forward to both the 4* DDQ and the flood of ISO that D3 has planned to introduce with the Civil War event!

(always hopeful, or slightly mad?)