Is it time for daily 4* in DDQ?

SnowcaTT
SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Updated on top of page five: the re-run of DDQ with the number of 4* characters means you won't be using the character again (win or lose) for six months.

I've been tracking Deadpool's Daily Quest (DDQ) since the beginning (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=26817) - the first run had 33 3* characters before repeating.

Drax coming will mean there are 31 4* characters. By June, we'll have as many 4*'s in the game as we had 3*'s when they started rewarding 3* covers daily!

UPDATE: With Civil War 4*'s, there will be 33 4*'s....the same amount as 3*'s had when they started being given out daily.

I'm not saying it's time for everyone to get an LT a day (the current 4* one-on-one is probably fine) - but hopefully two extra DDQ nodes are already well in implementation phase - one where you have the 4* and play an easier entry match to unlock the final node, and the final node which rewards A SPECIFIC COLOR of that 4*. Other suggestions?

Hopefully the daily ISO out of these is also vastly increased to reflect the new world of the number of 4*'s approaching the number of 3*'s.

Speaking of which - at two 4*'s released every season (month), by October you'll see more 4*'s in the game than 3*'s. I'm sure someone (ahem) will be mentioning that the 4*'s should be everywhere in the game by then that the 3*'s already are (in heroics, at 800 in PVP progression and for alliance rewards, in PVE progression, and so on).

I hope D3 is planning ahead for the flood of characters they have introduced.

Edit: Kate Bishop 4* #34. Moon Knight 4* #35.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not sure about every day, but I've thought for a long time that the game was ready for every other day or two 4* days per 5-day ddq cycle. I'm not really sure they need to add covers. the more covers they add, the bigger the iso shortage will be felt. iso is what's needed.

now, a difficult, 4* required match (daily) that gives 5K iso - that would be a boon for the players.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    TxMoose wrote:
    I'm not sure about every day, but I've thought for a long time that the game was ready for every other day or two 4* days per 5-day ddq cycle. I'm not really sure they need to add covers. the more covers they add, the bigger the iso shortage will be felt. iso is what's needed.

now, a difficult, 4* required match (daily) that gives 5K iso - that would be a boon for the players.

While I agree that much more iso is needed I am also sure that plenty of people would disagree with you about the need for covers, they come much more readily once you have them, but when you are early in your 3-4* transition that really isn't the case since t10 in pve, 1k in pvp or the 4* ddq are not exactly reliable for that level of roster.

It would be good if they could do a new fight, have the required character being a choice of 1 of 4, that first fight wins a decent chunk of iso and then you have a second fight for your choice of cover from the required four as that way you are more likely for people to get more than iso for that cover.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    This won't happen until the 5* tier is well-established. Currently there's no way to get new 5* covers aside from RNG.

There are those who think that the tier system is now becoming unsustainable, though. I don't think the game could withstand adding another tier above 5*.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Absolutely. It is time for 4* nodes to be added to DDQ. And, I think replicating the 3* format is the way to go, with a "gate" node that requires the reward character. Whether that node has the reward or leads to a second doesn't matter to me.

The thing that does matter is that it shouldn't be 1 on 1. It is getting to the point where I feel like my roster is getting wider, but absolutely not getting any stronger. 2 covers for Cho, Ghost Rider, X23, Venom, 1 for Howard, Gwen, Punisher... All of these have led to this long and depressing span of week after week of unwinnable Titan matches. That was the genius of the original 3* DDQ. It required you to have the character, but it didn't require that the character was good enough to win alone. It made the correct assumption that you needed more covers. It opened a path to progression.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    For me, it wouldn't help. I need ISO, not covers. How many 13-cover level 70 4*s do I need?
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    For me, it wouldn't help. I need ISO, not covers. How many 13-cover level 70 4*s do I need?

I didn't want to make this to broad - but absolutely come October that will be my question. You can max a 3* in about 1-2 weeks, and there are 40 3*'s. When there are 40 4*'s, shouldn't it be a week (instead of the month (?) it currently takes) to level them.

All the covers in the world won't matter if you can't level your characters when you get them. But at least extra covers will allow you to choose which characters you want to level!
  • Crowl
    simonsez wrote:

Given that the existing 4* ddq is clearly geared towards more established 4* roster, it does make sense for any new one to actually help the 3-4* transition rather than give yet more help to the top end.

Obvious way for this to also help 4* rosters would be to significantly increase the iso sale value of 4* covers.
  • Chief270
    Chief270 Posts: 137
    simonsez wrote:
    Ah, but two more nodes would mean iso from the initial node(200 maybe) and another 1k for the 4* sale. That's 8.4 K more per week! 33.6(or more) a month!
  • Crowl
    Chief270 wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Ah, but two more nodes would mean iso from the initial node(200 maybe) and another 1k for the 4* sale. That's 8.4 K more per week! 33.6(or more) a month!

Your figures really demonstrate the issue, going by those, it should probably be 2k for the node and 5k for selling a 4* by this point.
  • Chief270
    Chief270 Posts: 137
    Crowl wrote:
    Chief270 wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

Your figures really demonstrate the issue, going by those, it should probably be 2k for the node and 5k for selling a 4* by this point.
    shh... Baby steps. Ask for too much at once, we'll get none of it.

With enough of these shaded attempts to get more ISO flow, and we might actually start heading in the correct direction come 2030. But don't tell the developers that. If they catch on, they will start having everything hand out 20 iso in backlash.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crowl wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:

While I agree that much more iso is needed I am also sure that plenty of people would disagree with you about the need for covers, they come much more readily once you have them, but when you are early in your 3-4* transition that really isn't the case since t10 in pve, 1k in pvp or the 4* ddq are not exactly reliable for that level of roster.

It would be good if they could do a new fight, have the required character being a choice of 1 of 4, that first fight wins a decent chunk of iso and then you have a second fight for your choice of cover from the required four as that way you are more likely for people to get more than iso for that cover.
    I can see where making 1K with 3s might be harder now than ever with the proliferation of 4s and 5s. but I think scoring at the top has never been higher (1894 was not enough for t50 in falcon), and I'm not sure how much of that trickles down to those striving to hit 1K.

I will say that if I had known how much of a slog leveling 4s would be, I would not have been in such a rush to get them covered. the night before the hp nerf hit I whaled ice and put several covers on cyke plus one on xpool and one on rulk. but at the time I was still leveling jeanbuster. they weren't even maxed yet. so cyke took 2 months to max (after jeanbuster were finiched and then ice). and then rulk was nearly 4 months (i think im40 and 4thor were in there somewhere) and xpool over 4 months. I don't really regret doing ice because he was at 6 covers and he's #1 on my personal character rankings, but cyke, xpool and rulk. buying those covers was just a complete waste because of the sheer time it takes to finish them. by the time i got to them, i had already sold the covers that would have filled the slot that i bought.

getting that first team is the critical part. mine was hb and jean, but pairing either hb or cyke with any of the jean/ice/rulk group (or even possibly x23) will make the 1K mark more trivial and make 1300 just a matter of committing the hopping hp to it. once you get that first pair, covers happen rapidly. then its the long tedious process of choosing which one to level next. i have 13 fully covered 4s yet to max with many more at 11-12 covers and i have no chance at maxing them until maybe the end of the year. that's 8 months away, if the game hasn't imploded by then. that's just for what i currently have covers for. how much more will i get in those 8 months that i'll need even more millions of iso for? up to the point of getting my 4s half to mostly covered, progress was exciting and fun. after that it becomes so much less fun. don't rush into stuff that won't be fun.
  • simonsez wrote:
    I'm in the same boat, but for the 4*s that I DO have champed, more covers for them would be really nice to have.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    I dont think that giving out covers is really what is needed. It might be nice, but iso is WAY more important. As Tx said, by the time you get the iso to champ even the first team 4*s you will likely have the covers. Maybe not in the order you wanted (I cant seem to pull IceIceBaby), but itll happen. I had 1.9million iso at the championing roll out....and Im crazy iso starved right now. (It would be worse if I actually had decent LT luck.....37 this week and all I got was a SS black.)
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:

I hope D3 is planning ahead for the flood of characters they have introduced.

D3 and forward planning are words that rarely go together.

I agree that there should be the same system for 4* as there is 3*, entry node where you need the required then a wave node you can use any team. You just know that if this were to ever happen it would be wave after wave of Ultron and Venom goons followed by Ultron and Galactus all at stupid levels.
  • thanos8587
    thanos8587 Posts: 653
    how about a daily battle for 2-3cp when the 5th day rotation isnt in place. 4 days four cp one day for token. that would be cool and add some extra fun to the game.

darnit i said fun again. theres no money in fun. icon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gif
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    I would start playing again. As it is, the 4* transition is too much work for too little reward.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just updated my roster in my signature, so I can see just how many 4* covers I got in the last 11 days (since the last time I updated).

1 Carnage
    1 Cyclops
    1 Ghost Rider
    7 Howard the Duck
    2 Iceman
    2 Hulkbuster
    2 Jean Grey
    1 Kingpin
    1 Miles Spidey
    1 Star Lord
    4 Punisher MAX

That doesn't even cover the ones I received but had to sell because they were already cover maxed.

I think the flow of 4* covers is just fine. The problem, as always, is ISO. They need to find a way to feed the 4*/5* transitioners more ISO without flooding the lower levels players. A daily DDQ node with a 4* required character for 5k ISO would be an excellent addition.
  • Razer51
    Razer51 Posts: 4
    Orion wrote:
    I just updated my roster in my signature, so I can see just how many 4* covers I got in the last 11 days (since the last time I updated).

1 Carnage
    1 Cyclops
    1 Ghost Rider
    7 Howard the Duck
    2 Iceman
    2 Hulkbuster
    2 Jean Grey
    1 Kingpin
    1 Miles Spidey
    1 Star Lord
    4 Punisher MAX

That doesn't even cover the ones I received but had to sell because they were already cover maxed.

I think the flow of 4* covers is just fine. The problem, as always, is ISO. They need to find a way to feed the 4*/5* transitioners more ISO without flooding the lower levels players. A daily DDQ node with a 4* required character for 5k ISO would be an excellent addition.

Your input is not really relevant, with a roster like yours of COURSE you have no issue getting 4*s. The issue is how difficult/long/boring/**** it is making the transition from 3 to 4...
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Razer51 wrote:
    Orion wrote:

1 Carnage
    1 Cyclops
    1 Ghost Rider
    7 Howard the Duck
    2 Iceman
    2 Hulkbuster
    2 Jean Grey
    1 Kingpin
    1 Miles Spidey
    1 Star Lord
    4 Punisher MAX

Your input is not really relevant, with a roster like yours of COURSE you have no issue getting 4*s. The issue is how difficult/long/boring/**** it is making the transition from 3 to 4...

Actually, it really is relevant. Look at it again. He has 6 championed 4*. Thats it. The rest seem to be either cover or iso constrained. Yeah, he has some pretty good 5* (that 4/4/4 OML is quite the monster) but he is definitely in the building 4* category given Rhulk/IceIceBaby/etc. That makes his point of view pertinent, and to me its a better view than those who are whining only about covers. By the time those people have the covers they will still be short ISO. Or, the better way to look is by the time they have the ISO, the covers will be there. And that takes us to the more important issue for the 3* to 4* transition: ISO.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    MarvelMan wrote:
    Razer51 wrote:
    Orion wrote:

1 Carnage
    1 Cyclops
    1 Ghost Rider
    7 Howard the Duck
    2 Iceman
    2 Hulkbuster
    2 Jean Grey
    1 Kingpin
    1 Miles Spidey
    1 Star Lord
    4 Punisher MAX

Actually, it really is relevant. Look at it again. He has 6 championed 4*. Thats it. The rest seem to be either cover or iso constrained. Yeah, he has some pretty good 5* (that 4/4/4 OML is quite the monster) but he is definitely in the building 4* category given Rhulk/IceIceBaby/etc. That makes his point of view pertinent, and to me its a better view than those who are whining only about covers. By the time those people have the covers they will still be short ISO. Or, the better way to look is by the time they have the ISO, the covers will be there. And that takes us to the more important issue for the 3* to 4* transition: ISO.

And yet again I'll point out something very simple: a fully covered 4* leveled to 160 takes little iso and can still be useful, especially when boosted and in their ddq. A 1/1/1 4* leveled to 350 (if that was possible) would still be completely useless.

The iso shortage is real, but don't belittle the struggle to gain 4* covers for those who are not placing 1-2 in every pvp AND pve event AND being in an alliance that spends a lot of money. 23+ covers in 11 days? Yeah, that's a totally reasonable rate that everyone is seeing and not just the experience of one person out of every 10,000.