The Hulk was my most favorite event, but....

Comments

• I'm stoked for this - but I swear if there are Punisher progression rewards again, I'm going to be eating a puppy out of frustration. I'm hoping for some Hulk rewards/progression, and not the auto-given green we'll be receiving (given those of us who did the first two, got top placement, and then the daily login reward, are now at 5 green).
  • Kamahl-FoK wrote:
    I'm stoked for this - but I swear if there are Punisher progression rewards again, I'm going to be eating a puppy out of frustration. I'm hoping for some Hulk rewards/progression, and not the auto-given green we'll be receiving (given those of us who did the first two, got top placement, and then the daily login reward, are now at 5 green).
    I seem to recall that the subs in the 2nd half of the event also gave out Hulk covers. Am I mis-remembering that?

I also seem to recall that one of the Hulk subs also had an IW-required node. I'll finally have a reason to use her again. Woohoo!
  • nobody1111 wrote:
    I mean, At the start it was low level, and then it started hover around the 100~ levels and then when I grinded to get top score in the sub event it jumped to 180-200~ only to reset back to 100~ at the start of the next sub event set.
    I'm not sure whether I should envy or hate you. Probably a bit of both. Lucky sod. icon_e_wink.gif

Problem is, nobody really knows the fine print in regards to scaling. Some people receive utter hell, others get off easy, no matter how often they place well. There have been reports that selling some of your spare heroes may drastically reduce your difficulty level, which might indicate that the total number of covers factors in a lot. At least that would explain why some players always get hit with the big stick, even though their heroes don't have that high a level. I don't really think automatic scaling is ever going to be a good approach, it's usually only popular among those players who manage to exploit the scaling algorithm, which sort of beats the purpose.
  • Riggy wrote:
    I seem to recall that the subs in the 2nd half of the event also gave out Hulk covers. Am I mis-remembering that?

I also seem to recall that one of the Hulk subs also had an IW-required node. I'll finally have a reason to use her again. Woohoo!

I believe you may be mistaking the Hulk PvE event with the Hulk PvP events - those had progression rewards, either red or black, but it was after the shield nerf (where shielded players can't be queued up post-shielding), so it was a struggle for many players to reach.
  • @Jeremychen

For your information, there is a distinct difference between a detailed criticism and a whine. You lack of a cognitive ability to discern that difference suggests the fault is on your end.

And funny thing. For someone who's from SG, I would expect you to be more used to such things. Most SGs would be indifferent to such things. Could you possibly be one of those fake pink IC holders? Or perhaps one of those spoilt over-privileged rich kid who's never been on a public transport your whole life?
  • Moghwyn wrote:
    nobody1111 wrote:
    I mean, At the start it was low level, and then it started hover around the 100~ levels and then when I grinded to get top score in the sub event it jumped to 180-200~ only to reset back to 100~ at the start of the next sub event set.
    I'm not sure whether I should envy or hate you. Probably a bit of both. Lucky sod. icon_e_wink.gif

Problem is, nobody really knows the fine print in regards to scaling. Some people receive utter hell, others get off easy, no matter how often they place well. There have been reports that selling some of your spare heroes may drastically reduce your difficulty level, which might indicate that the total number of covers factors in a lot. At least that would explain why some players always get hit with the big stick, even though their heroes don't have that high a level. I don't really think automatic scaling is ever going to be a good approach, it's usually only popular among those players who manage to exploit the scaling algorithm, which sort of beats the purpose.

Based on my personal experience (which may not be typical), it's probably not total covers. I've usually had fairly reasonable scaling (I think only once in the Brotherhood did I get completely hung up on a node, and I still managed top 50 or so just fighting the Psylocke and Punisher missions a couple times). Most of my nodes were reasonable, and I finished top 10. But I have every character but X-Force Wolverine, every 1* and 2* is at max covers, and my 3*s range from single cover to maxed covers, but I probably average about half the covers for 3*s. And ICE-IX has STRENUOUSLY denied that selling covers will help with the scaling (though it's possible - if people were selling their highest leveled characters, that that's why it worked for some people).

But - and I've said this before - my top leveled character is 75th, and I've been fighting raising anyone over that ever since the scaling started. It's gone from 2 75th level covers to 10, and it's getting to the point where I'll probably have to give in and raise everyone's levels (but slowly), but PVE has been generally doable for me. I've essentially chosen PVE over PVP (very willingly), and would do so again, but I could probably have a 141 Patch running around by this point if I was just allocating ISO differently.
  • If the Hulk event has scaling I would be incredibly happy.

The Hulk event was a ridiculous grind.
  • Anyway, I'll like to ask.

To those PVE missions prior to Thick as Thieves. Do any of you actually have a problem with the chosen levels? For the 2 Hunt Events, the 2 Hulk Events, Red ISO. All these events. Did any of you have a problem with the chosen levels?

I know I didn't. Some battles were at 240s. But even then, while they offered a good reward in points, they were optional, and certainly weren't carbon copied in every single battle.

My point is, it wasn't broken. At least to me. It was fine that way.

The devs suddenly decided to fix a system that wasn't broken. By adding a scaling system. The objective in that is probably trying to lower difficulties for newer players, while ensuring that it isn't too easy for experienced players. The first part, accomplished. The second part, over-done.

Something is clearly wrong when a Lv 100 player keeps facing walls of over 100 levels above him.

So many guys say, this is being tweaked, and will be tweaked even more. What I can say is, for 4 whole long missions, hasn't it ever occured to the devs that having every battle at 230 is not what we want? Shouldn't they take it out first, tweak it outside, make sure that it doesn't happen, before putting it back in?
  • Stop talking like you speak for the community. You've used "we" in every single post which reflects YOUR personal views.

I'm fine with the system as it was. The Simulator and Iso-8 Brotherhood were both fine. I didn't have to sit on my phone for hours a day maximizing rubberband to place first.

And this is coming from someone who finished top 10 in both Hulk events.
  • jozier wrote:
    My first three soldiers are level 230. This tournament is awesome!!! (It sucks - great job Devs).
  • As I recalled, wasn't the Hulk main unbracketed? 10k over players I recalled.
  • mechgouki wrote:
    jozier wrote:
    My first three soldiers are level 230. This tournament is awesome!!! (It sucks - great job Devs).
    ^this is something I never encountered in any event or sub event past TaT and I don't get how the scaling works properly for some and not for others
  • The problem is we all like to play different ways. I personally dont like walls of 230's. I'd rather grind a bit than have rubberbanding. I want to play the game, i dont want to hope i get into a weak bracket so that levels stay low. You just cant make everyone happy all the time. Im fine if there's scaling but at least make it so it scales on my level not on the fact that the bracket i joined is full of people who can complete every level easily making me have 230's i cant beat.
  • I thought it'd been a few days since a mechgouki moan thread, so I guess we were about due one.

I'm happy to moan as much as anyone when things are obviously wrong, but how about this radical idea - why don't you wait and see how it actually turns out before moaning? If the devs put scaling on the event and it's broken for you, moan away to your little hearts content. It may however, work out just fine and you're moaning for nothing.
  • The Ladder wrote:
    It would be nice to have some events free of scaling, more laid back events - ideally permanent stuff like the Prologue. Scaling has improved marginally over the last few events, but I'm not sure I'll ever truly enjoy fighting walls of 230s. Which is where it always ends up for me lol

I thunk one of the best suggestions I have seen is make the chapters/ pve event available for say .99 as a prologue download with progression rewards. You can play at your pace. I am ok with some scaling and yes you can consider me lazy. I took #1 in BP pve playing only 2 sets each time and hit just over 150k pts. I still probably played 3-4 hrs each day and thats good for me. I can't fathom 6 hr grinding sessions for 10 whole days.
  • DaveyPitch wrote:
    I thought it'd been a few days since a mechgouki moan thread, so I guess we were about due one.

I'm happy to moan as much as anyone when things are obviously wrong, but how about this radical idea - why don't you wait and see how it actually turns out before moaning? If the devs put scaling on the event and it's broken for you, moan away to your little hearts content. It may however, work out just fine and you're moaning for nothing.

You know what? You're actually right.

I created this thread, just to express how I liked the hulk event, and how I'm worried that this event will be murdered like all the others. And it somehow just turned into a bash thread again.....

But you're right. We should just stop and see how it works out first.
  • Dear Devs, if scaling is here to stay please use it for the Hulk event that starts today. The more tweaks you try and data you get the better for everyone.

If it's not here for good then do whatever you want icon_e_wink.gif
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    One man's meat is another man's poison
  • mechgouki wrote:
    You know what? You're actually right.

I created this thread, just to express how I liked the hulk event, and how I'm worried that this event will be murdered like all the others. And it somehow just turned into a bash thread again.....

But you're right. We should just stop and see how it works out first.

I do agree with you though, that scaling done badly (as TaT did) makes events really hard to take. I'd just rather give the devs a chance before jumping all over them. I like the idea of what they intend scaling to do, I just think it needs a lot of tweaking for it to be perfect. I'd rather they tweaked it on a re-run of an event we've seen before than them ruining a new event and making people miss out on new storylines.
  • Unknown
    edited March 2014
    Moghwyn wrote:
    gahudahu wrote:
    For sure the scaling is sub-optimal at the moment, give them time, i am sure they will fix it, it is in their own interest.
    Makes me curious, why do you think it's in their best interest to fix it? I suspect that the way it works right now is far more profitable for them.

I may be wrong, but to survive and be profitable, MPQ must cater to new player, and retain them, since *I think* most of the players will not put in any substantial amount of money in the game until they have a good handle of it (say one month for example, at least that was the case for me). Today's new players are going to improve their rosters over time, and ultimately face the same problem as we are facing now. So they may get upset with the game, and leave.

I think the current scaling system is good to lure new players in (good placement in tournament), but not to keep them (see mechgouki and others). So if they want to keep the revenue, they must satisfy seasoned player, and be attractive to new ones. They are not very far from it, this is a matter of parameters tweaking (less 230 for high rosters, and probably increase a bit the difficulty for low rosters).

Then again, i have no data to back that up, that's just my opinion.

Edit: On second thought, i think i understand your point better: yeah, maybe they are getting some cash for roster slots increase. But the game has the potential to retain people (i do not even dare to check at my steam time-counter icon_lol.gif ), that would be really short-sighted to "upset" a large part of their regular customers for quick money.