How will you remember Duck Season?

Comments

• Alkyoneus
    Alkyoneus Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Not playing it, won't remember it next week. Not bothering to read up on it, don't care to roster the character, will sell the free cover I get from his PVP next week for more ISO to level someone who deserves my ISO.

Devs whiff again. I wonder how much longer I'll actually play this game. Not really enjoying it at all anymore.
  • Keegan
    Keegan Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    Alkyoneus wrote:
    Not playing it, won't remember it next week. Not bothering to read up on it, don't care to roster the character, will sell the free cover I get from his PVP next week for more ISO to level someone who deserves my ISO.

That's fair.
    Devs whiff again.

That's not. If you didn't play, aren't reading the thoughts of others, and don't even know how the character performs, your uninformed opinion means nothing. Why should they listen to you?
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Finished the first sub last night.

So far it's definitely got the best and funniest writing we've seen in an event. Which is to be expected, I guess.

"Waugh!"

Oh, Howard.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Finished the first sub last night.

So far it's definitely got the best and funniest writing we've seen in an event. Which is to be expected, I guess.

"Waugh!"

Oh, Howard.

Oh, Howard, indeed.
  • BigRussian
    BigRussian Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    As one of the worst character introductions for MPQ.

My My my what a horrible fail.
  • Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Quite fondly! It's the 2nd time I made top 10 on a new character release, and I already pulled his cover from the vault with on of the placement tokens. And there's a new PvE, with funny writing. Imagine if they released new events as often as they do new characters!

As long as his ddq opponent doesn't have AoE that'll be an easy win, and I usually hit 1000 in pvp when I'm trying to, so I'll probably end Duck Season with 7 covers. Not bad for a new hero launch, as far as I'm concerned.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Hopefully I won't remember it as the time they tried to make us fight a lv270 opponent in DDQ4, with a character that most people had 1 cover for.

I brought that up pretty quick in the dev made thread.

Now...if they go ahead and do this and simply expect you to whale Howard up to max level in a week to beat the node for a single legendary token I don't think we can talk about developer/player disconnect any more.

"Disconnect" assumes we're striving to be on the same page. That happening not only suggests we're not even in the same book, we wouldn't even be in the same damn library.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    I'm just baffled by the preemptive rage over the upcoming DDQ. We've had two DDQs already with invisibility-based characters who could beat it with a single cover: A good puzzler (Invisible Woman) and a somewhat easier one (Prof. X). Both were tough but distinct for being solvable at very low coverage.

Howard's purple is also an invisibility power; in addition, it creates multiple tiles, so it's harder to get rid of, AND it does damage for each tile. In additional addition, this cover was the easiest to get (t100 and/or t100 alliance; dunno what color the PVE one will be). This will very likely be beatable with one cover, and possibly even easier than those previous examples. I don't claim everyone will have it - it IS a game - but I suspect a lot of forumites are the kind of players who will. So whyfor the fury?
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    I'm just baffled by the preemptive rage over the upcoming DDQ. We've had two DDQs already with invisibility-based characters who could beat it with a single cover: A good puzzler (Invisible Woman) and a somewhat easier one (Prof. X). Both were tough but distinct for being solvable at very low coverage.

Howard's purple is also an invisibility power; in addition, it creates multiple tiles, so it's harder to get rid of, AND it does damage for each tile. In additional addition, this cover was the easiest to get (t100 and/or t100 alliance; dunno what color the PVE one will be). This will very likely be beatable with one cover, and possibly even easier than those previous examples. I don't claim everyone will have it - it IS a game - but I suspect a lot of forumites are the kind of players who will. So whyfor the fury?

Because there's never been a DDQ for a character immediately after they were released? And it's kind of a **** move to anyone that isn't semi-dedicated and can get t100 in pve?

Just look at the last time the DDQ cycle reset, they reset it shortly after releasing some new 4*s, but they purposely didn't have them come up in DDQ yet to give people time and a fighting chance to earn some covers. No such buffer here, get to grinding!
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Hopefully I won't remember it as the time they tried to make us fight a lv270 opponent in DDQ4, with a character that most people had 1 cover for.

Can't wait for the results in that one. The lowest opponent they've run is 220 (vs. DD and vs. RHulk for some reason.) Even if you did fantastic - say you got two covers + one alliance cover + one cover at end of PVE....four covers. You did great!

And what, you can get to level 84? I guess you can go invisible and +100% match damage and then hope to get incredibly lucky. The "success" rate of that DDQ will be the lowest ever even if they go against 220.

I hope you go against a 144 bagman.
    DOn't forget that you can get the 1000 Point progression in Fowl Play Before the DDQ day is over.
  • Monged4life
    Monged4life Posts: 420
    As another barrel of disappointment I won't see because I quit a month ago! Never been happier

So by "quit" ...

So by quit I mean I've uninstalled the game and don't play it any more.

Doesn't mean I can't keep checking back here to see the choice I made was a good one.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    firethorne wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

Wouldn't the majority of people actually have zero?
    We're getting a freebie in the PvE
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm just baffled by the preemptive rage over the upcoming DDQ
    And I'm just baffled by people who can't tell the difference between rage and dread.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    And I'm just baffled by people who can't tell the difference between rage and dread.

I'm equally baffled that people forget this is the internet... where rage and dread dwell....
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I will remember it as a neat character with funny moves and great animations, funny scripts in the story, and my first top 14 placement (missed top 10 by 1500 points because on day 1 I did a non-optimal clear and lost points).

Enjoying it with my alliance, bummed there wasn't higher draw rate, and bummed not pulling him from the vault yet, my vault luck must have reset... maybe I'll get another good run in another 6 months.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    I'll remember duck season for the extreme complaining that began almost instantly. I'm sure the devs will too the next time someone at a meeting suggests that they put out more of these new pves and little mini events that people seem to ask for.

That said, I do like the Howard character and hope they reconsider the limited-time availability. That's the only problem I can see with the event so far, other than it not having been a wild and generous departure from the usual reward structure.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:

I'm also baffled by devices that are used to restrain the flow of a fluid, gas, or loose material or to prevent the spreading of sound or light in a particular direction, but that's not really important right now.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I will remember Duck season as a new and interesting way to release a new character. Encorporating him in a new PVE, and how insanely competitive his release was. I was top 10 for the punisher but was only top 50 for Howard. As for the DPDQ I also like the fact it will give out a Howard cover. Now I still need to see what character he will be facing and at what level.
    On the opportunity side the fact that Howard is a limited release makes me feel like he is a waste of HP with only a 2-3 cover Duck. He will be stuck receiving no ISO love as he will have almost no covers.
    Keep trying these types of releases this is what can make the game fun. New stories, decent communication is better than the same old releases or the play testing we have been doing.
  • rawfsu
    rawfsu Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    I'll remember it as the last PVE that premiered before quitting. Not that it was unique, but this time, I finally asked myself what's the point of adding another 4* that could take a year plus to cover? That's not to mention the ISO either, which is it's own battle. The new PVP changes have been frustrating enough, and this just added to it. The same pattern remains, which is getting a new character thrown at you, then struggling to actually fully cover and level that character. It's old. Howard was given the limelight, but then the same old treatment. A recycled PVE, miniscule drop rates, and a 4* DDQ only the whales can win. As a veteran player, just hitting two years, it's time for me to walk. Duck Season was just the same old story and finally put the nail in the coffin. I may check back in during Marvel movie premieres in hopes of new content and alliance events. Those are still fun for me. With no real "end game", no advantage to stronger rosters, no real motivation for new characters or PVP, no new prologue, unreachable rewards in PVP, what's the point? It's time to ride into the sunset. I'm unwilling to wait years and years or invest thousands of dollars in order to improve upon my 4* and 5* roster and actually enjoy them.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    rawfsu wrote:
    A recycled PVE, miniscule drop rates, and a 4* DDQ only the whales can win.

I wouldn't assume the last one until we see it - unless the opponent is a 270 with a good AoE it should still be doable. Heck, I think only Rulk would be awful - Iceman's is a bit too slow, and Jean would be truly obnoxious but still doable. If they go with a lower level opponent (which they have in the past, for Devil Dinosaur in particular,) it will probably be a challenge, but still very possible.
    rawfsu wrote:
    It's time to ride into the sunset. I'm unwilling to wait years and years or invest thousands of dollars in order to improve upon my 4* and 5* roster and actually enjoy them.

If you're determined to quit the game I wouldn't stop you, but speaking for myself I've rather casually spent somewhere around $150-200 over the course of 2 years and have a very solid 4* roster (11 max championed 4*s with a 12th coming before two weeks are out.) My 5* Roster sucks rocks, but that's because of random chance (4 cover OML - my 5* draw rate is about 6.5% at present,) and will probably turn around sooner or later. Howard will literally make no difference to the high end game - I definitely wouldn't quit over this.