How will you remember Duck Season?

Comments

• ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yet another missed opportunity.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,386 Chairperson of the Boards
    Esheris wrote:
    If Howard would have been announced as a typical 4* release I would have been happy to know I would eventually get him fully covered.

But he was announced as a special character with a special event, I think people (myself included) had higher expectations for this character release.

Devs, maybe don't hype up something if it's not worth it. But this whole event isn't over, hopefully you guys will surprise us.

wait till the civil war event and how poorly it will be ran
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    The problem is definitely (as often is) a poor management of expectations. Taken in a vaccuum, and compared against other 4* releases, Howard has a slightly more bountiful release scheme, not to mention there's a new event! People like those, right? But when you wrap it in a shiny package and sell it as something special with bells and whistles, people start expecting more. If it's a week-long event why there is not a week-long vault with increased flow of tokens like they did for that independence event? If it's a trophy, seldom seen character why not give elevated odds of getting him in tokens?

If they didn't raise people's expectations, it's likely that we'd be pretty happy now with our unexpected and shiny new event. But now they did, it's easy to find countless flaws with the whole thing.
  • Esheris
    Esheris Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    Just finished my first run through of the new "Webbed Wonder". Why is it another event with all the same characters we face in EVERY event? Was so hoping for a change of pace, oh well!
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Esheris wrote:
    Just finished my first run through of the new "Webbed Wonder". Why is it another event with all the same characters we face in EVERY event? Was so hoping for a change of pace, oh well!

But...it's those characters....ON VACATION! HA HA HA, WASN'T THAT HILARIOUS!

Yeah, Ares/Moonstone/Bullseye/Venom/Sentry yet again - horray.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    As an anagram. Nodes suck a...
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    "Oh boy! A new PvE event! I wonder who we'll get to fight this time? OH BOY! THE DARK AVENGERS!!"

How is Duck Season even a thing, btw? They've made a second Devil Dino and brought him out with exactly the same methods as every other 4* without the benefit of being able to earn him ever again.
    What differentiates Duck Season from any other 4* release other than an oh-so original PvE? I'm willing to be surprised when it comes to later sub events, and I'll grant the game this the writing made me laugh a few times, but overall this has been pretty...meaningless. Actually, worse than meaningless, it's depressing. It's like being sat in a room on your own on your birthday with a party hat on, no music, no cake, no presents...and your whistle blower doesn't even make a noise when you blow it.
  • I'll remember grinding the **** out of the Hunt to get the 25 CP which netted me stupid Mr. Bagtastic. The 2nd in a week! This drained all the wind out of my sails to play Webbed Wonder even remotely serious. Can't do that again so soon. It got me 3 Howards but had I known Rulk was gonna be the next prize I'd have focused on getting only 1 for essentials and I wouldn't be so burnt out. I badly need Rulk. I don't mind how Duck Season is set up however. Probably because I never read anything that led me to believe it would be some super special prize awarding extravaganza. In fact I don't see how it is any different than exactly what they said it'd be. Maybe they're saving that kinda thing for Civil War and will shower us with Winter Soldier covers. A guy can dream!
  • KingDon
    KingDon Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    As an opportunity to miss pve for a few days and concentrate on the 1k blueflag.pngicon_ironman.png reward from the storm pvp (which I got this morning to take HB to 5/5/2)
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Jam_Adams wrote:
    How will I remember it?

I WON'T remember it. seriously. nothing eventful happened, so it's totally forgettable.

basically, it looks like the same old PVE. plays like the same old PVE. must be the same old PVE.

I see what you did there.
  • Monged4life
    Monged4life Posts: 420
    As another barrel of disappointment I won't see because I quit a month ago! Never been happier
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    As another barrel of disappointment I won't see because I quit a month ago! Never been happier

So by "quit" ...
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    i joined late, placed 86th with minimal grinding (36k points)
    I only bothered because he will be an essential in the next pve and I try to snipe rulk covers - after that I sell him, my roster is already overcrowded with 1-cover 4*s.

and I see a realistic chance I have those covered in 2019, but howard? yeah...
  • Just another 4* release event where I put in way more effort than I ever get rewarded for.....

I had 8 hour clears on all subs, ground the first and last sub to 1, and the middle sub I was "only" able to grind for 2 hours. So somewhere between 14-16 hours of game play I imagine. Finished with almost 79k and a Top 50 finish. One cover. One.

I honestly think the simplest thing they could do to make PvE a more rewarding experience is to just simply swap progression and placement rewards for release events. If you get green check marks on every node for an entire event that should warrant 1 of each cover of a new character.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    [...]
    If you get green check marks on every node for an entire event that should warrant 1 of each cover of a new character.
    i really, really like that idea.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hopefully I won't remember it as the time they tried to make us fight a lv270 opponent in DDQ4, with a character that most people had 1 cover for.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Hopefully I won't remember it as the time they tried to make us fight a lv270 opponent in DDQ4, with a character that most people had 1 cover for.

Can't wait for the results in that one. The lowest opponent they've run is 220 (vs. DD and vs. RHulk for some reason.) Even if you did fantastic - say you got two covers + one alliance cover + one cover at end of PVE....four covers. You did great!

And what, you can get to level 84? I guess you can go invisible and +100% match damage and then hope to get incredibly lucky. The "success" rate of that DDQ will be the lowest ever even if they go against 220.

I hope you go against a 144 bagman.
  • SnowcaTT wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

Can't wait for the results in that one. The lowest opponent they've run is 220 (vs. DD and vs. RHulk for some reason.) Even if you did fantastic - say you got two covers + one alliance cover + one cover at end of PVE....four covers. You did great!

And what, you can get to level 84? I guess you can go invisible and +100% match damage and then hope to get incredibly lucky. The "success" rate of that DDQ will be the lowest ever even if they go against 220.

I hope you go against a 144 bagman.
    I mean, I agree. But at least the most common cover is purple which lets you go invisible. Historically ProfX and IW DDQ4s have had some of the highest success rates with several people completing having only the invisible cover.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Plus Howard's purple deals damage every turn, so it won't quite as slow a match as icon_professorx.png with only purple or icon_invisiblewoman.png with only yellow.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:

Wouldn't the majority of people actually have zero?