Fearless Defenders

Options

Comments

• PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Heh, I was sort of thinking the same thing - I started a few minutes after the tournament opened, worked my way up to 364, and haven't been attacked a single time. My team is mildly irritating but nothing intimidating (85 Thor, 85 Wolverine, 85 OBW), so I guess poor Loki's not getting any love.

On a side-note, have they made any mention of the 3-stars with only two powers getting an additional skill? It especially seems a crime that Dr. Doom (Dr. Doom, man!) doesn't have a third power.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've been attacked twice now. Actually dropped me down to #2.

I think there's been talk of adding a third power to some characters, but I don't know for sure if it's really on the dev's radar.
  • I got to 300 early this evening - a defensive win helped push me up there - and I haven't gotten attacked since. Since all I'm aiming for is top 45 (I only need blue for Loki; unfortunately I need five of them) and I'm like #17 now, I may not have to lift a finger the rest of the run of this tournament.
  • They did mention third skills coming out to some char with 2 skills now. I remember that bone was thrown out when Rag was nerged, and the devs mentioned that to balance it out, he was a candidate for a third skill, but think that is a while away ...
  • Yeah... its seriously quiet.

I'm in my normal hiding spot, just under 500, with 24 hours left to go. Nothing special there. However, I have a 65 point lead over second right now, which is highly unusual.

Personally, I think I've seen teams go by and hit 500 to throw in the tank team. 300 is 15th place in my bracket. Very odd.

What is oddest, at the moment, is that the person in third in my bracket shielded at 400. Head-scratching, but okay.... Clicked on that person's roster and saw that the person is running 141 IM40, Spidey and Hulk in this tourney. Someone want to explain what kind of abstract strategy is going on here? Seems like /facepalm territory to me. icon_eek.gif
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah I hit 500 and was first for ages, people have battled up in the last few hours and I ended up 5th but after 2 defensive victories I'm back in 2nd.
    I can only assume there will be flurry at the end.
    Although I won't complain that if I come back at the end of this weekend with 100hp and the final black loki I need.
    Would be even better if I somehow got a IW cover but that's probably asking a bit much.

... wait what? I'm first again. lol
    I haven't even played this in the last 20 hours.
  • entropic01 wrote:
    My tanking in these has had very mixed results. Usually go to about 150ish then put in the tank team. Sometimes I lose 100+ and sometimes I only get hit twice.

And sometimes the Ladder gets top 8 after putting in his tank team icon_e_surprised.gif
  • entropic01 wrote:
    My tanking in these has had very mixed results. Usually go to about 150ish then put in the tank team. Sometimes I lose 100+ and sometimes I only get hit twice.

And sometimes the Ladder gets top 8 after putting in his tank team icon_e_surprised.gif

I'm not surprised.

I think there is some form of a strange behavior forming, where if someone sees a tank team in play, that they actually tank against the tank team (intentionally retreat) to boost the rating and MMR of the person actually trying to tank.

I've "won" way too many matches in the last LR series using the loaner villain + level 6 Bullseye and MHawkeye. WAY too many to be a simple coincidence.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lyrian wrote:
    entropic01 wrote:

I'm not surprised.

I think there is some form of a strange behavior forming, where if someone sees a tank team in play, that they actually tank against the tank team (intentionally retreat) to boost the rating and MMR of the person actually trying to tank.

I've "won" way too many matches in the last LR series using the loaner villain + level 6 Bullseye and MHawkeye. WAY too many to be a simple coincidence.

I saw that a LOT during the latest LRs, too. A level 15 villain and a level 13 2* Wolvie and Daken should not be winning anything. Sour grapes from other people who don't want to see others lower their MMR?

I always happily destroy a tank team if I see one, gotta help a brother/sister out, right? icon_e_wink.gif
  • And sometimes the Ladder gets top 8 after putting in his tank team
    Someone tell the Ladder that three-star characters who're at level 140 don't count as a tank team. icon_e_wink.gif
  • Lyrian wrote:
    entropic01 wrote:

I'm not surprised.

I've seen this too. I'm guessing that the most likely scenario is somebody trying to put in their tank team, but actually losing the fight. Perfectly conceivable, I was down to a couple hundred health with one character left in such a scenario against FreeRangeCage the other day.
    Dayraven wrote:
    And sometimes the Ladder gets top 8 after putting in his tank team
    Someone tell the Ladder that three-star characters who're at level 140 don't count as a tank team. icon_e_wink.gif

Lol, I knew I was doing something wrong... icon_rolleyes.gif

I suppose my other theory would be that people are purely scared of my Lv6 Bagman and Lv1 Classic Hawkeye. The fear of losing to such a strong team is too great. icon_redface.gif
  • Aiming for a 45-75 finish, so I can finally finish my Ares. Been missing 2 covers for a while now. I think that'll be quite achievable without too much effort.
  • The Ladder wrote:
    I suppose my other theory would be that people are purely scared of my Lv6 Bagman and Lv1 Classic Hawkeye. The fear of losing to such a strong team is too great. icon_redface.gif
    Nah, it's the name. Seeing "TheLadder" automatically causes the skip finger to twitch, way before even looking at the team setup. Trust me. icon_e_wink.gif
  • My bracket's #1 sits at 684 while I am #5 with 500 so very low points considering in the previous tournament I had 920 to win first place. I was attacked 5 times since last night but won one for 25 points so I dropped only 50. It's hurting me a lot not being able to use Ares because Punisher and Wolverine 3* are only 85 level. It ends 7am for me and I have no desire to shield so I'll do a final push before going to sleep and hope I end up in top 15.
  • Moghwyn wrote:
    The Ladder wrote:
    Nah, it's the name. Seeing "TheLadder" automatically causes the skip finger to twitch, way before even looking at the team setup. Trust me. icon_e_wink.gif
    Agree, the name definitely has something to it.

My bracket looks like this:
    1. 750 shielded
    2. 705 shielded
    10. around 400.

Only one person in 3-10 is shielded.

Really odd tourney. I hope I'll get those 3 Loki covers, as my MMR is pretty easy currently (OBW, Thor, Wolvie**, occasional Hulk or Frank up to lvl100).

As for the tank team - I joined when the event started, climbed up to 150pts killing seed teams (love that *FREE* ISO), then put on the tank team. Lost around 40pts only, but MMR is much easier now.
  • So I decided to do some early morning ISO farming. Forgot what the event rewards were. Pushed up to 525 and seen I was in 3rd so was like may as well toss up a shield and have some breakfast. Remembered that Loki was the reward. Wishing I had saved my shield. Lol

Now I gotta decide to either crash and burn or make a run for the IW cover :S 525 in 3rd vs 715 in 1st. I'm fighting all 100+ hulk teams.
  • I'm just sort of hanging out in the low 300s pointwise, in about 18th place. I got attacked twice last night for a net gain of about 25 points. If I'm in danger of dropping below 45th tonight I'll do... something... I guess.

I think this week's tanking in the LRs might have put me in a fairly safe spot to just park, to be honest. All I want is my first purple Loki.
  • I just ground my way up to 10th at 502 points just because I wanted the HP. My roster still needs spots.

My Loki is 2/2; since I don't have a viable Patch (he's still 0/1/1), Loki is not exactly a priority. On the other hand, 100 HP is twice as good as 50 HP.

I have zero covers for Ares, because good rewards in other covers plus not enough roster spots meant I had to make painful choices a couple of times in the past. Still not sure I made the right call ditching those Ares covers before, but I should have room for him now.

All in all, I should probably go for top 75 for the Ares covers. My team is *definitely* not going to remain anywhere near the top 10 when those retaliations start coming in later today.
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    I think this week's tanking in the LRs might have put me in a fairly safe spot to just park, to be honest. All I want is my first purple Loki.

I did a fair amount of alternating tanking and trying for Diabolic tokens in the LRs (with reasonable success), but my MMR in this tournament seemed a good step higher than what I was seeing in the LRs. Like a bunch of other people have said, it's felt really thin of participants.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I got hit multiple times last night and I only dropped to 3rd, with 430 points. Top in my bracket is 548 (unshielded). Now I'm conflicted. I was going to aim for Ares covers, since I need 4 covers to finish him and only 2 to finish Loki, but now I'm wondering if I should make a run for first and that IW cover...
  • Ben Grimm wrote:

I did a fair amount of alternating tanking and trying for Diabolic tokens in the LRs (with reasonable success), but my MMR in this tournament seemed a good step higher than what I was seeing in the LRs. Like a bunch of other people have said, it's felt really thin of participants.[/quote]

I figured it out, and I tried in two LRs (a top 8 and a diabolical) and tanked in 8 of them, and that seemed to keep my mmr down. I've also found that going all-out in one tournament can bring it back up fairly quickly, but I've only fought a handful of matches in Fearless Defenders since then, so I think it's staying pretty low. The opponents they're matching me against include a lot of maxed-out 1*s and mid-level 2*s.