*** Iron Man (Model 40) ***

1101113151626

Comments

  • over_clockedover_clocked Posts: 3,961
    But you will be running IM 40 strictly in PvE only; in PvP maybe only for early pushing. You can have all sorts of interesting options in PvE, like right now (cStorm is buffed and does 2420 damage to enemy team on blue).
  • Yeah, all right, it's done. I see what you mean.
  • I put him as 3/5/5 just to make sure he can never use Recharge when I'm forced to use him in PvP. That way Sacrifice and Thunderstrike will have priority over the 14 AP Recharge. This isn't working out too well for the PvE event, naturally, but you basically lose Thor or Sentry's yellow if Recharge isn't maxed in a PvP event and that's quite crippling.
  • over_clockedover_clocked Posts: 3,961
    You shoulda built a second one for true utility, with 2 yellow. Considering getting one myself in place of Bullseye or Bag-Man and then getting rid of my 2/5/3 IM. That 3rd yellow isn't cool at all.
  • PhaserhawkPhaserhawk Age Unconfirmed Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    I put him as 3/5/5 just to make sure he can never use Recharge when I'm forced to use him in PvP. That way Sacrifice and Thunderstrike will have priority over the 14 AP Recharge. This isn't working out too well for the PvE event, naturally, but you basically lose Thor or Sentry's yellow if Recharge isn't maxed in a PvP event and that's quite crippling.

    With that logic it would be better to build him 5/3/5. At least you would make red useful and reduce the red AP drain and blue at 3 is enough to reduce the drain as well, and lets' face it, you are never going to cast blue. It's too bad yellow doesn't give you 3 green each tile, then you could at least use it, but you have made me rethink my IM40 Phantron. I should probably just level him since he's buffed every damn tournament.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    I put him as 3/5/5 just to make sure he can never use Recharge when I'm forced to use him in PvP. That way Sacrifice and Thunderstrike will have priority over the 14 AP Recharge. This isn't working out too well for the PvE event, naturally, but you basically lose Thor or Sentry's yellow if Recharge isn't maxed in a PvP event and that's quite crippling.

    With that logic it would be better to build him 5/3/5. At least you would make red useful and reduce the red AP drain and blue at 3 is enough to reduce the drain as well, and lets' face it, you are never going to cast blue. It's too bad yellow doesn't give you 3 green each tile, then you could at least use it, but you have made me rethink my IM40 Phantron. I should probably just level him since he's buffed every damn tournament.

    I'm fairly indifferent to the red and blue and blue was the cover I got first and haven't bothered putting the red back in. I guess 5/3/5 would be better because the blue is more useless compared to the red.

    You want to keep recharge low if you actually want to use him, but if you don't plan on using him then you want to have Recharge maxed to avoid it from being used in the presence of Thor/Sentry. In an event like Heavy Metal I'm not planning for my IM40 to do anything at all as long as Thor is around, so I definitely don't want him to fire off a Recharge on defense instead of Thunder Strike.
  • OnesOwnGriefOnesOwnGrief Age Unconfirmed Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quick question. Besides Thor's red, is there any other yellow generator available? I'm feeling there's a huge imbalance in AP generators.
  • Quick question. Besides Thor's red, is there any other yellow generator available? I'm feeling there's a huge imbalance in AP generators.

    Can't think of any other direct yellow generators. It's probably intended because bad things can happen if there's an ability that generated purple from green, or yellow from green, or blue from black, and the number of bad things that can happen goes up over time as more color generators are in the game.
  • Ryz-ausRyz-aus Age Unconfirmed Posts: 386
    I think 5/5/2 is fine. Not a fan of 5/5/3, so I will dump him once I get my second coppertop decently covered.
  • vudu3vudu3 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    It depends entirely on who you plan to pair him with--do you have a use for blue AP? If you're pairing him with Thor/Patch/Sentry/Punisher/Hulk that blue's not going to do you a whole lot of good. If you're pairing him with cMags or cStorm then you have a really good outlet for blue.

    IM40 is mostly a PVE character--he's all but useless in PVP. cStorm is buffed quite frequently in PVE and when buffed her Wind Storm can do close to 2,500 damage to all enemies. Even unbuffed it does 1,700 which isn't too shabby. cMags is obviously a great character and a little extra blue for him never hurts. Another good pairing is Lazy Daken because it gives you blue AP without needing to match blue tiles. Lazy Cap is another choice because like cStorm he's really good for PVE and you're never going to want to use Cap's yellow.
  • PhaserhawkPhaserhawk Age Unconfirmed Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    I put him as 3/5/5 just to make sure he can never use Recharge when I'm forced to use him in PvP. That way Sacrifice and Thunderstrike will have priority over the 14 AP Recharge. This isn't working out too well for the PvE event, naturally, but you basically lose Thor or Sentry's yellow if Recharge isn't maxed in a PvP event and that's quite crippling.

    With that logic it would be better to build him 5/3/5. At least you would make red useful and reduce the red AP drain and blue at 3 is enough to reduce the drain as well, and lets' face it, you are never going to cast blue. It's too bad yellow doesn't give you 3 green each tile, then you could at least use it, but you have made me rethink my IM40 Phantron. I should probably just level him since he's buffed every damn tournament.

    I'm fairly indifferent to the red and blue and blue was the cover I got first and haven't bothered putting the red back in. I guess 5/3/5 would be better because the blue is more useless compared to the red.

    You want to keep recharge low if you actually want to use him, but if you don't plan on using him then you want to have Recharge maxed to avoid it from being used in the presence of Thor/Sentry. In an event like Heavy Metal I'm not planning for my IM40 to do anything at all as long as Thor is around, so I definitely don't want him to fire off a Recharge on defense instead of Thunder Strike.

    What's funny, I was so pumped on the 5/4/4 build, but when playing I noticed I was getting Recharge to go off at 12, so I decided to respec back to 5/5/3 when I got a blue again, guess what, I still can't get yellow to go off any earlier, that 10 AP vs. 12AP is absolutely meaningless 90% of the time, I would get stuck in the Juggs Heroic at 9AP everysingle time..every single time, and when I did go off, man I could of used purple, I will 100% respec back to 5/4/4 once i get another yellow, and you have me seriously thinking about switching to 5/3/5, that way IM40 can tank without fear of casting anything, and since he's pretty much buffed in every event I might as well give him some ISO
  • so i have a 1/3/2 im40 and have another yellow cover but not sure if i should use it because i like recharge only costing 8, not like he will be a main part of my team or anything, just when i get forced to use him.

    thoughts?
  • Ryz-ausRyz-aus Age Unconfirmed Posts: 386
    Pjoe0211 wrote:
    so i have a 1/3/2 im40 and have another yellow cover but not sure if i should use it because i like recharge only costing 8, not like he will be a main part of my team or anything, just when i get forced to use him.

    thoughts?

    Don't use it. I have a 5/5/3 and am building a 5/5/2 to replace him. The green isn't worth extra cost, and having him soft capped doesn't matter much because he is situational use only.
  • john1620bjohn1620b Age Unconfirmed Posts: 367
    I agree with Ryz -- I wanted all my characters fully maxed, but I'm building a second 5/5/1 build because it's useful as a red generator. So I'd stick with 5/5/2 (or even build a 5/5/1, since I think that's much more useful for the low cost).
  • If I screwed up already and cant go back to 1 or 2 yellows what is the best deal ? 3 or 4 ?
  • over_clockedover_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Eh. Both 3 and 4 are hard to pull off. I ditched my old 2/5/3 IM 40 and already have a 2/2/2 that feeds blue and red like a charm, I almost love the useless character.
  • I have a 5/5/3 wonder if I ask customer service they would make it 5/5/2 ...
  • PhaserhawkPhaserhawk Age Unconfirmed Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think I agree with Phanton. Why **** him 5/5/2. You dont' even want to play yellow anyway. I'm thinking about Maxing his yellow so other yellows would be cast. Make him 5/3/5 and you can pair him with Thor and you'll still get Lightning Strike to cast over Recharge.

    You can then pair him with Thor, Spidey, Fury, etc. Anybody with a yellow under 14, and IM40 will tank for you, because that's all IM40 is good for. Unless they funbalance him you wil NEVER!!!! play with him, but if you go 5/3/5 or even 3/5/5 you actually make him playable by making him unplayable. Which is hilarious as if you try to make him playable he's less useful.
  • GrumpySmurf1002GrumpySmurf1002 Age Unconfirmed Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    AdrianoD wrote:
    If I screwed up already and cant go back to 1 or 2 yellows what is the best deal ? 3 or 4 ?

    3 and 4 are effectively the same (10 AP vs 12 AP), what matters at that point is who you're pairing him with. If you never need the purple with him, then 4 is pretty useless.
  • over_clockedover_clocked Posts: 3,961
    I understand the point, Phaser, but that would also require leveling IM 40 for the pile of HP and yes, never actually using any of his abilities. I can't afford to have a character specially made useless even if only one ability is actually useful; I'd rather have a fine offensive lvl 40 tool suited for PvE and early PvP climbing than a completely useless lvl 166 tank. A player only ever has to run IM 40 in PvP when he's their only viable tank; right now we have a Heavy Metal event and do you think I will give IM 40 a sliver of ISO? No! Maxed Sentry/Hood will do a much better job of scaring folks away.

    Does making your IM 40 5/5/2 count as gimping if you never intend to give him levels anyway? icon_e_biggrin.gif (Maybe only if I suddenly win 2 mln ISO in a lottery. Maaaaybe.)

    Edit: I might level IM 40 only for him to tank blue/yellow for cStorm when buffed, methinks. But why should I level him over Falcon, or *gasp* Psylocke?
Sign In or Register to comment.