PVE Scaling Testing - Enemy Of The State (03/17/16)

Options
1313233343537»

Comments

• fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My main issue with "smoothed out scaling" is, they smoothed from the top down instead of from the bottom up. Even from the middle out would've been a better preferred
  • TazFTW
    TazFTW Posts: 695 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Besides PVEs that I skipped completely, this event had the lowest amount of effort I put in. I don't know maybe the timer keeps me motivated but I pretty much just did one clear per sub. Only grinding that I did was to try to farm the CPs which got tiring when you're staring at 6/7 with the CP remaining on a GR essential and you have a 3 covered GR to bring to the fight. I pretty much used the same 3 characters (my anti-goon team) whenever possible which sucks as I like using my 2*s in the trivial nodes. Of course that could also be an EOTS problem with there being so many ninjas.
  • tizian2015
    tizian2015 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    Options
    JVReal wrote:
    I actually enjoyed this event. I was able to play stress free without worrying about not being able to do my clear first thing in the morning when the normal 8 hour timer hits (at the same time I start work). I could wait until break, and then play as many nodes as I can during lunch. No pressure.

The scaling for me was actually pretty decent. It could be scaled back a bit or keep a couple of the trivials to be actually trivial, but overall, for my roster I think the scaling was right where it should be for the tougher nodes.

I knew I wasn't going to have enough time to get the top progression the way it was increased, so that was a bummer, so that made it easier for me to be even more relaxed, though it removed a real purpose for playing other than to give you test results.

I did skip Hell's Kitchen completely.

I typically did a full clear, then ground for CP, then came back periodically as time allowed during the day or night.

The last sub was the only sub where I played every node until the timers kicked in. Even then personally the scaling topped off at level 288 for me, which seems about right. My highest characters are 1 level 250 4*, and 4 very scantily covered 5* at level 255 each. After that my roster is level 200 and lower.

I hit around 90K and was still in top 100 individual placement (74 i believe) but that may have been due to people not playing because of forum hype.

If you drop the scaling a bit lower, and figure out how to stop people from feeling the need to grind (most logical conclusion is remove placement rankings), then you have something here. The problem is, if you keep placement, then if you put any kind of timer on the refresh... people will somehow decide you are instructing them to be optimal and that you are "making" them grind. If you remove the timer and keep placement, then people will have nothing to "make" them rest from playing and you will have people who feel "required" to grind non-stop for top 10.

Personally I think this change is better for 99% of the population in principle, but needs some more tweaking. Since this forum seems to have a lot of the top 10 placement people in it, you will see a lot of the complaints that are very true to this group... insane playing schedule. Their complaints are valid, but only applicable to that Very Small Population.

I enjoyed this event. It helped that Enemy of the State is my favorite event, especially loving the survival nodes, no sarcasm... I really do enjoy them, even when they frustrate me. I enjoyed them properly scaled to me, despite no rewards... which did suck about it.

I was actually disappointed when I started Venom Bomb and after the first clear saw the 8 hour timer and knowing that I would not be able to play when I wanted without impacting my score. And I hate Venom Bomb, curse those symbiotes!

I bet, you had a good chance in the old system to play when you want (ignoring 8h-timer) and still get 90k progression points. And I dont understand your scaling, with 5 chars above lv 250 your scaling was topped at 288, not my experience and im a "bit lower" than you?
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    After finishing the event, I like the idea, but parts of it made it too time-consuming.

I like wave nodes, but they take a lot more time. For most players I'd guess EOTS clears take twice as much time as a normal event.

For me, not being able to use my OML also made it take longer.

The elimination of trivial nodes also made the lower nodes take more time than normal.

The end result is it would have taken much longer than normal to get the CP progression reward, so I didn't bother. I got top 10 in the first round because I had lots of time to play, and I finished top 100, but was nowhere close to the 25 CP.

I hope they implement most of the changes permanently, because I like the timer changes, but maybe the wave nodes should trigger the cooldown after 1 win, and Max progression numbers adjusted accordingly.
  • This new enemy of the state was way more enjoyable then the previous pve experiences although some minor adjustments would make it better for example better rewards for longer wave nodes.
  • frostCoH
    frostCoH Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Options
    Er... Apparently I posted this in the wrong thread ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ so here:
    • I redcrit.png LOVED redcrit.png seeing how the scaling works in real time
    • it would be more efficient to do this not after the match but the next time around,
    • show the level change on the screen where you select your boosts!
      Most importantly
    • Tone down the difficulty at the outset,the missions were absurdly hard to start with.

Other than that I loved it!
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Options
    I had to delete my two 5*s JUST to be able to do this test for them.

And even AFTER that extremely messed up conundrum, I freaking STILL didn't get anywhere close to max progression......

As Avril Levine once said, "why do you all have to make EVERYTHING so complicated"????? Aren't we supposed to have fun, in a leisurely activity?

Jeebuz.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tizian2015 wrote:

I bet, you had a good chance in the old system to play when you want (ignoring 8h-timer) and still get 90k progression points. And I dont understand your scaling, with 5 chars above lv 250 your scaling was topped at 288, not my experience and im a "bit lower" than you?
    I think that was the whole intent of the test. More than just the level was taken into consideration. My 5 characters above 250 were base level 5* with 1 cover. Their revised system took into account BOTH my single cover AND the level of the character (likely whether it was base level or not). The old system looked at my 1 cover 5* as a level 255 character no different that my lvl 250 Thoress with 12 covers, but even more so because it was 5 levels higher. The new system determined that my base level 255 with 1 cover was NOT the same and didn't penalize me for it.