**** Punisher (Max) ****

Comments

• generalTsobot
    generalTsobot Posts: 65 Match Maker
    Thanks for the feedback. Makes sense that he would thrive with strike tile makers. Unfortunately, my 5/1/5 X23 and 3/2/3 Nova aren't yet ready for prime-time (and it doesn't seem like any of the top tier 4*'s create strike tiles, other than Jean's random ones), which would leave me to pair him with my weak OML or 3* champs. I may wait on leveling him and just play with him in PVE to get a better feel and to see if I can find some synergy there (and more covers for Nova and X23).
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2016
    Thanks for the feedback. Makes sense that he would thrive with strike tile makers. Unfortunately, my 5/1/5 X23 and 3/2/3 Nova aren't yet ready for prime-time (and it doesn't seem like any of the top tier 4*'s create strike tiles, other than Jean's random ones), which would leave me to pair him with my weak OML or 3* champs. I may wait on leveling him and just play with him in PVE to get a better feel and to see if I can find some synergy there (and more covers for Nova and X23).

I think nova may actually be a top tier 4* when the dust settles. But it's moot for you tsobot, if you don't have a usable version of him.

I am even more theoretical than crookedknight as I have just 2 covers for punisher, but I think the key to his value is that his damage for black isn't capped, and many other characters make strike tiles at a relatively low cost. So in that respect he is like 4* thor: a team built to maximize that feature can do some serious single target damage. And unlike 4*thor, his aoe seems fairly useful.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:

I think nova may actually be a top tier 4* when the dust settles. But it's moot for you tsobot, if you don't have a usable version of him.

I am even more theoretical than crookedknight as I have just 2 covers for punisher, but I think the key to his value is that his damage for black isn't capped, and may other characters make strike tiles at a relatively low cost. So in that respect he is like 4* thor: a team built to maximize that feature can do some serious single target damage. And unlike 4*thor, his aoe seems fairly useful.
    I have a maxed Nova, and I'd say he's a tier 2 fourstar - he's very good, but not good enough to dethrone the current top 5.
    As for Punisher, mine is 3/5/2 and level 94, so he's far from ready from the big Leagues, but I have tried him out in trivial PvE nodes and was very pleased with the result. I want to level him up as soon as possible, though I have more immediate priorities for my ISO as well. I Think he can do very well fully covered though.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

I am even more theoretical than crookedknight as I have just 2 covers for punisher, but I think the key to his value is that his damage for black isn't capped, and may other characters make strike tiles at a relatively low cost. So in that respect he is like 4* thor: a team built to maximize that feature can do some serious single target damage. And unlike 4*thor, his aoe seems fairly useful.
    I have a maxed Nova, and I'd say he's a tier 2 fourstar - he's very good, but not good enough to dethrone the current top 5.
    As for Punisher, mine is 3/5/2 and level 94, so he's far from ready from the big Leagues, but I have tried him out in trivial PvE nodes and was very pleased with the result. I want to level him up as soon as possible, though I have more immediate priorities for my ISO as well. I Think he can do very well fully covered though.

My knowledge is also theoretical, mine is 4/3/1, but he is probably the best 4 since iceman came out. I have watched some videos of maxed/buffed Punisher and he was killing 5s like we eat candy. If you manage to kill one char before using the combo green+black you have basically won. He is also one of the best partners for the duo OML+Phoenix. You fire Phoenix red once (6 strike tiles on the board) and then green+black and the other team is probably dead already.

If he had self acceleration he would be the best 4 without doubts. As is, he is top5 (in my opinion he is probably better than Jean and Cyclops), and very good for the 4-5 transition. I think this is the only 4 I would pay CPs to get the final cover, etc.

In 4 land Nova is probably his best pal, and if you go 3/5/5 with x23 she can be also very good with him. In 5 land both OML and Phoenix.
  • Quebbster
    Polares wrote:
    In 4 land Nova is probably his best pal, and if you go 3/5/5 with x23 she can be also very good with him. In 5 land both OML and Phoenix.
    I'm looking at Rulk as a potential 4* partner too to accelerate green - their greens do similar base damage, but obviously Punisher's damage goes up when an enemy goes down. Could be Worth considering, though Nova is probably a better pick.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    I'm looking at Rulk as a potential 4* partner too to accelerate green - their greens do similar base damage, but obviously Punisher's damage goes up when an enemy goes down. Could be Worth considering, though Nova is probably a better pick.

Well anything that accelerates his green is worth considering, and I guess Rhulk red can also use Punisher strilke tiles to do more damage when each countdown goes off, so there is some synergy there. Maybe someone with both can test them together ...
  • Vhailorx
    edited May 2016
    Hmm, thanks for the nova update Quebbster. It seems to me that nova isn't someone to build a team around, but he is an awesome sidekick because he is cheap/fast and has can disable dangerous opponents.

But I just don't see nova + punisher as a top tier pvp combo unless the 3rd character can be a battery. Self-acceleration is still king in pvp (it's why Phoenix and im46 are strong 5*s even though their other abilities have problems). They should kick **** in pve though.

Edited because my autocorrect is apparently rather filthy.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx wrote:
    They should lick **** in pve though.

Trying to figure out if that's a good thing or a bad thing.... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    What's the consensus on his best build. I've seen arguments in this thread for all skills being at 3 (though personally I think 5 in green is just silly). I have a 5/3/5 that seems to be really nice to use with other strike tile makers and still preserves his big nuke. Any reason to think 5/5/3 is better.
  • Vhailorx
    edited June 2016
    What's the consensus on his best build. I've seen arguments in this thread for all skills being at 3 (though personally I think 5 in green is just silly). I have a 5/3/5 that seems to be really nice to use with other strike tile makers and still preserves his big nuke. Any reason to think 5/5/3 is better.

?? Can't see any way that his best build doesn't have 5 green. The negative effects are the same at 3 and 5 green, so why not maximize damage?

He isn't great at making strike tiles even with 5 blue, so i would think the way to play with him is 5/5/3 + a second character to make strikes (nova? Phoenix? OML?). And then the goal is to down one enemy, then chain green into black and crush the remaining two.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a question about his black ability. Does he make the strike tiles first then deal extra damage on the new tiles made or does he deal damage first on the strike tiles on the board then create the strike tiles.
  • Vhailorx
    wymtime wrote:
    I have a question about his black ability. Does he make the strike tiles first then deal extra damage on the new tiles made or does he deal damage first on the strike tiles on the board then create the strike tiles.

The description for army of one clearly says creates strikes "then" deal damage. So it seems like you get to use the new strike tiles when calculating the direct damage.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    wymtime wrote:

The description for army of one clearly says creates strikes "then" deal damage. So it seems like you get to use the new strike tiles when calculating the direct damage.
    That is what I read but since I have not really leveled him yet I didn't know for sure
    Thanks
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a question regarding his green.

If the base damage would down an enemy upon usage, would you get the bonus damage for that downed enemy applied right away to the other characters?

I really can't tell when using it, game is not displaying the damage very clearly.
  • Quebbster
    I see Maxie is boosted next week, might be a good time to level mine up. He's only 3/5/2, but on the other hand he should play quite well with Deadpool who is also boosted. I suppose OML rounds out the team nicely. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    So, I have the top 10 Maxed 4* already, I decided to pull the trigger on Punisher (pun intended)

This week there is no one good boosted, so it's a level playing field for the most part, and I must say Punisher is rather good. Not Top 5, but I'd say top 10.

I'm running him with OML during the DareDevil event.

1. Start the match by downing the weakest enemy with match damage, while collecting green and black, maybe I get an OML strike out (depending on the feature character, this week it's DD blue or purple)

... Once you have 1 enemy down, >7 black, and 10 green ...

2. Green deals 2625 + 3408 (for the downed enemy) = 6274 to EVERYONE, this leave the remaining 2 with a couple thousand HP

3. You probably have enough black by now for use it twice @ 5432 + 947/strike, 1 for each enemy remaining
    3a. OML is stunned, so he's not killing himself making strike tiles at-the-moment

4. Game over
  • Vhailorx
    I think his only weakness is that he doesn't self-accelerate or suppress the enemy. And there isn't really a great black + green battery.

That limits his speed and his upside. But uncapped damage for 7 ap that builds off strike tiles (which are the best kind of special tile anyway and can be generated for cheap by lots of characters)? Yes please!
  • generalTsobot
    generalTsobot Posts: 65 Match Maker
    PMax's damage dealing is plain silly. I got him champed in time for his previous boost week and his numbers looked like this (level 270 boosted to 350):

Green: Deals 4589 + 5960 for every downed enemy, AOE
    Black: Deals 8035 + 1340 per friendly strike

As Vhailorx said, he doesn't self-accelerate so he probably is outside of T5, but the eventual payout is fantastic. For PVE, IF and Daken have decent synergy since collecting green turns into strike tiles and purple can be turned into black. Nova might be a decent bet, too, but I don't have him leveled enough to be viable.

PMax is a lot of fun, but I'm still searching for an effective and fast team (my 212 OML isn't ready for PVP prime time).

I'm definitely looking forward to the PVE after the Hulk, where he should be boosted again.
  • huktonfonix
    huktonfonix Posts: 214 Tile Toppler
    With the influx of ISO today, Punisher will be my second champed 4*, after Cyclops. Is 5/5/3 the best build for him? Who does he pair well with for PVP? My usable characters are 4Clops, basically every 3* champed, and a 1/2/1 OML at 255.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    I only have PMax at 1/0/3, level 90, and he's still a ton of fun in the Big Enchilada. Just a little help from Bullseye and this level 90, power level 1 power (Punish), can one-shot opponents with 7k health... Fun stuff.