Options

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ejmus wrote:
    Akatosh wrote:
    ejmus wrote:
    don't forget the best part...finally beating her and pulling an extra Mr. Fantastic token for your work...

You think you got it bad? Try pulling an icon_hulkcho.pngblackflag.png after completing this monstrosity. Talk about a waste of time. Took me about 5 tries with my 5/2/4 Lvl 115 icon_starlord.png

Yeah, no worries. icon_e_wink.gif That's exactly what I pulled immediately afterwards cashing in my cp's...
    Can someone please explain to me how I "randomly" have 11 icon_hulkcho.png now and 5 iceman??

Same way I have pulled at least 9 star-lord purple and 0 star-lord yellow until last week (and still only 4 iceman and 6 JG). RNGesus sometimes decided to go all old-testament. . .
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I keep my SL at 5/3/5 since the -only- time I'll use him is this event (level 172).

Beat it easily 1st time...seemed much easier than last time with AI not using Team-up.
  • PeterGibbons316
    Options
    ejmus wrote:
    Akatosh wrote:
    ejmus wrote:
    don't forget the best part...finally beating her and pulling an extra Mr. Fantastic token for your work...

You think you got it bad? Try pulling an icon_hulkcho.pngblackflag.png after completing this monstrosity. Talk about a waste of time. Took me about 5 tries with my 5/2/4 Lvl 115 icon_starlord.png

Yeah, no worries. icon_e_wink.gif That's exactly what I pulled immediately afterwards cashing in my cp's...
    Can someone please explain to me how I "randomly" have 11 icon_hulkcho.png now and 5 iceman??
    Because that is how random works. Random implies uncertainty, chaos, unpredictable results. If you had exactly 8 of each that would be more deterministic than random.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    5/3/5 SL's have the advantage on this one.

Here's pretty much the only way to beat her. Boost B/P, All, Match dmg all.

Then you take any purple you can get and match all red's, blacks and greens, you only deny. Eventually you will get enough red and slowly purple, but do not chase any other colors, the only time you don't deny her colors is to grab purple
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I did a test run with my 4/2/3 guy at 100 and died within 6 turns. I was going to throw in the towel right there, but after seeing some of you guys managing to do it with similarly covered SLs, I might try it again.
  • SirLanik
    SirLanik Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My 1/2/1 lvl 94 Star Lord just isn't getting it done. I've gotten her about 50% of the way twice, but can't quite get enough of a lead to beat her. Maybe next time.
  • slowej25
    Options
    This is the worst crash battle! Emptied health packs and boosts trying to beat her with 5/4/3 level 120 Sucklord. Every board and cascade so far has been in her favor. I need to get off 2 purple to win before she gets off any 2 powers, and have not had the luck.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    slowej25 wrote:
    This is the worst crash battle! Emptied health packs and boosts trying to beat her with 5/4/3 level 120 Sucklord. Every board and cascade so far has been in her favor. I need to get off 2 purple to win before she gets off any 2 powers, and have not had the luck.

If you boost match damage via the all boost to the max, you can beat her with just one purple and 1 red, trust me. Deny, deny, deny, only deviate from denying to match purple and only if it's not going to mean her going off if she does match.
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I do not have high hopes for my 3/3/1 Star Lord
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The real problem with Star Lord in this matchup is that every single power involves a CD tile. So your incredibly vulnerable to board luck and cascades.

Consider this point.

purple requires 10 ap (3 to 4 turns to collect purple) + 2 turn wait
    red requires 8ap (2 to 3 turns to collect red) + 3 turn wait.

Son on avg, its at least 5 turns before any of your attacks resolve, and 1/2 the time, your CD tiles are at risk of being matched away.

My SL is 5/3/5 at 170 and it took me 3 tries to win. It wasn't hard at all, but incredibly frustrating to put out tiles and see them get matched away.

On my last match, I basically stockpiled colors and waited until the board was setup so that their were no viable red or purple matches.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think some people need to change their style. When the highest priority is denial, you're trying to make matches that REDUCE cascades, not cause them. You want as stuck a board as possible so you can limit the number of moves the AI can make. This lets you control both what color they match, and what possible matches can happen when new tiles drop.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    slowej25 wrote:

Flaptain waves and says "my crash might be worse. If you custom built a character to kick my **** if would be captain marvel at 5/5/5".

And scottee: playing for a locked board can also be risky. If you do too well, the board will reshuffle and the ai will get first pick at all the juicy match 4s/5s. So you have to play conservatively to avoid cascades, but also a void completely dead boards that will undo all your careful denial.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Got her 3rd try after I leveled up my 4/4/3 to 150 (from only 147 ha). Took him up to 150. Used 100% match damage, 50% R/Y and +2 R/Y. Had 740 health left at the end of the battle.

Got me a Red Elektra for my efforts. Could be worse.

Good luck out there.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:

And scottee: playing for a locked board can also be risky. If you do too well, the board will reshuffle and the ai will get first pick at all the juicy match 4s/5s. So you have to play conservatively to avoid cascades, but also a void completely dead boards that will undo all your careful denial.

If you read back through all the old threads, I consistently beat 4*DDQ battles with lower leveled characters than others. Take that for what you will.
  • DroidDoes
    DroidDoes Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Took a handful of tries with my lvl 150 5/4/3; couldn't get a purple-friendly board to save my life! Finally got her KO'd, and received a greenflag.pngicon_x23.png which I needed
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Took 4 tries, only AP boosts, level 166 5/2/2. I held red until it would stall her firing off a power or take her down. Phoenix purpleflag.png for my trouble.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    5/3/5 SL's have the advantage on this one.

Here's pretty much the only way to beat her. Boost B/P, All, Match dmg all.

Then you take any purple you can get and match all red's, blacks and greens, you only deny. Eventually you will get enough red and slowly purple, but do not chase any other colors, the only time you don't deny her colors is to grab purple

Thank you! I was going about this all wrong. Won 3rd try with my 135 5/0/1. Boosted +2 bp, +50% ry, +100% all. Deny, deny, deny, deny.

Worst starting board possible, had to be about 20 black on it. Almost quit out, but figured I'd see what happened. Got a couple lucky yellow/red cascade matches. She got 12 black with her final match, but I was able to take her down before she could fire it on the next turn. Wish I would have checked how much green & black I had before it ended, I had to be near 30 of each. She probably had about 30 each of blue and yellow too. icon_twisted.gif

Reward: icon_miles.pngyellowflag.png - Could be worse.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Options
    RNGesus has graced me with a surprising amount of Star-lord covers lately, and I beat this on 4th try with my Lv 188 4/4/5 S.L.

I wiped painfully the first few times while trying to strike an equal balance between chasing SL's colors and denying Gamora's.

On the 4th attempt, I tried something different which worked well - I prioritized collecting Gamora's colors whenever any of her 3 colors were available. As green/red/black disappeared, the odd purple/yellow 4-match or cascade would go to her (which would be unusuable, so, who cares) or me. Eventually I was able to cast SL's yellow, then red and two purples, and won after a few more turns of careful matching/denial.

I really think having SL's red @ 5 is crucial here.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Options
    SirLanik wrote:
    My 1/2/1 lvl 94 Star Lord just isn't getting it done. I've gotten her about 50% of the way twice, but can't quite get enough of a lead to beat her. Maybe next time.

Feel your pain there. My 1/3/1 isn't doing any better. I'm not wasting any more boosts on it. I now just run him out there when he heals up to watch her smash him down.

This will be the first match I've lost this go around which I'm fine with. I only won 3 through the entire first go around.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Who doesn't love a mad dash to collect 20 purple + 8-16 red before she can collect 10 red, or 12 green or 12 black (any of which can basically wreck you)?

No surprise that a support character like star-lord struggles, but it's funny how 1v1 turns Gamora into an absolute beast. It turns her black into what it always should have been: a game over button.

(7 tries with my 5/1/2 star-lord before I got a board with enough purple match-4s. Not sure how anyone can do it without red or purple maxed).

There are some tough ones, but I managed to win with my 3/5/5 lvl 202 on the second try (though I did boost r/y and all to save time/healthpacks).

At one point Gamora had enough to use Red and Black on her next turn and she had me down to 4,000 health, while she still had about 5,000. I was saved by getting one more yellow that I needed from a purple CD resolving into a match three yellow on my turn. This gave me enough AP to use Everyone With Me, which lowered the cost of my redflag.png , which increased the cost of Gamora's red and black, so she couldn't finish me off.

My red exploded and I won.