Strategies for Galactus

Tryke
Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
edited February 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
What are some of the combos you're going to use for Galactus? Heavy single target damage dealers? CD tile control? Deadpool/Punisher? Winfinite? AP steal?

Comments

• Berserk_Al
    Berserk_Al Posts: 411 Mover and Shaker
    No doubt Original Black Widow, to slow countdowns and steal AP, and Ghost Rider, to use all that stolen Black.
  • OBW is a must. Torch is good for quick damage also or the usual Iron Fist.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Patch/Hulk/Loki worked for me before. Get Berserker Rage out as quickly as possible then Hulkbomb to victory; Loki either steals AP or shakes up the board to try to combat Galactus's tiles.
  • if/xforce? both boosted? yes please.

add in 3mags and shake shake shake your board.

obv hulk for late rounds if it get tough.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm looking forward to using 3* Cyclops, Iron Fist and Scarlet Witch again. Worked very well before, and this time Scott and Danny are boosted for even more damage.
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Quebbster wrote:
    I'm looking forward to using 3* Cyclops, Iron Fist and Scarlet Witch again. Worked very well before, and this time Scott and Danny are boosted for even more damage.

Think that would work with my 2/2/2 cyke, 0/3/2 if, 2/2/4 Switch?
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    Is this the thread we start before the event begins, like the first time and then Demiurge makes quick changes to how Galactus works, presumably based on the musings on the forums? (E.g., Cosmic Wrath going from 30 AP to 28 so Star Lord couldn't stop it from going off.) Just saying... it may be more worthwhile to post strategies after the event begins so we can see what has changed since the last run and if anything new works. Suggesting something now may just give the wrong people ideas... icon_e_smile.gif
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tryke wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:

Think that would work with my 2/2/2 cyke, 0/3/2 if, 2/2/4 Switch?
    No idea. Try it at your own peril. icon_e_smile.gif Obviously the idea is to pump out Full Blast after Full Blast, so I guess it depends on what your Full Blast damage is like...
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2016
    I usually go for the quick overwhelming damage rather than delaying tactics of OBW. (Though she's a good choice for those in the 2 star range, especially since she's boosted here) By the later rounds, Galactus is coming so fast it's really just a few turns match anyway. Usually I go with IF + XFW (Both boosted for this event) to quickly power Surgical Strike (it targets Galactus' blue), with ProF X to get the bonus damage if you get a 5 match. Sometimes you're lucky enough to fire off a IF's greenflag.png & purpleflag.png (12 black ap fueled) before SS.

In the later rounds, alternate Prof X for Hulk, to tank damage thus shaking up the board.

Punisher's got his uses too, if you have 5 redflag.png . Team him with Cap Marvel (tanking generates blackflag.png & redflag.png ) and 3* Cyclops (also generating redflag.png ). Then Retribution can be a Hail Mary if you get him below 40%. This could work with any good One -Two character combo you favor, I just mention these two for their red generation and Cyclops' full blast. (he's boosted too for this)

I was in alliance with someone last time who said Thor/Kingpin/Prof X worked surprisingly well. I never did find out how that worked (it feels like it would be too slow to get going), but I include it here just in case that may be an option for someone. (They may have meant 4* Thor too, but 3* Thor shakes up the board more.)
  • rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,386 Chairperson of the Boards
    Last time I couldn't use IF/XFW, since my XFW was only 4/1/1, but now he's 5/5/2 so I'll give him a go this time.

My best team from last time was IF/Hulk/MoStorm. In later stages, each turn is 2-3 anger tiles, then lightning storm like crazy until you can fire IF purpleflag.png . Worked really well, and with Hulk tanking it's usually only 1 health pack every few attempts.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    G1 team was fist/xfw/cmags - good when they work right, but unreliable in later rounds.

G2 team was hulk/mostorm/3cap - never missed with them. hulk tanked all his colors and TUs and from about rd 3 on, the cds would trigger anger giving storm a ton of green which turned into a ton of everything. I also know some used 2* storm here, but I used the yellow board shake every once in a while.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Iron First / X-Force Wolverine / OBW

IF to make black for surgical, OBW to stall countdowns, XFW green for board shake.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Tatercat wrote:

Punisher's got his uses too, if you have 5 redflag.png . Team him with Cap Marvel (tanking generates blackflag.png & redflag.png ) and 3* Cyclops (also generating redflag.png ). Then Retribution can be a Hail Mary if you get him below 40%. This could work with any good One -Two character combo you favor, I just mention these two for their red generation and Cyclops' full blast. (he's boosted too for this)

This is actually a great combo for the later rounds, when Galactus has higher health. Nothing like Retribution to make a match end quickly. the only problem, though, is that the combo is highly dependent on red/bk/yel. If you end up with an unlucky board, you'll have to force reset your MPQ game and try the central node again.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    I've been running Hulk/GSBW/Xavier so far.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    IF/XFW/SW works (generate a ton of purple, then kill the whole board with 2-3 casts of IF purple, then SS to finish)
    XFW/4Pool/SW works (gather black, let purple pop, SS the CD4W)
    SW/Falcap/PX works (let SW blue pop out, match blue with Falcap to drop CD, PX does Master Plan damage, stops working at highest levels of G)
    IF/OML/4clops works (purple into black, big strike tiles increase IF attack tile very quickly, 4 clops finisher)
    SW/JG/PX works to give you a ton of purple, over and over. Pops G CD tiles with JG's AoE. Master Plan does damage and gives more purple.
    Berserk Al wrote:
    No doubt Original Black Widow, to slow countdowns and steal AP, and Ghost Rider, to use all that stolen Black.
    OBW is a must. Torch is good for quick damage also or the usual Iron Fist.
    Hendross wrote:
    Iron First / X-Force Wolverine / OBW
    IF to make black for surgical, OBW to stall countdowns, XFW green for board shake.

I just don't understand how people can have time to gather two-three purple matches (tell me you aren't tanking purple to get espionage to work) or 3-4 blue matches just to delay CD tiles. After the first three or four stages of Galactus, there's no way you can tank with OBW for multiple turns and give up a ton of match damage just to delay the Galactus CD tiles (except for the ones that are created the turn after).

I get it if you are playing with a team of only 2*s, OBW might be a good choice. However, for anyone else there are much better team compositions in 3* land or higher.

Hood would be a better choice, free AP in almost every color almost every turn once G pops his first chaos tile. Though gathering AP in every color is not as efficient as using a bunch of batteries as accelerants... are you really thinking a rainbow team is what you want to be using against a CD tile boss goon? Of course, you probably aren't going to get the yellow to use his twin pistols, but it hits hard and clears a lot of pesky tiles.

Loki/Patch/IF works in 3* land, but you really need the AP boosts at the highest levels. Patch's strike tiles make huge boosts for IF's every turn damage, but then you need the black in place for trickery, which is where IF's purple comes in handy.

Punisher's retribution is useful as a finisher in 3* land. 3Pool's healthbar slash and megawhales might be necessary for 3* players to get through the highest levels of Galactus. KK can be used at 5/5/3 to fuel hulk bombs with ol' Patch. Alternatively you can use Thor or GSBW with Patch/Hulk. CM can absorb damage at higher levels to fuel red/black. SW can accelerate purple, which is not as good in 3* land as in 4*. Luke Cage can absorb some of the incoming damage and deal the finisher if you can prioritize yellow on a 5/5/3 build. Shulkie is a desperation move to try and drain black AP. CMags has the board shake that might break up some tiles and (used) to do solid damage. Doom can provide blue to black AP conversion if you are really desperate for black AP, but his purple doesn't hit as hard as it used to. Captain Steve might take too long to get going at the higher levels.

Solid 3*s for
    Patch/Hulk/Loki/Punisher/IF/SW/3Pool/Cyclops/Hood/KK/CM/Cage/GSBW/Doom

Of those, Hulk/Patch/GSBW/Cyc are boosted. Hulk/Patch/GSBW might be a solid team. If not, try your precious OBW with Hulk/Patch and double tap your match damage.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    hulk anger not triggered yet (rd 4), so going with witch/fist/cyke (xfw would work too).
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buret0 wrote:
    I just don't understand how people can have time to gather two-three purple matches (tell me you aren't tanking purple to get espionage to work) or 3-4 blue matches just to delay CD tiles.
    For me, she's insurance against **** spawns of SW's cd tile. I'm not sure there's a blue ability that'd be more helpful here. It can buy a few extra turns while waiting for the cd tile to do what it's supposed to do. Also, OBW will tank black, which means if things really go badly, the black steal could give you an extra turn or two.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Last time it was Hulk, Cyclops, MoStorm. Hulk makes the green, Storm tosses the board over and over, Cyclops downs G-man.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    simonsez wrote:
    For me, she's insurance against **** spawns of SW's cd tile. I'm not sure there's a blue ability that'd be more helpful here. It can buy a few extra turns while waiting for the cd tile to do what it's supposed to do. Also, OBW will tank black, which means if things really go badly, the black steal could give you an extra turn or two.

See, that's scary to me, because I'm wondering how you are getting 9 bluetile.png AP to use her CD skill. Are you counting on gathering that AP through chains or match 4's and 5's, on SW's CD tile popping immediately, or are you actually matching blue? Further, if OBW's tanking black, that means you are using a match to gather 3 black AP that you have no strong actives for.

How many turns are you getting against Galactus? Sure, in the first three or four levels you could probably take your time and match G to death, but from round 5 on, its more of a race against time and making matches that aren't leading directly to his swift demise aren't recommended. Again, Hood will steal those AP for you without you needing to use your precious few turns making matches that aren't calculated towards damage per AP. Hood will also speed up that SW tile with intimidation, which is at least a use for active black on that team.
  • I'll probably go with Hulk/XFW/IF. Hulk to generate green, XFW to use that green to eliminate unfriendly tiles and shake the board. IF to generate black for SS which will shake the board as well.

What is Galactus's strongest color? Black?