Announcement: 'Classic' and 'Latest' Legendary Packs

Comments

• udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why is everyone talking about progress on OML being stopped when he is available in BOTH types? What am I missing?
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    udonomefoo wrote:
    Why is everyone talking about progress on OML being stopped when he is available in BOTH types? What am I missing?

I think the idea is that he won't be in the Latest pack for long and when he shifts to Classic, the only way to acquire covers will be through earning enough CP to buy a Classic, not through all of the other routes of earning Legendaries (Championing, PvP, PvE, etc).
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the idea is that he won't be in the Latest pack for long and when he shifts to Classic, the only way to acquire covers will be through earning enough CP to buy a Classic
    Are we getting another two 5*s all that soon? Just shoot me now...
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    icon_lol.gif Ok. I think we have enough flaws to complain about currently without complaining about something that hasn't happened yet, but that's just me.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    They say that they want to improve the long-term health of the game.

So what do they do?

DOUBLE DOWN on the Legendary token idea.

Unbelievable.

Why not make a system that lets you NOT completely rely on luck to get the 5* covers that you need? Some luck in the system is fine, but ALL luck is absurd.

After around 90 LT pulls I'm still sitting on 3 5* covers. My current streak is over 50. How exactly am I supposed to earn 5*s, other than hope my luck gets better? There's nothing quite like busting your **** on 90 different events, only to find out that you're not one of "the chosen ones" who will end up with 15 covers instead of 3 for the same amount of time/money/effort.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    udonomefoo wrote:

Because people assume that when things change they will stay the new way forever. Even though that has never been the case and the game is always evolving.

So they are extrapolating that when OML is removed from the winnable tokens there will never be any other way to acquire him apart from 20 CP purchases. And even though he is available to both methods now, at the point in the game where there is the highest influx of Legendary tokens (Championing is new, DDQ 4* has just reset) the world is still ending eventually.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,399 Chairperson of the Boards
    need to tune it a little more

latest Legends should have a higher draw for newer 4 stars. I mean if the 4 stars are the same wouldnt this mostly kill the new 4 star events. Since you cant buy covers i mean many will be stuck with 4 stars with 1 . 2 . 3 covers for a very very long time.

looking at mine (never paid for)

ghost rider was only got 1 cover since release
    miles never pulled any
    cly only pulled 1
    carrage 2
    starlord 2
    sam 1
    vemon 0

wonder if more people will be complaining about roaster cost paying 1000 to hold a person with 1 cover and no way to get more unless you get lucky..

wonder what changed i mean you was able to buy your way for 2 years and now they changed it.. hopefully this mean fewer people will be coming out meaning less slots needed to buy

now if they doubled or tripled the pull rate for new covers it would help... going to be interstering to see how no longer BUYING allow is giong to work.. Though i guess you could buy 40 packs and hope for the best but i got to wonder how many will do that.

I mean 100 bucks could = max 4 star cover wise .. 100 bucks wont even buy you 2 40 packs and good luck getting 10 new 4 star covers out of 80 tokens
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hope that everybody understands this without me saying it, but make sure of spending all your CP between now and the release of the next three 5* (after BSSM) in classic packs. Once a BSSM rotates out, the likelihood of getting a particular "old" 5*s will start going down and will only become lower with time (as I don't expect the odds to ever go above 10%). Once there are more than four 5* characters in the classic pack's pool, it is likely that saving up 720 CP will always be a better option than hoping to open exactly the one you need in 36 classic packs. However, by then you also better got as many covers of BSSM as possible... so it will be a balancing game that I presume is impossible to win without significant expense.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can currently earn 4-5 LTs per week if I try very hard. 3 pvps, ddq and maybe one more.

However it takes forever to earn 20 cp. The pve nodes are extremely stingy, which is terribly dispiriting, so I mostly just win 3 cp per week for getting top 50 in pvp.

So basically my oml will be stuck at 345 forever, and my ss will never have more than 3 covers either. Oh well.

If only they lowered the odds on 4*s so they could increase the odds on 5*s as we get more and more of them.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since all stock piled legendary tokens and all future tokens from rewards will be the latest variety, it means if you don't max cover the 5* by the time they rotate, the only way to get them is via the 20 command point lottery or 720 command point if you happen to have one of those colours already.
  • Tannen
    Tannen Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Also, what happens when you finally max that OML or SS and you want to start championing them?

The odds of pulling an individual cover for a 5* from the "classic" packs at that point is going to be ridiculously small.

Unless you keep on tokens for the various sets of three legendaries?
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2016
    Frasaria wrote:
    10% chance for a 5 star, 3 five stars, 13 covers per character, thus 39 covers is 390 latest legendary tokens every 3 months on average.
    If you earn less than 390 latest legendary tokens per 3 months you are on average behind and cant catch up anymore.
    Note that getting 13 covers is not good if they are all one colour. So you actually need more than 390 tokens.
  • _Ryu_
    _Ryu_ Posts: 149
    Wanna extend the health of the game? Make roster slots free like in Marvel Contest of Champions. That would make me actually want to get all and every character. As it is, i sacrificed She Hulk, Sentry, Ragnarok and Daredevil amongst others just to make roster space. I shouldnt have to do that at all.

Ones I read from Ice that this would never happen because its one of the main money bringer in the game for the company, so even slightly changes on that are out of the question.

This statement is okay for me, somehow the have to earn there rent!
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Tannen wrote:
    Also, what happens when you finally max that OML or SS and you want to start championing them?

The odds of pulling an individual cover for a 5* from the "classic" packs at that point is going to be ridiculously small.

Unless you keep on tokens for the various sets of three legendaries?

one might think they want to tighten the gap between 4 and 5 star players huh? icon_e_wink.gif
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    So...why not get rid of LT as progression rewards and replace them with 25 CP? That helps alleviate some of the CP crunch problem and allows people to progress how they want - saving 720/120/20 for a cover they want or 25/20 buying tokens.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    woopie wrote:
    So...why not get rid of LT as progression rewards and replace them with 25 CP? That helps alleviate some of the CP crunch problem and allows people to progress how they want - saving 720/120/20 for a cover they want or 25/20 buying tokens.

^^^ That's the smartest thing anyone has ever said about anything, ever. ^^^
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    So as new 5*s are added, the latest three releases are in the Latest Pack.

Does that mean that there are only a maximum of 3 5*'s in the Classic Pack? Or will all the previous ones still be available in there? Getting Surfer and OML covers (or the Phoenix cover that I still haven't pulled) is going to get a lot harder once the 5* after Black Suit Spidey happens.
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    tanis3303 wrote:
    woopie wrote:

I do try to do more than post chocobo pictures on LINE icon_lol.gif
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    woopie wrote:
    tanis3303 wrote:
    woopie wrote:

I do try to do more than post chocobo pictures on LINE icon_lol.gif

May want to post this in suggestions, ensure it gets read by the right people!
  • AaronTheLuigi
    AaronTheLuigi Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    One thing I found disappointing was the neglect to mention this change to anyone in-game who is not a forum user.

When you put up the announcements players see when they launch the game there really should be links to the forums about impending changes to the game. The only thing it seems to be used for nowadays is revealing a special feature already live in the game (like championing) or talking about what tokens give you better odds for the newest character.

I still haven't seen anything regarding the change in cover buying, and the only way my alliance found out was me broadcasting it in the chat. This should have had a week's notice in-game so non-forumites could prepare.

When the impending quality-of-life update arrives please give everyone who plays the game a link to the changes in advance so we can react and reallocate resources accordingly.