Who will be your first Champion, and Why?

Comments

• STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    I'm a softcapping **** so pretty much all of my 2*, though Ares, OBW, Storm, and Mags take priority. This is probably what will get me to push my roster past its current level. I look forward to it. Besides, I really miss Ares and OBW as a go to combo. Going to be fun to break them out again on something other than easy nodes.
  • Redrobot30
    Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    TxMoose wrote:
    all depends on when it hits. only have 2 4*s within reach of maxing and would take most of my iso and have no covers waiting for either, so expirations will drive my decision. if this hits today my first will be panther (20 hrs left). if not my first will be 3mags (like so many others) since I have 5 covers in waiting for him (exp timers 1d19h to 4d11h). 3* will take priority over 2* depending on my iso pile and if I need to hit max on a 4*. if I don't need to hit max on one of my top2 4* from my 23 LTs, i'll be able to champ 5 3*s and 4 2*s.

I've got 23 hours left on one of two Black Panthers too. Hoping I don't have to waste it...
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    OBW for me as well, followed by the other few 2* I still have.

Because I want to get a sense of how much of the initial iso investment we can expect to get back, and how quickly, before I go iso-broke championing every damn 3* in my roster.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have 6 SHulk covers and several 3Torches, but it'd cost me almost 80k to max either and I don't really like them much. I've got 1 Cage, 1 Fist and a few OBW's and they're all maxed so they're up first.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Caught a random Switch cover. She'll be first as she has been a phenomenal utility player for me.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hulkbuster. There are about 30 maxed characters in my roster who are getting the upgrade as soon as it's available, and as my only 270 HB is the first character who shows up when I hit "upgrade."
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    My first will be Luke Cage. For whatever reason, his black cover has been my white whale (black whale? African American whale?) -- just finally got a third black for him in his last DDQ (he was 5/5/2 for the longest time) and was able to bring him to 166 then; it'll be great to freely re-spec him.

After that it will be any maxed 3*s I've wanted to respec (LDaken, KK, SWitch) due to how my cards fell and then every 3* and 2* for which I have a cover sitting in my queue. I'm really looking forward to it.
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    I am probably the only one who will have a different response. My first will be Red Hulk and I am currently 60k short iso. The reason why he will be first is because his covers landed 4/4/5 - and without a green 5 he is not terribly useful. He will be my second 270 4* and I am doing it *strictly* to change his build, no other reason.

So the plan is to take advantage of championing in its truest form.

I will then champion all the 2* I have (obw, cstorm and ares) because their covers are readily available and so it will be silly not to take advantage of the rewards. I am hoping 50 levels of rewards exceeds the iso we get from the value of 50 covers. Lastly, plan to champion the top 3* that everyone agrees upon: fist, cage, cmags, kk, loki and hood. hood especially just to give him more HP and less squishy. I dont really have many covers sitting in queue and I hope the patch arrives soon as things are close to expiring.
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    edited January 2016
    I will have 18 "first" champions. Because I have reward covers for 18 maxed characters that expire in 4 days......

2*: Thor, Magneto, Storm, Ares, Daken, OBW, Wolverine
    3*: Daken, Deadpool, Daredevil, Luke Cage, LCap, Thor, GSBW, Falcon, Hulk
    4*: XFW, Rulk

All of them will be champions shortly after the feature goes live......unless of course it doesn't go live for 4 more days. Then I'm going to be a little upset.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a max Bagman. He is waiting patiently to take his rightful place as first in the glorious halls of the Champions.
  • Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    All 2* currently maxed (Thor, Wolv, OBW, Mag, Storm, Ares), then all maxed 3* (IF, Cage, CMag, Cyclop, Thor, Wolv), then will strat leveling up all 2* to 94, then 3*. A lot of ISO but now i have somenthing to do=)
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    One aspect that doesn't get enough love is the free re-specs. My maxed Jean Grey has been missing a purple cover for a while now. Don't need to wait for the rotation to come around. Just respec.

Same with my maxed Kingpin, who's missing two yellow covers. You can laugh at a maxed Kingpin, but during his last buff, that black finger was absolutely destroying people.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I'm strongly considering feeding Thor the 200K ISO it'll take to max her because then she can go from 3/5/5 to 5/3/5 without waiting for those red covers I can never seem to draw.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've only got 18k iso right now.

If they add it in the next 8 hrs, it'll be Luke Cage. If it takes another day to release the update, BP is the next cover to expire.
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    scottee wrote:
    You can laugh at a maxed Kingpin, but during his last buff, that black finger was absolutely destroying people.
    Anyone who has been fingered by a maxed Kingpin isn't laughing. They're sobbing uncontrollably in the corner, rocking back and forth, while Wilson Fisk does his best impersonation of Vincent D'Onofrio in Full Metal Jacket.

Vincent-D-Onofrio-Full-Metal-Jacket.2.jpg

latest?cb=20150904145233
  • All of them will be champions shortly after the feature goes live......unless of course it doesn't go live for 4 more days. Then I'm going to be a little upset.

That does suck, but covers are acquired on a rolling basis. If they expire, they will come around again.

I sold numerous expiring 4s last week. Not crying over it, as I don't have any 4s maxed anyway icon_lol.gif

But yeah, good stuff expiring everyday icon_e_sad.gif

Can't sweat 2*s so much (especially not on LR days!) ... they're be replaced soon.

But 3s take a while.

And selling 4s just hurts.

Assuming the feature drops this afternoon ( icon_question.gif ) ... my first will be CStorm!

C'mon, devs, app stores, whoever .... she only has 21h 54m to live!

Hell, I already forgot what I sold off this morning.....
    Yeah, once you realize how long it will take to see much of an appreciable difference in your 3* champions you won't sweat the one or two covers you had to sell before it went live.

I had over 300 rewards that I went through last night selling off all the 1*s and characters that I don't have maxed which left me with 135 covers from the 18 characters I mentioned above (the vast majority of them 2*). In ~2 weeks of hoarding I have gathered no more than 5 covers from any one 3* character (and even most of those are from PvP placement). So that's 40 weeks minimum to get to a 266 for me - likely more.

No, in the grand scheme of MPQ end game, selling off 1 of 100 covers in the first of 40+ weeks on the road to a maxed 3* champion is really no big deal.
  • ejmus
    ejmus Posts: 55 Match Maker
    First will hopefully be HB, as with others because I have an extra.
    Next the plan is for 3*s who could really use the shuffling, starting with KK. I've wanted for a long time to be able to switch between her purple and yellow depending on Fist use.
    Others I'd like to give include Cage, Torch (would love to keep his green, then switch to black for defense), perhaps Fist as well. Most of those could use the extra life as well.
  • Despite having plenty of 3* to look at, I'm doing my 2* first. Why is pretty simple - they will be cheaper, they will get the covers faster (MHawk...), and what's not to love about a 2* OBW playing like a 3*, and if my assumption is correct, getting buffed to a 4*? A 4* Windstorm? MnMags functioning as a red generator? M Hawk because... COVERS!

After that it will simply be based on what covers pop up. I'm casual these days, so I don't pick or choose which covers I get (otherwise I'd have maxed out Bullseye by now). I have some saved up, but for the most part, I'll just do each character as they come along.

I do have one concern...albiet minor, and possibly offset by rewards, but those covers have become a decent source of ISO for me. All those MHawk have powered maxing a couple 3*...they were more valuable than the '20' ISO rewards...so I'm hoping they buff that just to counter the ISO lost from not selling covers anymore.
    - Unreall
  • Boommike
    Boommike Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    scottee wrote:
    You can laugh at a maxed Kingpin, but during his last buff, that black finger was absolutely destroying people.

How has this not gotten more attention? The internet is failing me!
  • I do have one concern...albiet minor, and possibly offset by rewards, but those covers have become a decent source of ISO for me. All those MHawk have powered maxing a couple 3*...they were more valuable than the '20' ISO rewards...so I'm hoping they buff that just to counter the ISO lost from not selling covers anymore.
    - Unreall
    This is a valid concern. The impression I got from the video is that the ISO rewards in the progression will make up for the sell cost. Obviously there are instances where you will have to decide if you want the 500 ISO, or the HP/cover/CP reward, but over time I think the total ISO draw will be greater from championing vs. selling.