Updates To Story Event Placement Rewards

Comments

• (Careful everyone, they're just removing posts critical of the changes regardless of whether or not they violate any sort of user agreement.)

Why not simply increase the rewards on the back end as well? Do you realize how much time and effort it takes to finish in 101st place in a 7 day PVE? Way too much to come up short. If you want to jack up the reward system for the people who basically paly the game for a living that's fine, they clearly earned it. Why not increase the number of 4* covers to at least top 150? That way people who have families, friends, jobs and relationships can at least place, even if they only commit 14 hours a week to the event instead of 20.
  • What about changes to progression rewards?
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin
    MrGame004 wrote:
    What about changes to progression rewards?
    None at current. That doesn't mean we won't change them in the future, but that this current alteration affects placement rewards.
  • IceIX
    AE_Fios wrote:
    (Careful everyone, they're just removing posts critical of the changes regardless of whether or not they violate any sort of user agreement.)
    No we're not. I just looked through the logs to make sure. There are zero posts removed from this thread except one where I accidentally replied instead of edited the OP. That doesn't count. If you're talking about other threads, I can't comment there since each thread is particular. However, *this* thread is not the place to talk about that.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2015
    Just like when CP was implemented, this changes nothing and it still does not help us transition into 4*s.

Stop with the baby steps, is it really that difficult to give 1 4* and 1 3* for T75?

Will Alliance at least get a 4* cover?
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    Alliance rewards now look in need of a boosted. Any plans?
  • IceIX
    alphabeta wrote:
    Alliance rewards now look in need of a boosted. Any plans?
    We're going to be looking at other reward structures going forward as well. I don't have any timelines to share, but other structures are under the microscope.
  • Just like when CP was implemented, this changes nothing and it still does not help us transition into 4*s.

Stop with the baby steps, is it really that difficult to give 1 4* and 1 3* for T75?

I'll have to disagree with you. Since CP were introduced I've earned enough to open it four times. Also I've played all three and four days PVE events to earn the legendary tokens, and I feel my four stars characters are coming along. I'm sure many are in the same boat.
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    MrGame004 wrote:
    Just like when CP was implemented, this changes nothing and it still does not help us transition into 4*s.

I'll have to disagree with you. Since CP were introduced I've earned enough to open it four times. Also I've played all three and four days PVE events to earn the legendary tokens, and I feel my four stars characters are coming along. I'm sure many are in the same boat.

Agreed 4* transition challenging but far more achievable than even 2 months ago to make progress
  • SangFroid
    SangFroid Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    I think people are missing the point here.

Does this fix all that is wrong with PVE? No

Is this an improvement and step in the right direction the same as adding an LT to PVE progression was? Yes

I think the timing and confusion with 4* releases has gotten a lot of people off track here.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2015
    While it's nice that they're looking at expanding rewards, the fact that this only helps 4* advancement for people who grind for top 10, and that it apparently does literally nothing for new releases -- which are the only PvE events many vets try for placement in -- raises concerns that other reforms will be similarly useless.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    This will actually reduce how much I play PvE, not increase it.

Before I'd play casual, not care about placement, and get rewards, sometimes enough for the LT. Now I'm inclined to bracket shop every PvE, since one known cover > one LT every day.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I appriciate the update to placement rewards in PVE, but what is this really saying. What it is telling me is that players play a lot more PVP than PVE and the Dev's are starting to increase the rewards in PVE to get more engagement in PVE.
    PVP needs e update to placement rewards a lot more than PVE since every third to fourth PVE is a new character. PVP is to the point where top 100 gets a 3* and the players getting that one 3* character does not need it. The players getting top 10, top 25, and top 50 don't need the 3* cover. Yet the players who are playing PVP and excell in season rewards and need 4* covers are being told to go play PVE.

Please look to update PVP rewards to award more 4*. Make more 4* essential in PVP. Don't tell the player base to go play PVE and grind for top 10 placement and take the best way to progress to 3* land away to 2* players.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    This seems like a big improvement for 3* transitioners and a very slight improvement for 4* transitioners. Isn't it clear, though, that is the latter transition the one that needs more help right now? Please also improve new character releasing events too! With the huge amount of players in 4* transition right now, two 4* covers for top 20 is far too little. 2 covers should go to top 50, 3 to top 20 and starting with top 10 and above, additional 4* covers.

Now I think of it, the update may not be so great for 3* transitioners either. Normal PVE events were usually ignored by 4* transitioners and the 3* guys only had to compete among themselves. Now, many of the progression-starved 4* guys will swarm these events in the hopes of getting top 10 and above... the thing is that you can bet that there will be quite many more than 10 of them! As they grind savagely, they'll take the top 20 and higher positions from the 3* transitioners that needed them the most. So you'll get lots of disgruntled 4* transitioners that grinded like crazy and only got useless 3*s plus lots of disgruntled 3* transitioners that really needed those covers and didn't have a chance to place highly against the hardcore 4* guys.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Pylgrim wrote:

Now I think of it, the update may not be so great for 3* transitioners either. Normal PVE events were usually ignored by 4* transitioners and the 3* guys only had to compete among themselves. Now, many of the progression-starved 4* guys will swarm these events in the hopes of getting top 10 and above... the thing is that you can bet that there will be quite many more than 10 of them! As they grind savagely, they'll take the top 20 and higher positions from the 3* transitioners that needed them the most. So you'll get lots of disgruntled 4* transitioners that grinded like crazy and only got useless 3*s plus lots of disgruntled 3* transitioners that really needed those covers and didn't have a chance to place highly against the hardcore 4* guys.

I tend to agree with this. If the covers being offered are for newer releases, like Ghost Rider, I can definitely see 4* transitioners push as hard for placement as players do normally for new character debuts. It would be difficult for the 3* guys to keep up. but then again, I think D3 is looking to push up pve engagement rate, and this will certainly do the trick.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    so this change is only for 3 star events what happens with 4 star they stay the same...i dont see any change in this PVE
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I haven't hit top 10 since I was in 2* land. Again, another change to the system that is barely even noticable.

I, along with many others, have been saying for a while that continuing to treat 4*s in placement rewards the same way they always had been despite the game system changing to accomodate way more of them was bizarre at best. But this really doesn't help. Top 10? So...in an era where the 4* transition is meant to be made progressively easier, the top 1% is rewarded with a 4* while the rest...aren't. I'm not sure how that helps, exactly.
  • The old chart is still missing "1-2: 1 4* cover and 3 3* covers"

That is a kinda important distinction.

I don't want to have to tank a little bit in case I end up ranking up there, but I'd rather have the Scarlet Witch covers instead of the Kingpin cover.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    As a 4* transitioner who usually hits top-10 (but has only hit top-2 once), I'm thrilled with this. I think my best friend, currently a 3* transitioner who struggles to find enough time to hit top-100, will be similarly happy.

I don't think this is a huge change, but a good one. It means it is possible to make a serious start in the transition without shifting primarily to PvP (which is a big change, for good or ill).
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Glad to see 3* covers get pushed out a bit further but...wow, do I have no interest in grinding for a top 10 finish just to get a single 4* cover, new release or otherwise.

And my 3* are now basically covered, well after I could have used the covers.

I mean, I guess yay that placement rewards got looked at, but this is double-barrel dooky to me.