Kingpin vs Cage in the DDQ

Comments

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    My Kingpin is 5/4/4 (just got my last black last night,) and was level 166.

My first match I had him - I had an ample amount of purple and he was just nickle and diming me with his occassional black. Then he got the TU out, I couldn't match it for two or three turns, and that was it. Very frustrating.

Second time I made sure to leave plenty of green on the board and was able to match it away in one turn. It was a grind - I couldn't get enough black for more than one or two finger pokes, but I was able to use purple to keep him from getting yellow (I think the most he ever had was eight,) and he didn't get off too many jabs either. The AI had good luck with matching my CDs, too, but eventually I was able to wear him down. One of my thugs ended the match with me at 806 hit points.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the TU it would have been interesting. I do wish they'd fix that - possibly it's too low of a priority and they won't.

Advice - don't worry too much about denial unless you can't get purple - yellow is so damn slow you can almost always take it away before he can get it off. Concentrate on black and purple. This is, of course, if you have decent amounts in either.

Out of curiousity, can anyone who was hit by yellow tell us if it does base damage, or damage for his (non existant but not "downed") allies?
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    GrimSkald wrote:

Out of curiousity, can anyone who was hit by yellow tell us if it does base damage, or damage for his (non existant but not "downed") allies?

Base, but enough to 1 shot a lvl 140 KP, which is why i leveled him to 172
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    GrimSkald wrote:

Base, but enough to 1 shot a lvl 140 KP, which is why i leveled him to 172

I can tell you that it's at least 4.5k damage as that's how much health I had when he one shot me to my fat kingpin chin.
  • My 1/4/3 lvl 172 Kingpin was vastly outmatched. I think it was my seventh attempt that I started the game with a black match-five. After that resolved it left open a purple match-five that cascaded into enough yellow, black and purple to let me get Maggia Pawns off as well as three Gambits before Cage even got to move. He also matched away his own Flame Jet TU before it went off. Even given all of these breaks, it was very, very close.

This one is tough without yellow and black covers.
  • trat73
    trat73 Posts: 79 Match Maker
    edited November 2015
    Beat him with a 1/5/2 lvl 145 KP. Wasn't easy. Boosted b/p, b/g, and Crits. Went after all black, used purple to drain/fuel yellow and tried to hold on as long as I could to use black/yellow combo. Definitely helps if you can wait until he matches his protect tile. Good luck! (Iceman Green)
  • Unknown
    edited November 2015
    5/3/5 180 Kingpin. Lost the first time (got him to 1k health but he got a lucky black cascade to kill me).

Even when I won the 2nd time, it was still rough. 270 Cage is no laughing matter. (did pull an OML, first 5* yay)
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 533 Critical Contributor
    1/3/3 Level 140.

Gone through 13 times so far.

If I get a board where I can control Cage's colors, he pops off the TU and I'm taking at least 1k damage per turn.

This one is just as bad as the StarLord battle. At the very least, they should eliminate the opponent's TU.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Calling it a day now.

15 attempts (the most attempts I've ever had on 4*DDQ) and 15 defeats without ever really getting close. Even on the few occasions where I can deny his yellow and save up enough to use Maggia and then 3 pokes I do a laughably low 1.2k per poke...it would take 12 of these for me to win. I'll get him next time around.

On the plus side my legendary token from 25CP gave me baglady yellow... I've only just sold 2 of those.
  • CrimsonHulk
    CrimsonHulk Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    Barely won on my first try with Kingpin @ 5/1/2 & lvl. 172. Between JJC and the icon_humantorch.png team up I had 260 health remaining to his 7000+. I landed one of the luckiest cascades ever and had enough to use purpleflag.png which generated enough for his yellowflag.png which allowed me to use the 12 black I had to finger nuke him twice.

The LT gave me a blueflag.png Sam Cap, he's @ 2/3/0 now.
  • 2/3/3 166 boosted. Took about 10 tries. Got 1000 ISO for my troubles.
  • Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Based on these posts it looks like KP black is very rare as most have mainly purple. I only recently got him to 4/4/2 with 2 lucky black pulls. Surprisingly took Cage out on the first try and never saw his TU fire.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/1/4 level 213 did it second try. It finally occurred to me that black doing 5000+ for 6AP was the way to go, hoard black, fire off a yellow, black 3 times and bye-bye Cage.

And I got a Silver Surfer black from the token, so I'm a happy bunny.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    ok. lost track towards the end. 18-20 tries. i had a board that started me with a black match-5 and was very purple heavy. that one was never close or in jeopardy. my 3/3/4 (thank you CP LT for the 3rd purple), level 145 kp struggled mightily but now i can finally go get the 2 CPs from pve. KP works much better with witch or doom lol.

oh, and got flaptain blue, but needed, so i'll take it.
  • elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    452 level 170 got him down the first try - got red SL fot the effort icon_mrgreen.gif
  • 353 lvl 190 here. Won first try. Was able to control black and yellow pretty well, and got tons of pink. Was a long-ish match, never really in danger tho, since the AI can't play Cage black well at all. He got 2 jabs in. If the AI had saved that black...ouch.

Pulled a yellowflag.png KP ... how appropriate ... so is now 354.

That the AI fires off blackflag.png the second that LC gets 6AP in that color is a blessing. LC is a great character, but not very dangerous defensively.

Then, of course, that's why flame jet exists in this fight. Sweet. Ugh.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    1/5/1 Kingpin. Played it once and had the same thought that I had with SL:

Why do I even Roster this 4* character? Clearly the 3* character opponent is better and I already have him. Moving on...
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why do I even Roster this 4* character?
    You can't judge him when you only have him half-covered. He's actually pretty good.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:
    Why do I even Roster this 4* character?
    You can't judge him when you only have him half-covered. He's actually pretty good.
    Technically, I know that. I'm not literally calling KP another SL.

But how does 4* DDQ make me feel?

It makes me feel like I really don't want to bother with 4* characters. I can play my nearly maxed 3* Roster and just forget about this over-priced, delayed-satisfaction 4* content. When I'm bored with that, I'm done.

That's fine. I'm ok with that. I'm just saying that this node does a pretty poor job of getting me excited about the 4* game. I'm certainly not going to purchase a KP cover for this.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why do I even Roster this 4* character? Clearly the 3* character opponent is better and I already have him. Moving on...
    he's consensus t5-t10 of the 4*s. by no means on SL level. key cover is black and at 1 black, yes, this one is not going to work (similar to 1 black on xf didn't have a chance against Cyclops or 1 blue on fury against mags), but the character is not bad. also, don't overstate the 3* character at 270 - we don't get to play them at that level except if featured in a pvp. 3*s at 270 are all monsters because of how they scale, especially the elite class like cage/Cyclops/mags.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Argh, lost my post...quick version:

Main acct has 5/3/5 lvl 240 and it still took 2 tries cause of bad RNG/luck

Alt acct has 1/1/1 from release (max lvl 78, woohoo - as an aside he is awfully fun to use in Big Enchilada with Thor/CStorm - goes infinite sometimes by end of the first wave). Didn't stand a chance. Powered up finger pokes for ~850 when he has >14k life? Yeah, not gonna live to fire off 16+ finger pokes. (80 yellow + 96 black = 16 pokes)

General observation: Luke Cage's enormous protect tile makes him a little too good for 4* DDQ in general imo. Undercovered and/or the wrong covers and it will be essentially impossible to win barring a multitude of miracle cascades in your favor. Since you can't even chip away at his life total with boosts you have to rely on your abilities to damage him and if yours aren't good enough you don't stand a chance. I don't think my 1/1/1 could have won even if he had simply matched away his protect tile every turn.