November Community Video - Command Points & 5-Star Phoenix

Comments

• DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Where are you getting *10 from? If you get one per day from DDQ, assuming all 40 characters on your roster, that's 365 per year. Legendaries will cost 25 CP/pack under the new system. That's 365/25 = 14.6 (rounded down to 14 because you can't round up here).

So...where's the *10 coming from?
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    DFiPL wrote:
    Where are you getting *10 from? If you get one per day from DDQ, assuming all 40 characters on your roster, that's 365 per year. Legendaries will cost 25 CP/pack under the new system. That's 365/25 = 14.6 (rounded down to 14 because you can't round up here).

So...where's the *10 coming from?

2016 is a leap year, so that fixes everything.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    I, for one, am totally cool with earning a Legendary every 25 days, just for doing something I was already doing anyway!

But, please correct me if I am mistaken, there will be other opportunities to earn CP. They mentioned something about scoring 300 in PVP for at least the next one (and it would be nice if they continued that). That would be another every 3 days, plus if they are included in PVE events. And I bet they will also come with purchases.

And since Legendary Tokens are still in play, that enhances the Legendary token rate for those of us that concentrate on PVE and only play PVP from the 300 to 650 range. (given one legendary every 4-7 days)

Now... If only there was a system where 2, 3, and 4 star covers could be redeemed for CPs... icon_e_smile.gif
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    pheregas wrote:
    I, for one, am totally cool with earning a Legendary every 25 days, just for doing something I was already doing anyway!

Unfortunately, that's not how it's actually going to work. For the time being, at least. Which is kinda icon_e_sad.gif
    But, please correct me if I am mistaken, there will be other opportunities to earn CP. They mentioned something about scoring 300 in PVP for at least the next one (and it would be nice if they continued that). That would be another every 3 days, plus if they are included in PVE events. And I bet they will also come with purchases.

You are correct. There will be other opportunities. The 300 in PVP is just this event, I believe, just as the 1/day in DDQ is just for the next cycle. They have also confirmed that purchases will include some CP also (as well as an alliance gift of CP if anybody in the alliance buys HP/ISO).
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm sure we'll know more later. I try and support the game by making one or two in-app purchases a year. Those, up to this point, have gone towards roster slots. But now that I have all characters (minus OML), I only need 1k HP every two weeks or so, which I can earn in-game through placements and such.

Since I don't need much HP anymore, buying it is silly. At least a system will now be in place where I can support the game makers and still get something I need.*

*I like the challenge of achieving things in Free to Play games, but I don't think penalizing programmers who (usually) make good content deserve to work for free. icon_e_smile.gif
  • AtlasAxe
    AtlasAxe Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    Everyone seems to think that PVP scaling will be changed, and possibly fixed, but I'm not seeing that in the transcript. They only call out PVE. Is there some other source indicating that PVP scaling might be updated?

I actually found that scaling issues were worse in PVP than PVE once I got a single maxed 3*.
  • itstime1234
    itstime1234 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    Is it mentioned anywhere the number of CP to get a 5* cover. The article and video only state that it will be considerably more than the 25 CP for a token.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin
    Atlas Axe wrote:
    Everyone seems to think that PVP scaling will be changed, and possibly fixed, but I'm not seeing that in the transcript. They only call out PVE. Is there some other source indicating that PVP scaling might be updated?

I actually found that scaling issues were worse in PVP than PVE once I got a single maxed 3*.
    Matchmaking isn't necessarily included in the same changes that we've got planned for PVE (as they're different algorithms), but we're certainly going to be looking at that side of things as well.
  • IceIX
    Is it mentioned anywhere the number of CP to get a 5* cover. The article and video only state that it will be considerably more than the 25 CP for a token.
    720. IE, a lot.
  • IceIX
    ICEIX
    I didn't see this question answered anywhere but will unwanted 4 or 5 * covers be able to be sold for CP under the new system?
    Not at launch, no. Originally, all covers 2*+ were going to have a chance to proc CP on sale, but it was actively messing with the development of another feature. As a response to that, we figured out about how much players would be earning from cover sales and placed that into Daily Rewards instead. So it shifted those sale reward procs from a statistical amount for users to something based on length of play. So no, but that's why Daily Rewards give CP instead.
  • itstime1234
    IceIX wrote:
    720. IE, a lot.

That's almost 29 legendary tokens!!!!! Someone must have awful luck to take the 5* cover over tokens.
  • IceIX
    IceIX wrote:
    720. IE, a lot.

That's almost 29 legendary tokens!!!!! Someone must have awful luck to take the 5* cover over tokens.
    Not really. By the time anyone gets the points to buy a cover, Phoenix will be in packs. At that point, the chance of getting a specific cover you want is going to be 10/3/3, or about 1.1%. That'd likely take a lot more than 29 tokens to specifically get the Silver Surfer Red you want.
  • IceIX wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    720. IE, a lot.

Not really. By the time anyone gets the points to buy a cover, Phoenix will be in packs. At that point, the chance of getting a specific cover you want is going to be 10/3/3, or about 1.1%. That'd likely take a lot more than 29 tokens to specifically get the Silver Surfer Red you want.

So then when will Pheonix be in packs?
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    IceIX wrote:
    Atlas Axe wrote:

Matchmaking isn't necessarily included in the same changes that we've got planned for PVE (as they're different algorithms), but we're certainly going to be looking at that side of things as well.

Not trying to be a jerk, and I appreciate you answering questions, but why wasn't this considered before rolling out 5*s? I thought you even posted that rostering a 5* wouldn't mess up scaling and here we are 2 months later talking about how PVE will be fixed sometime soon and PVP might be in the future? I'm just trying to understand what happened between your initial expectations for 5*s and what has actually taken place?
  • IceIX
    So then when will Phoenix be in packs?
    Currently planned for release on 11/12.
  • itstime1234
    IceIX wrote:
    720. IE, a lot.

I am not hating on this at all. I just am awed by the people that would take 1 cover over 29 tokens. Im all for making the 5* onslaught as slow as possible.

EDIT: Except in my case. If you can ensure at least 3 of my next 5 tokens are OML I would be much appreciated. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • IceIX wrote:
    ICEIX
    I didn't see this question answered anywhere but will unwanted 4 or 5 * covers be able to be sold for CP under the new system?
    Not at launch, no. Originally, all covers 2*+ were going to have a chance to proc CP on sale, but it was actively messing with the development of another feature. As a response to that, we figured out about how much players would be earning from cover sales and placed that into Daily Rewards instead. So it shifted those sale reward procs from a statistical amount for users to something based on length of play. So no, but that's why Daily Rewards give CP instead.

I don't mean to be a jerk, but that's a **** answer. How exactly are you determining "how much players would be earning through cover sales"?

I was so excited when LTs were announced, thought they would be a solution to my time away from the game, and give me a chance to catch up on 4* toons. But in reality, they're a **** shoot just like everything else in this game. Regardless of the fact that I have like 5/21 4* toons covered, I've pulled like 6/30 usable covers from LTs since they started.

There should be a system in place to trade in covers, and I certainly don't mean for a measly 1k iso. I was hoping it would be cmd points. Or anything, really. Hp, even. Revert to giving us 50hp for a 4* cover, which we would need to pay 2600hp to purchase. Is that too much to ask? That way, after I pull 52 useless 4* covers from LTs, at least I can buy one useful one.

Yes, I know "something is in the works". I don't care...do it already, instead of spending time making flashy Victory banners.

Thanks.
  • IceIX
    I don't mean to be a jerk, but that's a **** answer. How exactly are you determining "how much players would be earning through cover sales"?
    Pretty easily. We can see how many covers players of all stripes sell, which tends to correlate very closely with overall play time. Meaning that the longer you're playing, the more and higher end covers you're selling. That was already in our math to figure out how high to make the proc rate without flooding the game with CP anyway. So it's a pretty simple step to ramp up the CP allowance over days played through Daily Rewards to come very close to that statistical curve.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Serious question, Ice....

With command points, it seems like the game philosophy behind 5* has transitioned (pretty quickly) from "elite rewards that very few will earn and which will take a long time to cover" to "just a new tier of characters that bumps all the former tiers down one level of desirability". Is this true? HAS there been a philosophical design change from what was stated when 5*s were first announced?

And if so, are you going to fill in the "missing" 3*-4* gameplay tier that would be the equivalent of (currently) the 800-level progression awards and DDQ, but for 3*-4* transitioners?
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    IceIX wrote:
    Pretty easily. We can see how many covers players of all stripes sell, which tends to correlate very closely with overall play time. Meaning that the longer you're playing, the more and higher end covers you're selling. That was already in our math to figure out how high to make the proc rate without flooding the game with CP anyway. So it's a pretty simple step to ramp up the CP allowance over days played through Daily Rewards to come very close to that statistical curve.

Behold the almighty metrics!!! icon_mrgreen.gif