November Community Video - Command Points & 5-Star Phoenix

Comments

• IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin
    dijidiji wrote:
    You can assume that not answering this question is a conscious decision. "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all."
    Actually, it's that I don't know for sure what the plan is there, so I'd prefer not to say something then find out I was incorrect.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:
    1) Just bonus for launch. We may re-add them down the line if we see the need to increase CP outflow.

Did...did I say 2/3 off the bat ain't bad?

Took you fewer than two dozen words to drop that to 1/3.

So we've got new content (yay!) DDQ availability gone from what sounded like ongoing to 'lol nope just at launch' (BOO) and 'well we're going to change things so that you're always better off leveling' which could either be ominous or welcome.

I don't know why I got my hopes up, because that sounds about par for the course.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Seriously. If 1 CP/day were earnable in perpetuity via clearing all five DDQ missions, you're talking about a cap of 365 points/year. That is a MAXIMUM of 18 covers/year at that 25 CP/Legendary exchange rate.

There are 21 4* in the game right now. Assuming each token somehow magically gives you a cover for a different character, you wouldn't even get one cover for every 4* currently available. Even if you ignore Devil Dino.

If you somehow got crazy lucky and concentrated your pulls, that's 1.5 fully-covered 4*. If you continue to release one per month, by the time anybody earns those 18 covers, you will have gone from 21 4* to 33 4*.

And you're concerned that one CP/day earnable via DDQ might be too MUCH? That you need to dial that back after the launch and see if you need to inject it back into the economy later?

I just...I spent a while earlier talking about how, yeah, this is actually a pretty cool idea and would benefit both the 2->3* and 3->4* transitioners, and this just kinda...should have been completely expected given past precedent, and yet I'm sorely disappointed to learn that this is how you guys are viewing it.

Wow. Just...wow.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    I find it amusing of sorts that they mention the issues with 5* issues on reddit but never mention their own forums.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    DFiPL wrote:
    Seriously. If 1 CP/day were earnable in perpetuity via clearing all five DDQ missions, you're talking about a cap of 365 points/year. That is a MAXIMUM of 18 covers/year at that 25 CP/Legendary exchange rate.

There are 21 4* in the game right now. Assuming each token somehow magically gives you a cover for a different character, you wouldn't even get one cover for every 4* currently available. Even if you ignore Devil Dino.

If you somehow got crazy lucky and concentrated your pulls, that's 1.5 fully-covered 4*. If you continue to release one per month, by the time anybody earns those 18 covers, you will have gone from 21 4* to 33 4*.

And you're concerned that one CP/day earnable via DDQ might be too MUCH? That you need to dial that back after the launch and see if you need to inject it back into the economy later?

I just...I spent a while earlier talking about how, yeah, this is actually a pretty cool idea and would benefit both the 2->3* and 3->4* transitioners, and this just kinda...should have been completely expected given past precedent, and yet I'm sorely disappointed to learn that this is how you guys are viewing it.

Wow. Just...wow.

Being a long term player and long term member of these forums why does this disappoint? I would have thought that by now you would be used to having the decision makers urinating in your cornflakes.

I have decided to give them the benefit of the doubt, as a casual but long term free player I know that any changes are not intended to be in my best interests so I will see what I can do with command points for a month, if I feel that I will not be able to earn them at a rate that I feel is right for the time I put in I will be deleting the app again.
  • Dark Nova
    Dark Nova Posts: 56 Match Maker
    As someone due to receive Silver Surfer as a daily reward very soon, I'm glad the issue of scaling is being addressed! Was worried I'd end up hitting the 4* wall of death after just 3 seed matches. Kudos to D3 for giving priority fixing to something that could have ruined the game.

I also welcome the introduction of CP as a progression path. I've been around too long to expect the price of Legendary tokens to remain at 25CP (As IceX said, that is the price "at launch") but at least I know I'll be heading towards something. Legendary tokens are too out of reach for me at the moment, and my fully powered 3* team are just treading water in t50 land. Even earning a TENTH of a CP per day still gives me incentive to keep playing!
    icon_cool.gif
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:
    dijidiji wrote:
    You can assume that not answering this question is a conscious decision. "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all."
    Actually, it's that I don't know for sure what the plan is there, so I'd prefer not to say something then find out I was incorrect.

Reading between the lines here: "There is no plan, so we have to come up with one."

The better question then is "How was this not asked and addressed before the announcement?"
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    I'm sure we'll find out soon, but what's the number of points needed to add a 5* cover? I saw someone post 720 in their summary of the video, but I didn't hear the devs say that. I think they must be going off of that leaky-picture from a while back, which is a bad idea, since that was a test environment.

Also, will at least 1 of the 5* covers in a given color be required to purchase a 5* cover like in the current HP system for 1-4*, or can you buy a cover of a given color without having found one of that color already?

Sounds like a promising idea if the amount of points given out isn't too stingy. Demiurge's history in this game has shown stinginess with rewards though, so my optimism is guarded.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Glass half-empty view of the updated scaling:

It's not going to be easier for the top end (which is what people seem to think they meant). It's going to be harder for the bottom.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Raffoon wrote:
    Also, will at least 1 of the 5* covers in a given color be required to purchase a 5* cover like in the current HP system for 1-4*, or can you buy a cover of a given color without having found one of that color already?

I'm curious about this too. If having one of the covers wasn't required to buy new ones with CP, it'd be a pretty significant change from past practice, and seems like it'd open the door to more significant whaling.
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    Dark Nova wrote:
    As someone due to receive Silver Surfer as a daily reward very soon, I'm glad the issue of scaling is being addressed! Was worried I'd end up hitting the 4* wall of death after just 3 seed matches. Kudos to D3 for giving priority fixing to something that could have ruined the game.

I also welcome the introduction of CP as a progression path. I've been around too long to expect the price of Legendary tokens to remain at 25CP (As IceX said, that is the price "at launch") but at least I know I'll be heading towards something. Legendary tokens are too out of reach for me at the moment, and my fully powered 3* team are just treading water in t50 land. Even earning a TENTH of a CP per day still gives me incentive to keep playing!
    icon_cool.gif

While I'm glad that they're fixing this issue (5* crushing PVE and PVP scaling), but let's just remember that they said at the launch of SS that it wouldn't impact scaling, so I'm still fairly annoyed we even need this 'fix.' For something as game-changing as 5*s, this shouldn't have taken this long to fix or even be broken to begin with...

...sorry if I sound salty, but it's already sounding like they're pulling back on the CPs after the tease, so also annoyed at that (although not surprised)...
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    ICEIX
    I didn't see this question answered anywhere but will unwanted 4 or 5 * covers be able to be sold for CP under the new system?
  • LordXberk wrote:
    While I'm glad that they're fixing this issue (5* crushing PVE and PVP scaling), but let's just remember that they said at the launch of SS that it wouldn't impact scaling, so I'm still fairly annoyed we even need this 'fix.' For something as game-changing as 5*s, this shouldn't have taken this long to fix or even be broken to begin with...

I might have missed the whole 5* rostered screws up PVE scaling confirmation, but I thought if you didn't use him, it actually didn't impact your scaling at all, was this confirmed otherwise in a thread? PVP Matchmaking was confirmed broken from what I understand and that should def be fixed. But if you end up using a 5* in PVE for whatever reason, I would think scaling would be adjusted regardless (i.e. just choose not to use him for PVE, why do so if you don't want his scaling).

This is the main reason why I dislike Heroics since PVE scaling doesn't seem to adjust to what characters I have available to actually use, which more often than not, tend to make these fights a lot harder with what is available (rare cases where selected available heroes are actually great but it really does just seem random), which equates to no enjoyment whatsoever, lol.

I may have read the Q&A differently too, I thought it meant that for folks who intentionally keep an underleveled roster to lower PVE scaling, they are making changes to basically make them not do that. Pretty confusing since they just vaguely mentioned it and didn't add any details though.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Scoregasms wrote:

I might have missed the whole 5* rostered screws up PVE scaling confirmation, but I thought if you didn't use him, it actually didn't impact your scaling at all, was this confirmed otherwise in a thread?

No confirmation from the devs on this, just lots of anecdotes (my own included) of a big jump up after adding one (and a big jump down after selling one, for the brave). In the current PVP, which came after an update, things seem back to normal for me, but I can't speak for others.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    Ludaa wrote:
    Will you guys answer some questions about Command Points? I don't think anyone here wants to go searching online for CP...

Best post goes to .......... icon_e_biggrin.gif
    Had to look it up on urban dictionary...

Yeah, I'm gonna say "no googling" on that.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    Ludaa wrote:
    Will you guys answer some questions about Command Points? I don't think anyone here wants to go searching online for CP...

Best post goes to .......... icon_e_biggrin.gif
    Had to look it up on urban dictionary...

Yeah, I'm gonna say "no googling" on that.

Could've just asked Jared.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is this the place to get clarification on Pheonix CD counter keeping the round alive if she's the last one downed or not?
  • JVReal wrote:
    Is this the place to get clarification on Pheonix CD counter keeping the round alive if she's the last one downed or not?

Ice already confirmed if she's last woman standing, game ends since her team no longer has any active turns available.
  • IceIX wrote:
    dijidiji wrote:

I used to love this tactic back in elementary school. "If you don't say X, then it means Y!"

It's been a long time since anyone older than 8 or 9 bought into this, though.
  • energomash
    energomash Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    DFiPL wrote:

Wow. Just...wow.
    considering that Ice verified it would be 25CP for a pack, it would be more like...

(365/25)*10=146

they would have to create six star versions of characters right around March, further pissing off the player base.