Wondering how many of use are Stuck at 3 star level

Comments

• Tilesmasher
    Tilesmasher Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    I have a kid, a girlfriend and a job, I can either ignore all 3 (and still take months to get 4-5 covers to max out my 2nd 4 star)

Or pay pay pay pay.

You broke your game, It's not fun anymore.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    Omega Red wrote:
    Can you see the paradox here? You want to advance and progress in the game, but you only want to face people at your own level. How are you supposed to improve if you don't want to challenge the guys who are at a superior level?
    Because this game gives you no incentive to try & fail, that's why. If you take on a hard match and lose, you gain no ISO, lose points, and are forced to spend health packs or wait an absurd amount of time for heroes to heal. Hence the players are conditioned to only look for matches they can win.

Contrast with Future Fight. You gain 50 Hero tokens for winning a PVP match. You still get 25 if you lose. And there's none of this "health regeneration" ****; your heroes are always immediately available for another bout. So that does entice you, at least a little, to take a shot at those teams you think may be above your weight class. If you lose, you still get something to make your time at least a little worthwhile. You still lose some points, but unless you're aiming for the very top rewards, that hardly matters. Crystals (HP equivalent) are distributed to the entire participating player group, on a weekly basis.

Oh yeah - FF imposes no "skip tax" either. You can keep reloading your opponent list to your hearts' content until you find a match you want.

MPQ is really far more cutthroat in its competitive model than it could or even should be.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Omega Red wrote:
    Can you see the paradox here? You want to advance and progress in the game, but you only want to face people at your own level. How are you supposed to improve if you don't want to challenge the guys who are at a superior level?

No, because the people getting 4*s back when they were introduced weren't fighting maxed 4* rosters. They were fighting people at their own level. People coming into that stage later don't have that luxury.

Maybe you didn't see the post where Demiurge wanted to hire an analyst to
    Analyze the various game funnels looking for areas where players aren’t having fun or are getting stuck.

So, yeah, shame on me and half of the players on this **** thread for posting why we feel like we're getting stuck and not having fun. We must all be horrible people.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    Omega Red wrote:
    Because this game gives you no incentive to try & fail, that's why. If you take on a hard match and lose, you gain no ISO, lose points, and are forced to spend health packs or wait an absurd amount of time for heroes to heal. Hence the players are conditioned to only look for matches they can win.

Contrast with Future Fight. You gain 50 Hero tokens for winning a PVP match. You still get 25 if you lose. And there's none of this "health regeneration" ****; your heroes are always immediately available for another bout. So that does entice you, at least a little, to take a shot at those teams you think may be above your weight class. If you lose, you still get something to make your time at least a little worthwhile. You still lose some points, but unless you're aiming for the very top rewards, that hardly matters. Crystals (HP equivalent) are distributed to the entire participating player group, on a weekly basis.

Oh yeah - FF imposes no "skip tax" either. You can keep reloading your opponent list to your hearts' content until you find a match you want.

MPQ is really far more cutthroat in its competitive model than it could or even should be.

Seriously? You want to be rewarded for losing? Do you intend to lose that much? For every match you lose you should win what, ten? fifteen, maybe more? It's not relevant. Winning a match in this game is not hard, unless you are reaching well above your level.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    firethorne wrote:
    Even boosted to 240, Punisher, Storm, or Magneto don't do great against match after match of this.

And even if Ii manage, it doesn't account for the slew of teams just like it who have killed punisher and mags in the time it takes unshielded to take down teams 100 levels above. The bottom line is this simply isn't fun.
    Screenshot_20151023_132906_2.jpg

Exit the app, open again, skip some more. I got to 1k without a shield (shielded after I reached 1k) using Cmags/Storm. My 2nd last match was against fistbuster, my last match was against HB/DPX. Purchased no health packs, used only the iso-ap-boosts. Buffed 3*s are good enough to take on 4*s comfortably.
  • firethorne
    Omega Red wrote:
    Seriously? You want to be rewarded for losing? Do you intend to lose that much? For every match you lose you should win what, ten? fifteen, maybe more? It's not relevant. Winning a match in this game is not hard, unless you are reaching well above your level.
    icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

That was my exact point for two pages now! I am only getting matches well above my level!. You can't argue that it is unreasonable for us to want matched at our own level and then turn around and castigate us that were fighting teams too far beyond our level.

firethorne wrote:
  • Omega Red
    firethorne wrote:
    Omega Red wrote:

No, because the people getting 4*s back when they were introduced weren't fighting maxed 4* rosters. They were fighting people at their own level. People coming into that stage later don't have that luxury.

Maybe you didn't see the post where Demiurge wanted to hire an analyst to
    Analyze the various game funnels looking for areas where players aren’t having fun or are getting stuck.

So, yeah, shame on me and half of the players on this tinykitty thread for posting why we feel like we're getting stuck and not having fun. We must all be horrible people.

Facing maxed 4* might be a novelty for you but they have been there since the tier was made relevant with Nick Fury and boosted X-Force. Whales maxed them and transitioning players then used to beat them by Sentry-bombing and Hulk-bombing. Before that what you saw in pvp was guys with maxed 2* and a few good 3* challenging the players with maxed 3* rosters.

If you just completed your 2* roster then you fight level 120 3* players to progress. If you have a level 120 3* roster then you fight maxed 3*, if you have maxed 3* then you fight 4* and so on. It has always been like that. You beat the guys above your level to advance and progress. It's called competition. Your simplistic view of 3* vs. 3* totally ignores the importance of leveling up.
  • firethorne wrote:
    Even boosted to 240, Punisher, Storm, or Magneto don't do great against match after match of this.

And even if Ii manage, it doesn't account for the slew of teams just like it who have killed punisher and mags in the time it takes unshielded to take down teams 100 levels above. The bottom line is this simply isn't fun.

Rarely I lose pvp game. When this happens is because it came cascade to the opponent. Putting the right characters you easily win the R & G 290, Thor 350 and Jean Grey 350.

The problem of the game are the rewards and the time spent.

Want iso? Lightning Round
    HP wants? Play a few days in a row in the top 10 pve.

This is quite simple to achieve.
  • Omega Red
    firethorne wrote:
    Omega Red wrote:

That was my exact point for two pages now! I am only getting matches well above my level!. You can't argue that it is unreasonable for us to want matched at our own level and then turn around and castigate us that were fighting teams too far beyond our level.

firethorne wrote:

If you have a maxed 3* roster then those fights are not well above your level. They're not a walk in the park but they are very winable. The only character I consistently skip is Jean but everyone else is quite beatable with a maxed 3* and taking advantage of boosted character of the week.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    firethorne wrote:
    Omega Red wrote:

firethorne wrote:
    I would take that team on With Cmags and Hood and win going away. Transitioning to 4* is not so much about can you do it, it is more about are you willing and to put in the time and still end the HP to get all the 4* and legendary tokens out there to make it. I regularly hit 1000 with just boosted 3*. I am working on leveling the right 4* and taking them out max. I decided I o take HB to max while the rest of my 4* are around 210.
  • I start to laugh when they say 'work for it'. Playing a week of pve with all the rewards do not need? The same thing is for pvp. But it has the legendary token, some may say. Stay one week grind or spend enough HP in pvp and still come a repeated token? No, thanks. I will not make paper sucker. I will "work for it 'when I have rewards that deserve my' work for it '.
  • SangFroid
    SangFroid Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    I accidentally opened this site from my bookmarks today and came to this thread (stopped visiting the site after anniversary ended).

But in short. The people at the top of the ladder in this game will always keep clamoring the "work for it" / "put in the effort" line because what it comes down is that the more people at the bottom, the easier time they have progressing, because they have tons of fodder to blow through instead of having to play and "compete". It also means more people to fill PvE brackets so they won't have to work as hard themselves. This is the unspoken subtext that they mean when they keep hammering that point over and over again.

Actually this is wrong if everyone across the board was strong and generating a lot of points 1K and 1.3K would become WAY easier and therefore everyone would have an easier time gaining rewards. You can see this during the offseason where many people don't play hard and score their usual points and it becomes way harder on everyone to make 1K or 1.3K. Having a huge player base of people only capable of getting 300pts and then a 5-10% group that can score 1.3K+ is not what anyplayer wants.

Many of the people in the 4* transition group saying work for it had to do exactly that...for two years. The thought that in two months of playing casually you should be hitting 1K and getting a bunch of 4* doesn't make sense for anyone. If you have played for a year and are in the 3* transition it is still feasible, again refer to Hayek's guide I linked in my previous post. There have always been whales, there have always been a top 5% of untouchables in PVP at least in the past 1.5yrs that I have been paying attention. If you play conservatively and only use one hop to 1K you can bank 25Hp every event (+25 if you are in a top 100 Alliance). Add in casual PVE for another 75hp per week and 1 LT. You are coming out at week's end with 3 4* 150Hp and an LT.....You can progress well at this pace you just cant have all the newest toys that people are paying thousands of dollars for right away. Will it take 6months to make the newer 4*'s playable very likely but that is something that is the reality if you are FTP. As an example I am in a top 25PVP and routinely get 1.3K and it still takes me at least 6 months to cover any new 4* release, getting half the rewards puts it at about a year give or take lucky token pulls that's just the reality of it.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    A part of me certainly understands the 'work for it' crowd, and to some extent I agree. But here's the rub: this is a tinykitty GAME! When I play MPQ I want to enjoy myself and burn a little time. Some of us don't have hours to throw at the game every day, let alone in a single sitting. Just because we are casual players shouldn't mean we are condemned to grind-meister hell. Nor should it mean we have to whale it up to progress. If D3 has made a conscience decision to exclude casual players from advancement then steel yourself for MPQ's slow gradual death.

Ps - I hope you realize this is nothing personal Ducky. You just happened to hit on a sore spot.

Show me any online, competitive game where you can reach endgame while being casual without it being ridiculously slow. Endgame is for people who either play a lot or pay alot. It is not meant for people to just be able to pick up the game here and there and accomplish it.
  • You have A kid? Girlfriend? Job? I agree...how could you possibly compete in such a harsh game?

I guess being married with 4 kids and managing/practicing in a medical office is an easier road to manage than one you stated.

I am on day 725 in the daily rewards. During this time, I have put in major time towards this game and have had ups and downs along the way. Most of my progress towards 4* land has been from the time committed to scoring well and doing so consistently. Playing during my lunch break, playing in the early morning before work, playing after the wife and kids go to bed. Some events are more profitable than others and I achieve the cover or token I am shooting for. Other events...I get my behind handed to me. That's the game. I know that. I shouldn't get the same cover that someone else got that scored higher than I did...no matter how badly I wanted it. Maybe I ground my node too early, maybe I jumped into a bracket way too late, maybe I had the wrong team lineup. It happens.

I have put in a lot of time into this game. My wife would probably kill me if there was an actual gameplay timer visible. So...I have built a decent roster in almost two years time. I have stayed up numerous nights trying to get my hands on those 4* covers. Tell me...why should the relatively new player to the game have an easier way to achieve the same covers I fought for along the way? Your opportunities for these covers are already much easier than the road I traveled. If you are so concerned about fairness, tell me...how is that fair?
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    firethorne wrote:
    Omega Red wrote:

firethorne wrote:
    If you have maxed, boosted 3*s, that team is not well above your level. It's above your level, surely, but it's within reach if you bring boosts and play smart. The big numbers look scary, but if you manage the game well you'll net big points late in an event. Or, skip until you get matches that are just 1, unboosted 4*, down that, and take the smaller amount of points.

I had to down teams featuring JG, HB and XFW to get to 1k this morning, and I did it with Patch/Magneto/R&G. When I was done, I let my score float so that others could have some of my points. If more people did the same, then we'd all see more reasonable match ups worth decent points late in events. If all you do is skip the scary 4*s and cry on the forum, you're never going to get anywhere.
  • firethorne
    Again, they're hiring people specifically for the purpose of looking into areas where people feel stuck and aren't having fun. So obviously, people not having fun and feeling stuck is completely invalid... icon_rolleyes.gif

Can I beat teams 100 levels above me? If I boost, 50/50. And, as others have said, it isn't just not winning. It is big penalties for losing. And can I do it in an amount of time where I don't lose just as many points as I win? 30/70.

So, yeah, my bad for thinking that isn't fun, and thinking them hiring someone specifically to solve that problem is relevant. Guess the game should be like Galactus 1.0. 40 page threads of how parts of the game isn't fun for them weren't legit. Those people just weren't working hard enough to be in the top 1%.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    firethorne wrote:
    So obviously, people not having fun and feeling stuck is completely invalid.

So, yeah, my bad

Those people just weren't working hard enough to be in the top.

Nice! See I'm glad you understand it now. Cool the forum helped you out.
    :thumbs up:
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    Remember how the forums used to moan at every new char release with a 7 day pve? Because for most, it mean a repetitive, depressing slog for a single cover.

For me, the transition from 3* to 4* feels like that, only instead of a periodic 7 day pve, the depressing slog has spread itself across the entire game. Shield hop and avoid jeanbuster and fistbuster every pvp! Use 20 health packs on the DDQ 4* node that's "not for 3* transitioners (lol)"! Grind pve! Grind ALLLLL the pves!
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    My favorite part of this game was the prologue. I wish they would invest in another multiple chaptered story like that where I can progress on building up 3 stars and even some 4s without having to go thru all the pve and pvp grind. Just another fun story based take my time on adventure that isn't dependent upon scheduling my life around the game to achieve decent progression and rewards.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    smkspy wrote:
    My favorite part of this game was the prologue. I wish they would invest in another multiple chaptered story like that where I can progress on building up 3 stars and even some 4s without having to go thru all the pve and pvp grind. Just another fun story based take my time on adventure that isn't dependent upon scheduling my life around the game to achieve decent progression and rewards.

May I suggest the console version?