Survey Time: Would you recommend this game to a friend?

Comments

• optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    corrupti0N wrote:
    I gave it a 5.

The games addicting as hell but thats if you've put the time and money to get a decent roster. I love the mechanics/characters so that's why I keep coming back.

But I would never recommend it to a friend unless they had no job/relationships/pet/life/other hobbies. To catch up to where the "meta" is you're looking at a minimum 6 month grind and even then you'll be perpetually behind the latest and greatest thing. And thats assuming they pay to get roster slots.

I would also not recommend the game because the devs have been stingy as hell. ISO trickles down way too slowly. I used to play pretty hardcore and then I realized I had no ISO to level my fully covered 3*s (now its getting to the 4*s).

They really need to evaluate the reward structure and the rate of how much ISO we're getting. I feel like the devs read the data they gather much more differently than the overall user experience.
    I think this accurately states my opinion.

If someone actually asked me whether they should play this game or not I'd answer with a form of that paragraph and then conclude with this:

"All that said, go play Marvel Future Fight instead. It's a hell of a lot more fun and doesn't leave you feeling like the game is rubbing your face in the dirt to make you spend big bucks."

I can really feel my enjoyment of MPQ waning. I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to last now.
  • Norrin Radd
    Norrin Radd Posts: 65 Match Maker
    When I started playing almost 2 years ago, I would recommend this game to anyone. While the game has become better, having to start today and seeing how many characters and how difficult it is to build even one 3 or 4 star would really turn off a lot of casual players. They have really screwed themselves with the 5 star tier and how quickly they started putting out 4 stars. It takes to much time everyday to keep up, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, but maybe one day I can end my addiction.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Funny thing is, when I was just starting and only playing the prologue, I was telling friends of mine about it. Even got my GF addicted to it, but now past the prologue only being able to do pves and pvps that require so much time I wouldn't want to tell anymore. The effort and frustration once you complete the prologue takes a lot of thr fun out of it.
  • HxiiiK
    HxiiiK Posts: 195 Tile Toppler
    I voted a 3, I don't think I can recommend this game, in good faith, to a friend. It starts out fun then it just becomes an uphill climb almost instantaneously with no end in sight. Game is stingy with ISO, and it becomes a time sink very very fast. Roster slots are expensive and hp is no easier to come by either, at least not at the rate in which you need to expand your roster with all the new releases
    So no, unless the early game becomes easier, and by extension, the end game portion, I will not think of recommending this to even my worst enemy

Yes, I do still come back as I am firmly in the 4* transition. Like everyone else here, I've been playing for almost 2 years now and I am wayyy too deep to just walk away
  • The forum is probably not a good indicator of a sample population. People that frequent the forums enough to vote are probably more invested, and more "in the know" than the average player. For this reason, I think the results here will differ substantially from the global results they're receiving from the general populace. That said, if we DID consider this forum survey to be something like a NPS (net promoter score), a metric that entire departments and businesses hinge employment and success on, the results will likely demand some level of improvement.

I voted a 6, which is the highest rank in the "detractor" range. I like components of this game, and I do play, but I'm not sure I would subject a friend or family member to the woes that come along with the game after 1-3 months.
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    I might recommend this to my enemy less time to do things that make them my enemy, but I doubt they would take the recommendation from me.
  • Hey look! There's a shiny new contest to distract you from the anniversary angst.

I'll recommend this to all my friend now. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Mazza
    Mazza Posts: 41
    I've been playing for a few months and struggling with 3 and 4* and I can only imagine it being harder now. I don't think I'd recommend it unless I know it's someone who will put the time and effort in.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I voted 8 on the in-game survey and 7 on this survey. I suppose my real rating for recommendation is 7.5.

I enjoy the bloody hell out of this game. I play for hours a day and look forward to it, for the most part. My friends are avid gamers, so recommending it is pretty easy for them. The 7.5 is reflective of the reservations I have about most of the things other people have scored less for: Difficulty of advancing specific characters, release rate of new characters, miserly and/or grossly inadequate reward structure, lack of clearly communicated vision.

The thing is, like most of us here, the good is good enough to keep us all coming back and that merits a pretty good rating. Match-3 gameplay really jives with me for no reason I can pinpoint, but there it is all the same. More importantly, I grew up on Marvel comics but haven't read any in years and years. Here comes MPQ and it has not only rekindled my interest in the stories, but has educated me on a great many things that have happened in the universe since I stopped collecting/reading. Now I can more easily share that with my kids.

The game is far from perfect and could do with a fair few immediate adjustments. At it's core, though, it's a really good thing. So, 7.5.
  • Sandwichboy
    Sandwichboy Posts: 193 Tile Toppler
    Rather telling that the majority of the ratings are 5 or below.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rather telling that the majority of the ratings are 5 or below.

Because no-one wants more competition for their rewards!
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    + great license
    + addictive gameplay

- takes too much effort to win needed covers
    - winning/getting covers/leveling characters are punished, not rewarded
    - bracket luck beats effort too often and too easily. (Spot 3 in a hard PVE bracket means you put in a ton of effort, but people playing an easy bracket win the same or more with a fraction of your score and effort)
    - winning something often means winning a chance at something. you can spend a lot of time and effort on an event and win stuff that's not useable or just bad. So often a win becomes bitter immediately when you open the won token.
    - devs like to give the impression that you need to pay to compete instead of encouraging to pay for more fun
    - free stuff is too little too slow
    - no new content except characters that seem relatively easy to make and mean more money for the devs .

the plus side still outweighs the negatives for me but i think the potential for frustration is only growing the longer you play. Voted 4.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Zero. This is the first FTP (/PTW) game I've ever done, and it will be the last. I only got into it because I loved the first three Puzzle Quests. The only thing that has kept me in it is the comradery from my great alliance-mates, Line folks, and forum folks.

I cannot imagine starting this game as a newbie today. They may as well put the sticker price "$100" on there, which is about what you'll need to get the roster slots for all the characters you'll quickly accumulate.
  • Malcrof
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Zero. This is the first FTP (/PTW) game I've ever done, and it will be the last. I only got into it because I loved the first three Puzzle Quests. The only thing that has kept me in it is the comradery from my great alliance-mates, Line folks, and forum folks.

I cannot imagine starting this game as a newbie today. They may as well put the sticker price "$100" on there, which is about what you'll need to get the roster slots for all the characters you'll quickly accumulate.

i have a F2P account on my tablet.. who is now up to 30 roster slots.. the #1 thing that needs to be in a noob guide, or advice to noobs.. is Do Not open tokens if you don't have a spot for a new char..

it is a great time to start. I got a 4 cover Devil Dino on it now.. the highest level char, and 2 other 2 cover 4*s, and i am just waltzing through the prologue in spare time.. with no worries. Match damage takes care of everything. Loads of HP / ISO to be had in there while i build a core 2* roster to take on DDQ with.

As long as you give your friends good advice, i would 100% tell them to start playing.. if you say "hey, play this game" then tell them nothing about the intricacies, then you are just being a (insert expletive here). This poll is about recommending to friends, not about the random person downloading it for the first time. So if you tell a friend to play, if they are actually a friend, you will be letting them know about alliances, roster spots, etc... from the start.
  • Malcrof wrote:
    SnowcaTT wrote:

i have a F2P account on my tablet.. who is now up to 30 roster slots.. the #1 thing that needs to be in a noob guide, or advice to noobs.. is Do Not open tokens if you don't have a spot for a new char..

it is a great time to start. I got a 4 cover Devil Dino on it now.. the highest level char, and 2 other 2 cover 4*s, and i am just waltzing through the prologue in spare time.. with no worries. Match damage takes care of everything. Loads of HP / ISO to be had in there while i build a core 2* roster to take on DDQ with.

As long as you give your friends good advice, i would 100% tell them to start playing.. if you say "hey, play this game" then tell them nothing about the intricacies, then you are just being a (insert expletive here). This poll is about recommending to friends, not about the random person downloading it for the first time. So if you tell a friend to play, if they are actually a friend, you will be letting them know about alliances, roster spots, etc... from the start.

Do you think you will sell that dino? since there is no plans for him to be in pve or being an essential
  • Handoftheking26
    Handoftheking26 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    I said 4, which is a bummer. When i started i would have said much higher. Progress is slow if there is any at all, and rewards are difficult to attain and often not worth the effort. It has become apparent that they are pushing this game towards "pay up or your team sucks" mode. And that is too bad. I never minded pay players being ahead of me, but now I have zero chance of ever having an elite roster unless I leave my family and schedule my life around MPQ events.

P.S. Would have maybe given a 5 if it weren't for the release of 4,000 wolverines....
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof wrote:
    SnowcaTT wrote:

Do you think you will sell that dino? since there is no plans for him to be in pve or being an essential

On the tablet, no.. he is destroying the prologue lol.
  • I gave it 2. This addiction is mine and mine alone to bear. I won't burden my friends with it. Unless they're curiously stupid enough to insist on knowing. My enemies though? I'd heartily recommend MPQ to them. After all, I hate those guys... icon_twisted.gif

I do continue playing because I love Marvel and Puzzle Quest game mechanics like so many others here. And I've already invested lots of time and money on this game. But way too often I feel that this game doesn't actually have that good investment/fun ratio. Couple more disappointments of 2nd Anniversary scale (the infamous Galactus round 1...) and I'm out.
  • aaronrodg
    aaronrodg Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    I give it 7 as I don't played it much right now but so far I enjoyed this game.....
  • Phillipes
    Phillipes Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    It is contrary - my friend are recommending me to stop and delete this game...