Survey Time: Would you recommend this game to a friend?

DrStrange-616
DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
edited June 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Thought it would be fun to mirror the in-game survey.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    i give it a 0
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:
    i give it a 0

Then why are you still playing it? If I hated a game so much that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, I sure as hell wouldn't be playing it myself. There are much more fun ways to be a masochist.

I gave it a 5 myself. I like the core gameplay and collecting covers, but the lack of new content other than characters (and the new events that do come out are buggy and poorly balanced) and progression being a bit too slow bot in terms of acquiring covers and acquiring ISO makes it a game that I wouldn't recommend to everyone. To me, it feels like this game is only fun if you're playing it either very casually or pretty hardcore, and that it's too often pretty frustrating for the players in between.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    I gave it a 5 as well. Aside from my own issues with MPQ, I just don't really go around recommending games to people. And this one is only ever going to appeal to a narrow, self-selecting crowd. I mean, if someone came to me and said, "I'd really like to give my life over to a super hero themed puzzle game," I would assume they'd already tried google before seeking my advice.
  • Carnage_78
    Carnage_78 Posts: 304 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2015
    I gave it a 7! icon_cool.gif

I really like playing the game & also socializing with my alliance on Line hence my higher score on this question but my reluctance at recommending it to someone else & driving my score down as a result would be the time investment needed to actually get somewhere in the game before making it truly fun (transitioning into the game from scratch requires some dedication).

This game is not for everyone, especially if someone wants to compete & perform. For the fun of it or as a time killer I would recommend it to most anyone, no problem but playing to get somewhere requires a gamer type personality to go through that growth pain I would say otherwise it will be perceived as an endless frustration of very small steps towards building a decent roster.

P.S. I second the motion of if you've voted on this in the lower tier of the answers then I don't see why you would still be playing.

EDIT: MPQ has some issues that we cope with (like repetitive content & other things that annoys us all) but overall I am liking the direction they've gone, particularly over the last few months.
  • i just wanted to say that most of the active forum users joined this game one or two years ago when there were much fewer characters.

That we still like the game, doesnt mean we will recommend it. Since it is MUCH MORE difficult to start as a new player now than it was one or two years ago.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    I gave it a 4. Overall, I think the game is still solid, but I can't really imagine trying to convince someone new to jump in right now. There's such a big gap between the 1* and 2* level of the game and even the middle, let alone the top. There's 40 3* and even with the great DDQ, it's still going to take a 6 months to a year to get a handful of good characters covered and leveled. And then you run into the fact that there's 20 4* and more on the way. I imagine by the time you can even get in on the 4* level, the 5* will be more fleshed out and 6* on the horizon.

I get the game needs to introduce new characters to keep everyone from getting bored, but that **** is intimidating to a new player. Not to mention it is very time consuming since everything is a competition. Even PvE.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2015
    I have it a 0, not because I don't like the game, but because a beginner should not be starting this game without knowing that they may have to drop some serious cash. If someone started this game today, they will get into 2 to 3 star transition within 4 months I would think, but with the amount of 4 stars that are being dropped, they will always be at least 2 steps behind the current meta. There just isn't a way to catch up, which wouldn't be a problem if this game was linear, but it's competitive and you are constantly fighting people 2 stages above you for the same rewards.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    I voted 5 as I enjoy the core play and i'm a lifelong marvel zombie but dislike a lot about the game itself. Lack of new content, scaling issues, the ftp model, roster slot prices, I could go on and on.

My son plays now and again. He loves marvel too and that's why he wants to like it (and he wants to be like his daddy) but it's just not fun for a casual player like other games are. His friends are the same.This game tries to appeal to too wide a group and ends up not doing any of it particularly well.
  • Carnage_78
    Carnage_78 Posts: 304 Mover and Shaker
    grunth13 wrote:
    There just isn't a way to catch up, which wouldn't be a problem if this game was linear, but it's competitive and you are constantly fighting people 2 stages above you for the same rewards.
    My thoughts on this is that brackets are filled with players that don't even fight for the placement rewards but are only going for progression like myself & keeping them out of the hands of the players that need it most, the star.pngstar.pngstar.png transitioning players.

I don't need any star.pngstar.pngstar.png covers apart for 2 icon_ragnarok.pnggreenflag.png so I am always selling my placement rewards for iso8.png when it could be better served on someone else's roster. Something should be rectified here so that I get the iso8.png I want but someone else ends up getting the actual covers.
  • I don't recommend the game to my friends. The game does a decent job of making I seem like progression is decent but once you enter pvp it becomes painfully apparent that two star players don't get to compete and progress. Three star rewards are largely taken by players who have no need for them. Iso income has stagnated since ddq despite 4 stars are now being released at the same rate three stars were. Four stars are essentials in pve which means low tier players need tons of roster slots and buttloads of luck to get them.

So yes, the game is pretty good for me. I have an almost completely covered 3 star roster with a few four stars the are pvp viable. However, any of my friends who would like a chance at the competitive aspect of the game wouldn't enjoy it. The game continues tog et worse and worse for low tier players outside of casual play.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I gave it a five, when I joined six months ago, there weren't many 4 stars, so gap didn't seem that large. Yet from once the 2 to 3 star transition sets in, suddenly all these new 4 stars were constantly being introduced and now 5 stars. I can't even say I'm 3 star trasitioning, more like 3 and 4 star transitioning at the same time and that is super frustrating. Plus the extreme micro transactions even for time like roster slots and junk rewards like 40 iso or 100 iso for beating a node is pure punishment. If I hadn't been able to do DDQ consistently I probably would have given up.

And then there is the lingering scaling issue of being penalized if you have a lower tier roster and luck upon a 5 star character. I feel sorry for any new player that would complete a pve and get a $$ from a LT only to have their destroyed for luckily upon a golden ticket. This is one of the biggest new drawbacks to the game imo.
  • Der_Lex wrote:
    slidecage wrote:
    i give it a 0

Then why are you still playing it? If I hated a game so much that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, I sure as hell wouldn't be playing it myself. There are much more fun ways to be a masochist.

I gave it a 5 myself. I like the core gameplay and collecting covers, but the lack of new content other than characters (and the new events that do come out are buggy and poorly balanced) and progression being a bit too slow bot in terms of acquiring covers and acquiring ISO makes it a game that I wouldn't recommend to everyone. To me, it feels like this game is only fun if you're playing it either very casually or pretty hardcore, and that it's too often pretty frustrating for the players in between.

Generous you are. You listed 3/4 or more of game play as being buggy and lacking. Sounds more like a 3.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Splarne wrote:
    Der_Lex wrote:
    slidecage wrote:
    i give it a 0

Generous you are. You listed 3/4 or more of game play as being buggy and lacking. Sounds more like a 3.

3, to me, is irreparably broken and not worth playing. I think the points i've mentioned leave room for improvement (and a lot of room too), but that improvement is still possible. The second run of Galactus was a good example of that.

There's also a big difference between personal enjoyment and recommending the game to new players. I think that most lacking parts of the game right now are the 2-3* and 3-4* transitions, which is why I would be careful about who I recommend the game to, but as someone who's solidly in 4* land now and in a top 100 alliance of incredibly fun people, I'm personally not affected by those problems.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Der_Lex wrote:
    slidecage wrote:
    i give it a 0

Then why are you still playing it?
    I'm sure there are some addicts who'd give crack a 0 too... not really hard to understand.
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    I actually never recommended it to a friend. In fact I actually warn my friends whenever they inquire about the game. I would only recommend it to someone who's both a Marvel fan and a Puzzle Quest fan, even then I would tell them about the economic model and their "This too shall pass" customer policy. I could see myself recommending it to someone who would have a completely casual approach and who enjoys'Marvel and games.

Would i recommend it ? 1/10
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I gave the survey a 5. If I could give a friend my roster within 3 months I would give this game a 10. The issue with recommending this game to friends today is I don't see how people transition from 2-3* in any easy way without spending a solid amount of $$. I have been able to stay FTP because I started almost 2 yrs ago and it was a challenge to get to 3* land then. with all the characters and leveling costs I would hate telling a friend yea you won't be able to compete in PVP for top 25 until you have been around for a year + or drop $100 on the right 4*. You will be grinding PVE forever and you will have 4* clogging your roster that you can't use. I am impressed by anyone who makes it to a really solid 3* in under a year now.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards

"Too much of a grind to make progress. Not enough new content other than characters. Miserly with rewards."
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2015
    Shenanigans
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    I'd love to sell my account and just forget about the game. I'm too deep into it and I just want to go back to casually playing board games on my phone. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Philly79
    Philly79 Posts: 422 Mover and Shaker
    I gave it a 2...too many issues and not enough compensation when the issues are on their end. Drop rates suck and the devs are just plain stingy with DIGITAL CONTENT. It literally costs nothing to drop a cover here or there. Drop rates are so low as to force people into buying covers, the much anticipated anniversary was a major let down and riddled with issues and their reply/ compensation was less than sub-par. 5k iso for the double iso screw up? I never really payed attention until this week and as of the time of this writing I have already earned over 25k, in case you did not know 5k iso will get you about 2 levels for higher up 3's & 4's...two anniversary tokens for the 50+ I cashed in? Thanks for the 500 iso I got for the two 2*s. How about the 5 event tokens I have earned for the deadpool vs pve? Oh yeah thanks for the 1250 iso from the 5 2*s I pulled.

Honestly all of the threads, rants, complaints, and comments that came in over the last three weeks, that should be enough to warrant NOT putting out a recommendation poll, fix what is broken, test the product before going live, and stop being so damn stingy. Not sure how a new player could ever compete with all of the maxed rosters, constant influx of new 4*s (before most people even have a small percent covered), and the introduction of 5*s. My wallet is already closed but unless some major changes are made I would not positively recommend this game to anyone without bringing up the negatives, not to mention seriously considering cutting my losses and walking as this developer really seems to have no concern for player retention...nuff said