So, no anniversary LRs or Double Iso? Dev Update

Comments

• I'm sitting on 1.5 million ISO. I like to think I earn a decent amount of ISO a week. Often finish top 5 in PVP, and do a few LRs a week. Play some PVE (play all of them since the legendary tokens).
    For LRs, if I hit the seeds when they start I get about 10 fights on seeds then do a couple real ones and that will often get me top 50-100 even if I stop just after getting the 250 point reward. If I do that four times I feel like that's a lot. If I only get the starter seeds I'll play 3 fights, break 100 and quit it. If I don't get seeds, I usually skip the event. I'm sure I play more than the "average" player. Not necessarily the average forum hardcore player who is grinding out a ton of ISO and might be in the high end of that 5%. But I'd say I make a few grand for 30-50 fights in the average LR week.

There are some hardcore LR grinders in my alliance. I don't think even they play 15 out of the 24 that are up each week. That's leaving a total of 18 hours not playing MPQ in a 48 hour period, and playing on a 2 hour timer for the other 30 hours. If that's honestly something you're doing every week, getting "only" another 5k ISO might not be the biggest problem you've got going. And this is from someone who admittedly plays more than I should.

I'm fine with 5k ISO for doing one LR fight in 2 days. Means I can take the rest of them off and not worry about it at all.
  • Looking forwards to the next apology.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mawtful wrote:
    fmftint wrote:
    also would've been nice LR to have anniversary tokens instead of standards
    they were supposed to have them last year but that got omitted by mistake as well

Obviously they were caught by surprise - I mean, it's not as though the anniversary happens at the same time ever year. There's no way they could have planned for it, we should be thankful that they had all these Anniversary branded art assets on hand.
    They got their cake and trampoline party right. Who cares about the customer
  • pmorcs
    pmorcs Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    iso, schmiso. 20-person brackets was the real gold last year.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    5k iso is more than fine by me. Sure, I might have played more had there been 2x iso but now I can just get about what I get from a normal LR week with none of the effort.
  • pmorcs wrote:
    iso, schmiso. 20-person brackets was the real gold last year.

More accurately, the Placement HP and tokens were the literal gold.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Yeah, somehow a small-to-moderate sum of ISO just isn't doing it for me.

They're making gestures now, but they're so small. They need to do something BIG to win back the players with how royally they F-d this whole Anniversary up.
  • Raffoon wrote:

They're making gestures now, but they're so small. They need to do something BIG to win back the players with how royally they F-d this whole Anniversary up.

Have they ever given away this much Iso for anything ever?

Like, the only single Iso load in the game I can think of you can get is the 10K in the anniversary token that's a fraction of a percent odds.

...ignoring how much Iso you ACTUALLY need for tons of levelling, of course. This is the biggest Isoload I've ever seen.
  • Raffoon
    colwag wrote:
    Raffoon wrote:

Have they ever given away this much Iso for anything ever?

Like, the only single Iso load in the game I can think of you can get is the 10K in the anniversary token that's a fraction of a percent odds.

...ignoring how much Iso you ACTUALLY need for tons of levelling, of course. This is the biggest Isoload I've ever seen.

Just because it's better than terrible doesn't make it good.
  • Raffoon wrote:

More like "Just because it's the best ever doesn't make it good."
  • Raffoon
    colwag wrote:
    Raffoon wrote:

More like "Just because it's the best ever doesn't make it good."

Agreed!

There's an ISO shortage that the devs have even admitted to. The whole rate of ISO is terribly poor.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thats nearly $7 worth of iso8.png given to everyone who plays a LR this rotation, accounting must be pulling their hair out
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint wrote:
    Thats nearly $7 worth of iso8.png given to everyone who plays a LR this rotation, accounting must be pulling their hair out

Ha, yeah it's always been baffling to me how much ISO costs in terms of real money. I can spend $100 for enough ISO to raise one of my guys about 30 levels? Where do I sign up? Has anyone other than a completely new person spent real money for ISO?
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    They forgot?! People are ready to burn the developers in effigy for screwing up the anniversary, and they forgot?!
    jiFfM.jpg
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Orion wrote:
    Wow, ok. So I vastly overestimated how people play the lightning rounds. So then what I have to say is this:

Are you guys crazy? Do you know how lucrative the lightning rounds are for farming ISO? If you can enter the event right when it starts, you can play 6-9 seed teams and rack up 1500 ISO easy like I said. If you just do that 3 times over 2 days, then you can get that 5k ISO. With the insane cost of leveling characters, this is easily the best way in the game to get tons of iso.

Even if you don't enter right from the beginning, you can still sometimes get 3 seed teams that will earn you almost 1k ISO. It's a no-brainer to at least try. Heck, even 1 fight and win gets you 140 ISO for progression, the amount for the win, and 70 for placing on the leaderboard at the end. So guaranteed 300 or more ISO for 1 fight every 2 hours.

Eh, you can get almost 5k Iso daily from DDQ without slaving yourself to be at your phone at exactly one point in time, several times per day. Obviously, if you can do that AND play DDQ (and PVE, PVP and whatever else) it's even better. But I think that even if I could play MPQ all day to achieve that, I wouldn't.

While we have ICeIX's ear on the matter of LRs, may we ask you why was it decided against 20-man LRs? That was like the most awaited anniversary feature along double Iso.
  • Yeah, there is a pretty huge in general iso shortage, but their hands are probably tied in regards to how much they can inflate it in general.

Like, even if "Add a zero to everything" would be pretty fair, hard to justify a ten times increase to the suits, I suppose.

That's what the biggest junk we got was a "30% lower leveling costs" update. Not enough, and the problem gets worse because they constantly have to release new characters, but that's the pace they are allowed to work at.
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    IceIX wrote:
    Wanted to give an update on this:

So, it was an error on our part as to why the Lightning Rounds this week did not offer double Iso. It was intended to, but the switch simply didn't get flipped and the mistake wasn't caught ahead of time. We definitely apologize for that.

Unfortunately, rerunning the event with it turned on isn't as simple as taking it down, flipping the switch, and putting it back up again. So we can't just "enable it".

What we're going to do instead is provide a single lump sum to anyone who plays in this set of Lightning Rounds that works out to be about what the top 5% of LR players would normally gain from rewards. Basically, 95% of the user base will make out like bandits to varying degrees, 3-4% will possibly lose a couple hundred compared to a normal LR set, and a few players at the very top end of every LR will make a bit less than double what they'd get normally. This bonus works out to a nice square 5K Iso-8. We're planning on sending this bonus out once this set of Lightning Rounds is completed.

Thanks - but why not simply run a double LR on the next available week you can make the switch??? As my wife would say, "you don't have buy me flowers ONLY on our anniversary..."
    Running a double ISO LR in the next couple weeks would be simpler than what you describe above and would reward the dedicated better (as for me, I'm a lazy LR player so I will come out ahead with your plan, but still).
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    IceIX wrote:
    Wanted to give an update on this:

So, it was an error on our part as to why the Lightning Rounds this week did not offer double Iso. It was intended to, but the switch simply didn't get flipped and the mistake wasn't caught ahead of time. We definitely apologize for that.

Unfortunately, rerunning the event with it turned on isn't as simple as taking it down, flipping the switch, and putting it back up again. So we can't just "enable it".

What we're going to do instead is provide a single lump sum to anyone who plays in this set of Lightning Rounds that works out to be about what the top 5% of LR players would normally gain from rewards. Basically, 95% of the user base will make out like bandits to varying degrees, 3-4% will possibly lose a couple hundred compared to a normal LR set, and a few players at the very top end of every LR will make a bit less than double what they'd get normally. This bonus works out to a nice square 5K Iso-8. We're planning on sending this bonus out once this set of Lightning Rounds is completed.

Oh - and if you are looking into goofs, can you also look at this one - an ACTUAL anniversary event that is not giving out double ISO aka "I just beat the Avengers and all I got was 20 lousy ISO (shoulda been a treasure trove of 40 ISO)."

viewtopic.php?style=1&f=9&t=33845
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:
    Orion wrote:
    So does that make me part of the .5%? Because I'm being conservative and your bonus is way way too low.
    If those numbers are correct, that'd put you in the top .7% of all Lightning Round players. So close, yeah. Very very few players play 90 LR matches an LR set in the middle of PVE, Versus, DDQ, etc.

Apparently I'm in the top 1%...I expect to get 30K-50K (I never really track it) ISO each week out of them.

The bigger problem is once again we have many, many fewer chances to get DD - who is only given out once a year.
  • Esheris
    Esheris Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    Does anyone else want D3 to restart the anniversery over? So then we can face the more winable Galactus, double iso LR's, and the better draw rates for 3*/4*.

I don't want them to have to send us "Sorry" gifts, I want to earn everything!
This discussion has been closed.