**** Iceman (All New X-Men) ****

Options

Comments

• Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My biggest issue with this method of commenting on the Unknown, then populating the thread with new abilities is that you have to skip past 9 pages of speculation and garbage to find some useful commentary.
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Man, I would love they make a lower rarity of Iceman with snow like appearance (1st comic appearance)
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What happened to (Winter Wonderland)??
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I figured I should use what was likely the real name.
  • moogles85
    moogles85 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Options
  • Clintman wrote:
    My biggest issue with this method of commenting on the Unknown, then populating the thread with new abilities is that you have to skip past 9 pages of speculation and garbage to find some useful commentary.
    To be fair, on Internet people usually skip directly to the last page anyway.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    His powers seem to be all about blue, and anti-red. All ice, no fire.

Take that.

But i want Howard.

Ice-man or Surfer (anti galactus for the red)

called them both (check page 1)! Do i win?
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    His powers seem to be all about blue, and anti-red. All ice, no fire.

Take that.

But i want Howard.

Ice-man or Surfer (anti galactus for the red)

called them both (check page 1)! Do i win?

Pretty sure 90% of the players on the forums correctly guessed Ice-Man, including myself on another thread lol.

I am a bit disappointed that not only did we correctly guess it was Ice-Man but it's been officially announced (though somewhat hidden), yet we still do not have any additional information on his abilities.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The track record for characters that are balanced right up to release is mixed.

If seems to have been in flux right up to release and he was all wired (seems like he was a 4* turned 3* and then had to be needed anyway).

Prof x. Turned out to be very usable (if rather squsihy) despite a pre release nerf.

Quicksilver was a disaster, needed to oblivion between announcement and release.

Ragnarok was a similar disaster, with his redesign delayed because it was too powerful, and then clearly released half-baked and actually making him worse.

Stakes described powered sounded very good. Hope it's not so good that it gets needed before we even get to see it. . .
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:

If seems to have been in flux right up to release and he was all wired (seems like he was a 4* turned 3* and then had to be needed anyway).

Prof x. Turned out to be very usable (if rather squsihy) despite a pre release nerf.

Quicksilver was a disaster, needed to oblivion between announcement and release.

Ragnarok was a similar disaster, with his redesign delayed because it was too powerful, and then clearly released half-baked and actually making him worse.

Stakes described powered sounded very good. Hope it's not so good that it gets needed before we even get to see it. . .
    He will really depend on his green damage. Going Purple to Green powers could be devistating. Then again if green does not do enough damage for the blue that is out there he will suck.
    I think the issue with him right now is will he create a winfinity with mystique and profesor X. If Purple creates blue and mystique then creates more purple that could be a dangerous pairing with the Profesor
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    I think that was why mystique's blue became a 4 match power.

But yeah I suspect that balancing that risk is a main reason that his stats are still not released.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

He will really depend on his green damage. Going Purple to Green powers could be devistating. Then again if green does not do enough damage for the blue that is out there he will suck.
    I think the issue with him right now is will he create a winfinity with mystique and profesor X. If Purple creates blue and mystique then creates more purple that could be a dangerous pairing with the Profesor

I don't see why they would care about that at this point, we already have a winfinite combo in Prof X, SW, and GSBW. I think the only time they care about a winfinite combo is if it is a lower level one that anyone can get. A 4 star winfinite isn't as big of a deal to them, as a 4 star should be more powerful. Also, throwing in a 3 star to make the winfinite work means no use in PvP.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    Updated OP with prerelease stats.
  • notamutant
    Options
    Whiteout - 12 AP
    Iceman unleashes a tempest of ice and snow across the battlefield, devastating everything in its path and causing local weathermen to question their credentials. Deals 365 damage to the enemy team, plus 32 damage for every Blue tile on the board (to a max of 15 tiles).
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Deals 511 damage plus 45 damage per Blue tile.
    Level 3: Deals 657 damage plus 58 damage per Blue tile.
    Level 4: Deals 949 damage plus 83 damage per Blue tile.
    Level 5: Deals 1533 damage plus 134 damage per Blue tile.
    Max Level
    Level 3: Deals 1303 damage plus 115 per Blue tile
    Level 4: Deals 1882 damage plus 166 per Blue tile
    Level 5: Deals 3041 damage plus 269 per Blue tileUncanny Snowman - 6 AP
    (Build a Snowman) Bobby stuns the target for 2 turns and places a 4-turn Countdown tile. While this tile is on the board, this power becomes Punch a Snowman
    (Punch a Snowman) Iceman deals 457 damage. Destroys all of Iceman's Countdown tiles.
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Build: Stuns for 3 turns. Punch: Deals 548 damage.
    Level 3: Build: Stuns for 4 turns. Punch: Deals 594 damage.
    Level 4: Punch: Deals 1737 damage.
    Level 5: Punch: Deals 4022 damage.
    Max Level
    Level 3: Build: Stuns for 4 turns. Punch: Deals 1177 damage.
    Level 4: Build: Stuns for 4 turns. Punch: Deals 3439 damage.
    Level 5: Build: Stuns for 4 turns. Punch: Deals 7964 damage.Cold As Ice - 8 AP
    Iceman whips around the battlefield on his ice slides, chilling his opponents and making them wish they'd brought a sweater. Transforms 4 Red tiles into Blue tiles, then drains the enemy team of 2 Red AP.
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Iceman drains 3 Red AP from the enemy team.
    Level 3: Iceman converts 5 Red tiles to Blue tiles.
    Level 4: Iceman drains 4 Red AP from the enemy team.
    Level 5: Iceman converts 7 Red tiles to Blue tiles.

I think 5/5/3 is a no brainer here. The extra 1 red AP drain and 2 more blue tiles isn't worth the huge loss in damage potential from his green and blue that are gained at the 5th cover. There is only one other 4 star with a powerful green, and that is Jean Grey, who has the exact same colors as Iceman. You wouldn't use them together, or if you did, you would use Jean's purple instead of Iceman's.
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    Options
    the falloff for his blue is too insane for me to consider anything other than 5/5/3.
  • Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Could be a good pair with Kingpin: collect 18 blue and 12 black, cast IM blue, KP black, blue, black, then blue and you've stunned the enemy team for 4 turns plus damage to 2. Almost full rainbow too just need a red.
  • Vhailorx
    edited September 2015
    Options
    First impression:

Green joins several other expensive 4* nukes that can scale up quite high, but are also contigent and thus harder to build around. Respectable though, like thing's green, with the aoe more than making up for the lost boardshake.

Blue is awesome. It's almost as good as iron first purple (the stuns is better, but the ap acceleration is missing.

Purple is like imhb's blue, perfectly useful, but not on par with the other two powers. Also, like cyclops, he benefits from having his preferred color on the board, so fewer tiles may actually be preferable (fewer resulting cascades).

As for pairing with KP, almost any pairing is good with caveat "if they just got 30 ap on these colors."
  • notamutant
    Options
    I was just thinking about his usefulness, and realized trying to get AP for his blue directly weakens the power of his green, so it is kind of a weird situation where you have to choose if you would rather a more powerful green with potentially 7k team damage, or being able to stun and do 7k single damage. Green is obviously more powerful when at max potential, to the tune of 14k more damage for the same AP amount. Makes me wonder if sacrificing his blue and maximizing his green damage with a 5 cover purple might be worth it, and using another blue user. Maybe Thoress, so you can get yellow and red in there. Got a high single target stun and spike damage along with the AOE from green Iceman. Just need a black user.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    notamutant wrote:
    I was just thinking about his usefulness, and realized trying to get AP for his blue directly weakens the power of his green, so it is kind of a weird situation where you have to choose if you would rather a more powerful green with potentially 7k team damage, or being able to stun and do 7k single damage. Green is obviously more powerful when at max potential, to the tune of 14k more damage for the same AP amount. Makes me wonder if sacrificing his blue and maximizing his green damage with a 5 cover purple might be worth it, and using another blue user. Maybe Thoress, so you can get yellow and red in there. Got a high single target stun and spike damage along with the AOE from green Iceman. Just need a black user.

nah just approach him like you would cyclops, his purple is like a mash up between the fisk defense and mutant revolutionary but the idea is the same, sacrificing all that extra damage in either power is not worth the 2 extra tiles. rank 3 blue is only 1177 damage for 12 blue which is poo poo, but the rank 5 is 7964 for 12 which is obviously much, much better.

also using a rank 3 purple before firing green makes sure you get at least 1349 more damage on it even if the board is dry on blue's and theres at least 5 reds out which isn't terribly hard, while doing rank 5 purple promises at least 1883 more damage which isn't that much more of a jump compared to maxing both green and blue.

5/5/3 is the way
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Could be a good pair with Kingpin: collect 18 blue and 12 black, cast IM blue, KP black, blue, black, then blue and you've stunned the enemy team for 4 turns plus damage to 2. Almost full rainbow too just need a red.
    at 8k on the 2nd cast, I'm not sure if bursting it with KP is a worthwhile tradeoff