**** Iceman (All New X-Men) ****

Options

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The Rio hint may not have anything to do with a character.. they hinted at new ways to get 4*s, in Rio, in the marvel-verse is the home of The Arena... (also Sunspot, but meh).
  • Philly79
    Philly79 Posts: 422 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The more I read it, I am really thinking Mandarin. The denial of red tiles via swapping to blue and stealing red ap should be a direct link to shutting IMHB down. The hint, two Olympic cities = 10 rings....sportin' could be a reference to something worn and not actually a sport, ie - he is sporting a new hat, or in this case 10 rings...very tricky d3, very tricky indeed....
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    This character is still undergoing final balancing passes, but a brief ability rundown:
      Green - Deals damage to enemy team, plus bonus damage for each Blue tile on the board Blue - Stuns the target and places a Countdown tile. Use again to destroy the Countdown tile and deal damage to target Purple - Transforms Red tiles to Blue tiles, drains Red AP from the enemy.
    (IceIX - Hulkbuster-buster?)

I like the Iceman speculation, but when I read it I first thought Rogue:
    Green is a super punch, Blue is her Draining touch--at first it stuns them, then if she 'maintains contact' it does a ton of damage nearly killing them, Purple - more energy drain and makes her punch stronger by making the board blue.

Still Iceman thematically is better. Shatter's cool, cooling the board is cool. Rogue should be greenflag.pngyellowflag.pngblackflag.png . Maybe.

I feel like all the great characters released most recently have at least 2 in some combination from Green/Blue/Purple. Kinda hard to play them together. This character steps on Cyclops' toes considerably (another nod for Iceman) which is probably good. Except the Red drain (which usually translates as Steal) which would be nice for whoever.
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    Options
    surprised no1 thinks its green goblin.i still think it might be hulk but maybe ice was being deliberately misleading
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    surprised no1 thinks its green goblin.i still think it might be hulk but maybe ice was being deliberately misleading

He strikes me more as a greenflag.pngblackflag.pngyellowflag.png or greenflag.pngblackflag.pngredflag.png
  • jimstarooney
    Options
    ronin-san wrote:

He strikes me more as a greenflag.pngblackflag.pngyellowflag.png or greenflag.pngblackflag.pngredflag.png
    if theres one thing i have learnt about d3p its that colours dont always match. they fixed spidey with the 1 star usin red (i always thought it was weird they used pink instead of red with 3 star spidey)
  • OvermarsBar
    OvermarsBar Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Hmm... a villain would be good, after a few straight releases of goodies. Just feel a little overwhelmed with 4*!! Why the sudden surge? Anyway, if it's gonna be Iceman, why is he 4*? I find 3* Cyclops as powerful as a 4* (if not more).
  • Iceman's an Omega Level mutant, he just holds back, canon wise.
    And this isn't Iceman anyway, it's Mandarin. 2 Olympic Sites in the Clues, Olympic Logo = 5 rings, 5 X 2 = 10 Rings, also, Hulkbuster-buster = Iron Man nemesis.

The surge of 4 stars is because we're likely gonna see a DDQ type thing for them, so they need multiple 4 stars to cycle through to extend the process of obtaining covers to still allow for competition for covers or purchases.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't think it'll be the Mandarin, because Marvel is still figuring out how to remove the "yellow peril" caricature aspect from that character. The most recent Mandarin storyline I know of had the rings operating on their own, seeking new wielders.

I think the Olympic -> Olympian -> Hercules idea is pretty solid, but this doesn't feel like a Hercules power set to me. I'd expect something more like Hulk, Juggernaut, or possibly Ares, possibly with a defensive secondary focus.

Maybe the clue really isn't a character clue at all, but has to do with the new 4* availability/content, as others have suggested.
  • jimstarooney
    Options
    could be this guy...
    http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/09/02/a ... ont%20page)&utm_content=2
  • DayvBang wrote:
    I don't think it'll be the Mandarin, because Marvel is still figuring out how to remove the "yellow peril" caricature aspect from that character. The most recent Mandarin storyline I know of had the rings operating on their own, seeking new wielders.

I think the Olympic -> Olympian -> Hercules idea is pretty solid, but this doesn't feel like a Hercules power set to me. I'd expect something more like Hulk, Juggernaut, or possibly Ares, possibly with a defensive secondary focus.

Maybe the clue really isn't a character clue at all, but has to do with the new 4* availability/content, as others have suggested.
    they had mandarin in a not-so-recent cartoon, and also the movie, sounds like that's only a comic problem

• I clicked a link on that page, and I think I may have found the answer.

That page suggests that Iron Fist is the new Hulk, but it's way too easy, and not the only blanked-out teaser they've released.

What if the new Hulk is created when Amadeus Cho and Hercules become one person?

Okay, that's stupid, but it combines the Olympic aspect and the Korean city with IceIX's description of one ability as a, "Hulkbuster buster."

I'm overthinking this, but I think it's Amadeus Cho as Hulk.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Going to jump on the Iceman Hype Train...

It just seems so very Iceman. His Green does extra damage for blue tiles (more ice around), his Blue Stuns and then Shatters, and his Purple putting out Fire and giving himself more Ice to play with.

Namor is almost a good match, but why would he have a stun? Does he toss his opponents into the open water stunning them and follow it with a super powerful attack if they are still in the water? Actually that does sound about right. Ok, I'll change my prediction to 60% Iceman 40% Namor.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Definitely Iceman. His middle ability freezes someone and then it breaks them. Superflavorful.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So, anyone else think the Olympic references in the spoilers may be because of the five-stars? You know, five rings, five stars?
    My money is still on Iceman here, with Namor as the runner-up.
  • Why this is all I can think about?

8xJHwKOz3lZAwj4SqSM86pyiBkC-ciiT9W2-pR5fpl-1pY1tHaIZ6sAlMiV-kCVTWyGAZefyfhR8AhMDxi0FXfEdlomJX5TXX1ZDaf3ZRNd2WU_1DAa7eHgLPgK7rJQqrx9PHnuLL2SOoF7_nb4ZXAKdTjVaVGk=w245-h150-nc
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Confirmed as Iceman in the R83 patch notes.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Nah, you're both wrong.

This notice happened on the Internet. . . See? I for internet. It must be Iceman!

If you don't believe me, go watch Batman '66. The world's greatest detective agrees with me.

Posted by me on Sept. 2 in response to the most recent new character tease!

Q.E.D.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]R83 is now available!

What's New...

- Iceman is arriving!
    Confirmed
  • Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Saw that too. But I still don't see ability names or cover art...