Black Widow (Original) - 2*

Options

Comments

• Thanks mags didn't know that
  • squirrel1120
    Options
    Question for those who have built a second obw in their roster...

Are you guys running both of them as 3/5/5? I'm thinking about it myself, and curious because I run into the situation quite frequently now where her espionage isn't hitting or stealing on 1-2 colors because someone else is tanking them. Is there merit in making a second one at 5/5/3?
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Good question, Squirrel. Both my maxed oBWs are built 3/5/5 and I never liked other builds much. I like the cheaper 2-match steal but of course there's the disadvantage of having to tailor my teams so that oBW can have purple.
    But as a 3*-4* player, I only run oBW in PvE where she's either buffed or it's easy to let her tank purple, or in events like Combined Arms and Balance of Power where her purple is easily the best one in the game and she's often the only purple user and it becomes essential to accelerate Recon as much as possible. I honestly can't think of many instances where having that build was seriously disadvantageous. Recent heroic event, I thought I couldn't run her with my Spidey, Blade, Deadpool or Daredevil due to them tanking purple but she still worked nicely with some of them. Blade's Thirst and oBW's blue matches = awesome.
    3/5/5 oBW is fast enough to counter any other oBW or any other purple user short of Devil Dino maybe, Venom and Loki, but their purples are too cheap to try to deny so why bother.
    You can definitely try both builds with 2* characters being so easy to respec but in all my time of playing I never felt the need nor desire to build her different than 3/5/5. All those ridiculously slow 5/x/x oBWs in PvP might have had something to do with that icon_e_wink.gif
  • Only time I can come up with a relevant argument for any non 3/5/5 build for oBW is when you're facing goons that generate purple. That's literally it. So probably not worth having the variance. That said, in ideal circumstances it effectively costs you 7 ap to steal if the opponent had 4 in purple at the time, which is quite nice. Simply too situational in my opinion to bother with using it, because the main time it comes up is against something like an all goon team which simply isn't going to have enough other relevant ap to merit the extra covers.
  • squirrel1120
    Options
    excellent points, ty.
  • So the forum search was temporarily downed and I was searching for an answer.

I'm not looking to make a big discussion out of it, especially if it's been discussed anymore, and I'm just looking for one reply.

Why doesn't Aggressive Recon steal team-up AP? It should, shouldn't it? What's so special about team-up tiles that stops them from being stolen? Or was there an explicitly stated reason.

Your answer is appreciated.
  • ynglink
    ynglink Posts: 195
    Options
    I'm assuming that the reason being is that Team Up AP isn't considered a color in the game's terms.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 691 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So the forum search was temporarily downed and I was searching for an answer.

I'm not looking to make a big discussion out of it, especially if it's been discussed anymore, and I'm just looking for one reply.

Why doesn't Aggressive Recon steal team-up AP? It should, shouldn't it? What's so special about team-up tiles that stops them from being stolen? Or was there an explicitly stated reason.

Your answer is appreciated.

Aggressive Recon was designed when the game had environment AP instead of TU AP. EAP came in higher quantities than the other APs and it wouldn't have been useful to steal 3 or 4 of them.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The skill description says it does bonus damage on blue, black or purple matches and steals AP from the enemy if they have AP in those colors, but the only color I'm seeing Espionage actually trigger the theft on is blue. And, yes, I've been watching on black/purple matches when the AI has black/purple.

Has anybody else noticed this?
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It only goes off if the tiles bear widow's symbol, as well. She has to be the one performing the match.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 2,985 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It used to be

If there are countdown tiles increases the count to XXXX and you gain XXX HP if there are no countdown tiles you gain extra XXX

Just noticed today its

You gain HP if there are no count down tiles if there are countdown tiles it just increases the countdown and you get no health

EDIT;;;; this might only be for AI teams... i notice mine still says it but i played teams with her in it and her spell is different. i know i played her in PVP sunday and the AI was getting health with the spell
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    slidecage wrote:
    It used to be

If there are countdown tiles increases the count to XXXX and you gain XXX HP if there are no countdown tiles you gain extra XXX

Just noticed today its

You gain HP if there are no count down tiles if there are countdown tiles it just increases the countdown and you get no health

EDIT;;;; this might only be for AI teams... i notice mine still says it but i played teams with her in it and her spell is different. i know i played her in PVP sunday and the AI was getting health with the spell

She gains the split health at level 5. Levels 1-4 it's either/or.
  • She gains the split health at level 5. Levels 1-4 it's either/or.
    This, and because she has a high level purple on PvE nodes, stealing 4 of every color.
  • Until level 4, her blue would be heal say 1000 if no CD, or 0 if CD are present (and increase CD). At level 5, it becomes heal for 500 and 500 more if no CDs are present (and increase CD otherwise) so you're getting at least half of the heal value no matter what. It also heals for a bit more total for being a higher level ability so it'll probably be like 600/600 split and if you're not paying attention that sounds like a nerf from healing 1000 straight up since the wording is somewhat confusing.
  • DFiPL
    Options
    Just wondering, before I post in the bug forum, if anybody else has noticed OBW's 5th cover in Espionage going 'lol no' when you try to steal blues. It's firing on black and purple, but despite the description calling out blues as well, it was completely ignoring them in Thor's essential node in Dark Avengers Heroic just now. Wasn't stealing, wasn't doing extra damage, nothin'.
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Did you have another blue user that took that color instead? That would be the only reason I can think of. It only works when blue is OBW's match color.
  • Unknown
    Options
    It's only if she's your strongest in blue, black, or purple that she steals for those colors. Make sure you don't have any other character shielding her in blue (ie. IW, Vision, etc..)
  • DFiPL
    Options
    That might be it. I don't remember if I had CMags in that match or not, but if he was in, she wouldn't have been tanking blue.

Thanks.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Espionage has 2 functions, increased damage and steals enemy ap, it will only do the second if the enemy has ap in that color

This only works on colors she tanks
  • Unknown
    Options
    I've found her page but most of the other guys have a poll or some sort of recommendation on build. I finally got another blue and not sure if I should drop blackflag.png or purpleflag.png . Anyone know the link to the page? Thanks