**** The Thing (Classic) ****

IceIX
IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
edited August 2016 in Character Details
The Thing (Classic) icon_thing.png
4 Star Rarity (Legendary) Wiki Link
At Max Level: HP: 17759 Tile Damage: 73/82/11/10/64/11/3.5x
    It's Clobberin' Time! - 10 redtile.png AP
    The Thing's rocky fist clobbers whatever palooka's dumb enough to fight him, right in the kisser! Deals 347 damage and stuns the target for 1 turn.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: Deals 667 damage. Level 3: Deals 986 damage. Level 4: Deals 1178 damage and stuns the target for 2 turns. Level 5: Deals 2465 damage.
    Max Level
      Level 3: Deals 1955 damage and stuns for 1 turn. Level 4: Deals 2335 damage and stuns for 2 turns. Level 5: Deals 4888 damage and stuns for 2 turns.

Rock Solid - Passive yellowtile.png
    (PASSIVE) The ever-lovin' blue-eyed Thing steps up to protect his friends and family. If an ally with less health than the Thing would take 913 or more damage, the Thing moves to the front and then creates 2 strength 137 Yellow Protect tiles.
    Dev Note: The Protect tiles are generated *after* the attack and any cascades takes place. If there is a conflict as to who is supposed to protect (such as having both Deadpool and Thing), the character with more health will be the protector.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: If an ally would take 913 or more damage, creates 2 strength 201 Yellow Protect tiles. Level 3: If an ally would take 822 or more damage, creates 3 strength 146 Yellow Protect tiles. Level 4: If an ally would take 730 or more damage, creates 4 strength 146 Yellow Protect tiles. Level 5: If an ally would take 685 or more damage, creates 5 strength 183 Yellow Protect tiles.
    Max Level
      Level 3: Jumps in at 1629 damage, creates 3 strength 289 Yellow Protect tiles. Level 4: Jumps in at 1448 damage, creates 4 strength 289 Yellow Protect tiles. Level 5: Jumps in at 1358 damage, creates 5 strength 361 Yellow Protect tiles.

Yancy Street Special - 12 greentile.png AP
    The Thing wallops his target so hard they go crashing through the battlefield. Deals 722 damage and destroys a random 3x3 block of tiles on the game board. Destroyed tiles do not deal damage or generate AP.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: Deals 1069 damage. Level 3: Deals 1069 damage and destroys 13 tiles (Diamond pattern). Level 4: Deals 1654 damage. Level 5: Deals 3080 damage and destroys 16 tiles (4x4 pattern).
    Max Level
      Level 3: Deals 2118 damage and destroys 13 tiles (Diamond pattern) Level 4: Deals 3276 damage and destroys 13 tiles (Diamond pattern) Level 5: Deals 6100 damage and destroys 16 tiles (4x4 pattern)
    Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Hmm. Thing?
    • Gowaderacer
      Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
      Luc Jonez wrote:
      Hmm. Thing?

That would be my guess. Powers seem a little generic but what are you going to do with a big strong guy made of rocks? He's got a little bit of Colossus, a little Groot, and a little Deadpool all mixed into 1. Should be good but nothing earth shattering (pun intended icon_e_biggrin.gif ).
    • Luc Jonez wrote:
      Hmm. Thing?

That would be my guess. Powers seem a little generic but what are you going to do with a big strong guy made of rocks? He's got a little bit of Colossus, a little Groot, and a little Deadpool all mixed into 1. Should be good but nothing earth shattering (pun intended icon_e_biggrin.gif ).

Nicely done.
    • I really didn't expect this character to be a 4*.
    • Spoit
      Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
      That is a pretty sharp drop in usefulness at 3 covers for those powers. I'm inclined to say 553, since the yellow is by far the best power, but 535 might be better because the 2 active powers would 100% useless at 3, whereas the yellow might actually still have some marginally utility there
    • Malcrof
      Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
      5/3/5 all the way, what a beautiful looking build. This is going to be a must have!

The reasoning for a 5 in yellowflag.png though, it would counter carnage's blackflag.png almost completely.

Going to be interesting!

Also Diamond pattern..

Like a Gem

Maybe like an Infinity Gem

Adam Warlock???

But most likely Thing.

Clobbering Time would be the greenflag.png
    • Are they seriously releasing two 4*s in a row?
    • CaptainFreaky
      CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
      Thanks Ice - at least we can count on you!

I generally like this one, but b/c it's 4* it will be pretty much a trophy for me if I manage to get merely 2-3 covers.

Though it really highlights how bad XFW greenflag.png is post-nerf compared to this character's clobbering greenflag.png
    • Malcrof
      Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
      Ben Grimm wrote:
      Are they seriously releasing two 4*s in a row?

I am thinking they are pumping them out, to get ready for the vault and increase in token odds.. need to have enough to make it work % wise (just a guess)
    • Malcrof wrote:
      Ben Grimm wrote:
      Are they seriously releasing two 4*s in a row?

I am thinking they are pumping them out, to get ready for the vault and increase in token odds.. need to have enough to make it work % wise (just a guess)
      thats 1 way to say it icon_twisted.gif
    • Spoit
      Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
      I'm surprised people are liking the green? 500 damage/ap is really not that great, especially with it being ridiculously expensive, and a square is the worst tile destruction shape for cascades
    • GrumpySmurf1002
      GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
      3/5/5 with FistBuster
      5/5/3 with Prof/GSBW
      5/3/5 with KamalaClops

Terrible synergy with IW and Torch, but dunno why that would matter.
    • simonsez
      simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
      Great news for Elektra and Starlord, neither of which can any longer be called the worst 4*

And great news for anyone stressed over back-to-back 4*s, since this is one you can slow-play from now until forever.
    • Buret0
      Buret0 Posts: 1,591
      edited June 2015
      Pretty straightforward, so there's a lot this could be.

X/5/X on this guy for me... probably 3/5/5 because of the big jump in green damage, though I'm not really impressed by the damage/AP ratio on this new release. I'm guessing that this will be another tank... estimating another 20K+ health at max.

Edit: I've changed my mind, 5/5/3 is how I would do this, because there's no point in blowing a hole in all those protect tiles you are building up... use him as the stun instead.

Red is about hitting hard enough to stun.
      Yellow is a defender... not just protect tiles, but actually altruistic enough to take the hit instead of the weaker person.
      Green just punches a big hole in the board.

Obviously the yellow passive is the big draw for this character. Creating 1,805 points worth of protection AND keeping a squish from being squashed? Even at level 70 he's creating nearly 1,000 points worth of protection. There's an interesting dynamic at work on this ability as well: as you level him up, the damage required to trigger the ability goes up as well... meanwhile, this number comes back down as you add covers. On top of that, the more he jumps in front, the less damage the other team will do, which will make him unlikely to jump in front again.

Board destruction is a pure in game thing, so it is tough to know the "why" of the board shake.

Red stun is interesting... a lot of good feeders for red... but at 4*, I don't see myself wasting 10 AP on this ability.

Red/Yellow/Green is nice... Thor, 2*Wolverine/3* Patch, Sentry, and Ares are the current characters covered that way.

I am a bit sick of Yellow being healing and protect tile generation (and so many passives!)... there's got to be more that "yellow" signifies in the game! Righteous Uppercut, Twin Pistols, and Thor(s)(ess) are some of the few examples I can think of that use yellow as a damage tool. Even then, Thor is still really only doing the damage as an aside to producing his Green tiles.

The Thing seems like a decent guess (actually a perfect fit for color and abilities), but with the F4 squad being pulled from most of the Marvel licensing entities... I'd be just as willing to consider another big selfless defender/big hitter. Then again, I'm not sure I'd call Deadpool "selfless" and he's the only other character with the ability to jump in front of a big hit like that (colossus doesn't count). Captain America's shield might a big damage stun and he's certainly selfless, but Green isn't his color (though having his shield banging around and knocking around tiles is cool... it isn't him). It describes Colossus, but I don't see us getting a 4* Colossus.
    • turul
      turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
      Will be fun to turn those Protect-tiles to Loki-Food!
    • woopie
      woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
      I could see SW and KK working well with him. Purple cascades to green cascades to clobberin cascades
    • poomermon
      poomermon Posts: 300 Mover and Shaker
      Realistically yellow won't trigger from anything other than abilities and the treshold difference between 3 and 5 covers is minimal. Extra protect tiles seem like overkill and anything less than 5 in his other colors will make them totally worthless. So 535 seems like obvious build.

Should work nicely with Hood protecting him from nukes. Add in Cage and you have impervious defence team worthy of many skips.
    • Buret0
      Buret0 Posts: 1,591
      woopie wrote:
      I could see SW and KK working well with him. Purple cascades to green cascades to clobberin cascades

Of course, the only time you are going to use ****Unknown Character****'s green instead of KK's green is when there's only one enemy left (or a ton of enemy special tiles) (or you really need to down someone this turn and KK's ability isn't powerful enough to kill).

Otherwise, you are going to want to launch a 3390 damage *3 attack for 12 greentile.png AP more often than you are going to want to launch a 6100 damage board destruction (that does not do more damage based on tiles destroyed).

Again... I'm guessing that the damage output is weak because the character is going to have a massive amount of health.
    • simonsez
      simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
      I get that this guy's green comes with a board wipe, but if KK's green does 4k more damage for the same AP, why do you need this guy's green? I know the devs are notoriously bad at assigning faux-damage values to non-damage ability components (see GT), but I can't imagine anyone besides them would think that destroying 16 tiles which don't generate AP or damage, can possibly be worth the equivalent 4k worth of damage.
    • stochasticism
      stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
      Why are people guessing about this character's health? It very clearly says this character has 17759 health in IceIX's post.