Poll - Did you beat the Gauntlet and gotten the IMHB?

1235»

Comments

• Staals
    Staals Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Haha I finally beat the last node. Man, what a battle. I think I fought the Tetris Ultron-node maybe twenty times. I used up most of my boosts, but I knew that I'd have to get lucky some time. So finally with my Captain(200, 3/5/5)-Invisible Woman(170, 1/2/0) and Hood (166, 3/5/5) I drew a board ready for cascading. In three moves I don't know how many cascades dropped killing off Loki before he could Mischief my AP away. After that I could start spamming Ultron's bombs with Cap's red and blue, shooting Hood's Twin Pistols at She Hulk. So lucky!

Wow, I really enjoyed this Gauntlet. I agree with many others that it was a joy to play at your own time and schedule, and being pushed to switch around your team and try out different strategies. This is MPQ at its best.
  • BlackIC
    BlackIC Posts: 65 Match Maker
    Hello MPQ Community,

I recently got the HB cover, so my vote switches to a yes. However, I wish all good luck and hope that people get this cover. The SHulk + Loki + Ultron node is complete board layout luck and personnel dependent. I only hope that MPQ looks into such concerns and balances it as a whole in subsequent contests.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    prime needs to go first.

Last attempt with DP/Mystique I tried that. Terrible board wiped me quick.

I'm debating She-Hulk first actually. The 12k AoE and AP drain has been way more of a threat than the bombs so far. IW can shut down Ultron fine with Force Bubbles, and once She-Hulk is done, invisibility can stop damage on a character.

So far I've tried:

Cap-Hood
    Cap-Mystique
    Cap-Cyclops
    Cap-Doc Ock (this actually worked decently until She-Hulk started flipping the attack tiles)
    Kamala-Cage
    Kamala-Blade
    Dp-Mystique
    DP-XForce
    Xforce-Grocket

If anyone's got other suggestions, I'll take them.

I don't have IMHB (2/1/1) or Prof X (1/2/0) usable. I might dump some Iso and try Elektra (2/4/4, lvl 70), maybe Shadow Step can eat enough damage to help, assuming I get time to launch it. My IF is soft-capped at 140, 4/3/4, won't generate black fast enough.

2* Mags.. can create 4 matches to wipe out bombs.. bombs are going to 1 shot you anyway, so don't be afraid to bring in oddballs

Since you don't have mags (i read your note) see if you can get a 5 cover iron hammer team up. Resets the whole board and eliminates all bombs, as long as it gets placed high enough up.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I checked yes today. LCap/Hood/IW. Took a couple more tries, but finally got Cap going with Hood supporting. Holy hell was that satisfying.
  • cletus1985
    cletus1985 Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Beat it today, used whales for the last 2 essentials because I could and the Ultron, Loki, She-Hulk node wasn't possible without a fantastic board. Surprisingly took out the very last node in one try, I was expecting to replay that one a few times but luck was on my side. Boosted Torch with Loki and Cmags actually was my go to team throughout most of the non-essentials and it worked to perfection, very rarely did I wipe with them.
  • Lopan15
    Lopan15 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    Took me almost 40 tries to beat last node (Ultron/Shulk/Loki) without whales. Tried lots o combos and usually lost within 10 turns. Used myst gsbw IW when I finally won, but more because of starting board. Opened 5 match pink which set up a 7 match pink which super cascaded on first turn filling pink blue yellow. Used widow pink to load green and another mini cascade filling black. At end was down to IW invisible with 700 health vs Shulk with 7k health. Swept up blue and green til I could bubble crush her. Was frustratingly difficult.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    I only used two whales on the last two essentials. Very happy to come out of gauntlet with a handful of whales in reserve. icon_cool.gif
  • Loftus
    Loftus Posts: 79 Match Maker
    I haven't managed to beat the gauntlet, i don't have deadpool which is a hindrance, and the powered up characters really don't suit my roster. I'm stuck with 2 star.png captain marvel, magneto and bullseye. My Mystique is severly undercovered.

I've managed to make it to the third stage, but i would like to get the juggernaut progression (black panther cover) and as my team is mostly the same in both events i think the gauntlet is going to have to be put to one side. I do enjoy the gauntlet events though, hopefully the boosted characters suit my roster a bit better next time icon_e_smile.gif
  • With 15 minutes to go....I did it. HA! Got you, game, finally.
    Today was the first day I got a full powered Whales - had to use it on the hulk/IF essential. Then the bane of my existence, the Ultron/Shulk/Loki node....well, I had to think and play hard on that one, weighing up every move and ability. used IW (Poorly covered, poorly leveled), Hulk and Patch and JUST scraped through.
    I feel satisfied.
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    My wall arrived with the Ultron/Blade/Cage node just before the first essentials in Global Domination. That's roughly where my wall was last time, too, plus or minus a node or two.

I think my scaling may have been affected adversely by kicking Patch and LThor up to 166 and 153 respectively with only 3-4 more at 140 and the rest in the 110s and 120s.
  • jffdougan wrote:
    My wall arrived with the Ultron/Blade/Cage node just before the first essentials in Global Domination. That's roughly where my wall was last time, too, plus or minus a node or two.

I think my scaling may have been affected adversely by kicking Patch and LThor up to 166 and 153 respectively with only 3-4 more at 140 and the rest in the 110s and 120s.

I know I'm getting scaled pretty hard (high 300's for the last 3 essentials) but I'm very very glad that I chose to level my characters as I did - dragging them all up to a certain point and then choosing two at a time to max. It means I have a diverse and interesting set of maxed 3* characters (22 of them now!) and a good chunk of fully covered but waiting for Iso-8 characters sitting at level 133. I may be getting more scaling than I'd like, but I have a great selection to choose from these days. It's taken a while to do (note my alliance name) but I'm happy with my slow-but-sure progression.
    One thing I haven't done is jump on the 4-star bandwagon. Maybe I should at some point, but I chose a broad 3-star spread rather than a few high profile killers.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    20th attempt. Tried Patch and Hulk, tried Mystique and Deadpool, tried Scarlet Witch and Deadpool. Tried Steve Rogers and Blade
    qTjKNPz.png?1
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    madsalad wrote:
    20th attempt. Tried Patch and Hulk, tried Mystique and Deadpool, tried Scarlet Witch and Deadpool. Tried Steve Rogers and Blade

Honestly, mad (can I call you mad?) I find that kind of finish to be a lot more satisfying than the ones where I take no damage and just kinda breeze through. When that kind of thing happens, I feel like I've accomplished something.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    madsalad wrote:

Honestly, mad (can I call you mad?) I find that kind of finish to be a lot more satisfying than the ones where I take no damage and just kinda breeze through. When that kind of thing happens, I feel like I've accomplished something.

100% agreed, things like that make you want to jump up and yell HOLT TINYKITTY I DID IT

breezing through it .. ok, next match, whatever.
  • Post-mortem reveals two things:

1) Gauntlet difficulty was hella cranked. Started using my A-listers ( icon_captainamerica.png / icon_ironman.png , icon_humantorch.png / icon_blade.png , icon_storm.png / icon_blackwidow.png / icon_daredevil.png ( icon_spiderman.png works, too), & icon_wolverine.png / icon_thor.png ) pretty much exclusively after the halfway point in Alpine Tactics. Global domination seemed like it was streamlined for 3 choices: star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png characters, A-listers in concert with miracle cascades(plural) from the heavens, or auto-lose.

2) My icon_mystique.png was far too undercovered/underleveled at 1/2/1 to get past ANY of the global domination essential nodes. In fact, in the ONE node I managed a clear, she got off a turn 5 Shapeshift/Masterstroke combo for 1/2 an enemy's health, then was downed 6 turns later. Only won because X-Force/Lightning Strike/X-Force still can make some super-jank cascades(or, in this case, Call the Storm for Game) happen.

Still glad to have Gauntlet back; still glad that "10 fastest 10-pack" noise didn't return.
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    I have managed to get Hulkbuster, but it wasn't easy. About 12 hours before end I had only one node left (Hulkbuster, Hood, Iron Fist) and still could use Whales on it. I went sleep and tried it in the morning (there was still about 4 hours to the end), but always failed to gather 12 purple APs even boosted.
    I have used all health packs and there was only 30 minutes to the end. Then I have received Daily Reward and it was the first time I was happy to see health packs there. I have tried one last time to beat them and finally succeed icon_e_biggrin.gif