Poll - Did you beat the Gauntlet and gotten the IMHB?

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Some nodes I knew would be insane to try. I whaled the Ultron one because no. Just...no.

I wouldn't have put so much effort into beating the Gauntlet if Hulkbuster wasn't the final prize. He was one of two characters I didn't have, the other being Professor X. I had a great run in the second and third pages, some great boards that gave me the red and blue I needed to go nuts with Steve. Having Loki and Hood as backup, stealing everything and preventing moves from even firing really helped, too.

Felt so good to finally beat that Hood/Iron Fist/Hulkbuster node.
  • How finally did it today. I used 3 mega whales to complete the whole event. Have to say this was very challenging event for me.
  • Xyren
    Xyren Posts: 30
    I finished yesterday. No whales, but I wasted a ton of health packs, a large number of boosts, and my top 100 standing in Falcon on that final node.

I don't know what we'll do if they run another Gauntlet without lazy Cap boosted...
  • Finished the other day as number 311, so it sounds like a decent number have finished since then. Had a couple of problem nodes, but only uber-whaled twice. The last two essentials I think.
    Had a big chunk of 395s, but most were pretty easy to cheese with things like Goddess/IM40/iMags + 2 r/y/b/p, or HB/Fist/anyone, or Patch/Loki/anyone. Also sweet was LCap/Clops/Hood Jr. (I have a fully covered level 80-90 one in addition to the maxed one, he crushes pve more than his big bro)

Still brutal, still challenging and thought provoking. And incredibly frustrating at times (like almost winning with Goddess as the sole survivor at 24 health to a team up when I otherwise had it locked up), but there's a few where when you figure out a great way to beat it, you feel rather good.

Right around 9-10 uber-whales left in the whale bank.
  • lokiagentofhotness
    lokiagentofhotness Posts: 192 Tile Toppler
    5 black in HB due to lucky tokens, etc....so i sat this one out after hearing about how hard it was.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    I beat it after using only one whale on the Ultron node of doom. Most of my nodes in GD were L300+. Overall a rather frustrating experience.
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    #1101 reporting in, though i did spend two days faffing around the last two essentials.
    Had to whale them in the end as it wasn't worth the time sink, the Ultron node i would die within 4/5 turns because of cascades/illusion/shulk... apart from the time when i managed to get enough TU to whale it.

For reference highest unboosted is 94, highest node not whaled was 270 (last regular node). Having the boosted characters decently covered helps as does a good support character Loki was MvP.

Special win mention to Prof X, cheesing his way to Victory
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2015
    #1099 finisher in my bracket.
    This is the first Gauntlet I've ever finished all the way through and it has been very satisfying overall.
    Certainly some of the nodes were crazy, but I only SuperWhaled one - the infamous TetrisUltron/SH/Loki last Essential.

I'm not sure I could have done it without boosted Steve Rogers, or at least it would have taken me longer and many more health packs.
    I also have a new found respect for Hood in high level matches. I typically use Loki over Hood, but Hood really kept me alive more times than I can count when faced with enemies scaled way higher than my roster. Thank you Parker Robbins, for all that you do.

c2f9bffff44cee82027bc8e2731df35f.jpg

FYI - my highest (unboosted) character is a Lvl 188 XFW, and the highest level enemies I faced were around 330-334.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    I also have a new found respect for Hood in high level matches. .

Same, my hood is only 4/5/1, but i boosted him to lvl 130 and brought him in. Hood , Hulk, KK.. hulkbombed most of the nodes i could use that combo on, only whaled the ultron/loki/shulk node (loki actually saved me... he took 2 bombs about to drop and flipped them all the way back to the top!)
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Still no. I have Ultron remaining, and no superwhales left. (and the node awesomely jumped from 332 the first time I tried to 395 now).

Best I've done is get it down to Ultron 2500, Shulk 5300, but of all things the AI placed the 'Take Aim' TU perfectly on me, killed Kamala from 6k, and moved a bomb to the bottom to finish Cage.

Not sure I'll get the close again. Quite frustrating, but I still have time to try to beat it legit.
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    Still no. I have Ultron remaining, and no superwhales left. (and the node awesomely jumped from 332 the first time I tried to 395 now).

Ouch - keep at it. That node when levels are (well) over 300 is pretty evil IMO. Clearly the dev who created that combo of SH/Loki to pair with Ultron has a sadistic streak in them.
    And doing it without SuperWhales? Well, I've heard legends of it being done, but I believe it involved using a Galactus team-up. Or Jamie Madrox. Or both.
  • xdogg
    xdogg Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    I can't beat the Ultron node no matter what i do, tried a whole lot of times with teams people said they won with, I don't have enough DP points, one thing that may be hurting me someone shared that at 5 blue IW can lock Ultron bombs in place, I only have her at 4 blue
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards

Best I've done is get it down to Ultron 2500, Shulk 5300, but of all things the AI placed the 'Take Aim' TU perfectly on me, killed Kamala from 6k, and moved a bomb to the bottom to finish Cage.

Not sure I'll get the close again. Quite frustrating, but I still have time to try to beat it legit.

What brutal luck smurf. But how are you nodes increasing in level of you are just bashing your head against one final node? There is no community scaling in the gauntlet, so the only thing that should be raising your node levels is beating other nodes. Am I wrong about the way that gauntlet scaling works?
  • I'm stuck about halfway through node 3. Sadly due to lack of certain required characters I was not able to get any of the 3* cover rewards. So I played pretty hard for days with basically nothing to show for it but more ISO. Disappointing but not the end of the world, when there were only 4 covers being offered anyway.
  • Malcrof
    I am wondering if this poll shouldn't have been a little different. Anyone missing an essential is an obvious no, i was thinking the poll should have been on how many who were able to finish, actually did finish.
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    I did, and I used 6 whales to do it. I used whales on a few nodes that just didn't look like fun, and hey, I have a free "get out of boredom free" card with superwhales. I play with deadpool every day though, and only use whales for the Gauntlet, so I still have more points than I know what to do with. Had I fewer, I probably could have made it with only 3 (though once again, I whaled at least one node just because it had so many complaints in this thread. Why kill myself if I don't have to?)

She-Hulk/Loki/Hood were my MVP team, I used them on almost every node that didn't feature one of them on the opposite side. So many characters make strikes or protects these days, it's a pretty simple matter of getting yourself a few big protect tiles, then keeping their AP as close to 0 as possible. It isn't fast, but I figure that's why the Gauntlet is a whole week long.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    Vhailorx wrote:

What brutal luck smurf. But how are you nodes increasing in level of you are just bashing your head against one final node? There is no community scaling in the gauntlet, so the only thing that should be raising your node levels is beating other nodes. Am I wrong about the way that gauntlet scaling works?

I tried it, failed, beat the other 5 essentials, then came back. So maybe that drove it up, but it's absolutely ridiculous that there's any scaling in this event. Set the nodes (based on whatever the algorithm says they should be) and turn off the scaling.

Still trying. Can get Loki down fairly reasonably, but can't burst anything down fast enough to offset the match damage, and by then I get a 3887 Power of Attorney to the face.

Pretty sure it's impossible at 395 without Whales.
  • Malcrof
    Vhailorx wrote:

I tried it, failed, beat the other 5 essentials, then came back. So maybe that drove it up, but it's absolutely ridiculous that there's any scaling in this event. Set the nodes (based on whatever the algorithm says they should be) and turn off the scaling.

Still trying. Can get Loki down fairly reasonably, but can't burst anything down fast enough to offset the match damage, and by then I get a 3887 Power of Attorney to the face.

Pretty sure it's impossible at 395 without Whales.

prime needs to go first.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    Malcrof wrote:
    prime needs to go first.

Last attempt with DP/Mystique I tried that. Terrible board wiped me quick.

I'm debating She-Hulk first actually. The 12k AoE and AP drain has been way more of a threat than the bombs so far. IW can shut down Ultron fine with Force Bubbles, and once She-Hulk is done, invisibility can stop damage on a character.

So far I've tried:

Cap-Hood
    Cap-Mystique
    Cap-Cyclops
    Cap-Doc Ock (this actually worked decently until She-Hulk started flipping the attack tiles)
    Kamala-Cage
    Kamala-Blade
    Dp-Mystique
    DP-XForce
    Xforce-Grocket

If anyone's got other suggestions, I'll take them.

I don't have IMHB (2/1/1) or Prof X (1/2/0) usable. I might dump some Iso and try Elektra (2/4/4, lvl 70), maybe Shadow Step can eat enough damage to help, assuming I get time to launch it. My IF is soft-capped at 140, 4/3/4, won't generate black fast enough.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof wrote:
    prime needs to go first.

Last attempt with DP/Mystique I tried that. Terrible board wiped me quick.

I'm debating She-Hulk first actually. The 12k AoE and AP drain has been way more of a threat than the bombs so far. IW can shut down Ultron fine with Force Bubbles, and once She-Hulk is done, invisibility can stop damage on a character.

So far I've tried:

Cap-Hood
    Cap-Mystique
    Cap-Cyclops
    Cap-Doc Ock (this actually worked decently until She-Hulk started flipping the attack tiles)
    Kamala-Cage
    Kamala-Blade
    Dp-Mystique
    DP-XForce
    Xforce-Grocket

If anyone's got other suggestions, I'll take them.

I don't have IMHB (2/1/1) or Prof X (1/2/0) usable. I might dump some Iso and try Elektra (2/4/4, lvl 70), maybe Shadow Step can eat enough damage to help, assuming I get time to launch it. My IF is soft-capped at 140, 4/3/4, won't generate black fast enough.

2* Mags.. can create 4 matches to wipe out bombs.. bombs are going to 1 shot you anyway, so don't be afraid to bring in oddballs