Will anyone get the Black Hulkbuster from round 8?

Options

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    djsquillz wrote:
    Tacos have Round 8 Ultron @ approx 12.5 million Health.

It's gonna take a huge effort, but we have a shot to clear this fugger.

marc

Wait, are you telling me that only a tiny percentage of hard-working, very coordinated alliances actually have a chance to get the third cover of a new 4*? So.... like every other PVE 4* release, except that now even the less accomplished players in the alliance in question will be getting that cover and a huge percentage of the rest of the players will be getting 2 covers. Plus up to three covers of a new 3*.

Weird, I though this was the event where we categorically could conclude that Demiurge is a band of witless, lazy and incompetent rogues. Turns out that this event will end being a much superior alternative to the "normal" 4* releases. Who could have told?

I strongly disagree with you again Pylgrim.

(1) it's not clear that anyone will actually be able to clear this event, especially because there is significant possibly that the servers will crash under the end-of-event loads

(2) in normal 4* PVE releases, the top 50 finishers of each 1000 earn one or more covers. And the top 100 alliances earn another cover (until recently, it was top 50, but demiurge changed it to top 100 with kingpin in a seeming acknowledgment of the fact that 4*s are too rare given the number of 4*s being introduced).

(3) From the forums, there is ONE alliance (deadpoolstacos) of twenty players that has a shot at finishing. There are probably a few others in a similar position that haven't reported their progress on the forums. That is the equivalent of a top 5 ALLIANCE reward, not top 50 or top 100. That is not reasonable in a game that (a) charges $20 for a single 4* cover, (b) has an infinitely increasing cost for roster slots, and (c) has introduced no less than four new 4*s in the past 4 months and has many more on the way.

I get that much of the dev bashing on this forum is unproductive and stupid. That's not what is happening here. The health for Ultron run #2 was too high. This problem was exacerbated by the lack of notice that players received about that health prior to start their runs. It is appropriate for players to provide this feedback.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,312 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    djsquillz wrote:

marc

Wait, are you telling me that only a tiny percentage of hard-working, very coordinated alliances actually have a chance to get the third cover of a new 4*? So.... like every other PVE 4* release, except that now even the less accomplished players in the alliance in question will be getting that cover and a huge percentage of the rest of the players will be getting 2 covers. Plus up to three covers of a new 3*.

Weird, I though this was the event where we categorically could conclude that Demiurge is a band of witless, lazy and incompetent rogues. Turns out that this event will end being a much superior alternative to the "normal" 4* releases. Who could have told?

I strongly disagree with you again Pylgrim.

(1) it's not clear that anyone will actually be able to clear this event, especially because there is significant possibly that the servers will crash under the end-of-event loads

Fair enough! With all the people jumping ahead to loudly proclaim it was impossible almost from Day1 of the event, I went ahead and proclaimed that it was actually possible. But you are right, we still have to wait and see Before either **** or praising.
    (2) in normal 4* PVE releases, the top 50 finishers of each 1000 earn one or more covers. And the top 100 alliances earn another cover (until recently, it was top 50, but demiurge changed it to top 100 with kingpin in a seeming acknowledgment of the fact that 4*s are too rare given the number of 4*s being introduced).

This part is actually harder to compare since it could be argued that 2 covers of different colours are superior to two covers of the same colour (the expected personal 50+ alliance 100 placement reward) but there's not a definite edge. From the work put by our alliance, who should somewhat comfortably end round 7, I'd say that we've played more or less as hard as we'd play in a normal PVE to get those 50/100 rewards (and arguably less than we'd have to in the PVEs that have two subs per chapter). AND we are getting up to three 3* covers in progression as opposed to 1.
    (3) From the forums, there is ONE alliance (deadpoolstacos) of twenty players that has a shot at finishing. There are probably a few others in a similar position that haven't reported their progress on the forums. That is the equivalent of a top 5 ALLIANCE reward, not top 50 or top 100. That is not reasonable in a game that (a) charges $20 for a single 4* cover, (b) has an infinitely increasing cost for roster slots, and (c) has introduced no less than four new 4*s in the past 4 months and has many more on the way.

Conveniently, I haven't heard a peep from many of the biggest, most hardcore alliances, not to mention the ones that just don't come to the forums. If one alliance can many more can and I assure you, will get it. And you are right, it's equivalent to a top 5 alliance reward in a normal PVE... which still rewards only one cover, not all three? The only players who could legitimately claim to be slighted in this arrangement are those who would place top 5 personal and at least top 100 alliance, getting a total of 4 covers. Obviously we are talking of a two digit amount of players here.
    I get that much of the dev bashing on this forum is unproductive and stupid. That's not what is happening here. The health for Ultron run #2 was too high. This problem was exacerbated by the lack of notice that players received about that health prior to start their runs. It is appropriate for players to provide this feedback.

I don't know why I keep being misunderstood. I'm not against feedback. I'm against **** and moaning and rudeness and claiming things are impossible far in advance instead of actually working towards it and then based on the results, react accordingly. Tell you what. If turns out that no alliances clear the 8th round, you can pass me a pitchfork and I'll join the angry mob and we'll tear these forums down. Until then, shall we wait and see?
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:

I don't know why I keep being misunderstood. I'm not against feedback. I'm against **** and moaning and rudeness and claiming things are impossible far in advance instead of actually working towards it and then based on the results, react accordingly. Tell you what. If turns out that no alliances clear the 8th round, you can pass me a pitchfork and I'll join the angry mob and we'll tear these forums down. Until then, shall we wait and see?

But that's just it pylgrim: you seem to treat any criticism as the equivalent of a raging mob "burning the forums down" with pitchforks. This wasn't a case of people predicting doom and gloom from the very beginning. No one on the forums said anything about the health in Ultron 2 until several alliances reached rounds 6 and 7 and realized that his health was massively higher than in Ultron 1. THAT was when people came to forums and suggested (1) that the health in Ultron 2 was more than a little too high, and (2) that the dev's statements prior to Ultron 2 arguably created a reasonable expectation that it would be similar to Ultron 1.

That's not people "claiming things are impossible far in advance." That's people playing the game, recognizing that something was different, doing the math, and then providing feedback on the forums. Call me crazy, but that seems like the way things are supposed to work.

Also I think that my own opinion (that the health in Ultron 2 is significantly higher than it "should" be) is true regardless of what happens in the last 24 hours. Even if Deadpoolstacos (whom I think ARE one of the biggest, most hardcore alliance) or a few other alliances sneak in under the wire, I don't think that an alliance progression reward should ever be set to such a level that perfect or near perfect play from 20 people is necessary to achieve the goal. Especially when "perfect" play requires at least 1 hour of playtime every 8 hours without fail for 4.5 days. I don't love that system for individual placement rewards in pve, but I REALLY dislike it for an alliance-wide progression reward.

That's just my opinion, and some on these forums undoubtedly disagree with me, but I don't think it is a fun reward structure for a game.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    djsquillz wrote:

marc

blah bleh de blah blah de be blah blah.

i never would have guessed it either.

easy...marc
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,312 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

But that's just it pylgrim: you seem to treat any criticism as the equivalent of a raging mob "burning the forums down" with pitchforks. This wasn't a case of people predicting doom and gloom from the very beginning. No one on the forums said anything about the health in Ultron 2 until several alliances reached rounds 6 and 7 and realized that his health was massively higher than in Ultron 1. THAT was when people came to forums and suggested (1) that the health in Ultron 2 was more than a little too high, and (2) that the dev's statements prior to Ultron 2 arguably created a reasonable expectation that it would be similar to Ultron 1.

That's not people "claiming things are impossible far in advance." That's people playing the game, recognizing that something was different, doing the math, and then providing feedback on the forums. Call me crazy, but that seems like the way things are supposed to work.

Also I think that my own opinion (that the health in Ultron 2 is significantly higher than it "should" be) is true regardless of what happens in the last 24 hours. Even if Deadpoolstacos (whom I think ARE one of the biggest, most hardcore alliance) or a few other alliances sneak in under the wire, I don't think that an alliance progression reward should ever be set to such a level that perfect or near perfect play from 20 people is necessary to achieve the goal. Especially when "perfect" play requires at least 1 hour of playtime every 8 hours without fail for 4.5 days. I don't love that system for individual placement rewards in pve, but I REALLY dislike it for an alliance-wide progression reward.

That's just my opinion, and some on these forums undoubtedly disagree with me, but I don't think it is a fun reward structure for a game.

You must have missed it but there were threads about this literally from Day 1. Not this one, but others. This one thread was actually timely and asking a valid question in the title as opposed to predicting doom. Note that the expectation that Ultron would have a similar total health as the previous event was totally baseless, taking in account that this one was rewarding a 4* and that a 3*. In fact, I believe that's the problem with all the negativism around this event: people played the first one, thought "sweet, that wasn't much effort to pocket 3 covers" and were already salivating at the idea of getting three covers of a new 4* with the same amount of effort. Obviously, when that was taken away from them, they felt cheated, but again, it was a baseless expectation that players of this game should have been wary against.

And again, my point is that this event is inherently superior than a normal 4* PVE release. MUCH better. In fact, it is a good thing that they also made a "normal" PVE release event so the differences are obvious. Just take a look at what our alliance, a bottom-of-the-top-tier one will walk away with from both events:

Avengers Vs Ultron PVE
    -2 different coloured covers of 4* IMHB
    -3 Scarlet Witch (a just-released character) covers. This is up to each member but now there's no excuse not to get them.

vs

Enemy of the State PVE
    -1 4* IMHB cover (and an additional cover of the same colour if you personally manage top 50, a not for-granted result).
    -1 She-Hulk (a year-old character) cover.

In addition, I argue that we are collectively putting less effort in Ultron PVE than we will put in Enemy of State:

-There was barely (if at all) community scaling in the essential nodes in the main Ultron's event. The very last Sentries you fight are not noticeably much harder than the very first. In EoS, depending of your roster, you know that there's a good chance that the last enemies you fight against will have more than 150 levels than your highest buffed character.
    -Enemy of State has subs which mean absolutely vital end-of-sub grinding. You complain about having to play "perfectly" in Ultron, but EoS will require that AND end-of-sub grinding if you really want a faint shot at personal top 50.
    -Ultron was 4.5 Days, EoS is 6.5.
    -IN EoS you'll be competing against other people. If you get into a particularly grindy bracket getting personal top 50 will require enormous additional amounts of effort and last-minute stress.

So, we could either talk about how grand is getting so many rewards in AvU for comparatively less effort or we could **** about how near-impossible is getting the one very last reward. I'm choosing the first.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Tacos just cleared Ultron Rd. 8.

Congrats to everyone for their team work and dedication.

easy...marc
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    djsquillz wrote:

easy...marc

Best did, too. Have any other alliances?

Hard work and dedication, but it paid off!
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Options
    djsquillz wrote:

easy...marc

Really impressive work all. Hatsune Miku got into Round 8, but we won't finish. Still it's been an impressive display of teamwork, and we've gotten an impressive number of covers. Even without clearing Round 8, I'm walking away with a 2/1/1 Hulkbuster and a 1/4/1 Scarlet Witch.

I'm quite happy icon_e_smile.gif
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    We Are Gr00t and Gr00t Br00ts both got into round 8, Broots with only 19 players

We'd have finished round 8 had we stuck with our run 1 configuration
  • Unknown
    Options
    Congrats to Best!

Great Work.

marc
  • danae
    danae Posts: 101
    Options
    So, the best tacos beat ultron? icon_e_biggrin.gif

Congrats. Anyone in your alliances complaining about not reaching the 1 million progression reward? icon_lol.gif
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    danae wrote:
    So, the best tacos beat ultron? icon_e_biggrin.gif

Congrats. Anyone in your alliances complaining about not reaching the 1 million progression reward? icon_lol.gif

Our top 6 were over 2 million, pretty sure the average was 1.7m+
  • SnakesArrows
    SnakesArrows Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    Options
    We got to ultron 8 but not close to finishing.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

You must have missed it but there were threads about this literally from Day 1. Not this one, but others. This one thread was actually timely and asking a valid question in the title as opposed to predicting doom. Note that the expectation that Ultron would have a similar total health as the previous event was totally baseless, taking in account that this one was rewarding a 4* and that a 3*. In fact, I believe that's the problem with all the negativism around this event: people played the first one, thought "sweet, that wasn't much effort to pocket 3 covers" and were already salivating at the idea of getting three covers of a new 4* with the same amount of effort. Obviously, when that was taken away from them, they felt cheated, but again, it was a baseless expectation that players of this game should have been wary against.

And again, my point is that this event is inherently superior than a normal 4* PVE release. MUCH better. In fact, it is a good thing that they also made a "normal" PVE release event so the differences are obvious. Just take a look at what our alliance, a bottom-of-the-top-tier one will walk away with from both events:

Avengers Vs Ultron PVE
    -2 different coloured covers of 4* IMHB
    -3 Scarlet Witch (a just-released character) covers. This is up to each member but now there's no excuse not to get them.

vs

Enemy of the State PVE
    -1 4* IMHB cover (and an additional cover of the same colour if you personally manage top 50, a not for-granted result).
    -1 She-Hulk (a year-old character) cover.

In addition, I argue that we are collectively putting less effort in Ultron PVE than we will put in Enemy of State:

-There was barely (if at all) community scaling in the essential nodes in the main Ultron's event. The very last Sentries you fight are not noticeably much harder than the very first. In EoS, depending of your roster, you know that there's a good chance that the last enemies you fight against will have more than 150 levels than your highest buffed character.
    -Enemy of State has subs which mean absolutely vital end-of-sub grinding. You complain about having to play "perfectly" in Ultron, but EoS will require that AND end-of-sub grinding if you really want a faint shot at personal top 50.
    -Ultron was 4.5 Days, EoS is 6.5.
    -IN EoS you'll be competing against other people. If you get into a particularly grindy bracket getting personal top 50 will require enormous additional amounts of effort and last-minute stress.

So, we could either talk about how grand is getting so many rewards in AvU for comparatively less effort or we could **** about how near-impossible is getting the one very last reward. I'm choosing the first.
    I feel that you're not comparing properly between Ultron and EoS.

Let's take tacos for example. Nearly everyone on their team had to have the highest possible scores compared to everyone else in order for them to take down ultron. Only 2 alliances that we know of did it so they were some of the highest individual scores out there. They all get 3 Hulk for their work.

Same work put in on EoS will acquire 4 or 5 Hulks. They won't get the 3 SW but I would assume everyone would be happier with an additional 1 or 2 hulks.

It was a great event and I loved the new format.

I just wish people could point out things and not have to worry about people saying they are ****.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm not sure it's the same amount of work, really. The refreshes were a lot more health and enemies to wade through than a typical pve refresh. Not to mention they ate up waaaaay more health packs. But you only had to do the 5 survival+6 center nodes 3 times a day, there was no final grind.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    I'm not sure it's the same amount of work, really. The refreshes were a lot more health and enemies to wade through than a typical pve refresh. Not to mention they ate up waaaaay more health packs. But you only had to do the 5 survival+6 center nodes 3 times a day, there was no final grind.

speaking as someone who's competed for more than 1 cover in 4* release pves, the lack of a final grind and not having to check relative standings makes a huge difference. Despite tougher enemies, Ultron feels a lot easier/less stressful compared to that. You just do your thing more or less at your own pace and let it go.

edit - the tough part is the alliance cooperation part, because if your alliance isn't in it with you, you can get nothing at all.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Congrats to the alliances that actually beat round 8. Very impressive.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    WolfmanX25 wrote:
    Congrats to the alliances that actually beat round 8. Very impressive.
    Yes, mega kudos to Tacos and Best.

Shame that this probably means there will be no compensation, cause, hey, 40 people got the final HB cover, so it was reachable!
  • Dekliko1978
    Dekliko1978 Posts: 93
    Options
    Although it was reachable I had to reintroduce myself to my wife and actually forgot where my bedroom was icon_e_biggrin.gif

Also congratulations to The Best for being equally insane as us Tacos!
  • Unknown
    Options
    So it's only the 2 of us ?

40 people getting the black cover means 8 "normal" PvE brackets, 8000 players.

That's far lower than usual. So in the end, the new PvE system is not as rewarding as the "common" version.

I would have thought otherwise, but probably D3 did not make the math correctly and did not realize how much dedication this grinding really meant...

I'm glad I was part of the party.