Thick as Thieves (1 Apr - 8 Apr 2015)

Options

Comments

• Don't get me wrong, I love getting new characters. But back to back is too much. Couldn't they have just given out Beast covers for this event instead so that I could rest for a week. What happened to the every other week character release thing. I will likely go for progression and if in the process I am top 50 I will be happy. Only because KP will be the essential character for the next pve. Which if the next pve releases another new character that is a usable 3* that over shadows 4* again, KP will likely get the boot after the event.

D3 says: Daredevil is coming out soon, start grinding nodes for us, slave
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    If they were going to do back-to-back character releases, there were ways to do it without irritating 90% of the forum:

1. Not run hyper-grindy events. ISO Brotherhood is exhausting - I figured out how much I was doing, and it was something like 55-60 nodes every 12 hours. And that got me top ten, not top 2 or anything. I could have lightened up a little bit, but not much, and gotten all three covers. Thick as Thieves is running for 6.5 days - about as long as events run - and has, with maybe one exception, always had major problems. If one of the events was Marvel vs. MPQ, and the other something shortish and not grindy, we'd be less annoyed by this.

2. Tell us ahead of time. If I had known that the last one was going to be followed by a new character release, especially a new 4* release, I would have taken it a little easier. Maybe settled for top 50. I thought I'd be able to take it easy and recharge in the next PVE. But the Devs don't seem to believe in giving advance warning when something is going to be unpopular, which adds to the annoyance.

3. Open up the 4* reward structure. Would it really be that big a problem for a 10-50-150 reward structure for 4*s? Does an extra 10% of the gaming base getting a SINGLE COVER really upset things that much? The limitation on 4* covers is just stupid. I don't even see how it helps them. Are there people out there still stupid enough to buy cover packs nowadays?

It's not just that they did a bad thing, it's that they did in in the worst manner possible.

The biggest joke is a 7 day event for 1 cover if you're 51-10000000000000000000th place.

In one of my earlier threads, I asked the devs to stop releasing so many characters at such a fast pace without giving us a way to cover them.

I also think all 7 day events should have a "reward" at the end(with big HP/ISO/a cover)
    Does anyone else feel that playing these PVEs is like reading a comic book series backwards and then since you can't find the issue before the one your reading you just jump that issue to the next one back?

I liken this to watching a gif that's not all that interesting/funny until my eyes bleed
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Just in case the Devs skip "general" and pop in here - this event is just the worst. No one wants T50 reward structure. No one wants 7 day events. No one wants new character releases over holiday weekends. No one wants back-to-back character releases. No one wants two 4*'s released in three weeks.

Releases of characters have been speeding up, and now every week? 4*'s were speeding up, and now every other week? This can't bode well for the longevity of this game.

Mostly agree here, but I do not mind this event in and of itself, reward structure and character releases notwithstanding. This event has basically 8 nodes to clear every 8 hours - or 3 times a day except for sub transitions. I for one welcome longer subs. While the extra tokens were great, grinding at the end of one and getting through the beginning of the next twice a day - that was the worst. This is at least starting much more laid back. I just joined with 750 in my sub, did a full clear, and I'm 100 now. I'll be happy with DD blue, the progression, some iso and a few tokens - tired of the roster expansion. I'd just like to develop what I have.

I really dislike the boosted characters here since my cyc is only 1/1/1, I don't have im40 and my torch and baby caps are underleveled. I do have to say that Cap, Mags, and Cyclops is a killer goon team. mags purple and Cyclops yellow feed cap and Cyclops has a black hammer as well even underleveled they can hit way above their weight - just takes forever since cap red does so little damage. There are no hammers boosted (at least none of my boosted characters are), so getting by the normal/hard nodes with non-boosted ares/daken/obw was painful against Cmags being fed blue and yellow in the 120s.
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Top 100 alliances now get Kingpin... icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • rbdragon wrote:
    Top 100 alliances now get Kingpin... icon_e_biggrin.gif

What...the.....*bleep*
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, I was just reminded of the problem I had with this event last time... Family Reunion VII... ouch! Don feeding Classic Mags Yellow and Blue.
    Coersive Field, Magnetized Projectiles, and Coersive Field again... took me 4 times to beat this one... my Captain Marvel isn't covered enough to be effective against his tiles 4/0/2. Had to wait for the AI to screw up and Don used the yellow AP instead of Mags, giving me the chance to kill him, used a meat shield to take a Ultra-Freon Beam, then finished the battle. After wiping out with my boosted characters, failed Stormneto, etc, finally beat it with my unboosted 2* team of Thor, OBW and Wolverine... lol.
  • Mawryk
    Mawryk Posts: 14
    Options
    Suddenly those purpleflag.pngicon_squirrelgirl.png covers don't look so bad.

Match purple, wait for inevitable coercive field, Nuts from above. No more icon_magneto.png

All you have to do is hope he doesn't spam his blue attack first!
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Strange scaling on this event. "Family Reunion I" starts at level 27 for me and it ramps up to level 94 by "Family Reunion VI", but then VII jumps to level 304. Apparently I did too well last event? Who knows?
  • ZootSax wrote:
    Strange scaling on this event. "Family Reunion I" starts at level 27 for me and it ramps up to level 94 by "Family Reunion VI", but then VII jumps to level 304. Apparently I did too well last event? Who knows?

The easier nodes in an event tend to be capped at a very low level regardless of what your scaling is. That said there's something really weird with your scaling because Family Reunion VI is 200 for me right now and Family Reunion VII is 259, and those two are supposed to be the hard nodes. Your VI is way too low and VII is way too high. It's almost as if you somehow transferred all your scaling on VI to VII.
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    Options
    JVReal wrote:
    Yeah, I was just reminded of the problem I had with this event last time... Family Reunion VII... ouch! Don feeding Classic Mags Yellow and Blue.
    Coersive Field, Magnetized Projectiles, and Coersive Field again... took me 4 times to beat this one... my Captain Marvel isn't covered enough to be effective against his tiles 4/0/2. Had to wait for the AI to screw up and Don used the yellow AP instead of Mags, giving me the chance to kill him, used a meat shield to take a Ultra-Freon Beam, then finished the battle. After wiping out with my boosted characters, failed Stormneto, etc, finally beat it with my unboosted 2* team of Thor, OBW and Wolverine... lol.

I've pulled it off with Grocket, Cage, and Blade to cover a rainbow. None of them are 166; I think that Grocket and Cage are 127 and 117 respectively, Blade's lower. Focus on Yellow/Green/Black matches, depending on what the board gives you, trying to get a Nightstalker tile out quickly and power up a Righteous Uppercut, using Blammo to destroy protect tiles & shake the board.

Lost Grocket once when the AI fired off CMags blue power two or three times without placing countdown tiles; took a beating another time, and steamrolled it recently with a black crit on turn 1.
  • The only way to convince the devs that back-to-back new characters is a bad idea is by not playing. So, I'll skip this PvE. Lets see how long I can keep that up...
  • darkmagearcanis
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, I love getting new characters. But back to back is too much. Couldn't they have just given out Beast covers for this event instead so that I could rest for a week. What happened to the every other week character release thing. I will likely go for progression and if in the process I am top 50 I will be happy. Only because KP will be the essential character for the next pve. Which if the next pve releases another new character that is a usable 3* that over shadows 4* again, KP will likely get the boot after the event.

D3 says: Daredevil is coming out soon, start grinding nodes for us, slave

I assume this if for Daredevil's new series coming out in 1 week. Yay.
  • ynglink
    ynglink Posts: 195
    Options
    As annoying as this last node for sub 1 has been in the past, I'm not having any issues with it this time around. Maybe it's because my scaling is messed up from the past couple of events? I've been jumping in last minute slices when a new bracket opens and I don't know how much that affects your scaling either.

Upside of this one though compared to The Hunt, I can sit down, clear out the full sub in 15 min. then go back to life. Pretty nice overall. That being said, I do think it's really bad for the characters to be Back to back. At least make it so not all the essentials are for icon_kamalakhan.png. Event though I have her, she isn't covered very well (only 2 covers) and I know this makes it super unfair for a lot of the other players who were unable to get her.
  • Sandfli
    Sandfli Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm consistently beating Family Reunion, which is close to 300 now (Mags & IM over 10,000 health points and the goon over 15,000), with the team of Patch, Loki and Daredevil. Patch's green for strike tiles and kill points. Loki's black to convert strike tiles created by Patch and protect tiles created by Mags and IM, and his purple to shake up the board when Daredevils red is placed along the edge of the board. Daredevil's red for major kill points, his pink to destroy protect tiles and his blue to stun Mags, preventing him from launching his red and blue.

Mags launches his coercive and IM launches his yellow. Then Loki converts all the protect tiles for them to strike tiles for me. Add Patch's strike tiles and all of a sudden, I have a board filled with strike tiles. Game ends pretty quickly after that, especially when I have 2 or 3 of Daredevil's red tiles on the board.
  • ynglink wrote:
    As annoying as this last node for sub 1 has been in the past, I'm not having any issues with it this time around. Maybe it's because my scaling is messed up from the past couple of events? I've been jumping in last minute slices when a new bracket opens and I don't know how much that affects your scaling either.

Upside of this one though compared to The Hunt, I can sit down, clear out the full sub in 15 min. then go back to life. Pretty nice overall. That being said, I do think it's really bad for the characters to be Back to back. At least make it so not all the essentials are for icon_kamalakhan.png. Event though I have her, she isn't covered very well (only 2 covers) and I know this makes it super unfair for a lot of the other players who were unable to get her.

I think both scaling is lower and my roster is more competent(RIP MAGSTORM)
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If the node prizes were randomly 25% per rather than 1 and done (followed by 20 ISO over and over again) I think I'd prefer 36 or 48 hour subs. The grind downs are the worst part and the 12 hour sub-fest for Kamala was brutal. Pacing this one out every other day doesn't feel so bad, they just need to boost the sub placement rewards to compensate.
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 746 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This back-to-back new character release bussiness better be a one-off, I think any form of keeping up would be turning near impossible in the long run otherwise. Maybe a 3 week rest period after this event whith respect to new releases...? Pretty please? icon_e_wink.gif

I tried something different this time to cut down on the event duration for me, so I joined a late bracket in slice 1 in stead of my 'usual' slice 3, and I think my hubris might have got the better of me. I found out the characters that are buffed are my lesser covered ones, and I found myself a bracket with some top players I think, so any hope of getting lucky and maybe finishing top 10 have pretty much turned to smoke (yup, eattack.png included). Ah well, maybe next time... will still try for top 50 and see where just trying to hit subs at the right time can get me, I guess. First clear of the sub was not too shabby so who knows...
  • Scoregasms
    Scoregasms Posts: 373
    Options
    Anybody else think 65k seems a bit high for top progression? I think I'll have around 30k by end of sub 2 if I'm lucky with scaling, maybe sub 3 has 20k worth and finally hitting it in the last sub?

I'm not playing like I normally do for a PVE and I'm gonna assume they don't open up Scottland Yard early for free points like last time (lol), but maybe my estimates are off and this is in line with previous events? I do have KK and if you don't have her and just trying to hit the progression, it seems a bit steep to me.
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Scoregasms wrote:
    Anybody else think 65k seems a bit high for top progression? I think I'll have around 30k by end of sub 2 if I'm lucky with scaling, maybe sub 3 has 20k worth and finally hitting it in the last sub?

I'm not playing like I normally do for a PVE and I'm gonna assume they don't open up Scottland Yard early for free points like last time (lol), but maybe my estimates are off and this is in line with previous events? I do have KK and if you don't have her and just trying to hit the progression, it seems a bit steep to me.

Some people will likely struggle since I assume high scorers (myself included) won't be reaching 3-5 times the max prog like normal.

Assumptions:

Last time this ran I scored 212K. That was under the old 3hr system and if history is any indicator the change to 8-hr refreshes will drop that by about 33%. So high scorers will probably be about double the max progression.
  • Scoregasms
    Scoregasms Posts: 373
    Options
    Yeah, I scored 197k the last time and got the top progression fairly early iirc, just checked the previous TaT thread and for 3 hour refreshes, top progression was 60k, now I definitely think this is an error (if intentional, that would seem odd without some sort of explanation ahead of time). Gdamn Starlord reward, you worthless son of a ... icon_e_smile.gif
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Scoregasms wrote:
    Yeah, I scored 197k the last time and got the top progression fairly early iirc, just checked the previous TaT thread and for 3 hour refreshes, top progression was 60k, now I definitely think this is an error (if intentional, that would seem odd without some sort of explanation ahead of time). Gdamn Starlord reward, you worthless son of a ... icon_e_smile.gif

Actually that would be the status quo for demi/d3 icon_lol.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if they made it harder so people would stop complaining that they hit the top reward after a few days and then have to grind for no reward the rest of the event. Of course now everyone will just complain that they can't get the top reward by just playing the last sub. *shrug*