**** Kingpin (Wilson Fisk) **** Updated (8/22/17)

Options

Comments

• Kingpin would be mad scary in PVE with 2 dons feeding him Yellow and Black, especially considering how often they use their black ability.
  • daibar wrote:
    Kingpin will be mad scary in PVE with 2 dons feeding him Yellow and Black, especially considering how often they use their black ability.

Fixed that for you.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Xenoberyll wrote:
    I don't get how people are exited about his yellow countdown ability when everybody seems to agree that sentry green is almost useless now.
    "Excited" is an overstatement, but this isn't a good comparison. If a WR tile sneaks through, it does 182 damage; if one of these tiles sneaks through, it does 3k damage.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    If a WR tile sneaks through, it does 182 damage; if one of these tiles sneaks through, it does 3k damage.
    Yeah, that's a 5 turn countdown though. 1.45k for the 3 turn tiles. I see it's better than Rupture but it's a relatively big IF imho. Well we'll see how he plays...
  • Demiurge_Anthony
    Demiurge_Anthony Posts: 156 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Hey MPQers!

We all are incredibly excited for you all to get to try out the newest villain to come to Marvel Puzzle Quest!

Kingpin has a long and storied past of being an incredibly intimidating villain. Don't know where to start? Good news! Casey's got you covered with his latest reading list!

Did we miss an important story or arc of this mastermind of crime? Please let us know!
  • Might want to spellcheck the title.
  • Demiurge_Anthony
    Demiurge_Anthony Posts: 156 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Might want to spellcheck the title.

Pfft, who even looks at the titles?

Fixed. Thanks for the heads up!
  • I realize that Kingpin's primarily been a Daredevil villain since the 80s, but there are some pretty memorable Spider-Man storylines (like the stuff with his son, Rose/Blood Rose) that I might have included as well.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    He'll be an intersting character with a few different builds, I will make a strong statement to say it would be dumb not to go at absolute minimum 4 black, but think 5 is the best way to go, as for purple and yellow I'm not sure, but considering black is Kingpin's only form of direct and instantaneous damage, it would be best to maximize that color.

Known's

4 Purple is bad, just bad, go 3 or 5

4 Black is the lowest this should go, but because purple should never, ever be 4 and you never want to go lower than 4 black, Kingpin sort of builds himself and you fall into 3 builds

4/5/4, 5/3/5, 5/5/3 anything other than these would be suboptimal
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So I played with a 3/5/5 Kingpin last night on my sandboxed account. I wasn't terribly impressed. He did do some massive damage when the countdowns went off, but even when playing against the AI only half went off. On defense he isn't a deterrent at all. I couldn't really think of any characters with good synergy with him. Let's be honest, Falcon has too low HP to be useful in a real PvP match. You don't even have rainbow coverage with 2 other 4 stars on your team due to his colors.

If anyone wants to give me some ideas for a good team, I will try to make a video of him to upload to Youtube sometime tomorrow.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    notamutant wrote:
    If anyone wants to give me some ideas for a good team, I will try to make a video of him to upload to Youtube sometime tomorrow.
    The only thing that makes sense to me is to put 5 in black, pair him with IF to accelerate black and Loki to spam cd tiles. Store black until the AI makes a match4, and then unload the black.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 691 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thinking about his CDs again, it seems like the ones you get at level 1 and 2 are the best ones because they have the shortest timers. So 5/5/3 should be fine, unless you're using him with XFWolvie.

A question: Do the goon abilites destroy multiple tiles, 3x3 or 5x5? Will Kingpin?
  • You've captured pretty much all of what I consider the "essential" Kingpin stories. "A man without hope... Is a man without fear." still sends chills down my spine.

A great often-overlooked Kingpin story is "severance package" from Spider-Man's Tangled Web #4
  • notamutant
    Options
    Thinking about his CDs again, it seems like the ones you get at level 1 and 2 are the best ones because they have the shortest timers. So 5/5/3 should be fine, unless you're using him with XFWolvie.

A question: Do the goon abilites destroy multiple tiles, 3x3 or 5x5? Will Kingpin?

I will get back to you later tonight when I try him out. I can't remember, but I think the black one might've destroyed multiple tiles. I don't think the yellow or blue ones did.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    He'll be an intersting character with a few different builds, I will make a strong statement to say it would be dumb not to go at absolute minimum 4 black, but think 5 is the best way to go, as for purple and yellow I'm not sure, but considering black is Kingpin's only form of direct and instantaneous damage, it would be best to maximize that color.

Known's

4 Black is the lowest this should go, but because purple should never, ever be 4 and you never want to go lower than 4 black, Kingpin sort of builds himself and you fall into 3 builds

I don't see why any particular number of purple is bad. I believe it destroys your enemy's strongest color and generates yellow for you. So four covers would destroy 6 of the enemy's strongest color and generate 5 yellow for you.

I could be reading that wrong, though. Not saying that 4 purple is good, I just don't see it as actively bad...
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    GrimSkald wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:

Known's

I don't see why any particular number of purple is bad. I believe it destroys your enemy's strongest color and generates yellow for you. So four covers would destroy 6 of the enemy's strongest color and generate 5 yellow for you.

I could be reading that wrong, though. Not saying that 4 purple is good, I just don't see it as actively bad...

Because you would be costing a cover in black or yellow to destroy 1 extra AP from the enemy team, that seems like a really bad upgrade.

Lvl 3--Destroy 5 AP and get 5 yellow AP
    Lvl 4--Destroy 6 AP and get 5 yellow AP
    Lvl 5--Destroy 6 AP and get 8 yellow AP

As you can see going from 3-4 is barely an upgrade, going to 5 is fine but going 4 is terrible considering you are either costing yourself damage on black or CD tiles on yellow all to destroy 1 more AP.
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Options
    MPQ fans!

By now, you've caught wind of Wilson Fisk's recent entry into the Marvel Puzzle Quest fray. To find out fresh details and uncover design insight on The Kingpin of Crime you'll want to take in this new interview with MPQ producer, Joe Fletcher at Marvel.com. The chat explores Kingpin's villainous powers and intimidating personality. Preview screenshots and ability sneak peeks are included. You know the drill - click for the skinny (or, un-skinny in this case)!

You can find it here.

PIECING TOGETHER MARVEL PUZZLE QUEST: KINGPIN
    Quote:
    "Marvel.com: A ruthless steel will and vicious intellect propelled Wilson Fisk from common street thug to Kingpin of New York to leader of the Hand. Which Fisk will we see in 'Marvel Puzzle Quest'?

Joe Fletcher: A bit of both, really. When designing him for the game, we wanted to bring forward the idea of him being the one behind everything, maneuvering the pieces into place, firmly discouraging foes when necessary, but never needing to deign to get into the action himself. Of course, Wilson Fisk, despite having a large frame, is also intensely fit, so if he were to get into a rumble, he could hold his own. In response to that, we decided to make him one of the tougher characters in the game to take down, with health nearly rivaling that of Thor (Goddess) herself."
  • I've always liked Wilson, recently read about half of the recommended reading list, and am excited about the power set.

...but it's a 4* hero, which means there's a 0% chance that I will ever get to play him.

icon_neutral.gif
  • shal melo wrote:
    I've always liked Wilson, recently read about half of the recommended reading list, and am excited about the power set.

...but it's a 4* hero, which means there's a 0% chance that I will ever get to play him.

icon_neutral.gif

don't worry he will be loaner next PVE and PVP then disappear forever. So you'll get to play him twice
  • notamutant
    Options
    Okay, it looks like he doesn't destroy multiple tiles when his countdowns go off, for any of them. I am in the process of posting my videos on youtube now to show Kingpin in action. I followed the advice on here, and used him with Iron Fist and Loki. No boosts were use to see how good he really is. I used this team in one of the harder PvE nodes out there, Family Reunion VII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fhAahr-uYM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxUFz9vNxik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rIepLM5pOc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK2INpvv_-w