Cabol Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    Options
    KT154 wrote:
    nnypirate wrote:
    th?id=HN.608024875491133426&pid=15.1
    001-0926194614-wrath-of-Kahn-2.jpg

106y2bm.png
  • Cabol wrote:
    Soooo... I understand wanting to put in Kamala... but why a 3rd Ms Marvel character when there's so many notable abscenses?

It's a book with a lot of buzz right now, and the character is getting a major push. I had figured it was only a matter of time before they got to her. If you haven't read her book, it's quite good, in my opinion.
  • x_new_yorka
    x_new_yorka Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Another Ms. Marvel. Epic fail.
    Come on D3, you can do better than that!
    So many other better shapeshifters. Mr. Fantastic, Carnage, Ghost Rider, Emma Frost, The Vision, etc......
    icon_arrow.gif next
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Another Ms. Marvel. Epic fail.
    Come on D3, you can do better than that!
    So many other better shapeshifters. Mr. Fantastic, Carnage, Ghost Rider, Emma Frost, The Vision, etc......
    icon_arrow.gif next
    You have a strange definition of shapeshifters. Emma Frost and Vision definitely do not shapeshift. I wouldn't call Ghost rider a shape shifter either, though I am a little more lenient there.
  • Demiurge_Anthony
    Demiurge_Anthony Posts: 156 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Hey MPQers!

As you all have seen by now, our next character is Kamala Khan. We are really excited to see what you all think of her!

The great thing with Kamala Khan is that we are the very start of her story. In this edition of Casey's Comic Reading List, we will not only get to see the beginning of Kamala's story, but get some background on who inspired Kamala as well as a good place to start to learn about Inhumans as well. Enjoy!
    http://www.demiurgestudios.com/blog/oh- ... ms-marvel/
  • I'll take this list as confirmation we're getting Lockjaw.
  • hurcules wrote:
    The one thing I noticed about tile colour-converting abilities is that the more constraints (TU tiles, special tiles etc) there are on the board, the higher chance of cascades. So KK purple may actually be better than most people expect. Time to bug NorthernPolarity to simulate this icon_e_smile.gif

Here's a very basic simulation on Turul's simulator, converting 8 blue to 8 green. This only gives you 3.5 green.
    http://mpqsim.0cdn.net/?commands=GB.Cha ... &runs=1000
    Changing 1 red and 7 blue to 8 green is slightly better:

Of course most people will be smarter. Eg, we'd try to select the best possible color and best tile where we'd get at least one green match.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    Changing 1 red and 7 blue to 8 green is slightly better
    Am I misunderstanding, or is that not what her ability does?
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    daibar wrote:
    Changing 1 red and 7 blue to 8 green is slightly better
    Am I misunderstanding, or is that not what her ability does?
    You select ONE tile, it changes x# off that same color green
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    hurcules wrote:
    The one thing I noticed about tile colour-converting abilities is that the more constraints (TU tiles, special tiles etc) there are on the board, the higher chance of cascades. So KK purple may actually be better than most people expect. Time to bug NorthernPolarity to simulate this icon_e_smile.gif

Here's a very basic simulation on Turul's simulator, converting 8 blue to 8 green. This only gives you 3.5 green.
    Changing 1 red and 7 blue to 8 green is slightly better:

Of course most people will be smarter. Eg, we'd try to select the best possible color and best tile where we'd get at least one green match.
    This might be more accurate:
    Lvl 5 purpleflag.png
    GSBWPurple(1,12); 
    GB.ChangeColorAbility([BLUE],[GREEN],n=7);
    GB.Cascade(MUTED=false,MUTED=false);

4.4 greentile.png AP on average. I wish there was a calculation of SD... seems like the AP generated could be highly variable.
    Lvl 3 purpleflag.png
    GSBWPurple(1,12); 
    GB.ChangeColorAbility([BLUE],[GREEN],n=4);
    GB.Cascade(MUTED=false,MUTED=false);

3 greentile.png AP (obviously), which is why I'm excited about a 5/3/5 build.

Anyhow, that should simulate a slightly smarter human, who makes that one placed tile match optimally, but doesn't spend time predicting the random tile effects.
  • GuntherBlobel
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    Mawtful wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    So I was looking at the description and saw:

"Converts a chosen basic tile and 2 random basic tiles of the same color to Green"

So does that mean it can pick say, green, as the random color, which results in doing absolutely nothing besides placing a single green tile? After all, you can use Deceptive Tactics over plain old green tiles and the game doesn't care about that, because a green tile is a basic tile too. That'd mean there's a 1/6 chance it'll do practically nothing and is that why it seems to be a bit too good as an ability, because of the chance of doing nothing?

Did they change Deceptive Tactics again? I recall a whole patch dedicated to changing DT so it cannot target Green tiles.

Edit: DT cannot target Green tiles. http://i.imgur.com/V03qxbC.jpg

For those keeping score, this is why Polarity shift was OP and Deceptive tactics wasn't. Maybe.

No, purpleflag.png Polarity Shift was OP because it generated bluetile.png AP, which fueled blueflag.png Infiltration, which in turn generates purpletile.png AP. blueflag.png Infiltration remains powerful because it generates purpletile.png AP, which is the theme for most other color changing abilities. End of story.

For all of those miffed at why KK has a purpleflag.png ability that generates greentile.png AP just like Widow: Please consider that color changing abilities with any color other than purpleflag.png will always be dangerous, because it may it could lead to chains of color changing infinite combos. (Also, AoE powers are commonly greenflag.png abilities.) These "themes" are pretty important from a design perspective, which is why KK and Widow seem so similar. But just imagine what would happen if a greenflag.png ability changed tiles to purpletile.png AP, for example. purpleflag.png Deceptive Tactics --> greenflag.png New Power --> purpleflag.png Deceptive Tactics... forever.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Her purple if maxed will be a better version of Doom's blue, the reason is, you choose the color, Doom's is always blue to black, and because you collected blue to use it it isn't always useable right away to get a good effect. Second, even if blue came back onto the board, it may not always be next to good spots next to black to generate the best cascade, with her you essentially get 5 other colors to pick to change and can opt for the best one, so I look at her cascades as generating slightly higher numbers than Doom, but not Thor or IF since they overwrite any tile but TU's.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    hurcules wrote:

I am in agreement here. If you look at her purple you should always get a match 3 with the 1 tile you choose, and then you are placing 7 more green on the board. She will also bring some life back to Pun, HT, Psylock with her healing.
    Her green is probably the best AOE in the game at 12AP.
    I will give D3 this they are making some really good characters one after another. Cage the anti damage, Cyxlops huge, IF broken scary, Professor X major support damage, and now a very good Khan. Even go back to squirt Girl who is preety solid, if not visually annoying.
  • raisinbman wrote:
    Mawtful wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    So I was looking at the description and saw:

"Converts a chosen basic tile and 2 random basic tiles of the same color to Green"

So does that mean it can pick say, green, as the random color, which results in doing absolutely nothing besides placing a single green tile? After all, you can use Deceptive Tactics over plain old green tiles and the game doesn't care about that, because a green tile is a basic tile too. That'd mean there's a 1/6 chance it'll do practically nothing and is that why it seems to be a bit too good as an ability, because of the chance of doing nothing?

Did they change Deceptive Tactics again? I recall a whole patch dedicated to changing DT so it cannot target Green tiles.

Edit: DT cannot target Green tiles. http://i.imgur.com/V03qxbC.jpg

For those keeping score, this is why Polarity shift was OP and Deceptive tactics wasn't. Maybe.

No, purpleflag.png Polarity Shift was OP because it generated bluetile.png AP, which fueled blueflag.png Infiltration, which in turn generates purpletile.png AP. blueflag.png Infiltration remains powerful because it generates purpletile.png AP, which is the theme for most other color changing abilities. End of story.

For all of those miffed at why KK has a purpleflag.png ability that generates greentile.png AP just like Widow: Please consider that color changing abilities with any color other than purpleflag.png will always be dangerous, because it may it could lead to chains of color changing infinite combos. (Also, AoE powers are commonly greenflag.png abilities.) These "themes" are pretty important from a design perspective, which is why KK and Widow seem so similar. But just imagine what would happen if a greenflag.png ability changed tiles to purpletile.png AP, for example. purpleflag.png Deceptive Tactics --> greenflag.png New Power --> purpleflag.png Deceptive Tactics... forever.

It was mostly a joke. One can change its own color to that same color and the other can't.
  • Picturing a Kamala, Sentry, Panther team.

Heals to sustain Sentry's self damage, 11-12 AP 3k+ aoes on three different colors, purple to feed green, strike tiles for fun and ...uh a blue power to trigger passive heals with icon_e_smile.gif
  • GuntherBlobel
    Options
    She's going to be part of any "hit me" team.

It's fitting that she'll let her hero, Captain Marvel, take a big hit, charge up, and then heal with each following Photonic Blast or Hypersonic Punch. If you ever misjudged the number of hits it would take to down the CMarv or the Hulk, well, KK is going to add insult to injury.

If you don't use stuns effectively, she basically will create an infinite loop with any character that gains AP by taking damage (Hulk, CMarv). KK just "buffed" every stun ability in the game.
  • I know she isn't out yet but I have to admit I am really impressed with the number of potential teams she would work well with. She has good abilities but nothing game that looks game breaking on the surface, but characteristically seems like she would work really well with a wide array of other characters.

Here is my question, who are you looking forward to teaming her up with. Hypothetically of course.

A few to start things off:

The Conductor : Devil dino, Khan, Xavier "Just watch what happens every time he waves his tiny arms"

RGB : Sentry, Kamala, Panther. "Yeah, we got AOEs"

Healing Knives : KK, Psylocke, Daken "I'm hurt! Well, go stab someone!"

Its Alive!! : Kamellama, Ragnarok, mnMags. "Can we overcharge a cyborg? Lets find out."

Combat Medic : Ares, Juggs, Nurse Kamala "I don't care if it hurts, get out there and headbut the enemy! For justice!"

Any other fun setups you guys can think of?
  • Kamala/Prof X/Devil Dino. Lots of dancing and passive triggers. I want to smash my phone thinking about it.

1yLxPyk.jpg
  • Gamora, KK, Iron Fist. - Quick Purple into Black then go Red and Purple into green. Gamora tanks Green/Red/Black/Blue.
  • konannfriends
    konannfriends Posts: 246 Tile Toppler
    Options
    this is definetly the partner Psylocke has always needed. cant wait to get my grubby little hands on her