**** Professor X (Charles Xavier) ****

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Best partner is basically anyone with a tile conversion power. Bonus points if that tile conversion happens to be their strongest color as well, although with him at 250 it sounds like your blueflag.png will be making blue AP. In that case Dr. Doom is a good choice for spending that blue to make crit tiles.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Just a suggestion, but can we please stop calling for PX's nerf? I actually like playing him on occasion, have worked hard to get several of his covers and have paid to finish leveling his covers. Only the devs have the stats, but I'm pretty sure the stats show that he is not overpowered. I do not see him all the time, is actually beatable on defense and tends to attract attacks. Being only a support character, he has to be paired with someone else that enhances his powers and therefore is not always a good choice on PvP.
    Is he fun? Yes. Can he finish matches early? If you are lucky yes. Do some people who don't have him wish him nerfed since they don't have him? I'm sure a little. But if that's the criteria to nerf all toons, then Marvel Gods help us, cause this game won't be fun for long.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I do not see him all the time, is actually beatable on defense and tends to attract attacks.
    That's an understatement. Do you want to know what happens when you're one battle away from the 725 point HP prog award, and your IF/BP are down, and you have no health packs, and you're on a train that's about to head into a tunnel with no reception, so you put in PX/GSBW to win that last battle? When you come out of the tunnel, you find out you've lost 184 points.
  • Unknown
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    I do not see him all the time, is actually beatable on defense and tends to attract attacks.
    When you come out of the tunnel, you find out you've lost 184 points.

I feel your pain... and... Ouch.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I don't think a character should be balanced around how people think especially since a lot of it is ignorance but it is indeed true that PX is hard to use in the PvP meta. He is very strong against the strongest player, like say if your opponent has a level boosted Hulkbuster + Iron Fist, he's going to say, "my team can beat anyone easily why should I take a chance PX do something crazy?" and skip and beat up any random other team. But a guy running an unboosted Thor + The Hood is going to say, "My team isn't all that good against those 2X240s but I think I can take on PX because he's only got 10K HP". And it doesn't matter if 1 out of 3 of those guys lose to you because there are 10 times the guys who are of the latter type than the former type so you still come out way behind. This is also why even fairly weak characters at 290 does help you because it scares the weak players away and yet even a weak player can beat you more than 50% of the time comfortably. Until they change PvP fundamentally the psychology does matter and that does keep PX held in check for now.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    I don't think a character should be balanced around how people think especially since a lot of it is ignorance but it is indeed true that PX is hard to use in the PvP meta. He is very strong against the strongest player, like say if your opponent has a level boosted Hulkbuster + Iron Fist, he's going to say, "my team can beat anyone easily why should I take a chance PX do something crazy?" and skip and beat up any random other team. But a guy running an unboosted Thor + The Hood is going to say, "My team isn't all that good against those 2X240s but I think I can take on PX because he's only got 10K HP". And it doesn't matter if 1 out of 3 of those guys lose to you because there are 10 times the guys who are of the latter type than the former type so you still come out way behind. This is also why even fairly weak characters at 290 does help you because it scares the weak players away and yet even a weak player can beat you more than 50% of the time comfortably. Until they change PvP fundamentally the psychology does matter and that does keep PX held in check for now.

I agree Phantron, well said
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I feel your pain... and... Ouch.
    On the plus side, my retal queue was filled with a lot of easy battles, as per Phantron's post. It wasn't a whole lot of maxed out IF/BPs that were coming after me.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Just a suggestion, but can we please stop calling for PX's nerf?
    nope

And if you think the devs know what to do with their stats....

Anyone with AP tricks is viable to be nerfed in D3's eyes.
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    Just a suggestion, but can we please stop calling for PX's nerf?
    nope

And if you think the devs know what to do with their stats....

Anyone with AP tricks is viable to be nerfed in D3's eyes.
    He is beatable, unless you are a noob.same as xf, hb, goddess etc but the only way anyone should be fighting any of these guys is for 30+pts.
  • chill21genlee
    chill21genlee Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options
    I Finally got wheels covered up enough for him to be a beast when paired with the likes of gsbw or other non random tile manipulators...but now i am terrified they will nerf him.
    i could actually see a minor tweak like a minor reduction to dmg output on the floating head of death (master plan), but im worried they will snap over nerf him like they have done to others...wanted some other educated opinions..as opposed to trolling or flame baiting please...
    try to remove bias if a bot x has pwned u in gauntlet or elsewhere and opine on whether he needs adjustment
  • chill21genlee
    chill21genlee Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options
    so the power explanation doesnt specifically indicate "cannot be targeted" versus "cannot be damaged"...
    but one would think that it would be exceptionally difficult to connect a hit on an invisible person...
    Following that logic and assuming it was the intent (which i hope is the case since it makes more sense subjectively )....
    My Prof x was recently damaged by a Maggias tommy gun move while invisible and i dont think he should be...or any aoe for that matter...
    i believe that the invis tile he throws can be seen by the enemy..so it should be on them to clear it first before he can take dmg..
    just my admittedly biased opinion but also perhaps a bug for tommy gun move specifically as i have never noticed him being hit while invis w any other char or bot attacks
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    He has two of the hallmarks of a character bound for the nerf bat: His signature move involves big AP gain and he's widely acknowledged as one of the strongest characters in the game specifically because of that. Don't be scared off putting ISO into him because he will win you fights and get you high placement for the foreseeable future, but I'd think twice, and then a third time, before buying any covers with HP.
  • Unknown
    Options
    He won't be nerfed for a good while. Count on HB being nerfed before him.
  • Unknown
    Options
    They're either going to nerf him or Iron Fist (or both). They can't both stay as is for there to be any meaningful roster diversity in most events and it's really hard to guess which route D3 will take. I'm inclined to think if you have to pick one you'd have to go with the nerf on Iron Fist because Iron Fist is broken on his own without Prof X while Prof X quickly becomes a pretty balanced guy with Iron Fist removed. Magneto (MN) and GSBW are problematic too, but those two characters are flawed in significant way that you'll at least lose your games on PvP just as fast as you're winning them, and for PvE GSBW is a bit too slow against overscaled guys while Magneto lacks HPs against those guys if he's not boosted.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't have enough covers of him to say he is or is not getting the Thores treatment, but I will say this. I never really see him in PVP and that seems to be where the Nerf bat hits. I think HB and the new character will get nerfed before the Profesor. Th new character will do 13k damage for 11 green hav a passive for attack tiles and 5K damage for 7 red. The red might also do self team damage, but this character is still super powerful and will be big time in PVP especially for defense and shield hopping. I think th Devs feel IF lower health keeps him in balance, and Profesor x being dependent on others and smart game play keeps him balanced.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Professor X just isn't very flexible to use in PvP. He obviously demands being with Iron Fist, but Prof X + Iron Fist with a featured that can't use black isn't exactly a great team. The next best team to put him with might be Scarlet Witch but then you also need someone who can use purple since Scarlet Witch's purple isn't all that good either. After that you end up having guys that both can't defend at all (GSBW, Magneto) and takes a while to get going. In PvE he's very dominant since you can usually pick everyone on the team.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    They're either going to nerf him or Iron Fist (or both). They can't both stay as is for there to be any meaningful roster diversity in most events and it's really hard to guess which route D3 will take. I'm inclined to think if you have to pick one you'd have to go with the nerf on Iron Fist because Iron Fist is broken on his own without Prof X while Prof X quickly becomes a pretty balanced guy with Iron Fist removed. Magneto (MN) and GSBW are problematic too, but those two characters are flawed in significant way that you'll at least lose your games on PvP just as fast as you're winning them, and for PvE GSBW is a bit too slow against overscaled guys while Magneto lacks HPs against those guys if he's not boosted.
    What are you talking about. There are no IF/PX teams in pvp.
  • Unknown
    Options
    ArkPrime wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

Sure, because it only makes sense to run that team when the featured is Black Panther, IMHB, Luke Cage with 5 black, or Iron Fist and one of the weekly boosted character is one of those 3 previous guys. Statistically the chance of all this happening is not very good at all.
  • Unknown
    Options
    From experience he's very hit or miss. A bad board will wreck PX if he can't get invisible or pull any match 5's so you're basically man down. I've had entire matches where all he was good for was pitiful little tiles that go the way of the wind in a turn or two. And unless he's underleveled his blue is mini nerfed (i use the term very generously) because he'll only create blue AP which neither him or IF can use. His HP is also pretty pathetic and **** doesn't protect against AoE.

I hope they leave him alone because he makes **** characters fun. I'm maxing out Beast because the two function very well together.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    ArkPrime wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

Sure, because it only makes sense to run that team when the featured is Black Panther, IMHB, Luke Cage with 5 black, or Iron Fist and one of the weekly boosted character is one of those 3 previous guys. Statistically the chance of all this happening is not very good at all.
    Do you have a playable PX? You're overestimating him massively I feel