Divine Champions

Options

Comments

• I just don't understand how it is allowed to beat the same guy multiple times. In all normal tournaments baser on mmr-like pairing that is strictly forbidden. For a good reason too.

So once you attacked someone he must be banned for you further on in normal pairing, only available through retaliation.
  • pasa_ wrote:
    I just don't understand how it is allowed to beat the same guy multiple times. In all normal tournaments baser on mmr-like pairing that is strictly forbidden. For a good reason too.

So once you attacked someone he must be banned for you further on in normal pairing, only available through retaliation.
    Besides that, if you get lucky, you get to beat on the same shielded guy that's above you for hundreds of points. If you're unlucky, you get to beat on the same 6 people that are worth 0-10 points.
  • This is by far the worst tournament that has been run. Can't wait for it to end
  • Daedelus wrote:
    This is by far the worst tournament that has been run. Can't wait for it to end

I disagree. I got an easy bracket in the first round and cruised to my first #1 finish, by a 900-point lead, and I made 1800 points for both Loki covers. I had planned to stop at ~900 for top five, but in the last 90 minutes of the tournament, I found 5-6 shielded 2400-point tank teams. Easiest finish I ever had. My guess is there will be plenty of 2400-point tank teams tomorrow night in the final hours, too. All you have to do is look.
  • wathombe wrote:
    Daedelus wrote:

I disagree. I got an easy bracket in the first round and cruised to my first #1 finish, by a 900-point lead, and I made 1800 points for both Loki covers. I had planned to stop at ~900 for top five, but in the last 90 minutes of the tournament, I found 5-6 shielded 2400-point tank teams. Easiest finish I ever had. My guess is there will be plenty of 2400-point tank teams tomorrow night in the final hours, too. All you have to do is get lucky.
    Fixed that for you. Some people never find the 2400-point tank teams.
  • You shouldn't be basing the enjoyment of a tournament based on how many people are tanking so that you can get a free ride, even though I certainly won't turn down a free ride.

This mission is actually pretty good overall due to the extreme overall parity, but it also just highlights how stupid it is when you've a nearly equal playing field with most people stuck around 500-700 range and then a few guys can just beat on shielded bagman for 2400 points.
  • mischiefmaker
    Options
    I think the biggest reason people aren't having as much fun with this tournament is that there are too many characters who are both common and boosted.

It's fun when you have a boosted Thor and can take out the opponent's boosted Thor, then hammer (pun intended) the remaining two members of the team mercilessly. Not so much when the remaining two members of the team still have 15k health and can dish out the same level of damage.
  • Derethus wrote:
    wathombe wrote:
    Daedelus wrote:

I disagree. I got an easy bracket in the first round and cruised to my first #1 finish, by a 900-point lead, and I made 1800 points for both Loki covers. I had planned to stop at ~900 for top five, but in the last 90 minutes of the tournament, I found 5-6 shielded 2400-point tank teams. Easiest finish I ever had. My guess is there will be plenty of 2400-point tank teams tomorrow night in the final hours, too. All you have to do is get lucky.

Until they add the skip tax, I think they're findable. I did fight actual teams salted in with the tank teams, both shielded and unshielded, both 2400-point and ~1200-point. My point is that with the current setup, there are going to be a fair number of shielded 2400-point teams out there right at the end of a tourney. The more of them there are, the better the chance that you can find them. I usually get two fights with each of the ones that I find before they sink below my MMR. Fortunately there seemed to be so many on Wednesday morning that another 1 or 2 were no more than 1 or 2 fights away.

And I'm not basing my enjoyment on the tank team factor. Honestly, it was just a delightful bonus. I was more than happy to finish #2-5 with 900 points. All I wanted were the Punisher covers and my last Ares cover. I checked opponents before going to bed, though, and easily jumped up to 1200 for the first Loki cover. Then I checked again on the train in the morning, saw a couple tank teams, so I unshielded and went for it. Why wouldn't I?

Also, I skipped any team with a Thor anywhere north of the 40-50 range. Super-pleasant tournament.

Note that, at the time, I was grabbing the standard token from each LR round and then tanking it, so this kept my MMR low, at least when starting each jump in DC. Might not work so well tomorrow night with no LR rounds to tank.
  • I joined this morning and it looks like I got lucky with a not really competitive bracket. Top score is around 500 at the moment. It's my first tourney that I haven't rushed to the top since this time I'm shooting to finish off OBW, and it's nice to have a lowish score that isn't as appealing to hit even though my team is an easy win on defense. I may try running this way more often.
  • wathombe wrote:
    Derethus wrote:
    wathombe wrote:
    Daedelus wrote:

Until they add the skip tax, I think they're findable. I did fight actual teams salted in with the tank teams, both shielded and unshielded, both 2400-point and ~1200-point. My point is that with the current setup, there are going to be a fair number of shielded 2400-point teams out there right at the end of a tourney. The more of them there are, the better the chance that you can find them. I usually get two fights with each of the ones that I find before they sink below my MMR. Fortunately there seemed to be so many on Wednesday morning that another 1 or 2 were no more than 1 or 2 fights away.

And I'm not basing my enjoyment on the tank team factor. Honestly, it was just a delightful bonus. I was more than happy to finish #2-5 with 900 points. All I wanted were the Punisher covers and my last Ares cover. I checked opponents before going to bed, though, and easily jumped up to 1200 for the first Loki cover. Then I checked again on the train in the morning, saw a couple tank teams, so I unshielded and went for it. Why wouldn't I?

Also, I skipped any team with a Thor anywhere north of the 40-50 range. Super-pleasant tournament.

Note that, at the time, I was grabbing the standard token from each LR round and then tanking it, so this kept my MMR low, at least when starting each jump in DC. Might not work so well tomorrow night with no LR rounds to tank.
    Some people still never find the tank teams. There's a lot of time when you get stuck rotating the same 6 people for a good 5-10 minutes of skipping, only to be left with the next 6 worthless opponents. I don't doubt they're findable, it just really frustrating for some and extremely easy for others.
  • Phantron wrote:
    You shouldn't be basing the enjoyment of a tournament based on how many people are tanking so that you can get a free ride, even though I certainly won't turn down a free ride.

This mission is actually pretty good overall due to the extreme overall parity, but it also just highlights how stupid it is when you've a nearly equal playing field with most people stuck around 500-700 range and then a few guys can just beat on shielded bagman for 2400 points.

My shielded level 25 C.Storm, 20 Thor, and 20 Ares team are at 459 points now. I guess it's a somewhat challenging team for some people. All of them get buffs and I've been collecting points along the way. I've been shielded for 13 hours. I was thinking there was a lack shielded people at the lower levels. Perhaps it is part of the problem.
  • I joined this morning and it looks like I got lucky with a not really competitive bracket. Top score is around 500 at the moment. It's my first tourney that I haven't rushed to the top since this time I'm shooting to finish off OBW, and it's nice to have a lowish score that isn't as appealing to hit even though my team is an easy win on defense. I may try running this way more often.
    The bracket you get placed in is entirely determined by when you start. The first 500 people to play are in the first bracket, the next 500 make the next bracket, and so on.

Your bracket consists of players who all started within a certain time of you, so it'd be rare for someone to have a particularly high score.
  • Bugpop wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    You shouldn't be basing the enjoyment of a tournament based on how many people are tanking so that you can get a free ride, even though I certainly won't turn down a free ride.

My shielded level 25 C.Storm, 20 Thor, and 20 Ares team are at 459 points now. I guess it's a somewhat challenging team for some people. All of them get buffs and I've been collecting points along the way. I've been shielded for 13 hours. I was thinking there was a lack shielded people at the lower levels. Perhaps it is part of the problem.

It's understandable that people will be less inclined to shield with less points, but this just makes the problem worse. You could be fighting the same 6 guys and barely make any progress for hours, or you can find that one guy who is shielded and get 300 points from him in 30 minutes. I suppose the skip tax is supposed to reduce the ability to hit the same guy over and over again (or at least make it harder), but a better fix would be to make sure you can't just attack the same guy repeatedly to begin with.
  • What determines in which bracket you are placed? Does the game place you in a bracket as soon as open the app, enter the tournament screen, or after you attack the first opponent? When you enter the tournament screen for the first time there are already some opponents waiting for you to attack which leads me to believe that you are already assigned to a bracket. If this is the case, then in order to enter in a mid/late bracket you have to know when the tournament starts and delay opening the app for X hours. Does anyone know for sure?
  • When you attack your first opponent and complete the battle.
  • Narkon wrote:
    What determines in which bracket you are placed? Does the game place you in a bracket as soon as open the app, enter the tournament screen, or after you attack the first opponent? When you enter the tournament screen for the first time there are already some opponents waiting for you to attack which leads me to believe that you are already assigned to a bracket. If this is the case, then in order to enter in a mid/late bracket you have to know when the tournament starts and delay opening the app for X hours. Does anyone know for sure?

Your bracket is separate from who you're able to attack. Those are determined by your MMR and your current point total. Bracket is just determined by the time when you initiate your first attack, and it's a collection of people who started at around the same time.
  • Derethus wrote:
    I joined this morning and it looks like I got lucky with a not really competitive bracket. Top score is around 500 at the moment. It's my first tourney that I haven't rushed to the top since this time I'm shooting to finish off OBW, and it's nice to have a lowish score that isn't as appealing to hit even though my team is an easy win on defense. I may try running this way more often.
    The bracket you get placed in is entirely determined by when you start. The first 500 people to play are in the first bracket, the next 500 make the next bracket, and so on.

Your bracket consists of players who all started within a certain time of you, so it'd be rare for someone to have a particularly high score.

Right I get this. It seems like people are taking it easy right now though. It looks like people are adjusting to the changes and not making themselves targets is the point. Usually I am hammered with attacks because my team is not that scary but so far not a single attack all day. I like being near the middle
  • wathombe wrote:
    Until they add the skip tax, I think they're findable.
    No, they're not. I'm not kvetching because I'm not getting enough free stuff and it's not fair, man, some other guy got free stuff - I sailed largely unopposed to the end of the progression awards and kept going for good measure a couple of tournaments back, so I've had my turn at the laughably easy 4* fountain. More or less all against legit teams, but when you're Thorverine boosting it's not as if it matters what you're killing in four turns. Then Rage and Ruin 2 I got stuck in a bubble of 6-15pt opponents and was barely able to limp past 1k for top 5. Meanwhile, people are tearing up to 2400 off 40-50pt bagmen and not even bothering to put shields up, because no one seems able to see them any more. Exactly what Demiurge is up to I don't know, but the match-making clearly isn't doing what they've said they intend it to.
  • While playing a ton slightly increases your chance of seeing the freebie teams, there are a lot of people out there that's playing a ton that is ready to pounce on you the moment you've a small lead. There is definitely no way to reliably find the shielded guys aside from playing more than anyone else (so that your points are high enough and likely only see other high point guys who tend to be shielded). By the way, it doesn't even matter if they're putting a tank team. Yesterday the I ran into a 1000 rating legitmate team, and that was the first team I attacked and I found out that team was shielded. Got about 500 points in an hour attacking them and boosting every game, and if not for my earlier retaliations constantly nailing me for 50 points from guys I have no idea who they are, it'd be a pretty smooth sailing too.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hulk/Patch/C.Storm, up against level 85 Thor/Ares/CStorm

I was mostly playing around with teams when I tried the above in the tourney. It was an amusing match to watch. I went in with 6 green from boosts.

First round -- match 3 green.
    Second round -- Patch uses Berserker rage, put up 12 strike tiles.
    The C.Storms get into a slap fight. Each round of it, Hulk gets angrier. 4 slaps later, the enemy C.Storm goes down.
    4 Angers get triggered, lots of green rolls in.
    Patch uses Berserker rage again.
    Match 3 green to end turn, killing Ares.
    Third round -- Match three red to kill Thor.

My team got shredded, but it was amusing to watch, and they all survived. If my Patch was at level 140 instead of just level 67, I think the fight would have ended on round 2.