Divine Champions

Comments

• I wish my Patch had a higher cap than 41, because I'd love to play around with him while he's still bugged. I wonder if he will be an award for anything else before they roll out the next patch...
  • Thank you NorthernPolarity, the advice to tank hard worked a treat. Managed to grind up to 1200 pretty easily, the final 100 pts was a pain with one guy hitting me for 40 pts every two battles I could win for about 45-50. Wasn't fortunate enough to come across any tank teams, but can't complain lol.

Hit 1200, then started to show up in the crosshairs of 500-600 range people, who knocked me back to 1100 pretty quick! Shielded now, Bagman allstars in operation, if anyone wants some easy points icon_e_wink.gif

NB. the decision to allow anyone to target you, whatever their point total, is totally daft to me. It's hard enough grinding points as it is, without that work disappearing in moments due to being bashed by people with low scores. Don't get that one at all. icon_e_confused.gif
  • I will likely get trolled for this but how are teams getting to 1200-2400 so easily? Most tournaments I've played in I'm surrounded with 10-20pt battles. Do I just spam skip till I hit some 40-50pts? I have noticed that there are occasions where I am getting hit for a lot of points but when I retaliate I get a measly 10 pts or some such.

Also if they wanted to prevent "farming" they could just make it so you have to cycle through every other opponent before you get that easy kill again.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    thatguy13 wrote:
    I will likely get trolled for this but how are teams getting to 1200-2400 so easily? Most tournaments I've played in I'm surrounded with 10-20pt battles. Do I just spam skip till I hit some 40-50pts? I have noticed that there are occasions where I am getting hit for a lot of points but when I retaliate I get a measly 10 pts or some such.

Also if they wanted to prevent "farming" they could just make it so you have to cycle through every other opponent before you get that easy kill again.

I think 'so easily' might not be accurate. It's a combination of having a good team (quick to kill, less likely to be attacked by low-level teams, able to sustain health losses), picking battles wisely (teams unlikely to retaliate, teams you suspect are shielded), playing at unpopular hours (in relation to the US), playing infrequently but in long stretches (2 hours of play at a time possibly).

Some people say getting lucky is a part of it, too...but I see the same people at the top every time, I doubt they (and I) 'get lucky' as much as people would assume.
  • It's rarely a good idea to retaliate against someone worth less than 25 points, unless they're shielded, because they're likely to then retaliate against you and you'll keep losing points overall with every iteration until they've caught up with you.

The one time I've been able to do that, it was a combination of luck (I had a good Ares in the first R&R before a lot of other people), timing (I was home sick for the two days of the tournament and took advantage of odd weekday hours), and shielding (when it was cheap).
  • Nemek wrote:
    thatguy13 wrote:
    I will likely get trolled for this but how are teams getting to 1200-2400 so easily? Most tournaments I've played in I'm surrounded with 10-20pt battles. Do I just spam skip till I hit some 40-50pts? I have noticed that there are occasions where I am getting hit for a lot of points but when I retaliate I get a measly 10 pts or some such.

I think 'so easily' might not be accurate. It's a combination of having a good team (quick to kill, less likely to be attacked by low-level teams, able to sustain health losses), picking battles wisely (teams unlikely to retaliate, teams you suspect are shielded), playing at unpopular hours (in relation to the US), playing infrequently but in long stretches (2 hours of play at a time possibly).

Some people say getting lucky is a part of it, too...but I see the same people at the top every time, I doubt they (and I) 'get lucky' as much as people would assume.

That's because they play more than anyone else and if you play more than anyone else you'd eventually get to the range where people are shielded.

The strategy part is pretty much irrelevent unless you have Magneto because every other team is roughly equally strong without a maxed Magento. I seriously doubt people haven't figured out that high point targets are the best to attack. The most important part is probably playing at odd hours, because even with an extremely powerful team, you're still never escaping anyone who can see you. Even if you can win ten times as fast as someone else, that's still nowhere enough to escape 5 guys who can constantly see you as a 40 point target.
  • So if I am understanding correctly, what I should be doing is using my normal hours to just tank and keep my retaliation numbers somewhat low then play at say 2am, searching for easy high point targets and cruise to those high point totals? If this is true, that may be good for me as I'd as soon pick up a few covers from rewards and not have to worry about the last minute race to finish high.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    thatguy13 wrote:
    So if I am understanding correctly, what I should be doing is using my normal hours to just tank and keep my retaliation numbers somewhat low then play at say 2am, searching for easy high point targets and cruise to those high point totals? If this is true, that may be good for me as I'd as soon pick up a few covers from rewards and not have to worry about the last minute race to finish high.

This is exactly what i have been doing. Playing around 10 hours before the end of the tournament is ideal since you can put up an 8 hour shield at the end of grinding.
  • This is exactly what i have been doing. Playing around 10 hours before the end of the tournament is ideal since you can put up an 8 hour shield at the end of grinding.

I hear you on that, trying to use the 3 hour one is pointless, everyone and their dog is doing that it seems.
  • Keeping your mmr in check is by far the most important factor over what time you play. In the last 4 pvp events I've played, I've placed first, first, first, and second. The second place finish was when I went unshielded for the last twelve hours of the event and didn't play in that time either. I usually play in prime time too, the evenings in the US

You HAVE to manage your mmr
  • Just need one cover of each color and my punisher will be complete. I'm waiting until late tonight to enter in hope to get an easy bracket. Finished top 5 in the first iteration.
  • Eh, in this tourney MMR is not as huge a factor. A ton of people even in relatively tanked MMR's have high level Thors and Ares.
  • jozier wrote:
    Eh, in this tourney MMR is not as huge a factor. A ton of people even in relatively tanked MMR's have high level Thors and Ares.

Could not disagree more, I think you'd be surprised how deep you can tank
  • Tanking is irrelevent when it comes to shielding. You're never going to get a bunch of opponents who are so weak that none of them will attack you when you're worth 40 points. If you're not going to spend HP on shields, your only hope is to play at oddball hours where nobody is awake to attack you in the first place, and hope that a shielded person magically appears on your matchup list (otherwise when these guys wake up they'll still retaliate you). The MMR cannot possibly know who is going to use a shield so trying to manipulate it is pointless. High scores are propped up by the shielded teams and there isn't any reliable way to find them unless you simply play more than anyone else can.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    jozier wrote:
    Eh, in this tourney MMR is not as huge a factor. A ton of people even in relatively tanked MMR's have high level Thors and Ares.

Tanking lets you get up to 600-700ish while facing im35s.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Phantron wrote:
    Tanking is irrelevent when it comes to shielding. You're never going to get a bunch of opponents who are so weak that none of them will attack you when you're worth 40 points. If you're not going to spend HP on shields, your only hope is to play at oddball hours where nobody is awake to attack you in the first place, and hope that a shielded person magically appears on your matchup list (otherwise when these guys wake up they'll still retaliate you). The MMR cannot possibly know who is going to use a shield so trying to manipulate it is pointless. High scores are propped up by the shielded teams and there isn't any reliable way to find them unless you simply play more than anyone else can.

First divine tourney I got to 1800 and went unshielded for the last twelve (!!!) hours. I got attacked zero times in that twelve hours. My team was 85 Thor, 90 Rag, 55 Ares. Intimidating but far from godly. I used zero shields the entire tourney and only played in the US evening time frame
  • jozier wrote:

Tanking lets you get up to 600-700ish while facing im35s.

That range has never been hard to get to. What matters is can you ever escape from that, and the only way you're escaping is by finding the fabled bagman tank team. But there is absolutely nothing MMR can do to predict which of your opponent is going to be a fabled bagman tank team.
  • entropic01 wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Tanking is irrelevent when it comes to shielding. You're never going to get a bunch of opponents who are so weak that none of them will attack you when you're worth 40 points. If you're not going to spend HP on shields, your only hope is to play at oddball hours where nobody is awake to attack you in the first place, and hope that a shielded person magically appears on your matchup list (otherwise when these guys wake up they'll still retaliate you). The MMR cannot possibly know who is going to use a shield so trying to manipulate it is pointless. High scores are propped up by the shielded teams and there isn't any reliable way to find them unless you simply play more than anyone else can.

First divine tourney I got to 1800 and went unshielded for the last twelve (!!!) hours. I got attacked zero times in that twelve hours. My team was 85 Thor, 90 Rag, 55 Ares. Intimidating but far from godly. I used zero shields the entire tourney

Yes, that's called being lucky. Yesterday I got to around 1200 in an hour from beating up two punchbag teams. After they disappeared I've yet to be anywhere close to 1000 no matter how much I played.
  • Phantron wrote:
    entropic01 wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

First divine tourney I got to 1800 and went unshielded for the last twelve (!!!) hours. I got attacked zero times in that twelve hours. My team was 85 Thor, 90 Rag, 55 Ares. Intimidating but far from godly. I used zero shields the entire tourney

Yes, that's called being lucky. Yesterday I got to around 1200 in an hour from beating up two punchbag teams. After they disappeared I've yet to be anywhere close to 1000 no matter how much I played.

Feel free to believe what you will but as I mentioned I've riden my strategy to top 2 in four consecutive tournaments. I didn't hit any bag teams this last one but did in previous ones
  • Still haven't started my bracket and have no interest in the tourney except for the Loki. Wonder how long it would take to get to 1200 if I wait. Would get up there and then put up a bagman team. Would imagine doing 40/50 points per battle would make it there in no time.